Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-30-19, 03:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
The Deer in Your Yard Are Here to Stay

Quote:
To various degrees, towns and cities across the Northeast have been seeing an ongoing resurgence of deer populations in recent decades, as suburbanization patterns deepened and hunting practices faded. If you live anywhere outside of an urban downtown, you’ve probably noticed this trend yourself.

Deer are cute. We’ve all cried watching Bambi. So what’s the problem?

Well, there are a few. Hungry deer will eat (or trample) almost anything in a garden, becoming a pest for urban and suburban homeowners. Over-browsing by deer depletes the undergrowth of woodland, threatening birds’ habitat and the regeneration of trees. And when deer wander into the road, the results are not so cute.
Read more:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...e-here-to-stay
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-19, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
An overgrown rodent with long ears and a bushy tail so people think it's cute. It's a weed. It's meat. It's a meat-weed.
Old 05-30-19, 06:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
They eat the hosta on the rear of my lot every year. It's part of nature. They were here long before my house.
Old 05-30-19, 07:20 PM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
So were the mice and ants. I kill them if I find them in my house.
Old 05-30-19, 07:26 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
They eat the hosta on the rear of my lot every year. It's part of nature. They were here long before my house.
^ This. I long suspected deer were the demise of our hostas. Maybe, mums, too. They haven't discovered the fern snuggled up against the sweet gum tree - yet. Nature has a way of controlling itself.

Just keep your antennae up and drive a bit slower. I was doing just that as I was coming home one night last year. Buck just did make it across my path!

Otherwise, that critter woulda bin sum dang gud rodekeal!
Old 05-30-19, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Are you sure they're all real? Kenton football players have been known to place fake ones around.
Old 05-30-19, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Increasing deer population has resulted in the resurgence of the coyote in NEO. A pair of coyotes with pups might kill 20 fawns in a spring. If you see a doe that is bedding her fawn(s) right in your landscaping - even against the foundation of your house - it's because she knows the coyotes aren't likely to get that close to your house.

After the surviving fawns become larger and harder to catch, of course, the coyotes then switch to your poodle or your kitty
Old 05-30-19, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
A mix of egg whites, Frank's Red Hot, and water, applied with a garden sprayer, is a good deer repellent on plants for about three weeks.
Old 05-31-19, 09:44 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Increasing deer population has resulted in the resurgence of the coyote in NEO. A pair of coyotes with pups might kill 20 fawns in a spring. If you see a doe that is bedding her fawn(s) right in your landscaping - even against the foundation of your house - it's because she knows the coyotes aren't likely to get that close to your house.

After the surviving fawns become larger and harder to catch, of course, the coyotes then switch to your poodle or your kitty
Is that a promise?!?!?!? Time to put the salt lick to attract the deer.
Old 05-31-19, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'm okay with them munching the hosta. I put many of them on the back of the lot to give them something to eat away from the house.
Old 05-31-19, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
There is a professor at Ohio State that has done years of study on urban area coyotes. According to fecal and DNA evidence coyotes really like human food an almost never eat pets.

Not occasionally, seldom, or rarely. Almost never.
Old 05-31-19, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
There is a professor at Ohio State that has done years of study on urban area coyotes. According to fecal and DNA evidence coyotes really like human food an almost never eat pets.

Not occasionally, seldom, or rarely. Almost never.
OK. He studied a sample of the population. Presumably animals with an established pattern, because that's easier and human nature.

Some friends in the Jeromesville, Ohio area told me of a pair of coyotes that had fawn legs laying around their den, and another pair of parent coyotes with turkey feet around theirs. On the opposite side of the same tract of farmland. They are smart and cooperative, and they develop hunting styles and specific target prey within their small groups. My sister in western Indiana lost over a dozen barn cats to coyotes. That's fact, but I don't have a turd to present to the prof.

When they get old, coyotes don't just walk off into the void and expire like eskimos. They eat what they can, when opportunity is there. There certainly have been older animals that become pet-eaters, whether or not your professor ever stumbled across their scat. I suspect that a young animal on it's own and looking to establish itself in a new area might do the same.
Old 05-31-19, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm okay with them munching the hosta. I put many of them on the back of the lot to give them something to eat away from the house.
That's far better than seeing a browse line 5 feet up all your taxus or junipers.
Old 05-31-19, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
OK. He studied a sample of the population. Presumably animals with an established pattern, because that's easier and human nature.
Of course he studies a sample. No one could possible study every coyote in North America.

Chicago area. O'Hare to downtown, suburbs to cemeteries.

Small enough to survive on mice and large enough to take down a deer. They don't live in packs and are very secretive. They can thrive where a wolf would starve, and they love french fries. At least in Chicago.
Old 05-31-19, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Deer are everywhere these days including dense urban environments like inner ring suburbs, we call these ghetto deer. They know no fear and are becoming a huge problem not only for the vegetation in the yard but for auto traffic as they are basically never run away and just stand in the middle of the road knowing that the auto will stop or swerve to avoid it. They use to be afraid of dogs too but that is not even the case anymore.

Old 05-31-19, 12:31 PM
All Region

Belly35 is on a distinguished road
The deer cost me this year... $250.00 they ate a two weeping white spruce trees I planted last year eat all the lower branches off..

My dog will keep them out of the yard during the day but at night they eat anything that fresh and new growth
Old 05-31-19, 04:43 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Deer are everywhere these days including dense urban environments like inner ring suburbs, we call these ghetto deer. They know no fear and are becoming a huge problem not only for the vegetation in the yard but for auto traffic as they are basically never run away and just stand in the middle of the road knowing that the auto will stop or swerve to avoid it. They use to be afraid of dogs too but that is not even the case anymore.

That dog ain't worth a _hit. Should have stayed on the porch.
Old 06-05-19, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

And now we have Jarvis Landry's daughter treating a fawn like it is a domesticated pet>

Old 06-05-19, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Shot some pigs a few weeks ago, got a funny picture for Ted btw, and about five minutes later coyotes showed up. I swear they run to the gunfire down here
Old 06-05-19, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

When I lived in Northern Virginia the deer were becoming quite a problem. The powes that be came up a with a plaan where they would put out food for the deer whcih contained contraceptives. And as you would expect, this plan outraged the tree-hugging crowd. Instead they ended up giving special licences to skilled archers whose goal was to thin the herd.
Old 06-05-19, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
When I lived in Northern Virginia the deer were becoming quite a problem. The powes that be came up a with a plaan where they would put out food for the deer whcih contained contraceptives. And as you would expect, this plan outraged the tree-hugging crowd. Instead they ended up giving special licences to skilled archers whose goal was to thin the herd.
I heard they had problems with opening the contraceptives without opposable thumbs.
Old 06-05-19, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

lol

bustin' open and rollin' out a skin with only hooves would have to be tough...
Old 06-05-19, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I heard they had problems with opening the contraceptives without opposable thumbs.
Yep, they also found out the deer would run to fast for a tree-hugger volunteer to put a condom on the deer.
Old 06-05-19, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
And now we have Jarvis Landry's daughter treating a fawn like it is a domesticated pet>

I just hope the doe doesn't show up and get nervous. I saw one kick my dog last week.

The dog was asking for it. She went all Barky McBarkface on mama deer, and mama wasn't having any !
Old 06-05-19, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
They air-dropped rabies treatment cookies for raccoons in the Cuyahoga National Park a few years back. No one complained, though. They are shooting deer regularly here now, with sharpshooters in the Cleveland Metroparks and in the Akron Parks deeded parcels in northern Summit County that within the footprint of the National Recreation Area. These hunters are also FDA certified butchers that can prep deer for local food banks. It would be redneck Ted's dream winter side job. As far as recreational hunters go, I think there have been recent years in which a hunter that did all his homework and filed all the right requests could harvest up to four deer in Cuyahoga and Summit Counties. They are almost as plentiful as the damned Canada geese at this point.
Old 06-05-19, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of course he studies a sample. No one could possible study every coyote in North America.

Small enough to survive on mice and large enough to take down a deer. They don't live in packs and are very secretive. They can thrive where a wolf would starve, and they love french fries. At least in Chicago.
My route home from Cleveland takes me through some grasslands and cornfields , and it's very common to see the coyotes "mousing" in the snow-covered fields. They look almost like robins listening and looking for worms before they do that high leap and pounce nose first into the snow - the same as a fox would.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-06-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-05-19, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Spot on.

I've seen more Coyotes in the city than the country. They are a true opportunistic survivor. They will eat just about anything and they are reclusive. They've been seen in NYC Central Park.
Old 06-05-19, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Spot on.

I've seen more Coyotes in the city than the country. They are a true opportunistic survivor. They will eat just about anything and they are reclusive. They've been seen in NYC Central Park.
Except when it comes to correctly operating Acme products.

Old 06-05-19, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Dog got owned.
Old 06-06-19, 10:52 AM
All World

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
That's far better than seeing a browse line 5 feet up all your taxus or junipers.
I have a long row of 30' arborvitae that are usually gnawed up about 5 feet, and always in winter. The hostas get whacked every summer, usually after I forget to apply deer-off after 2 weeks. They appreciate certain flowers over others. They also have no problem emptying bird feeders 8 feet from the house, generally in winter. Pretty animal, but destructive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: