Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-19, 09:20 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
high or low or accurate. my point was that 95% of high school coaches would probably love to get paid roughly $90k a year to coach basketball and watch a study hall for 3 periods a day. Not many get that opportunity and have to coach, teach, coach a second sport, work in the summer, etc to make $90k a year.
Not to mention the gravy train golf coach gig that Coach Mason was offered as well.
Old 05-23-19, 09:28 AM
All District

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
forgot about that. hey go sit in a golf cart for a few hours a day, play free rounds of golf and collect another $4500. life is just too hard sometimes.
Old 05-23-19, 11:15 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
I can tell you that at least one area coach was offered just south of 90k to be the head basketball coach and do some administrative duties in the school throughout the school day. When that wasn't enough they went back and tried to sweeten the pot a bit by having him coach golf for some gravy money. It still didn't work out so here we are.
If any of this is true and Mason said "no" he should have his head examined. For the record, I think Mason is a very good up and coming coach. But IMO I don't see he has accomplished enough to warrant such an offer. Maybe in a few years if he keeps progressing, but not yet. At this point you still don't know if Brush' s recent success is more a factor of his coaching or an exceptional class of athletes.
Old 05-23-19, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
It’s official:

https://www.ignatiuswildcats.com/new...e/show/1022341

Don’t think many saw this coming, but welcome Coach Joyce.
Old 05-23-19, 11:59 AM
Varsity

catholic98 is on a distinguished road
Incredible... The largest boys school in the state with a top ten athletic department just hired a young man under 30, who has a grand total of, from what they said in the release, , ONE year of coaching experience as an GA in college. NEVER been a head coach or had any success or track record of moving through the ranks in "coaching". I am sorry, asst. video coordinator and basketball ops guy at Florida and OU does not make one qualified to coach.
They school passes on numerous qualified alums with EXPERIENCE - for reasons that make no sense. Almost like they turned their back on their own. Shameful.
I am sure Mr. Joyce is a a nice young man and comes from a good family. That does NOT make him qualified to coach at St. Ignatius, or any D1 school for that matter.
Old 05-23-19, 02:55 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholic98 View Post
Incredible... The largest boys school in the state with a top ten athletic department just hired a young man under 30, who has a grand total of, from what they said in the release, , ONE year of coaching experience as an GA in college. NEVER been a head coach or had any success or track record of moving through the ranks in "coaching". I am sorry, asst. video coordinator and basketball ops guy at Florida and OU does not make one qualified to coach.
They school passes on numerous qualified alums with EXPERIENCE - for reasons that make no sense. Almost like they turned their back on their own. Shameful.
I am sure Mr. Joyce is a a nice young man and comes from a good family. That does NOT make him qualified to coach at St. Ignatius, or any D1 school for that matter.
Your own personal opinions aside, clearly the selection committee, principal saw things in Cameron Joyce that impressed them enough to pass over others that you would prefer. They regarded him as the best possible candidate.

I wish him well.
Old 05-23-19, 02:59 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
Interesting hire for sure. Wish Cam the best of luck in this adventure. I am sure it will be an adventure seeing as how this all went down.
Just ďhowĒ did it go down?
Old 05-23-19, 07:06 PM
All American

bluengold
https://www.cleveland.com/highschool...-ignatius.html
Old 05-23-19, 08:12 PM
Varsity

catholic98 is on a distinguished road
A camel is a race horse designed by a committee...

Committee was a joke....4 people experienced familiar with coaching and athletics.. the rest know little about ignatius is or basketball.. or coaching.. or th e history , culture and tradition of the school...

Bottom line.... they hired a;unqualified person with. No ties to the school... WHY?
Old 05-23-19, 08:45 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
I gotta say this one stumped me. You hire a guy with zero coaching experience? None? Seems like a poor choice. He did seem like a nice guy when interviewed by Cleveland.com, but being nice does not qualify you to be a head basketball coach. Disappointing.
Old 05-23-19, 10:43 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Ignatius about to bring in a bit more flava in these next couple recruiting classes
Old 05-23-19, 11:56 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
Been my point. The splineless and unqualified make way too many decisions. It is a sad state of high school sports but I wish them the best. We root for our teams but many don’t want these jobs that are really good.
Old 05-24-19, 06:29 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
It's pretty obvious the trend that is happening in HS and college bball. Talents wins games... without out it you can't win. Colleges and high schools are starting to hire coaches who can bring in the best talent. See Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard. Happening in HS as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 05-24-19, 09:38 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
CatAlum must be rolling over in his grave! Hahahahahahaha
Old 05-24-19, 10:17 AM
All District

frs1930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Ignatius about to bring in a bit more flava in these next couple recruiting classes
I don't know what you mean by this, but I will just assume you're making a racist and bigoted comment. That is inappropriate and you have shown your true colors.
Old 05-24-19, 10:58 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post

The thing that is going on with the Wildcats is a tragedy and people like you should stay out of it, stop feeding the fire with kindling...maybe even say a prayer that a wounded school can figure a way to work it out.

So, what do you say? Why don't you stop with all of the hurtful stuff? You may have good reason to dislike Joyce, maybe you know lots about it (I know that you do); maybe you have properly identified who is "wrong" in all this, but it doesn't mean that what you are doing is justified. It's sinful, actually...
Old 05-24-19, 11:03 AM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
It's pretty obvious the trend that is happening in HS and college bball. Talents wins games... without out it you can't win. Colleges and high schools are starting to hire coaches who can bring in the best talent. See Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard. Happening in HS as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
If thatís the case, how do you account for Mentorís consistent success. Their winning records over the past 25 years without any super athletes is a great example of high school basketball success without recruiting the best talent.
Old 05-24-19, 11:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Tallone is on a distinguished road
Ok let’s get real. Yes it is nice to have good or great athletes.. Winning in high school basketball is about basketball skill. Great coaches develops skills with their players from the junior high and up to build a real program. And if you have great athletes who also develop great skills , that can take you to another level. Too many folks today hung up on the greatness of A A U. That is not about skill development. That is all star teams playing a lot of 1 on 1. Great high school programs who have long term success don’t necessarily have the most gifted athletes but they still win. It is even becoming more prevelant in college ball as well.. veryrarely do teams win in the national tourney with a bunch of one and done players. It’s about coaching and developing a system that truly develops players. That is what a great high school coach does who truly builds a successful program.
Old 05-24-19, 11:35 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallone View Post
Ok letís get real. Yes it is nice to have good or great athletes.. Winning in high school basketball is about basketball skill. Great coaches develops skills with their players from the junior high and up to build a real program. And if you have great athletes who also develop great skills , that can take you to another level. Too many folks today hung up on the greatness of A A U. That is not about skill development. That is all star teams playing a lot of 1 on 1. Great high school programs who have long term success donít necessarily have the most gifted athletes but they still win. It is even becoming more prevelant in college ball as well.. veryrarely do teams win in the national tourney with a bunch of one and done players. Itís about coaching and developing a system that truly develops players. That is what a great high school coach does who truly builds a successful program.
College ball is different with one and dones... they are 2 or 3 years younger than senior laden college teams... makes it tougher to win. But, by and large, at the high school level if you look at teams that win state championship most have the ability to attract kids from more than just their own school district. They are either private schools or open enrollment public schools who draw outside kids. And I never said anything about great athletes... I said basketball talent. Colleges and high schools are trying to attract the best basketball talent and some are deciding to hire coaches who can do that.
Old 05-24-19, 02:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
The thing that is going on with the Wildcats is a tragedy and people like you should stay out of it, stop feeding the fire with kindling...maybe even say a prayer that a wounded school can figure a way to work it out.

So, what do you say? Why don't you stop with all of the hurtful stuff? You may have good reason to dislike Joyce, maybe you know lots about it (I know that you do); maybe you have properly identified who is "wrong" in all this, but it doesn't mean that what you are doing is justified. It's sinful, actually...
What did I say that was hurtful? Why would you think I dislike Cameron? I'm thrilled for him. CatAlum is a former poster who I used to go back and forth with. I'm confused at how you could find anyting offensive with my post.
Old 05-24-19, 02:46 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great coaches develops skills with their players from the junior high and up to build a real program. And if you have great athletes who also develop great skills , that can take you to another level. Too many folks today hung up on the greatness of A A U. That is not about skill development. That is all star teams playing a lot of 1 on 1. Great high school programs who have long term success donít necessarily have the most gifted athletes but they still win. Itís about coaching and developing a system that truly develops players. That is what a great high school coach does who truly builds a successful program.
Tallone: You are right on. I believe that is precisely what makes Mentorís program so successful ďPROGRAMĒ.
Old 05-24-19, 07:10 PM
Junior Varsity

Tallone is on a distinguished road
I do know that. I was a successful high school coach for 15 years in the 80s and 90s and that is what we did. We built it from grades 7-12 and had a great deal of success. Too many times these days coaches are just hoping for talent to win.. But a real program never rebuilds, it just reloads
Old 05-24-19, 11:51 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
Those days are gone at some places. But when you win with your OWN players, it makes it that much sweeter !
Old 05-25-19, 06:54 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I do know that. I was a successful high school coach for 15 years in the 80s and 90s and that is what we did. We built it from grades 7-12 and had a great deal of success. Too many times these days coaches are just hoping for talent to win.. But a real program never rebuilds, it just reloads
This is an unspoken advantage that public schools have over private schools. When you can begin the coaching process in 7th and 8th grade (or earlier), the players come to high school already indoctrinated into a system. Certainly there are advantages built in the system that benefit private schools, but that coin has two sides.
Old 05-28-19, 12:43 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
CatAlum is alive and well. Whether he is rolling or not, that remains to be seen.
Old 05-28-19, 02:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
CatAlum is alive and well. Whether he is rolling or not, that remains to be seen.
Good to hear, we both will be rooting for the Wildcats now.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-19, 09:33 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
This is an unspoken advantage that public schools have over private schools. When you can begin the coaching process in 7th and 8th grade (or earlier), the players come to high school already indoctrinated into a system. Certainly there are advantages built in the system that benefit private schools, but that coin has two sides.

No sense speaking about nonsense.
Old 06-02-19, 09:33 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait until all these Westside kids who have come up through the Murphys AC AAU program in hopes of one day becoming a Wildcat get cut. There will no doubt be kids outside the "normal" Iggy recruiting circle being brought in. It's going to be very interesting to see how the blue hairs in the stands at Iggy are going to feel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 06-05-19, 03:23 PM
Freshman

PINSTRIKE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StowInTheKnow View Post
Thoughts anyone
Lots of Talented coaches out there. We need someone local, but the best teams get the best talent. At least we can pay well up here.

Maybe we can steal Coach Root from Cincinnati. They are hurting for coaches down there too.
Old 06-05-19, 05:31 PM
U.S. American

sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Wildcat basketball legend charged with 25 counts of murder. Yikes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-doses-n970026