Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-19, 09:39 PM
radiodaveagain radiodaveagain is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-14
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 485
radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Young Indiana HS Basketball Coach And Teacher 'It Does Not Pay The Bills'

Young Indiana HS Basketball Coach And Teacher 'It Does Not Pay The Bills'
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...-pay-the-bills

Continue to see this here in Ohio as well...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-07-19, 10:10 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,433
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Not only is it no longer rewarding to officiate it is also no longer fruitful or rewarding to coach.

Coaches today work twice as much and twice as hard as they did 25 years ago for peanuts. On top of that you must be dad/uncle/friend/mentor and if you want to be really successful you have to put in time like a college coaching. Don't think of having a family.

Oh yeah, and parents today are as bad as they have ever been. Everyone is an expert and everyone's kid is going D-I in multiple sports.

Thankless and low pay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-19, 11:42 PM
1 time 1 time is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-20-18
Posts: 348
1 time is on a distinguished road
Bingo again ! Don’t know where it stops ? And programs continue to go down, down ! Sad
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-19, 06:52 AM
strickly_layups strickly_layups is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-30-06
Posts: 476
strickly_layups is on a distinguished road
These are the but FACTS!!!! Its getting worse and more difficult to field decent officials and quality coaches. Ive been around long enough and have seen my fair share of shameful people who take the J out of JOY..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-19, 07:14 AM
America America is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-20-15
Posts: 1,790
America is an unknown quantity at this point
The nightmares of 8th grade and 9th grade dads shopping their kids around promising that they should start JV as a frosh and that they will earn a DI scholarship is so common now... This mentality leads to poor attitudes and bad team chemistry when things don't develop and sh!t hits the fan when reality kicks in...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-19, 07:24 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 834
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
This is a weird article. The guy complains about not making enough money as a teacher to support his son that has an illness, yet he's going to take time off work and then look for another job. Not sure what kind of job outside of the education field he is expecting that is making more than the $50k a year he hopes to make. Best of luck to the guy, but this letter was a whole lot of complaining about not making enough money as a teacher and blah blah blah. Newsflash: if you want to make good money, you probably shouldn't become a teacher. This isnt a new thing. Teachers all over this country are the most underpaid profession and it isn't close. Of course no one gets into coaching HS sports for the money. But the fact that this guy drags the schools and the state through the mud and blames them for his financial struggles is laughable to me. Just my different take
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-19, 07:47 AM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,450
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
This is a weird article. The guy complains about not making enough money as a teacher to support his son that has an illness, yet he's going to take time off work and then look for another job. Not sure what kind of job outside of the education field he is expecting that is making more than the $50k a year he hopes to make. Best of luck to the guy, but this letter was a whole lot of complaining about not making enough money as a teacher and blah blah blah. Newsflash: if you want to make good money, you probably shouldn't become a teacher. This isnt a new thing. Teachers all over this country are the most underpaid profession and it isn't close. Of course no one gets into coaching HS sports for the money. But the fact that this guy drags the schools and the state through the mud and blames them for his financial struggles is laughable to me. Just my different take
I read the letter as saying he was a few years away from getting to 40k, while putting in 73-77 hours per week in the basketball season. So if you figure 15 hours /week for basketball, that leaves about 58-62 for teaching. I would like to see what benefits were for health (often at least a 15-25k value) and for retirement pension.

It did sound like sour grapes. I wish him well, and have often said there is no ceiling for a talented person with ambition, so he will be fine. He said himself "There is no secret to sucess".

The one line that really gets me was how he was not able to reach as many kids as he could due to the fact he was not able to implement his high standards on them.

Wonder why that was? Parent pressure or administration pressure? I have a family member that is in similar place who is instructed by the administration to not be so demanding of excellence in character of students as many parents simply don't value morals as an important asset in their children. To me that one line is way more of a justifiable reason to run away than modest income.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-19, 08:35 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,433
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
This is a weird article. The guy complains about not making enough money as a teacher to support his son that has an illness, yet he's going to take time off work and then look for another job. Not sure what kind of job outside of the education field he is expecting that is making more than the $50k a year he hopes to make. Best of luck to the guy, but this letter was a whole lot of complaining about not making enough money as a teacher and blah blah blah. Newsflash: if you want to make good money, you probably shouldn't become a teacher. This isnt a new thing. Teachers all over this country are the most underpaid profession and it isn't close. Of course no one gets into coaching HS sports for the money. But the fact that this guy drags the schools and the state through the mud and blames them for his financial struggles is laughable to me. Just my different take
He could become a Carpenter and make $75,000 - $100,000 in this economy.

So, get your four year degree and unless you are a trust fund baby probably had to incur some debt. Then, you have a year or two more of schooling. Same deal. Then, congrats, you start out at $35,000 and most districts are squeezing their belts so until you have tenure you do not really know if you have a job from year to year. Throw on a $5,000 stipend to coach which equates to .25 per hour for the time you actually work coaching. Oh yeah and when all said and done some dad is going to tell you off because Johnny did not pan out the way he thought he would (you know, Indiana scholarship, duh).

Just wait. Keep paying teachers less and less and see the product we get (classroom & coaching alike).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-08-19, 08:54 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,043
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Man, I don't know.

Teachers in my area seem to do quite well. Not the richest by any means, but typically have nice vehicles, houses, etc.

Dad, brother, brother in law, sister all are in education and have done quite well, and don't forget about that few months off in the summer..........


Bro in law does work construction 2-3 days a week in the summer for some extra spending cash for something big they want and so he doesn't get too bored.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-08-19, 08:58 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Posts: 673
Smalls is on a distinguished road
We need good teachers/coaches in Toledo and he would get paid more.

I would like to see the starting tiers get paid more, even if it means getting paid less at the end of their career.

https://www.tps.org/images/Salary_Gr..._2019-2020.pdf

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TEACHER SALARY SCHEDULE
EFFECTIVE 2019-2020

....... B.A......B.A.+15..M.A... M.A.+15..M.A....+60 Ph.D.

01 $40,489 $41,382 $41,752 $43,688 $46,375 $46,375
02 $41,489 $42,632 $43,438 $45,375 $48,061 $48,061
03 $42,489 $42,938 $44,625 $47,061 $49,478 $49,478
04 $42,938 $45,125 $47,061 $48,978 $51,934 $51,934
05 $43,875 $46,061 $47,978 $50,434 $53,121 $53,121
06 $47,061 $49,248 $51,434 $53,621 $56,307 $56,307
07 $50,748 $51,934 $54,121 $56,307 $59,494 $59,494
08 $53,934 $55,121 $57,307 $59,494 $62,680 $62,680
09 $56,121 $58,307 $60,494 $62,680 $64,867 $64,867
10 $58,307 $60,494 $62,680 $64,867 $67,053 $67,053
11 $58,900 $62,680 $64,867 $67,053 $69,240 $69,240
12 $59,400 $64,867 $67,053 $69,240 $71,426 $71,426
13 $59,400 $64,867 $69,240 $71,426 $73,613 $73,613
14 $59,400 $64,867 $71,426 $73,613 $75,799 $75,799
15 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
16 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
17 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
18 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
19 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
20 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
21 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
22 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
23 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
24 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
25 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
26 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
27 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
28 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
29 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
30 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545

Last edited by Smalls; 05-08-19 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-08-19, 09:17 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 834
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
We need good teachers/coaches in Toledo and he would get paid more.

I would like to see the starting tiers get paid more, even if it means getting paid less at the end of their career.

Hope the format works out.

TOLEDO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TEACHER SALARY SCHEDULE
EFFECTIVE 2019-2020

....... B.A......B.A.+15..M.A... M.A.+15..M.A....+60 Ph.D.

01 $40,489 $41,382 $41,752 $43,688 $46,375 $46,375
02 $41,489 $42,632 $43,438 $45,375 $48,061 $48,061
03 $42,489 $42,938 $44,625 $47,061 $49,478 $49,478
04 $42,938 $45,125 $47,061 $48,978 $51,934 $51,934
05 $43,875 $46,061 $47,978 $50,434 $53,121 $53,121
06 $47,061 $49,248 $51,434 $53,621 $56,307 $56,307
07 $50,748 $51,934 $54,121 $56,307 $59,494 $59,494
08 $53,934 $55,121 $57,307 $59,494 $62,680 $62,680
09 $56,121 $58,307 $60,494 $62,680 $64,867 $64,867
10 $58,307 $60,494 $62,680 $64,867 $67,053 $67,053
11 $58,900 $62,680 $64,867 $67,053 $69,240 $69,240
12 $59,400 $64,867 $67,053 $69,240 $71,426 $71,426
13 $59,400 $64,867 $69,240 $71,426 $73,613 $73,613
14 $59,400 $64,867 $71,426 $73,613 $75,799 $75,799
15 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
16 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
17 $61,587 $67,053 $73,613 $75,799 $77,986 $77,986
18 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
19 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
20 $63,774 $69,240 $77,986 $77,986 $80,172 $80,172
21 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
22 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
23 $65,960 $70,333 $80,172 $80,172 $82,359 $82,359
24 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
25 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
26 $68,147 $71,426 $82,359 $82,359 $84,545 $84,545
27 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
28 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
29 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
30 $70,147 $73,613 $84,359 $84,545 $84,545 $84,545
This isn't a bad salary schedule for teachers in Ohio tbh. Making $50k within 6 years after getting a master's is pretty typical. Most teachers should be getting their master's within 5-8 years anyways. Making over $50k a year before your 30 years old is doing better than a lot of other people in this country. Maxing out at $84k isn't bad either. Not the top tier, but definitely not the worst. Teachers should be making more money. However, no one in our government at any level has given 2 you know what's about education in years.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-08-19, 09:21 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 834
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
He could become a Carpenter and make $75,000 - $100,000 in this economy.

So, get your four year degree and unless you are a trust fund baby probably had to incur some debt. Then, you have a year or two more of schooling. Same deal. Then, congrats, you start out at $35,000 and most districts are squeezing their belts so until you have tenure you do not really know if you have a job from year to year. Throw on a $5,000 stipend to coach which equates to .25 per hour for the time you actually work coaching. Oh yeah and when all said and done some dad is going to tell you off because Johnny did not pan out the way he thought he would (you know, Indiana scholarship, duh).

Just wait. Keep paying teachers less and less and see the product we get (classroom & coaching alike).
I'm a teacher in an average school district (not rich but not super poor either) and I make enough to live on. Add on a coaching stipend in the spring and my summer job, I can't complain.

I doubt this guy is going to switch from teaching to carpentry. Unfortunately he knew what he was getting into (salary wise) from the minute he started teaching. This guy in the article is acting surprised that he's only making $40k a year. Sometimes you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.

As I said earlier, I don't know what kind of job he is going to start from scratch as someone in his mid 20's (I assume) and make what he wants to make. Maybe someone hires him as an entry level manager somewhere because he does at least have a degree. I don't know. It just seems like sour grapes and the guy is looking for someone to blame
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-08-19, 09:41 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Posts: 673
Smalls is on a distinguished road
In comparison I work at a fortune 500 company who pays $50K as a starting salary for an accounting/finance degree with no experience, no pension, 2 weeks of vacation, zero personal days, 5% 401K match and high deductible health plan.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-08-19, 09:47 AM
sprtsfan247 sprtsfan247 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Posts: 156
sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I'm a teacher in an average school district (not rich but not super poor either) and I make enough to live on. Add on a coaching stipend in the spring and my summer job, I can't complain.

I doubt this guy is going to switch from teaching to carpentry. Unfortunately he knew what he was getting into (salary wise) from the minute he started teaching. This guy in the article is acting surprised that he's only making $40k a year. Sometimes you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.

As I said earlier, I don't know what kind of job he is going to start from scratch as someone in his mid 20's (I assume) and make what he wants to make. Maybe someone hires him as an entry level manager somewhere because he does at least have a degree. I don't know. It just seems like sour grapes and the guy is looking for someone to blame
You are highlighting one aspect of his letter. I agree with you that his argument with pay I think lacks teeth. However, when you take his personal situation of pay, along with the hours he cited as a coach/teacher combo, along with the many hats a teacher/coach has to wear in addition to the very real problem of teachers not being allowed from holding students to high standards, I would say there is not any joy.

Your argument sir, of this being "sour grapes", I think lacks teeth as well. If you take his total letter and combine all the issues he raised, I believe he has a very good argument to leave this profession and also makes a very good argument for other teachers to make.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-19, 10:24 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 834
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
In comparison I work at a fortune 500 company who pays $50K as a starting salary for an accounting/finance degree with no experience, no pension, 2 weeks of vacation, zero personal days, 5% 401K match and high deductible health plan.
Great point here. Teachers get a lot of fringe benefits as well. The average teacher gets (whatever the salary is) plus EXCELLENT healthcare benefits (this is a huge perk, people always say the people with the best healthcare in this country are congress and teachers) plus retirement benefits, accummulated sick days, personal days, holidays, breaks and summers off. So while teachers/coaches are underpaid, they do enjoy all of these benefits that someone working in 90% of other jobs do not all enjoy. As a teacher, I always think about leaving the profession for a higher paying job. But it's nice to know that if something happens to me, I am basically taken care of as far as medical bills, time off, my school even pays for life insurance (I'm sure it's not the best, but it's something). These are some of the reasons (plus having 10 weeks off in the summer to do what I want) that teachers do stay in the profession.

Also hate to say this, but if this guy and his wife are both teachers and combine to make at least $80k a year and cannot run a household, they need to do some serious household evaluations of their finances.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-19, 10:27 AM
tribefan23 tribefan23 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-12-18
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 834
tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
You are highlighting one aspect of his letter. I agree with you that his argument with pay I think lacks teeth. However, when you take his personal situation of pay, along with the hours he cited as a coach/teacher combo, along with the many hats a teacher/coach has to wear in addition to the very real problem of teachers not being allowed from holding students to high standards, I would say there is not any joy.

Your argument sir, of this being "sour grapes", I think lacks teeth as well. If you take his total letter and combine all the issues he raised, I believe he has a very good argument to leave this profession and also makes a very good argument for other teachers to make.
Of course this guy is getting paid pennies on the dollar to coach. But guess what? Literally every single coach at a HS, Middle School, and every rec and little league in America is underpaid. Nobody coaches for the money. The fact that he cites this in his letter as a reason for leaving just shows that he's looking for someone to blame. Most coaches do it for the fun of it and then take their stipend at the end of the year as a little bonus money. No one is relying on that coaching stipend.

He can leave the profession all he wants. I'll be the first guy to argue that teachers deserve a raise in this country. But don't complain about money when he knows exactly what he's getting into by being the head basketball coach at a school. Clearly this guy was in over his head (and there's nothing wrong with that). He wasn't able to balance being a teacher, head basketball coach, husband and father all at the same time while being young. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps and move on, and it sounds like this guy is doing just that. I hope he finds success in the future and gets back into coaching (for the right reasons) and is able to balance his life and time management.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-19, 11:12 AM
bobcat44 bobcat44 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-24-18
Posts: 51
bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
The kid sounds like a crybaby. So he didn’t do his due diligence before wasting his money on a college degree. What he thought teachers were millionaires!? One of the most ignorant rants I’ve heard in a while which is saying something
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-19, 11:24 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,043
thavoice is on a distinguished road
As far as coaching, yeah, you don't get paid squat compared to the hours put in.

Most of the coaches I know just use that paycheck for their vacation, home improvement, or something big they want and it is their slush fund and not to live on!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-19, 11:39 AM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Arrogate's Head
Posts: 5,433
irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
In comparison I work at a fortune 500 company who pays $50K as a starting salary for an accounting/finance degree with no experience, no pension, 2 weeks of vacation, zero personal days, 5% 401K match and high deductible health plan.
Where can you go from there?

A couple things not being considered in this thread.

This is Indiana we are talking.

Aside from that, districts are not replacing older teachers like they once were. The district in which my wife works had eight Health/Phys. Ed teachers just 15 years ago. Today they have four.

Another aspect to consider is every five (?) years a teacher has to take mandatory college, in many instances paid out of pocket.

I know a bunch of GOOD coaches who have left coaching because they simply no longer have the time. Lets face it. The pay is secondary and when you do the math they are making pennies per hour of work. Man paint or do tree work on the side and can make much more money doing that than coaching.

I also know several talented teachers who have left the profession because they make much more money in the private sector.

Keep in mind, times are good The one big benefit to teaching has a degree of security but that is going away as well. The last recession decimated school districts in Ohio and in my opinion many have not fully recovered. The next one will hurt even worse.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-19, 12:13 PM
nwwarrior09 nwwarrior09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Springfield/Dayton
Posts: 7,332
nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Man, I don't know.

Teachers in my area seem to do quite well. Not the richest by any means, but typically have nice vehicles, houses, etc.

Dad, brother, brother in law, sister all are in education and have done quite well, and don't forget about that few months off in the summer..........


Bro in law does work construction 2-3 days a week in the summer for some extra spending cash for something big they want and so he doesn't get too bored.
I don't know about other people, but I'd lose my mind without the time off in the summer to prep for the following year and make some money on the side. Kids are so over tested by the state nowadays in the spring that those last few weeks are brutal as they're ready to be done, especially in you have junior high kids. It can be highly stressful down the stretch.

I'm not sure if I'd make the same choices all over again. Coaching stipends and the ability to make some cash in the summer are nice, but with the way that finances are at a lot of schools anymore there can be a lot of uncertainty over your job stability in those early years. To do coaching the right way, it comes out to cents per hour. Increasingly it's hard to justify with the added pressures of bureaucratic work from the state. You'd be better off just doing work on the side or getting a part-time job on the weekends.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 05-08-19 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-08-19, 12:25 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,826
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
There are two items here. The teaching element, which is the main deal, that isn't bad along with the time off and retirement system in most states is pretty good.
Then the coaching side, that amount of dollars isn't very good especially for those who work at it. The money a teacher can make with another seasonal/summer type position far exceeds coaching. A teachers day starts early, in HS anywhere from 6-7:30am, ending around 3:00-3:30. That isn't bad, add being a High School Coach to that day and now it goes until 5-6-7-8-9-10pm on any particular day. The money paid for those schedules doesn't add up but that's not why most make the decision to teach and coach. For coaches it can get complicated with marriage and children. Add at the of a week during the season you come home after the game on Friday night and have barely seen your family and you receive the phone call or text message from Little Johnny's Dad demanding answers, meeting, etc. etc. etc. It can take a toll and it does lead to those conversations, "is it worth it?"
Just my two cents in knowing a couple people in the business.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-08-19, 01:18 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,043
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I don't know about other people, but I'd lose my mind without the time off in the summer to prep for the following year and make some money on the side. Kids are so over tested by the state nowadays in the spring that those last few weeks are brutal as they're ready to be done, especially in you have junior high kids. It can be highly stressful down the stretch.

I'm not sure if I'd make the same choices all over again. Coaching stipends and the ability to make some cash in the summer are nice, but with the way that finances are at a lot of schools anymore there can be a lot of uncertainty over your job stability in those early years. To do coaching the right way, it comes out to cents per hour. Increasingly it's hard to justify with the added pressures of bureaucratic work from the state. You'd be better off just doing work on the side or getting a part-time job on the weekends.
I would gladly take the stress of the last month of school and in turn getting off 10 plus weeks along with all the extra days off a teacher gets.


As far as coaching, many people coach for free so I wont cry over a HC getting a few grand.

For nearly ten years I worked full time and starting toward the end of May - July hurried over to the park to coach HS aged kids, for free.

Often times taking vacation hours/days, and passing up weekend hours so it actually cost me money and time off. You don't do it for the $$ per say, you do it because you love the game and teaching the game.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-08-19, 01:49 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 2,632
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
People that complain about money usually suck at their job
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-08-19, 02:07 PM
sprtsfan247 sprtsfan247 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-02-09
Posts: 156
sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
For people who say that coaches do it for the love of the game:

You are 100% right. In order to coach you have to love the game. However, administrators, parents, and others put pressure on coaches to win games as if coaching is their lively hood. Coaches put in a countless number of hours for a few thousand dollars. While coaches don't rely on coaching to support their lively hood that is what the teaching is for, please don't make it seem like coaches should just coach for the love of the game because there is no doubt that coaches have to win or else you are not a coach very long.

I think a big part of what this guy is saying is......it isn't worth it anymore. I think if you ask a lot of coaches they would agree.

I think everyone who reads his letter may perceive what he is writing differently. If that is the case then we will have to agree to disagree. However, I am on his side in regards to everything except the pay as a teacher. I think teachers should definitely be paid more, but I also think teachers make a living wage with yearly increases. As many have pointed out, as a teacher you know what you are walking into.

Last edited by sprtsfan247; 05-08-19 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-08-19, 02:44 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Posts: 673
Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Where can you go from there?
Not stating this because I think teaching is an easy job is or saying they are not under paid, but it seems like everyone thinks the private sector is all boats and "homes" (Step Brothers reference). Plus, I have encouraged my son to look into the profession and do his homework before he goes all in.

**************************

For 97% of employees where I work- maybe 1-3% raise each year, max out at 20 vacation days after 15 years, family of 4 = $525/month for health, dental and vision and plan on paying 100% of medical out of pocket until you hit $2,700 deductible and then 80/20 until you hit a $6,000 out of pocket max.

Work ~230 days a year (260-10 holidays-20 vacation days) and not counting coming in on weekends which is normal and part of salary.

Maybe 3% of employees become senior managers, work 60+ hours a week, have to relocate multiple times and make more than a school superintendent, but not typical.

**************************

Some additional info because my son researched it as part of his senior project;

Work 190 days a year - any sick or personal days

Teacher pension = 70% of highest pay in final 5 years. $85,000 x 70% = $59,500/yr

Plus they can pay into a 403B

15 sick days and 2 personal days a year (not counting major surgery to spouse/kids)

Sick days are worth $360/day and are paid out upon retirement at 70%, max out at 370 days (possibility of $93,240 "severance").

Health Insurance premium = $80 every 2 weeks, 80/20 until $500 deductible is met, then 100%

Union dues $45/pay until ~$850 is paid in a year

Cover someone else's class $125 on top of regular pay

Cover detention in the morning $25/hour

Last edited by Smalls; 05-08-19 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-08-19, 03:02 PM
DonJuanDeMarco DonJuanDeMarco is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-10-18
Posts: 56
DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
"They can pay into a 403(b)" isn't a benefit. And a lot of the others listed will vary by district. You're also nuts if you think teachers don't come in on weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-08-19, 03:57 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,043
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanDeMarco View Post
"They can pay into a 403(b)" isn't a benefit. And a lot of the others listed will vary by district. You're also nuts if you think teachers don't come in on weekends.
Oh darn. An occasional weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-08-19, 04:35 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Posts: 673
Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanDeMarco View Post
"They can pay into a 403(b)" isn't a benefit. And a lot of the others listed will vary by district. You're also nuts if you think teachers don't come in on weekends.
Look if I could do it again I would go into teaching, my neighbors both teach and their cars are in the driveway when both my wife (Chemical Engineer) and I (Financial Analyst) leave in the morning and also when I come home at night. I also love that they invite us to their cottage multiple times throughout the summer in exchange for my son cutting their grass while they are gone.

I say good for them, they didn't have any impact on my chosen profession.......but it is not all about salaries. Work/family balance and premium benefits go way above and beyond the private sector and make it real attractive in my eyes. Especially if both spouses are teachers.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-08-19, 05:24 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 3,450
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Look if I could do it again I would go into teaching, my neighbors both teach and their cars are in the driveway when both my wife (Chemical Engineer) and I (Financial Analyst) leave in the morning and also when I come home at night. I also love that they invite us to their cottage multiple times throughout the summer in exchange for my son cutting their grass while they are gone.

I say good for them, they didn't have any impact on my chosen profession.......but it is not all about salaries. Work/family balance and premium benefits go way above and beyond the private sector and make it real attractive in my eyes. Especially if both spouses are teachers.
Not all teachers are the same. My wife has worked 12 years as a Math/Science teacher and works a minimum of 12 hrs per day and minimum of 4 hours on a weekend so that is 64 hours. She also spends weeks in the summer getting ready for the next year (2-3) and at least 1 week finishing up the current year.

Then there is request for tutoring and she feels obligated to help if the parents and kid are serious at all with giving a good effort, which probably 80% are so there goes mon-fri mornings in the summer. There is also continuing education requirements so more summer time disappears.

My daughter wanted to go into education, we quickly redirected her to accounting and finance and she gets tons more time off than my wife and earns more as well. There will be no teachers coming out of our family if we can help it.

I recall reading how many teachers marriages end in divorce, didn't get it back then, think I clearly see how that happens now.

Better get the house cleaned up, she could be home in a couple hours.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-08-19, 05:25 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 19,403
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
New teachers are underpaid. 20 year teachers and Administrators? Not so much. And many of them are married to each other. I can't think of many long term teachers or Administrators that shouldn't be millionaires, unless they're actively not trying.

Two married SCHOOL BUILDING Admins, not a rare occurence are pulling in 200-250K a year in an in to work late, our early urban setting where a house costs $17 grand. Quit yer beatchin.

Meet few of them I feel that could survive, let alone thrive in the white collar market place at equivalent salaries. About the only ones I meet that actually partake in their vocation, the ones they teach are the Art and Music. Most of the STEM? Never pick up a professinal journal, let alone research, create.... English? Don't see them entering poetry contests. History? Pretend politicians, without the responsibility.


Add in that with the bid system, more experienced, higher paid teachers actually get the easier work load? That's not quite a system that works. Younger teachers, who do most of the extra-curriculars should be getting a bigger piece of the pie and instead of this equal step system, it should be a compressed system, just like in the real world. Higher starting salary and raises at the beginning to let your younger employees have a bank account and begin a life, with increasingly smaller steps to keep the budget in-line.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHSAA Award Winners Announced, Including Four into Circle of Champions Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-19-19 01:41 PM
Marion Local Loses Beloved Teacher And Coach radiodaveagain Football 2 11-05-18 06:03 PM
Ohio Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame is set to induct the Class of 201 Refman Wrestling 0 10-01-18 11:12 AM
Teacher vs outside hire as coach crazyotto Boys Basketball 95 05-04-18 09:39 AM
OHSAA to Honor 6 Former Greats in Circle of Champions at Boys State Basketball Tourny Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-20-18 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz