Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 06:42 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Mo Njie tweaked his ankle right after he had a big dunk and then sprinted the other way to block a Springfield layup.

With no Njie and Marchal, I believe my Crusaders will win by 25.
Old 03-14-19, 07:22 AM
All District

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
On his first technical, not sure what happened, maybe he said something so I'm not disputing that. The 2nd one, they called a foul on a Springfield player, and I was watching the point guard. As soon as that whistle blew, he literally jogged to the other end where the free throws were coming. Said nothing, didn't look at anyone. He literally jogged to the other end, presumably to avoid everyone else as there was a lot of bodies in a small area. It was the worse call I have ever seen made in sports, as if the official was headhunting a technical for so.e reason. It was bad enough he fouled out Springfields to best players on horrendous calls. Now he hands Mpeller a regional on the most ridiculous technical ever called. Ever. Argue all you want, but he said nothing, he didn't look at anyone, he simply jogged down the court to get ready for his teammates free throws. I don't follow either team but it was a horrible thing to do to a player.

That one official has zero business doing tournament games ever again. He was out there living some sort of dream and really wanted to impress someone in the stands. Had no idea how to officiate a game at that level.

4 great teams last night, looks like the stars are aligning for Big Moe, with East having lost Mangold and now Centerville losing their point guard, and their center will be playing at least a little hurt.

Will the Moeller defense give up more than 40 in either game in Columbus next week? That's the best defensive team I have ever seen, they certainly can have a bad offensive night and still win going forward.
Old 03-14-19, 08:05 AM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
On his first technical, not sure what happened, maybe he said something so I'm not disputing that. The 2nd one, they called a foul on a Springfield player, and I was watching the point guard. As soon as that whistle blew, he literally jogged to the other end where the free throws were coming. Said nothing, didn't look at anyone. He literally jogged to the other end, presumably to avoid everyone else as there was a lot of bodies in a small area. It was the worse call I have ever seen made in sports, as if the official was headhunting a technical for so.e reason. It was bad enough he fouled out Springfields to best players on horrendous calls. Now he hands Mpeller a regional on the most ridiculous technical ever called. Ever. Argue all you want, but he said nothing, he didn't look at anyone, he simply jogged down the court to get ready for his teammates free throws. I don't follow either team but it was a horrible thing to do to a player.

That one official has zero business doing tournament games ever again. He was out there living some sort of dream and really wanted to impress someone in the stands. Had no idea how to officiate a game at that level.

4 great teams last night, looks like the stars are aligning for Big Moe, with East having lost Mangold and now Centerville losing their point guard, and their center will be playing at least a little hurt.

Will the Moeller defense give up more than 40 in either game in Columbus next week? That's the best defensive team I have ever seen, they certainly can have a bad offensive night and still win going forward.
I believe this account to be FAR more credible:

"In his defense I think he was just being emotional and trying to get his teammates on that same level. Problem is he couldn't control that emotion. Multiple times he was caught being "extra" after whistles. Grabbing balls from opposing players after fouls, a little extra shove here, a stepover there. He was being warned by the refs multiple times, along with a couple of the Springfield guys as well. But the common denominator in each little scuffle was the same Centerville player and he finally got called for it. The 2nd tech was more of the same "extra", snatching the ball from a Springfield player after a foul and the kid flopped. Ref sees at least part of it and it's the SAME common denominator so he hit him with his 2nd. Mind you after the first tech he really didn't change how he was acting much, so he set himself up for failure.

On another note, it looked like the Centerville bench was close to getting a technical near the end as well for not sitting. "
Old 03-14-19, 08:10 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Lakota East's 'special season' comes to an end in regional

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...N3nZPFssS4WeJ/
Nice article, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-19, 08:54 AM
Varsity

1SportsFan is on a distinguished road
https://twitter.com/dundiditsports1/...55243828207616

Hmmm.....
Old 03-14-19, 08:59 AM
Varsity

DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SportsFan View Post
This looks awful.
Old 03-14-19, 09:23 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Terrible calls.....wish officials would see themselves more like the seldom played sub....go in the game, do exactly what you are supposed to do, nothing else, and don't screw it up. Instead they often insert themselves in the outcome by making the big call to impact the outcome or in this case a future game.
Old 03-14-19, 09:30 AM
All World

AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Terrible calls.....wish officials would see themselves more like the seldom played sub....go in the game, do exactly what you are supposed to do, nothing else, and don't screw it up. Instead they often insert themselves in the outcome by making the big call to impact the outcome or in this case a future game.
So tell me....

What was said that earned the young man his second ?
Old 03-14-19, 09:31 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Whether you agree or disagree with the call, the Springfield kid sold it well. I wonder if Ryan said something that got him the other technical.
Old 03-14-19, 09:44 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Whether you agree or disagree with the call, the Springfield kid sold it well. I wonder if Ryan said something that got him the other technical.
Look at the reactions. No one knows what's going on and it came from the only referee out of frame in that video. Springfield doesn't get excited when they hear the whistle because no one knows what it's for.
Old 03-14-19, 10:23 AM
All District

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
Anyone who thinks he should have got the 2nd technical is just an apologist for all referees. 99% do a fine and thankless job but the problem is if you referees stand behind the one bad apple like that guy.

You don't go looking for a technical, you just call a technicam when something blatant happens or is said. He already got a technical so he literally was making sure to avoid any post whistle scrums. He saw a foul called on Springfield and then immediately jogged to the other end. The first one maybe, the second, anyone who saw it or watched replay cannot possibly come to a reasonable conclusion that the point guard should have received a technical.

What's amazing is that it almost seemed like that specific ref decided he had to take control of a game getting out of hand, when it was not at all getting out of hand. Late in the game, a few tied up balls where guys were fighting for possession, and never did any player on either team even remotely get out of line. Yes it was physical but very clean from both teams.

No way any reasonable person can think he should have got the 2nd technical. It's just not even possible as the instant the foul was called he jogged the other direction without opening his mouth to the other end. All the referrals apologists can tall all they want about him being this one that but the play he was called for on the 2nd one, no way did he do anything even in the grey area to warrant a technical. Official just was trying to impress someone and blow his whistle yet again. It just didn't make any sense at all since then point guard wasn't even part of that play, and after the play never was anywhere near anyone since he started to jog to the other end. Just amazing anyone could side with the official on the 2nd technical. Unbelievable.
Old 03-14-19, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
Anyone who thinks he should have got the 2nd technical is just an apologist for all referees. 99% do a fine and thankless job but the problem is if you referees stand behind the one bad apple like that guy.

You don't go looking for a technical, you just call a technicam when something blatant happens or is said. He already got a technical so he literally was making sure to avoid any post whistle scrums. He saw a foul called on Springfield and then immediately jogged to the other end. The first one maybe, the second, anyone who saw it or watched replay cannot possibly come to a reasonable conclusion that the point guard should have received a technical.

What's amazing is that it almost seemed like that specific ref decided he had to take control of a game getting out of hand, when it was not at all getting out of hand. Late in the game, a few tied up balls where guys were fighting for possession, and never did any player on either team even remotely get out of line. Yes it was physical but very clean from both teams.

No way any reasonable person can think he should have got the 2nd technical. It's just not even possible as the instant the foul was called he jogged the other direction without opening his mouth to the other end. All the referrals apologists can tall all they want about him being this one that but the play he was called for on the 2nd one, no way did he do anything even in the grey area to warrant a technical. Official just was trying to impress someone and blow his whistle yet again. It just didn't make any sense at all since then point guard wasn't even part of that play, and after the play never was anywhere near anyone since he started to jog to the other end. Just amazing anyone could side with the official on the 2nd technical. Unbelievable.
I agree with the game never being out of hand. Looked 2 teams who just didnt want their seasons to end
Old 03-14-19, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Crusada View Post
I believe this account to be FAR more credible:

"Problem is he couldn't control that emotion. Multiple times he was caught being "extra" after whistles. Grabbing balls from opposing players after fouls, a little extra shove here, a stepover there. He was being warned by the refs multiple times. But the common denominator in each little scuffle was the same Centerville player and he finally got called for it. The 2nd tech was more of the same "extra", snatching the ball from a Springfield player after a foul and the kid flopped. Ref sees at least part of it and it's the SAME common denominator so he hit him with his 2nd. Mind you after the first tech he really didn't change how he was acting much, so he set himself up for failure.
I could see this from the handful of video clips. Probably the type of kid if he is on your team, you love him, but if not, easy to root against.

Sucks for him, but his antics got the best of him.

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 03-14-19 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 11:29 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I could see this from the handful of video clips. Probably they type of kid if he is on your team, you love him, but if not, easy to root against.

Agree Purple--he played very well vs. Mason on Saturday at UD, but was always involved in some "punky plays" throughout the game especially when Mason made it tight into the final 30 seconds--definitely plays with an edge!
Old 03-14-19, 11:59 AM
All Region

StSebastian is on a distinguished road
If you look closely... on the 2nd technical, the official in the frame behind the play even looks like he says... "I didn't see it" as the other runs in...
Old 03-14-19, 12:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I could see this from the handful of video clips. Probably the type of kid if he is on your team, you love him, but if not, easy to root against.

That doesn't make the calls correct.
Old 03-14-19, 12:12 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iím not familiar with either team- and unsure of what calls were on who- can you clarify with #s?

The first obviou foul I saw was #22 white
Old 03-14-19, 12:18 PM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Iím not familiar with either team- and unsure of what calls were on who- can you clarify with #s?

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY OF THE REFS!!! That's the real shame! Cincinnati refs getting jobbed as usual for guys further north. Everyone in the know understands how this works.

I feel bad for the great cincinnati refs who get shut out
Old 03-14-19, 12:21 PM
Varsity

1SportsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post

2 technical fouls were called on #0, Ryan Marchal, on these plays.
Old 03-14-19, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY OF THE REFS!!! That's the real shame! Cincinnati refs getting jobbed as usual for guys further north. Everyone in the know understands how this works.

5 guys from "Dayton" 4 from "Cincy" for the D1 Regionals this year. The Centerville game was all Dayton guys.
Old 03-14-19, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post

It shouldnít matter what part of the state they are from. At this point in tournament should only be the best. These guys didnít even know basic rotations
Old 03-14-19, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
It shouldnít matter what part of the state they are from. At this point in tournament should only be the best. These guys didnít even know basic rotations
Yes they do, one of them has been to Columbus many times and all of them have been officiating for years. Lets not act like that was an easy game to officiate. The game before was easy.
Old 03-14-19, 01:36 PM
Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Bogus technicals

First of all, technicals aren't a cumulative scoring system, although coaches do get warnings then go over the limit. The first technical was the most obvious flop I've ever seen, even on a charge. The Cville player got up and was heading down court. The players touched shoulders, then the Sfield player launched himself backwards by taking a few steps on his own. Then he pushed himself along the floor after he landed. Probably 20 feet in total. I've watched it in full speed and slomo and it looks the same both ways - so clearly a flop.

The 2nd tech, he tapped the ball that was in a teammate's hands as he ran by to get to the other end of the floor for free throws.

I have no idea if anything was said to warrant techs but the flop and the ball touch definitely did not. Too bad the ref had to feel like a bigshot. Definitely makes the lond odds even longer for Cvile vs. Moe.
Old 03-14-19, 01:36 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Centerville I feel your pain. Last year incident with Bazley and Princeton was BS to me. But people said rules are rules, so keep that same energy
Old 03-14-19, 03:22 PM
All World

The majority of officials are great, but don't think for a second that some don't carry grudges and they will decide to stick it to a team, maybe they don't like the coach. It is a shame that they penalize the students. As for players that are always pushing it, I have found good officials handle the player and situation just fine. It's the ones that are looking to penalize a team or can't handle it that have to go Barney Fife and get out their 1 bullet and gun.
Old 03-14-19, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
Centerville I feel your pain. Last year incident with Bazley and Princeton was BS to me. But people said rules are rules, so keep that same energy
I didn't like the Bazley deal last season but it wasn't subjective, he left the bench. That is automatic.
Old 03-14-19, 03:23 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
The majority of officials are great, but don't think for a second that some don't carry grudges and they will decide to stick it to a team, maybe they don't like the coach. It is a shame that they penalize the students. As for players that are always pushing it, I have found good officials handle the player and situation just fine. It's the ones that are looking to penalize a team or can't handle it that have to go Barney Fife and get out their 1 bullet and gun.
I almost completely disagree with this entire statement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-19, 03:28 PM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The problem with clips like this is that it's only a few seconds of the whole game. But it was interesting to watch the difference between the two games last night. In the first game they called it close on both teams. THe refs wanted to control any extras and I thought Moeller and LE handled it well.

In the Centerville-Springfield game the refs let 'em go early and you could see there was a lot of chippy stuff all night. Then the refs started calling it close but it seemed inconsistent. I read one article about #0 and how he was doing a little extra all night and it finally caught up to him in the end. Usually that's what happens, they pull something they may have gotten away with earlier in the game so they get bolder and more emotional and then when it starts getting called close sometime a young athlete doesn't know how to control it and/or the refs have just had enough. I don't think you can just look at a few seconds when there was 32 minutes of basketball played in that game and there was a lot going on at both ends of the court. Nothing really dirty just in your face type stuff that when left unchecked can lead to what ended up happening. It's unfortunate for the kid but in a game like that once you get one "T" you better get yourself under control or the second "T" is going to come like it did.
Old 03-14-19, 03:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
The problem with clips like this is that it's only a few seconds of the whole game. But it was interesting to watch the difference between the two games last night. In the first game they called it close on both teams. THe refs wanted to control any extras and I thought Moeller and LE handled it well.

In the Centerville-Springfield game the refs let 'em go early and you could see there was a lot of chippy stuff all night. Then the refs started calling it close but it seemed inconsistent. I read one article about #0 and how he was doing a little extra all night and it finally caught up to him in the end. Usually that's what happens, they pull something they may have gotten away with earlier in the game so they get bolder and more emotional and then when it starts getting called close sometime a young athlete doesn't know how to control it and/or the refs have just had enough. I don't think you can just look at a few seconds when there was 32 minutes of basketball played in that game and there was a lot going on at both ends of the court. Nothing really dirty just in your face type stuff that when left unchecked can lead to what ended up happening. It's unfortunate for the kid but in a game like that once you get one "T" you better get yourself under control or the second "T" is going to come like it did.
You are completely correct in everything you've said right here. Because it's a single clip it misses the entire extra context of the game. If you watch 0, he purposely takes an angle getting up where he can get a shove in to the opponent (slight but still purposeful). The opposing player takes advantage of another player that is vulnerable. This same exact play happens with 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter and zero happens for either team.

Taken on it's own without any context that incident is nothing. But this is with a few minutes left in the game where this same player was doing little things similar to this all game long, had been warned numerous times to cut it, AND had already gotten a technical foul because he wasn't cutting it out. Prior to this call basically every single scuffle and tick tack incident that happened during the game had 0 somewhere in the middle of it. As I stated last night after the game, the common denominator in every heated moment was 0. That's why he got the first tech.

Because of the decisions HE made here and throughout the game previously, he put himself in the position to be thrown out. He willfully turned over the decision for him to stay in the game to others. When you do that, don't cry about whether they do right with that decision or not.

Old 03-14-19, 03:55 PM
All World

Context matters people!