Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-10-19, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
When They See Us (2019) 6.5/8 Netflix mini-series about the Central Park 5 a group of 14-16 year old boys who were wrongfully convicted of an assault and rape of a woman in Central Park in 1989. I watched a documentary about this a few years back so I was very interested when I saw this released. I thought is was great, very moving, and if even half of the stuff that happened is true, then this is probably one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in recent history. I took a point off because of the multiple shot they took at Trump, not that I cared that much, but it wasn't necessary to the story and was clearly politically motivated towards today's current events and not what was happening at the time.
I'll watch it with a semi-open mind, but from what I have read those kids are guilty.
Old 06-10-19, 05:49 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Dunkirk (1958) - A good telling of the Dunkirk story. It showed the miracle of the "Little Ships of Dunkirk" better than other depictions I have seen in film. It also made the scale of the film personal by focusing on two small groups. The first was a squad of engineers who get separated from their unit when they hang back to demolish a bridge as the Germans approach. The second group is of citizens in a small town which included a man confounded by the politicians and the manner in which the army had been commanded and a mechanical shop owner who feels detached from the war and is reluctant, until near the end, to get involved.

A bit too long, but otherwise a solid WWII film.

5/8
Old 06-11-19, 07:55 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I'll watch it with a semi-open mind, but from what I have read those kids are guilty.
The truth is we'll probably never know. But all of their "confessions" were very inconsistent, hell the one boy could barely read or write and somehow managed to make a written statement. And outside of the confessions, they literally had ZERO physical evidence linking them to the crime. I do think there is a real possibility there was someone other than the guy who confessed involved, but I'm not sure it was any of those boys.

If you wouldn't mind PMing some of the stuff you read, I would be interested in reading it. I'm definitely curious about what the other side has to say. Obviously this series and the documentary I watched were slanted.
Old 06-11-19, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Happy Death Day 2 (2019) 1.5/8 Follow up "horror" movie about a college girl who continues to relive the same day, her birthday, where she dies at the end of the day. The first one was really far fetched and somehow this one is even farther out there. Some sequels just shouldn't be made.
Old 06-11-19, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jesus.
Old 06-11-19, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
"I'll watch it with a semi-open mind" translates to "My mind is made up and I'll stick with that".
Old 06-11-19, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
"I'll watch it with a semi-open mind" translates to "My mind is made up and I'll stick with that".
I really like the term, "semi-open mind."
Old 06-11-19, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

It's the closest you can get to saying that you aren't open to learning or challenging your own beliefs without actually saying it. It's rare to see someone proudly boast about being a mental midget.
Old 06-11-19, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's the closest you can get to saying that you aren't open to learning or challenging your own beliefs without actually saying it. It's rare to see someone proudly boast about being a mental midget.
Indeed. In the same mental gymnastics family:

"I'm not (racist, sexist, bigoted, prejudiced), but ..."
Old 06-11-19, 05:03 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Married to the Mob (1988) Michelle Pfeiffer and Dean Stockwell. RomCom with a dash or two of mob violence. I don't think I fully appreciated the thick NY accents, making this flick a good candidate for a re-watch someday. 6/8 Did I mention Michelle Pfeiffer?
Old 06-11-19, 05:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Married to the Mob (1988) Michelle Pfeiffer and Dean Stockwell. RomCom with a dash or two of mob violence. I don't think I fully appreciated the thick NY accents, making this flick a good candidate for a re-watch someday. 6/8 Did I mention Michelle Pfeiffer?
Pfeiffer was at her peak, look wise, in this and in The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989). So hot!

Old 06-11-19, 07:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Pfeiffer was at her peak, look wise, in this and in The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989). So hot!

I would put Dangerous Liaisons in that group, too. (1988)

Google:

The Marquise de Merteuil (Glenn Close) and the Vicomte de Valmont (John Malkovich) display the petty jealousies and jaded insouciance of life in France's royal court in the 18th century, casually ruining the lives of de Merteuil's young romantic rival (Uma Thurman), the music teacher (Keanu Reeves) for whom she secretly pines and the upstanding Madame de Tourvel (Michelle Pfeiffer). But when actual romantic feelings begin to surface, their games take on a more treacherous air.

History, but not at its finest.
Old 06-12-19, 07:56 AM
All Yappi

And the Band Played On (1993) — 7/8

Saw that this was free on Prime last night and watched it for the first time in years. It's scary how little support the doctors got throughout the discovery, onset and epidemic of AIDS. I was also struck by the lack of empathy in our culture.

At the end, there is a montage of photos and videos of the victims and fighters. The one that fractured me was a drawing by a kid that said he had AIDS and could not hurt you ... please give me a hug.
Old 06-12-19, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of the 37 youths brought in for questioning about the multiple violent attacks in the park that night, only 10 were charged with a crime and only five for the rape of the jogger: Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson and Korey Wise. All five confessed -- four on videotape with adult relatives present and one with a parent present, but not on videotape.

Two unanimous, multicultural juries convicted them, despite aggressive defense lawyers putting on their best case.

The case was solved with other evidence -- and there was a lot of it.

On the drive to the precinct, Raymond Santana blurted out, "I had nothing to do with the rape. All I did was feel the woman's t*ts." The cops didn't even know about a rape yet.

Yusef Salaam announced to the detective interviewing him, "I was there, but I didn't rape her." Even if true, under the law, anyone who participated in the attack on Meili is guilty of her rape.

Two of Korey Wise's friends said that when they ran into him on the street the day after the attack, he told them the cops were after him. "You heard about that woman that was beat up and raped in the park last night? That was us!"

Taken to the scene of the crime by a detective and a prosecutor, he said, "Damn, damn, that's a lot of blood. ... I knew she was bleeding, but I didn't know how bad she was. It was dark. I couldn't see how much blood there was at night."

Wise also told a detective that someone he thought was named "Rudy" stole the jogger's Walkman and belt pouch. The jogger was still in a coma. The police did not know yet that a Walkman had been stolen from her.

Wise told a friend's sister, Melody Jackson, that he didn't rape the jogger; he "only held her legs down while Kevin (Richardson) f---ed her." Jackson volunteered this information to the police, thinking it would help Wise.

The night of the attack, Richardson told an acquaintance, "We just raped somebody." The crotch of his underwear was suspiciously stained with semen, grass stains, dirt and debris. Walking near the crime scene with a detective the next day, Richardson said, "This is where we got her ... where the raping occurred."

Santana and Richardson independently brought investigators to the precise location of the attack on the jogger.

I do understand that something you watched on Netflix says none of this matters.
Old 06-12-19, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think we need to realize that modern day documentaries aren't always unbiased views of the actual events. Even Making a Murderer had its flaws.
Old 06-12-19, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of the 37 youths brought in for questioning about the multiple violent attacks in the park that night, only 10 were charged with a crime and only five for the rape of the jogger: Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana, Kevin Richardson and Korey Wise. All five confessed -- four on videotape with adult relatives present and one with a parent present, but not on videotape.

Two unanimous, multicultural juries convicted them, despite aggressive defense lawyers putting on their best case.

The case was solved with other evidence -- and there was a lot of it.

On the drive to the precinct, Raymond Santana blurted out, "I had nothing to do with the rape. All I did was feel the woman's t*ts." The cops didn't even know about a rape yet.

Yusef Salaam announced to the detective interviewing him, "I was there, but I didn't rape her." Even if true, under the law, anyone who participated in the attack on Meili is guilty of her rape.

Two of Korey Wise's friends said that when they ran into him on the street the day after the attack, he told them the cops were after him. "You heard about that woman that was beat up and raped in the park last night? That was us!"

Taken to the scene of the crime by a detective and a prosecutor, he said, "Damn, damn, that's a lot of blood. ... I knew she was bleeding, but I didn't know how bad she was. It was dark. I couldn't see how much blood there was at night."

Wise also told a detective that someone he thought was named "Rudy" stole the jogger's Walkman and belt pouch. The jogger was still in a coma. The police did not know yet that a Walkman had been stolen from her.

Wise told a friend's sister, Melody Jackson, that he didn't rape the jogger; he "only held her legs down while Kevin (Richardson) f---ed her." Jackson volunteered this information to the police, thinking it would help Wise.

The night of the attack, Richardson told an acquaintance, "We just raped somebody." The crotch of his underwear was suspiciously stained with semen, grass stains, dirt and debris. Walking near the crime scene with a detective the next day, Richardson said, "This is where we got her ... where the raping occurred."

Santana and Richardson independently brought investigators to the precise location of the attack on the jogger.

I do understand that something you watched on Netflix says none of this matters.
I haven't seen the movie and was never even talking about it.
Old 06-12-19, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I haven't seen the movie and was never even talking about it.
So you admittedly had no idea what you were posting about.

Completely understandable.
Old 06-12-19, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

No, but it's not surprising you weren't able to follow along. Sounds like you were only "semi-open minded" about comprehending a basic train of thought.
Old 06-12-19, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

"Perceived sense of self-importance" seems about right.
Old 06-13-19, 05:52 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Cut ronnie some slack. Heís a millennial, heís short and he lives in a hillbilly state so he has enough problems
Old 06-13-19, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Toyol (Malasia-2018)

Horror: A Toyol is a ghost of a baby who was never born. A high politician of a fishing town falls for a shaman woman who fixes his problems... 4.0/8

Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)

Horror: A detective tries to solve the mystery of gruesome deaths and believes it is the work of an ancient creature. This was a fun cheesy flick especially the character Jimmy Quinn!!!! .... 5.0/8
Old 06-14-19, 06:45 AM
All World

Watch on the Rhine (1943) - An intriguing and very different WWII movie involving an anit-nazi German patriot coming to the US to recover in the home of his American wife's family prior to the US entry into the war. Very well acted by a cast that included Betty Davis. This film generates a great deal of tension and suspense with a climatic ending.

6/8
Old 06-15-19, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Wonder: 6/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-19, 04:46 PM
All World

Bataan (1943) - I have seen this at least twice before but it is worth seeing again. The Battle of Bataan and the Death March afterwards is a compelling American story that every American should know. The story is well told in this film.

Ohioans should know the role the Ohio National Guard played in Bataan. Brave men all.

5/8
Old 06-15-19, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Murder Mystery: 4/8

Passable. Would have been better with a stronger cast, and it being longer. At 81 minutes it barely qualifies as a movie. And being an ensemble cast of maybe of say 13 characters, only 6 are played by actors youíll have ever seen in anything.

Itís sad how far Adam Sandler has fallen in his career. Most of his jokes in the movie fall flat. Jennifer Anniston continues her career arc of playing characters who are just awful people.

Old 06-15-19, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
John Wick 3 -- chick flick
Old 06-16-19, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Men in Black: International: 4.5/8

So-so first hour with a good second half. Predictable twist that they could have camouflaged better.

Kumail Nanjiani saves the movie when he shows up at the midway point. The comedy, and plot get much better from that point on.

While Hemsworth is funny in other stuff, this movie proved heís not in the level of say Will Smith. And they shouldnít have tried to make him Will. Hemsworth in this movie is 70% comedy, 30% action/seriousness. It should be the other way around with him. I think he only had one fight scene in the entire movie. Well two, but he didnít really do anything in the second. You cast Thor, let him do action fights. Hemsworth should be having a career more like Dwayne Johnson. Action star with comedy sprinkled in. Not comedian with action sprinkled in.

Tessa Thompson was written better, as more of the straight character and her character works better because of it.

Thereís enough there to be interested in a sequel, in particular how they would do it given the way the movie ends.

Old 06-16-19, 11:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Bataan (1943) - I have seen this at least twice before but it is worth seeing again. The Battle of Bataan and the Death March afterwards is a compelling American story that every American should know. The story is well told in this film.

Ohioans should know the role the Ohio National Guard played in Bataan. Brave men all.

5/8
I think I have seen this, but will watch for it. Animals.

Old 06-16-19, 01:53 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Warriors- 4/8. Not as cool as I remember. Pretty cheesy on the whole despite a cool premise. A modern day remake with more violence and less gangs in costumes would be cool.
Old 06-16-19, 09:17 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Wine Country: 4.25/8

ĎEh. Iím not the target audience. Disappointing that Tina Fey only had a bit role in the movie (sheís in maybe ten minutes of the movie, if that.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: