Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-05-19, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
D-Day ~ 75th Anniversary

June 6, 1944 The Allies embark on taking back Western Europe.

Films that depict the events of the invasion against Hitler's Atlantic Wall

Ike: Countdown to D-Day (2004 made for TV)

The Longest Day (1962 film)

D-Day the Sixth of June (1956 film)

The Americanization of Emily (1964 film)
... a war film incorporating romantic / dark comedy / drama

Saving Private Ryan (1998 film)

Overlord (1975 film)

Breakthrough (1950 film)

Screaming Eagles (1956 film)

The Big Red One (1980 film)

D-Day Remembered (1994 film ~ documentary )
.... made for The National D-Day Museum.

PBS / D-Day at Pointe du Hoc

----

From Ike: Countdown to D-Day
Quote:
The movie accurately depicts the incident which nearly torpedoed Overlord. In a drunken scene at a restaurant, Major General Henry Jervis Friese Miller — a West Point classmate of Eisenhower and his chief of the Materiel Command, USAFE — blurted out the general time and place of Overlord. A lieutenant of the 101st Airborne overheard this and reported it up the chain of command. Miller was sent home in his permanent establishment rank of Colonel. Lt. Gen. Bedell Smith spoke to the lieutenant and reported that the officer felt bad about doing what he did, but that he was worried enough about the lives of his men on the day they went to war without letting the Germans know when and where. Eisenhower on hearing this said the officer was better than Miller. He told Miller that it was their longstanding friendship that prevented him from court-martialing him.

:>---

EGA

Last edited by ohiopup; 06-06-19 at 07:16 AM. Reason: missed a 'c' = incorporating
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-19, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
You forgot about Band of Brother that shows D-Day from a 'Troopers perspective.

Old 06-05-19, 10:10 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Like them all.
Old 06-05-19, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I cannot imagine the hell they went through. Much respect for the greatest generation.

Have a few friends over there right now doing the commemorative D-Day jump in Normandy.
Old 06-05-19, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Bless those brave men who saved the world.
Old 06-05-19, 05:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Abdullah is on a distinguished road
Honor to last generation of great american men to fight just war.

Alhamdulillah
Old 06-05-19, 09:39 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
It is easy to forget that the invasion was never a sure thing. Eisenhower's letter "in case of failure" is haunting and shows how a real leader responds to defeat:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

God Bless the young American, British, French and Polish men who made that leap from aircraft doors and landing craft ramps into the darkness and into enemy fire.
Old 06-06-19, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
It is easy to forget that the invasion was never a sure thing. Eisenhower's letter "in case of failure" is haunting and shows how a real leader responds to defeat:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

God Bless the young American, British, French and Polish men who made that leap from aircraft doors and landing craft ramps into the darkness and into enemy fire.
That’s accountability and real leadership.
Old 06-06-19, 06:57 AM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Read D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.
Old 06-06-19, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
You forgot about Band of Brother that shows D-Day from a 'Troopers perspective....]
I can't walk on water; so I learned to swim.

==============

A few more...

----

Victory At Sea - D-Day - Episode 15 of 26 (documentary TV) / originally broadcast
by NBC (1952–1953).

The Allied invasion of Normandy is detailed—from preparation to execution—via vintage footage from both sides.

Richard Rodgers (of Broadway fame) composed the theme music; Rodgers
contributed 12 "themes"—short piano compositions a minute or two in length; (preseved in the
Rodgers Collection at the Library of Congress . Robert R. Bennett did all of the orchestrating,
and composed much more original material than Rodgers.

One of several album covers (LP)

----

The World at War ~ "Morning (June – August 1944)" #17 of the 26-episode British
television documentary series made in the 1970s (1973-74)...
The development and execution of Operation Overlord starting with the failed Dieppe Raid,
followed by the allied breakout and battles in the Bocage and at Falaise.

----

Foyle's War ("All Clear") A BBC series ~ this segment centers around
"Exercise Tiger".

April 1944: A rehearsal for the Normandy invasion in Southern England. Due to bad
communications; 700+ American casualties resulted from friendly fire and Allied ships
in support were attacked by German E-boats (similar to US PT-boats). The incident kept
a secret and was only rarely reported later.

----

Red Ball Express (1952 film)
The story of a unit of the supply chain (6-by trucks) that carried the goods
to wage war to the front lines (notably Patton's 3rd Army).
Almost 75% of Red Ball Express drivers were African Americans.

A 1970s TV sitcom Roll Out was based on this movie.

----

Darby's Rangers (1958 film)
Background story about the reformation of the US Army Rangers and it's
carasmatic leader Col. William O. Darby.

EGA
Old 06-06-19, 08:49 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post

Had the Germans committed their panzer divisions immediately against the beachheads we could have been driven back into the sea. Beyond the terrible carnage that would have caused among our soldiers how many more would have died in the death camps had the war dragged on another year?

And in the end all of Western Europe may have fallen under the Soviet yoke which would have meant these poor people simply traded one hellish regime for another.

The world owes so much to the men who hit the beaches 75 years ago today.
Old 06-06-19, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

On a lighter side, this D-Day vet still parachutes at the grand old age of 97!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-ric...mp-2019-06-05/

I love the guy's comment:

The plan was to jump in tandem, harnessed along with Art Shaffer.

"He's jumped at a lot of these events over the years, so it's not his first one," Shaffer said. "Not his first rodeo, that's correct."

There aren't too many 97-year-old rodeo riders. But there is one 97-year-old parachute jumper, arriving in daylight and waving the flag this time, a different kind of jump requiring a different kind of bravery.

"They weren't shooting at me," Rice said.
Old 06-06-19, 09:00 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
That generation (sadly, mostly passed on by now) truly deserves the title of "Greatest Generation".
All across America, both men and women didn't just talk the talk of sacrifice, honesty, integrity, accountability, service to others, and certainly bravery -- they walked the walk.
Old 06-06-19, 09:15 AM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Old 06-06-19, 09:22 AM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
That generation (sadly, mostly passed on by now) truly deserves the title of "Greatest Generation".
All across America, both men and women didn't just talk the talk of sacrifice, honesty, integrity, accountability, service to others, and certainly bravery -- they walked the walk.
Absolutely, I think it’s hard for many people to comprehend the magnitude of what they did. It’s not an exaggeration at all to say they helped save the Free World. Keep in mind, most grew up in the Depression, fought in the most critical war in modern history and came back to help turn the US into an economically prosperous country.
Old 06-06-19, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
It’s not an exaggeration at all to say they helped save the Free World.
No it is not.

On this day 75 years ago, the actions of these men likely saved millions of lives and enabled Europe to become free.
Old 06-06-19, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
This scene concluding Band of Brothers Episode 1 is goosebump-inducing. All the planes, all the ships, the looks on everyone's faces ...

The Good Guys are coming and it's the beginning of the end for the racists and fascists in Western Europe.

Old 06-06-19, 09:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Absolutely, I think it’s hard for many people to comprehend the magnitude of what they did. It’s not an exaggeration at all to say they helped save the Free World. Keep in mind, most grew up in the Depression, fought in the most critical war in modern history and came back to help turn the US into an economically prosperous country.
Yep, the soldiers did a yeoman's job. So did, though, the Americans of all stripes back home (men and women of all ages, races and religions). Women who helped build the war machinery, citizens who sacrificed everyday necessities to save materials for the war effort. All those who sent love and support to the brave souls at the front.

The values that all of these people displayed through their actions helped to turn the 20th century into the "American century".
Old 06-06-19, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Every time that show newsreel footage of the invasion is shown there is always the frames where one soldier is shown going down as soon as he steps out of the water on to the beach. Shakes me up every time I see it.
Old 06-06-19, 10:10 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Do any posters know personally of any WW2 vets still alive.
Old 06-06-19, 10:24 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Every time that show newsreel footage of the invasion is shown there is always the frames where one soldier is shown going down as soon as he steps out of the water on to the beach. Shakes me up every time I see it.
Yeah me too. Remember the first time I saw it as a kid, made an impression. To me that young man is the poster boy for the sacrifices these guys made. I wonder if he has ever been identified?
Old 06-06-19, 10:25 AM
All World

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Do any posters know personally of any WW2 vets still alive.

My Dad died over 4 years ago; he was in the first wave of planes (C-47) over that morning dropping paratroopers. (I would have loved to have been there this week for the re-enactment.) There are not enough adequate words to describe the boys and men who were involved in D-Day, a forever world-changing moment when good triumphed over evil.

I read this article this morning which helps in understanding the logistics involved. The efforts, on both sides of the pond, were simply astounding.

https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/d-da...rs-by-the-men/

Salute to all the veterans who were there! The free world is eternally grateful to you.
Old 06-06-19, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Several years ago I watched a documentary that interviewed soldiers from both sides on their D-Day experiences. I remember one German soldier who manned a light machine gun (our M-60 was modeled after it) in a fortified bunker. He estimated that he killed 250 American soldiers as they came ashore. He said he was haunted by his experiences.
Old 06-06-19, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
an unsuccesfull invasion and we're all drinking vodka for breakfast. I wonder if there was ever any propaganda from our side to point that little fact out to the German people, not that they were great listeners. The Germans have as much to be thankful to our boys for as the French. They lost only half a country for 4 decades instead of the whole thing.
Old 06-06-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

And hardly anyone mentions the mock invasion that was held about a week before D-Day. German E-boats penetrated the convoy and thousands of American lives were lost.
Old 06-06-19, 01:57 PM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And hardly anyone mentions the mock invasion that was held about a week before D-Day. German E-boats penetrated the convoy and thousands of American lives were lost.
Slapton Sands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger
Old 06-06-19, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Post #10

Foyle's War...

EGA
Old 06-06-19, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

A German E-Boat ~ A US PT-Boat

For the younger set: president Kennedy commanded a PT Boat (PT 109) in the South Pacific
during WW-II.

EGA
Old 06-06-19, 06:23 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Who is the only President of the United States to receive a Purple Heart?
The answer is real easy.
Old 06-06-19, 06:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Who is the only President of the United States to receive a Purple Heart?
The answer is real easy.
You know, they should have made a movie about what happened.

Oh wait......they did.

Thanks for bringing that up, USA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: