Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-04-19, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
East,

I take it you are NOT a fan of the private schools? Haha.
I'm a fan of any school that educates but before someone claims superiority, individually or systemically, I'm going to call them out if it's not on equal footing. Which is neither here nor there in this case.

SJJ has been "eh" all season and the sudden turn-around happens at the SAME time as a new player enters the mix. There's coaching there but it doesn't in MY book go into the "best in a long time," unless I suppose the coaching has been really sucky.

Coaching will happen when and if the team can show some defense against a superior team. Been a LONG time since Ed upset another team they were reasonably predicted to lose to, based upon talent acquisition. Even so, there are not many opportunities at his present assignment for him to coach under the same conditions as the life of an urban public student, so.... He has longevity and he's adequate but it's been 20 years since he's had a team over-achieve based upon parts.
Old 02-04-19, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post
Exactly. Look at what is happening on Bancroft the past few weeks to see getting talented guys to play well together ain't that easy.
Aside from a very talented sophomore class SF is not that talented. Wells and Harris are very good but aside from that SF is weak. Harris might be a perimeter player at the next level but him bouncing around the arc at this level is doing the Knights no good. Whitmer pushed SF around quite a bit last Friday and Colbert held Harris down.

I believe EIB is referring to the fact that it appeared Ed was heading for his worst team since the early 80's but the emergence of Lichtenburg getting healthy and the talented transfer Smith becoming eligible have turned that around. Against Lima last Friday those two accounted for 32 points. Ed can coach, but talent certainly matters.
Old 02-05-19, 11:36 AM
All American

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Aside from a very talented sophomore class SF is not that talented.
I believe as freshmen last year, there were 18 players in the program, time will tell how they all progress through the program, doubt half will remain through senior season. Outside of Zeb, the SFS Neal kid will be the next big recruit in the area, kid oozes skill.......
Old 02-05-19, 01:57 PM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
I believe as freshmen last year, there were 18 players in the program, time will tell how they all progress through the program, doubt half will remain through senior season. Outside of Zeb, the SFS Neal kid will be the next big recruit in the area, kid oozes skill.......
Is Neal a better recruit than Desean Nelson at Rogers? I have not seen Neal enough to decide, but every time I watch Nelson his talent wows me. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some big offers this summer.
Old 02-05-19, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

Neal has tremendous upside no doubt. He is skinny and weak. The best thing Wells did was play football as a senior. I have witnessed a far better and tougher version of that kid this year. Harris should have taken a cue from his brother and played football as well. Even if just to make a tougher basketball player.

Big game tonight between Whitmer and SJ. A Panther win about seals their deal as champs. A loss leaves some light for Lima Sr.
Old 02-05-19, 08:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
ír bivaly
الجاموس الايرلندي
Búbalo na hÉireann
ஐரிஷ் எருமை <---ooooh pretty
Ā'iriśa baphēlō
nyati ya kijisi
Iwi Irish
Ирландский буйвол
búfalo irlandés
irish buflox <-- closest one I could find to "big butt."

eh, this one was easy
Irishski Buffaloczyk

Last edited by eastisbest; 02-05-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

Light bends around Cavon Butler.

well ok, technically it bends around all of us but it's more obvious with him. You can see last week.

Last edited by eastisbest; 02-05-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 09:06 PM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Neal has tremendous upside no doubt. He is skinny and weak. The best thing Wells did was play football as a senior. I have witnessed a far better and tougher version of that kid this year. Harris should have taken a cue from his brother and played football as well. Even if just to make a tougher basketball player.

Big game tonight between Whitmer and SJ. A Panther win about seals their deal as champs. A loss leaves some light for Lima Sr.
Spartans still have Findlay and Whitmer at home. Can still win the league, but no wiggle room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-19, 11:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
eh, this one was easy
Irishski Buffaloczyk
Played against this kid. Best CYO football and basketball player ever. St. Hedwig kid (obviously). Smelled like Dzia Dzia's best Kielbasa and drove to the games. Dominated to the point that they almost renamed Westminster Gym Buffaloczyk Arena. Faded away in HS never to be seen again but I still see him in the upper left corner of gymnasiums and filed houses in the Toledo area from time to time.

Still upset old Ed called Vince Williams the best since JJ. Decided to make my own top 20 since 1989 from TCL and the 2011 TRAC/TCL split.

1). Jimmy Jackson - 6'6' Macomber, OSU, NBA journeyman
2). Brian Roberts - 6'2 - SJ, Dayton, NBA
3). Williams Buford - 6'4 - Libbey, OSU, Overseas
4). Nigel Hayes - 6'7 - Whitmer, Wisconsin, NBA/Overseas
5). Shane Komives - 6'6 - SJ, Cincy/BGSU
6). Donnie Dobbs - 6'3 - Macomber, St. Louis
7). Scoop Williams - 6'5 - Scott, Toledo, Overseas (top player IMO on that awesome 90' Scott team - produced Toledo's best girl player ever in Natasha Howard)
8). Marc Loving - 6'7 - SJ, OSU, Overseas
9). B.J. Raymond - 6'6 - SJ, Xavier, Overseas
10). Craig Thames - 5'11 - Waite, Toledo
11). John Ameachi - 6'10 - SJ, Penn State, NBA
12). Denny Amhrein - 6'1 - SJ, BGSU/Oakland (there are shooters, then there is Denny Amhrien)
13). Kevin Baker - 6'6 - SF, Minnesota/Toledo
14). Jay Larranaga - 6'5 - SJ, BGSU
15). Leshaun Howard - 6'7 - Libbey/Scott, Syracuse
16). Jermaine Tate - 6'9 - CCHS, OSU/Cincy
17). NeShaun Coleman - 6'3 - SJ, OSU
18). Larry Sykes - 6'9 - SF, Xavier, NBA
19). Zavier Simpson - 6'1 - Lima Sr., Michigan (story still being written)
20). John Floyd, 6'1 - SJ, Oakland/BGSU (kid just had a knack)

Honorable Mention - by school

St. Johns
Eddie Zeimke
Vince Williams (VCU)
Nate Miles (Waite/Libbey - UConn)
Zach Hillesland (ND)
Jake Holmes (BGSU)
Jon Jakubowski (BGSU)
Gabe Kynard (Lake Erie - avg. 18ppg currently)
Michael Taylor
Jay Springs
Norrils (Toledo Football)
Houston King (EKU)
John Walker
Eric Floyd (RIP)
Anthony Glover (Son - Chicago?)

Scott
Nakia Witcher - (6'5 Wright St.)
Derrick Ford - (6'9 Wisconsin GB)
Dennis Springs - (5'5 special - Owens/Ferris State)
Sean Scrutchins - (6'4 Dayton/Toledo)
Anthony Glover - (father - Toledo)
Lonacy Utley - (Toledo for a stint?)
Jon White- (help?)
Damien Washington - (Waite - Ohio U.)
Robert Sanders - (Wisconsin Milwaukee?)
Vershon Chears
Wesley Lamb

St. Francis
James Johnson (Kent St.)
Nolan Roberts (Valparaiso - older brother of #2)
Darryl Roberts (Kent St. - no relation to other Roberts)
Rick Fox (Buffalo)
Robierre Cullars (Toledo)
Marcus Taylor (Findlay)
Jeff Edgecomb (Miami/Hillsdale)
Shaun Stewart (6'8 backup- yes backup - on 91' team, Sacramento St.)

Central Catholic
Kris Matezeuwski (Stenson)
Kyle Hunt (Findlay)
Kechon Johnson (S. Florida)
Drew Lehman (Ferris State - would be my #21)
Cole kid (W. Kentucky)
Towbridge (Louisville Football)

Start
Deonte Henderson (Toledo)
Curtis Swilling
Craig Dotson

Libbey
Euyless Palmer (6'4 playmaker)
Devon Pitts (6'9)
Julian Wells (Marist)

Rogers
Clemmye Owens (Bethune-Cookman)
Terrence Kynard (Bethune-Cookmana)
Curtis Johnson (Western Michigan)

Bowsher
Delonte Brown (Miami OH)
Keith Triplett (Toledo)

DiVilbiss
Ronnie Easter (6'3 scoring machine)

Whitmer
Sam Hickey (Ohio Dominican - 16ppg currently)
Floyd Campbell (Ball State)
Leroy Alexander (Nebraska/YSU football)

Oregon Clay
Wes Taylor (6'6 Owens)
Zach Taylor (6'10 Toledo - INJ)

Findlay
CJ Gettys - (6'9 UNC Wilmington)

Waite
Jason Beyer - (6'8 Montana St.)
jordans_comeback

Could not think of one worthy Woodward kid. Help me out.

I'm sure I missed some. But Vince Williams does not even make my top 20. I cannot imagine what Nigel Hayes would do in today's TRAC or TCL at a 6'7" well rounded and 225lbs? There were some eras, or better yet years, where the TCL/TRAC was loaded.

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 02-07-19 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 07:10 AM
All Ohio

Woodward - Corey Allison, think was his name. 2nd to Jackson in pretty much all stats at the time.
Old 02-06-19, 08:28 AM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Guessing the Tobias(Ben I think) kid that went to Clay should be on the honorable mention list. He played at UT before retiring due to injury. He was in that 6'8"+ range.
Old 02-06-19, 08:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom View Post
Guessing the Tobias(Ben I think) kid that went to Clay should be on the honorable mention list. He played at UT before retiring due to injury. He was in that 6'8"+ range.
You are thinking of Zac Taylor at UT with the back injury.

Tobias would have been before that prior to Clay playing in the TCL/TRAC. He played at The Citadel.

Clay kids who played in the TCL/TRAC who put up some solid numbers besides the Taylors;

AJ Achter MLB
Drew Kuns BGSU Baseball 1st team all league in 3 sports
Patrick Booth 1,000 point scorer

Other than that it has been a pretty dry spell at Clay for a long time.

Andrew Taylor St. Johns (Wes and Zac's cousin) played a year at Hillsdale College and then transferred to top 25 program Xavier and played about 10 min a game for 3 years. Some serious height in that family.
Old 02-06-19, 09:49 AM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
You are thinking of Zac Taylor at UT with the back injury.

Tobias would have been before that prior to Clay playing in the TCL/TRAC. He played at The Citadel.

Yeah, that's right. Man, time flies.
Old 02-06-19, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Andrew Taylor, good catch. Forgot all about him.

Benji Tobias was a very solid post man, and yes he went on to play at the Citadel, but as mentioned he played in the old GLL days. So did Steve Finch and Josh Jaco and Sean Granger (RIP), and Tom Clay. I did mention one GLL guy but that is only because I am a Whitmer homer. Tom Clay and Floyd Campbell had some battles. Had Clay's grades been better he could have played in the MAC. The kid could jump out of the gym.

Those other Clay guys mentioned were good but I'd take Brett McDougal over them all. He was the top player on a winning team that went to the old TCL Final 4 (West Taylor was a soph.).

Pat Booth? We are getting carried away now. I could mention 20 more kids from Scott alone that were better. And it is MY list and I will do what I want.

And yes, unfortunately time flies...
Old 02-06-19, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Pat Booth? We are getting carried away now. I could mention 20 more kids from Scott alone that were better. And it is MY list and I will do what I want.

And yes, unfortunately time flies...
lol was only looking at him vs other Clay guys since they joined the TCL/TRAC. Not much to pick from. He did score 1,000 though. Has to count for something.
Old 02-06-19, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Light bends around Cavon Butler.

well ok, technically it bends around all of us but it's more obvious with him. You can see last week.
Great kid and more athletic than one would think.

The other kid finally coming into his own is Trey Syroka. Some DIII college is going to land a gem with him. He is probably 5'9-5'10 145lbs. and has not even gotten his man skin yet. When all is said and done he will be 5'11" 170lbs. and a great college PG (4.0 student - 32 ACT - I believe he sees everything in code).
Old 02-06-19, 11:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Central Catholic
Kris Matezeuwski (Stenson)
Kyle Hunt (Findlay)
Kechon Johnson (S. Florida)
Drew Lehman (Ferris State - would be my #21)
Cole kid (W. Kentucky)
Kelly Hunt should make the Irish list, graduated in 1999 on a team with Lamar Chears that made it to a regional semi-final and had a full basketball ride to BGSU where he ended up starring on the diamond for the Falcons. Summer team camp in '98 at BGSU and Canton McKinley is playing CCHS and McKinley has Keith McCloud and it's 32-26 the Irish trailing at the half and Hunt had all 26, Dakich offered him on the spot.
Old 02-06-19, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
lol was only looking at him vs other Clay guys since they joined the TCL/TRAC. Not much to pick from. He did score 1,000 though. Has to count for something.
You know, Clay has never had a talent problem. Ask most Clay folks and they will tell you that they do not belong in the TRAC but that is all BS and the very attitude that sinks their ship before it even sets sail.

I can go back and name off countless athletes who went across town to the Big 3 or even Whitmer who went on to be All-State and play college athletics who are/were Oregon kids. Over the past decade I can name a whose who of girls volleyball players, football player, basketball players, and track athletes.

In that same time frame I believe Oregon Clay wrestling lost one kid. It is all about recruiting in your own district and building relationships.

Look at the current Clay basketball situation. The unfortunate Wamer injury stings but so too should be the fact that Finch (6'7 - dad & mom Oregon alums - both college athletes) and Crayer (6'6) are at Stritch, Batch (6'3) is at SJ, and Morrison (soph. - dad is Oregon alum and former college athlete - big Oregon benefactor). The question needs to be asked, why? Why are they leaving? Why are you allowing 6'6/6'7 kids to walk out the door? Why are we allowing distinguished alums who live in the city to take their kids elsewhere? If I'm AD I'm pounding the table asking these questions and figuring out answers. Its probably just me though.
Old 02-06-19, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Kelly Hunt should make the Irish list, graduated in 1999 on a team with Lamar Chears that made it to a regional semi-final and had a full basketball ride to BGSU where he ended up starring on the diamond for the Falcons. Summer team camp in '98 at BGSU and Canton McKinley is playing CCHS and McKinley has Keith McCloud and it's 32-26 the Irish trailing at the half and Hunt had all 26, Dakich offered him on the spot.
Was Kelly the baseball player? Too many Hunt's for me to remember them all. If I remember Kelly was bulkier. Played baseball at BG?

Which one has the freshman basketball stud at CCHS?
Old 02-06-19, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Waite
Jason Beyer - (6'8 Montana St.)
jordans_comeback
You're thinking of Waitesg1. J_C was a paunchy kid.

Ryne Smith ring a bell? Maybe I missed him on your list.

As for Waite:

Darius Glover is one of the better pure shooters I've seen over that time frame in the city and blind as a bat. Also had board game.

Brent Meredith's boardwork I'd put near the top of the league also, undersized as he was. Khari Riley was a shooter in the Nate Miles mold but was a streaky shooter.
Old 02-06-19, 01:14 PM
All Ohio

Grant Maxey (Scott 2006ish) - His mom was one of my wife's track coach at UT. He was a 1,700+ point scorer at D1 Jackson State.

Darion Griffin (Scott 2006ish) was also a 1,000+ point scorer at Jackson State.
Old 02-06-19, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You're thinking of Waitesg1. J_C was a paunchy kid.

Ryne Smith ring a bell? Maybe I missed him on your list.

As for Waite:

Darius Glover is one of the better pure shooters I've seen over that time frame in the city and blind as a bat. Also had board game.

Brent Meredith's boardwork I'd put near the top of the league also, undersized as he was. Khari Riley was a shooter in the Nate Miles mold but was a streaky shooter.
You're right, waitesg1. He turned out ok, even in a cake-eater environment.

Cannot believe I missed Ryne Smith.? Shame on me. I knew I was forgetting some good folks. Glover being one. Riley was talented, unsure if he makes my list of HM? Libbey had a bunch of good guys that just miss the HM list. The Sandridges and Peirce come to mind.
Old 02-06-19, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Grant Maxey (Scott 2006ish) - His mom was one of my wife's track coach at UT. He was a 1,700+ point scorer at D1 Jackson State.

Darion Griffin (Scott 2006ish) was also a 1,000+ point scorer at Jackson State.
I believe Griffin was a Waite kid who transferred to Scott senior year. I think he is the one I am thinking of? That Scott team beat that SJ team with Raymond and Hillesland. Without Roberts (year before) the Titan's lost some "it" factor.
Old 02-06-19, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Chris Poellnitz (Libbey) -Played with Miles and Bufford. Power point guard (6'2" 205) had great handles and just bullied guys to the rim. Think he played JUCO and then D1 down south somewhere.
Old 02-06-19, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Wells was the player on that team that cleaned the boards and showed his shooting ability when he got to college.

I think Maxey and Griffen were both Waite kids, went to Scott as well as maybe a few of those Woodward kids, missing off your list.
Old 02-06-19, 01:36 PM
All Ohio

Who was the kid who transferred from Scott to St. Francis about 10 years ago? Could jump out of the gym. Played 1 year with Darryl Roberts. I thought he was better than Darryl, may have gone the JUCO route.
Old 02-06-19, 01:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Was Kelly the baseball player? Too many Hunt's for me to remember them all. If I remember Kelly was bulkier. Played baseball at BG?

Which one has the freshman basketball stud at CCHS?
Kelly is the BGSU baseball player, CCHS 1999.

Kyle's son Kasey is the CCHS frosh. Kyle was 1997.
Old 02-06-19, 01:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who was the kid who transferred from Scott to St. Francis about 10 years ago? Could jump out of the gym. Played 1 year with Darryl Roberts. I thought he was better than Darryl, may have gone the JUCO route.

Wyse?
Old 02-06-19, 01:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Chris Wyse.

Great Chris Wyse story, he was set to transfer to CCHS along with SJJ starting QB Sean Patterson and when Sean Sr asked if his son was guaranteed the starting QB job he was told he'd have to earn a starting role that he would have to beat out Sanzenbacher and Jansen. Sean Sr didn't like that answer and kept his son a SJJ and Wyse left for Scott and CCHS won the 2005 state football championship with Kevin Jansen at QB and WR/CB/KR/PR Dane dominating all over the field.
Old 02-06-19, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Leave Jackson off your list, pick your five.
Hillesland
Wells
B Roberts
N Miles
Thames

and I'll beat anyone else you can pick. Hedged leaving off Hayes, he would have filled a nice role but I think Hillesland had the faster feet and a bit more versatily getting ball in hoop against a tough defender..at HS level. Poellnitz would have been my other option at pg. Poelnitz as quick as Thames with a bigger body but Thames and Roberts both used their team better. Third option would have been Scott's Washington.