Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-06-19, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
We need to bubble boy that place. OR we'll just let it grow and we'll become a species of walking upright bugs. Not my problem, my frozen genome will be headed towards alpha centuri by that time.
The biggest question right now is probably the rate of mutations being triggered by the radiation. I'm not up to speed as to how extensive the mutation has been though they have seen some evidence of changes. Whether this will turn into a 1950's monster movie scenario remains to be seen.

Old 06-06-19, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Radiation affects DNA. That's not a question. But the changes in DNA result in death, a body out of its rather delicate balance. I googled. Russia doesn't seem to have monsters but in the trillion-billion organisms affected I suppose there could be one Godzilla.
Old 06-06-19, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Radiation affects DNA. That's not a question. But the changes in DNA result in death, a body out of its rather delicate balance. I googled. Russia doesn't seem to have monsters but in the trillion-billion organisms affected I suppose there could be one Godzilla.
Yes radiation can impact DNA. But it's all about the dose & duration. If you were in the sun today at about noon you got a nice dose of "radiation". And changes in DNA do not necessarily result in death.

Look, I'm not trying to downplay the harmful effects of radiation but I suspect that when all is said & done one of Chernobyl's legacy's will be the insight that living organisms are more resilient in the face of harmful radiation then we thought they were. And that's a good thing.
Old 06-06-19, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Yes radiation can impact DNA. But it's all about the dose & duration. If you were in the sun today at about noon you got a nice dose of "radiation". And changes in DNA do not necessarily result in death.

Look, I'm not trying to downplay the harmful effects of radiation but I suspect that when all is said & done one of Chernobyl's legacy's will be the insight that living organisms are more resilient in the face of harmful radiation then we thought they were. And that's a good thing.
I think itís a little premature to come to that conclusion.

To no oneís surprise, cancer rates are drastically higher among those directly impacted, but this isnít just an isolated one-generation thing... these type of DNA changes are hereditary. Youíre going to see people dying directly because of this event for generations. Itís basically impossible to assess the scale of something like this.

I find it interesting how far away people have been impacted. Crazy to me reading the story of populations in Sweden being impacted. Thatís hardly right next door...

Makes you wonder if eating fish from the pacific is safe... a lot of sushi around here includes Alaskan cod as a filler... gotta wonder if theyíre diseased because of the japs miscue
Old 06-07-19, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Russia so dislikes the series that it is planning its own version that blames the CIA-

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-hates-...030912566.html
Old 06-09-19, 02:52 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Finally binged. A masterclass in storytelling.
Old 06-11-19, 08:08 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Very good series. Didn't get super technical, given it's a show about nuclear physics, but still did a good job breaking down exactly what happened that was easy to understand.
Old 06-12-19, 05:58 AM
All American

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok course it's obvious to you. You didn't TAKE anything from the show. You went in with your usual close-mindedness and added what you wanted to hear. The first and the last words of the series were

the cost of lies.

not

Soviet Union Boogeyman, Boo be afraid.

And I explained the danger and bufoonery of your cry wolf. As I said, it's your "racist." EVERYTHING is a red danger. Ooooohhh. Morons putting out that in propaganda form dilute the message of people who understand the real seductiveness and danger of such a system. So, upset? More frustrated. Not at your pathetic attempts on these boards but that there's a larger buffoonery attracting more get their thoughts from a shock jock wanna join a clubs. It is that blind approach that you're calling the Soviets. I suppose it is. Then your approach will probably result in major disaster for us all.

Like you ( and I) would easily roll eyes at the persistent calling of everything "racist," I roll my eyes at your persistent attempts to call anything and everything that can go wrong in a country being sourced in the politics of that country, unless it's ours and those in power happen to reflect your views. Then it's someone else's fault.

I roll my eyes at your dodging the question of how all those other monstrously large ecological disasters occurred without the assistance of a Soviet style government, how they happened under the watch of the shining light for democracy.

Yes, it's easy for you to purposely ignore the message the writers worked so hard to get across and distort it to your own blathering. I'd say it's also rude, sourced in on-line blogs and blind.

So "take" what you will from the story. Accept or not I argue it's buffoonery and blind unthinking dogma. Forget that nearly the first and the last words of the series were

the cost of lies.
Yes the cost of lies. Every Totalitarian government has its narrative. The narratives of these governments are always based on some contrived dogma. If facts contradict the narrative, then the facts are suppressed.

It is our human nature. We donít want to be told we are wrong. If few are given complete power over many, the many will be made to bend the knee. No matter the costs, the facts, the truth.
This has been going on since the beginning.
Old 06-12-19, 06:18 AM
All American

m14brian is on a distinguished road
My favorite term in the series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparatchik

Pretty much sums up the buffoon bureaucrats we have in the USA.
Old 06-12-19, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Yes the cost of lies. Every Corporate Environment has its narrative. The narratives of these Corporations are always based on some contrived dogma. If facts contradict the narrative, then the facts are suppressed.

It is our human nature. We don’t want to be told we are wrong. If few are given complete power over many, the many will be made to bend the knee. No matter the costs, the facts, the truth.
This has been going on since the beginning.

Agree and it's not limited to governments. Replacing what I replaced in your post, it reads just as true to me. Could have put just about any institution in there.

Human Nature. That said, I still prefer our governmental checks and balances to theirs. Am more worried about our human nature to outsource personal responsibility for oversight of those checks and balances by our nation's decreasing voting rates in off elections.
Old 06-13-19, 09:18 AM
Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Saw that a Russian filmmaker is going to produce a series from their perspective in which the blame of the explosion is caused by the CIA.
Old 06-13-19, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Watched episode 4 last night. So damn hard to watch, yet so well done.
Old 06-13-19, 02:56 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JU-ICE View Post
Saw that a Russian filmmaker is going to produce a series from their perspective in which the blame of the explosion is caused by the CIA.
fake news
Old 06-19-19, 10:42 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Binge watched it over the weekend. Very emotional series. I think anyone who thinks this is just a Russia thing is being quite naive. I could see any government trying to cover this up in a similar way. The one aspect that blew me away was the pregnant wife of the fireman. Her baby absorbed all the radiation so the woman was basically clean after giving birth and was able to have another baby later on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: