Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-07-19, 06:48 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
No one knows when you'll find when go through one of those old farmhouses. Much against my wishes, if that ever worked, my wife bought a 119 acre farm in Westmorland County, Pa., that came with a house built in 1853 and a large barn. The insides of the house were a mess; hoarders could have been living there. We staked out a 10' by 12' area where we slept on a futon. Our food was cooked on a grill or in the microwave; a big cooler was a refrigerator. The bathrooms were the bushes outside the house. All the first floor floors were covered with linoleum. My wife wondered what was underneath the linoleum. So one day when I got through working in the fields (lots of fun stories there), I started digging up a part of the linoleum. What I found was amazing. 19th century planks made from chestnut trees (the tree that built America and was wiped out by the chestnut blight of the 1910's) The planks went the whole length of the house and were an inch thick. So instead of working the fields, my new job was removing the linoleum and the sticky tar stuff that held it to the floor. If I got 10 square feet done in the weekend with a belt sander, that was progess. Got it done and some interior decorator heard about it and offered us more for the wood floor (and the barn which was also made from chestnut) than the whole house cost us. While I was trying to convince her to sell (amongst many large battles), she developed cancer and that was the end of any idea about selling the wood.
Old 06-07-19, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
No one knows when you'll find when go through one of those old farmhouses. Much against my wishes, if that ever worked, my wife bought a 119 acre farm in Westmorland County, Pa., that came with a house built in 1853 and a large barn. The insides of the house were a mess; hoarders could have been living there. We staked out a 10' by 12' area where we slept on a futon. Our food was cooked on a grill or in the microwave; a big cooler was a refrigerator. The bathrooms were the bushes outside the house. All the first floor floors were covered with linoleum. My wife wondered what was underneath the linoleum. So one day when I got through working in the fields (lots of fun stories there), I started digging up a part of the linoleum. What I found was amazing. 19th century planks made from chestnut trees (the tree that built America and was wiped out by the chestnut blight of the 1910's) The planks went the whole length of the house and were an inch thick. So instead of working the fields, my new job was removing the linoleum and the sticky tar stuff that held it to the floor. If I got 10 square feet done in the weekend with a belt sander, that was progess. Got it done and some interior decorator heard about it and offered us more for the wood floor (and the barn which was also made from chestnut) than the whole house cost us. While I was trying to convince her to sell (amongst many large battles), she developed cancer and that was the end of any idea about selling the wood.
My dadís side of my family is from around there. The cabin that was my grandfatherís is made of that old chestnut and we assume the wood is worth more than the building or even land. I guess you can start to understand why when you consider this is a pre-depression house and despite pretty much everything else being replaced the wood still looks as good as new. Still crazy to think wood is worth that much!
Old 06-07-19, 10:56 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Yuppi and Millenials bars and restaurants go crazy for that genuine chestnut.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: