Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-06-19, 05:49 PM
All Region

Kickoff Classic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
I contacted OHSAA and I got a honest, straightforward response.

Move was OSU driven and input not received from coaches because it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It state tournament is to stay in current format (10 mats), Schott is only place to do it and the 2nd weekend in March is the only time.
Can you post the best email address for those who might want to contact the OHSAA and express their opinions on this change?
Old 04-06-19, 06:09 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickoff Classic View Post
Can you post the best email address for those who might want to contact the OHSAA and express their opinions on this change?
Per both Jerry Snodgrass and Tyler Brooks, it doesnít matter because these changes were not driven by OHSAA.

But those guys, and Mr. Mauer - who is the State wrestling tournament director - would be the ones to contact. Iím sure their emails are listed in the OHsAA website.
Old 04-06-19, 06:15 PM
All District

topwrestler is on a distinguished road
Why not move the Girls State Basketball to Otterbein or another location?
Old 04-06-19, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrestler View Post
Why not move the Girls State Basketball to Otterbein or another location?
Otterbein isn't large enough.

https://otterbeincardinals.com/sport...tab=facilities
Old 04-06-19, 08:03 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Back to the State fairgrounds.
Old 04-06-19, 09:05 PM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
It’s hogwash.
Old 04-06-19, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
I Have a reason to take Monday off. Cool.
Old 04-07-19, 07:03 AM
All District

topwrestler is on a distinguished road
The Girls Basketball tournament highest attendance was 5200. The OHSAA needs to calculate how much attendees for the Wrestling tournament they will lose by moving it to Sunday and is it truly Worley’s it when the tournament you are trying to accommodate has less attendees for one game than an entire session for wrestling generates.
Old 04-07-19, 11:14 AM
All Region

Lucksman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
Per both Jerry Snodgrass and Tyler Brooks, it doesnít matter because these changes were not driven by OHSAA.

But those guys, and Mr. Mauer - who is the State wrestling tournament director - would be the ones to contact. Iím sure their emails are listed in the OHsAA website.
If this is the case OSU is getting very pompus! That tourney has been there since 1999, everybody tells everybody what a great tourney we have, many people donated to that banner project, and now this, something is not right?

I have heard many suggestions over the years that would make the tourney BETTER, but they are always ignored. It seems one guy runs the tournament, there should be a committee.
Old 04-07-19, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I think its important

to keep having at the Schott as long as possible. Experimenting with different types of scheduling would be nice. A noon state finals on sunday would seem the most ideal.
Old 04-07-19, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
If they were able to restructure the format to put the finals on Sunday by itself, that would result in one less session right? (1 on Friday, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday). Let’s say the average ticket price is $20 and the attendance is 12,000...the OHSAA would miss out on 240k (Approximately)
Old 04-07-19, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
to keep having at the Schott as long as possible. Experimenting with different types of scheduling would be nice. A noon state finals on sunday would seem the most ideal.
Hard to believe that someone living in the Columbus area wants to keep it there.
Shocking!
IMO, anything on Sunday is a bad idea.
Old 04-07-19, 09:28 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
IMO, anything on Sunday is a bad idea.
Jim, does OHSAA care about your opinion?
Old 04-07-19, 10:28 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Jim, does OHSAA care about your opinion?
LOL Uh, not in the slightest.
Old 04-08-19, 05:13 AM
All Region

Lucksman is an unknown quantity at this point
No secret that wrestling loves going to the Schott. Obviously OSU knows that, how do you change a tourney after 20 years without caring about how it effects the event?? I would hate to see it leave OSU as well, they should host State Events, but they are being difficult. People hated to leave St. Johns years ago, but I will say the Nutter Center was a successful venue.
Old 04-08-19, 05:58 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, OHSAA gets forced by OSU to make moves without any other options (obviously unless they move it to another venue). Dr Mauer I am sure does not want it to leave and if this is the case it won't leave (just my opinion based on experience).

I think it is crazy to move it to Sunday but I have NO say in it anymore. They will lose attendance for sure. I say have Girls BB on Sunday. Sorry ladies, just have to look at the attendance numbers and know that is the right thing to do. They would play and get out of there a lot sooner that a wrestling tourney. IMO.

With that all said, they (OHSAA) moved the tourney a week later because of scheduling conflict with OSU and it upset people (trying to shorten the season a little and that did not help). Understood it might only be that one year, well we see it has not changed right. This will be the same way, once it is done this way one time it will stay status quo. Once again, just my experience.

The wrestling season (as most seasons I guess) needs to shorten. On both ends. Way too long. But it comes down to $$$$$ and not only OHSAA but teams that host invitationals don't want to lose their event to scheduling. As a wrestling community we need to understand the pains of making such a move and just do it.

These are my take on it, I know my opinion doesn't matter at all. But mark it down, move to Sunday and it will NEVER change (of course, unless it is an issue for OSU)

Coach McCoy
Old 04-08-19, 07:12 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
I say have Girls BB on Sunday. Sorry ladies, just have to look at the attendance numbers and know that is the right thing to do. They would play and get out of there a lot sooner that a wrestling tourney. IMO.
If what OSU is saying is true, this thought is irrelevant. They are saying that the main issue with Thursday-Saturday is space (parking) and congestion for their students and faculty during the weekdays because of the attendance of the tournament. Hence, the Friday-Sunday move for the higher attended event.

They will only have to deal with roughly 6k additional people on a Thursday on a crowded school day. Friday will have that 6k mixed with another 10k, but I would assume less school traffic, especially towards the end of the afternoon as Friday's are light class days at most universities.

This situation really sucks. I hope it is fixed next year, but I tend to agree with your thoughts about it not changing, unless the event takes a MAJOR hit in the pocketbooks. I have already decided that if the schedule remains the same, I will only attend Friday and Saturday. I won't buy anything at the arena. I won't buy 2 books of tickets and most likely, I will not buy them directly through OHSAA and OSU. I guess, it'll be nice to have a few extra bucks in March next year.
Old 04-08-19, 08:43 AM
Varsity

Bear73 is on a distinguished road
I know a lot of you won't care about my reason for not attending a Sunday session. The truth is I will be busy that day. As a minister I often preach to people about finding something better to do on Sunday than attending church. Well, now they can add something else to the list, teaching their kids that God should take a back seat to wrestling. I'm sorry I will miss the finals net year. I love wrestling, but first things first!

Rev Gordon Sampsel
Old 04-08-19, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
For me it's not so much the Fri-Sun timeline...

If it's ran Thur-Sat the way it has been run for years, I would have no complaints. Is Saturday excessively long?, yea, but I do not know a better way of recognizing all the athletes without doing the awards process the way it stands.

But keeping the same time table of events (sorry moving it up by 1/2 hour) does not do any good for preventing people from missing school. The kids will be now missing Monday as opposed to Thursday. I think it is in the OHSAA best interest to find a way to find an earlier way to start the finals before 5:00pm on a Sunday.
Old 04-08-19, 07:29 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
Well it comes off as complaining to just be completely honest.

A current crew would look as such now... Ref 34 matches (Either as an AR Or Official) and assist the table in assigning colors and "breaking" for 16 matches.

To start earlier, which, per your indication, this would not be adding to the length of their day as they are already there and in meetings, and run the extra round that consists of 168 total matches (about 17 extra matches per mat) seems like a logical solution to getting the finals to start at an earlier time.
I'm not trying to devalue the importance of the officials, but days have been longer at other tournaments during the year then what I proposed in this scenario.
Agree sounds like complaining. When you sign up to do a job and you get paid, just do it. Maybe time to do something else.
Old 04-09-19, 08:13 AM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
cra cra crazy
Old 04-09-19, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Food for thought, by no means am I advocating for this schedule because it does have its flaws, but it does give that visual representation for people to see what a schedule would look like if we took the current structure and moved an additional round to Friday and bumped everything else up 1 session (that can logistically be moved). Sunday would be medal rounds only.

After the OHSAA schedule I attached Florida HS State Tourny Schedule. Florida is also 3 divisions 1 location but it's ran in 2 days. They also only place top 6 so that's 42 less matches being held on day 2. Florida also runs through Trackwrestling now, and they run on 12 mats at Silver Spurs Arena. All 3 divisions wrestle at once where each division gets 4 mats. I coached there 2 years and I was there the first year they cut to 2 days and it was a very long Friday, but that year was also ran on 10 mats.
Again this is just a visual for those who like to see what others are proposing.

OHSAA State Tourny (3 days, 3 divisions, 10 mats)
Friday, March 13
8:00 AM Ticket Office Opens
9:00 AM Coaches packet pickup in Aux Gym – Enter SW doors. Scales available for unofficial weigh-in.
10:00 AM Coaches meeting in Main Arena. 10:15 AM Weigh-in begins in Aux Gym: D III, 10:15-10:30AM; D II, 10:30-10:45AM; D I, 10:45 AM-11:00 AM
11:15 PM Weigh-in ends.
12:00 p.m. - Doors open
1:00 p.m. - Session 1, Championship Preliminaries, Consolations Round 1, and Championship Quarterfinals (672 matches)
1:00 p.m. - Division III Championship Preliminaries begin on Mats 1-10
2:10 p.m. - Division II Championship Preliminaries begin on Mats 1-10
3:35 p.m. - Division I Championship Preliminaries begin on Mats 1-10
5:05 p.m. - Division III Consolations Round 1 begin on Mats 1-10
5:50 p.m. - Division II Consolations Round 1 begin on Mats 1-10
6:25 p.m. - Division I Consolations Round 1 begin on Mats 1-10
7:00 p.m. - Division III Championship Quarterfinals begin on Mats 1-10
7:35 p.m. - Division II Championship Quarterfinals begin on Mats 1-10
8:20 p.m. - Division I Championship Quarterfinals begin on Mats 1-10

Saturday, March 14
9:00 a.m. - Doors open
10:00 a.m. - Session 2, Consolations Round 2 (252 matches)
10:00 a.m. - Division III Consolations Round 2 begin on Mats 1-10
10:35 a.m.- Division II Consolations Round 2 begin on Mats 1-10
11:20a.m.- Division I Consolations Round 2 begin on Mats 1-10
12:10 p.m. - Division I Consolation Quarterfinals on Mats 1-3
12:10 p.m - Division II Consolation Quarterfinals begin on Mats 4-6
12:10 p.m - Division III Consolation Quarterfinals begin on Mats 7-9

5:30 p.m. - Doors open
6:15 p.m. - Ohio Coaches of the Year, Media & Sportsmanship Awards
6:30 p.m. - Session 3, Championship Semifinals and Consolation Semifinals (168 matches)
6:30 p.m. - Division I Championship Semifinals begin on Mats 1 & 2
6:30 p.m. - Division II Championship Semifinals begin on Mats 4 & 5
6:30 p.m. - Division III Championship Semifinals begin on Mats 7 & 8
8:40 p.m. - Division I Consolation Semifinals continue on Mats 1-3
8:40 p.m. - Division II Consolation Semifinals continue on Mats 4-6
8:40 p.m. - Division III Consolation Semifinals continue on Mats 7-9

Saturday, March 15
9:00 a.m. - Doors open
10:00 a.m. - Session 4, Consolation Finals (126 matches)
10:00 a.m. - Division I Third, Fifth and Seventh Place matches begin on Mats 1-3
10:00 a.m. - Division II Third, Fifth and Seventh Place matches begin on Mats 4-6
10:00 a.m. - Division III Third, Fifth and Seventh Place matches begin on Mats 7-9

2:00 p.m. - Doors open
3:20 p.m. - Hall of Fame Ceremonies
3:30 p.m. - Session 5, Championship Finals (42 matches)
3:30 p.m. - Parade of Champions
3:45 p.m. - Division I First Place matches begin on Mat 1
3:45 p.m. - Division II First Place matches begin on Mat 2
3:45 p.m. - Division III First Place matches begin on Mat 3

Florida High School State Schedule (12 mats, 2 days, 3 divisions)

Thursday – Scales available, 5:30-7:30 p.m.; Roll arounds, 5:30-7:30 p.m.; Coaches pick up packets, 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Friday – Session 1
8 a.m.-Weigh-ins, Coaches pick up packets (weigh-in area)
9 a.m.- Arena opens for competitors, coaches, and spectators
10 a.m- First Round competition; Second round of championship, first round of wrestlebacks and second round of wrestlebacks to follow (4 rounds)

Saturday – Session 2
8 a.m.-Weigh-ins
8:30 a.m.-Arena opens for competitors, coaches, and spectators,
9:30 a.m.- Semifinals (6 mats), Wrestlebacks (Third Round and Fourth Round), following semifinals; Fifth & Sixth Place Finals and Third & Fourth Place Finals (9 mats), following Fourth Round Wrestlebacks; (4 rounds)

Session 3
5:30 p.m.-Arena opens,(wrestlers, 5:15 p.m.);
6.00 p.m- Introduction of Trainers/Officials;
6:05 p.m-Introduction of Hall of Fame Inductees;
6:10 p.m- Introduction of Finalists;
6:20 p.m- Russ Mauger Award;
6:30 p.m- Championship Finals,. (3 mats)

Last edited by Cramer; 04-10-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 12:16 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Minnesota's schedule (3 divisions, 8 mats, 2 days - modified double elimination)

Friday, March 1, 2019: Individual Tournament
Individual Skin Check and Weigh In: Starting at 7:30 a.m. – continuous by Class (AAA, AA, A)
(Sessions 1 & 2 are the team dual meet tournament)

Session 3: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (8 mats)
9:00 a.m. Class AAA Individual First Round
Class AA Individual First Round
Class A Individual First Round
Session 3 Concludes

Session 4: 4:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (8 mats)
4:00 p.m. Class AAA Individual Championship Quarterfinals
Class AA Individual Championship Quarterfinals
Class A Individual Championship Quarterfinals
All Wrestlebacks

Saturday, March 2, 2019: Individual Tournament
Individual Skin Check and Weigh In: Starting at 8:00 a.m. – continuous by Class (AAA, AA, A)

Session 5: 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (8 mats)
9:30 a.m. All Classes Individual Consolation Quarterfinals
All Classes Individual Championship Semifinals
All Classes Individual Consolation Semifinals

Session 6: 4:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (6 mats, then 3 mats)
4:00 p.m. All Classes Individual 3rd and 5th Place
All Classes Individual Championships
Awards following matches

Last edited by BHiatt; 04-10-19 at 01:32 PM. Reason: correcting tournament format
Old 04-09-19, 03:26 PM
Freshman

Matorfact is on a distinguished road
Good column from a local writer about this
https://www.crescent-news.com/sports...a4edfe3c1.html
Old 04-09-19, 04:00 PM
All District

mlagdd is on a distinguished road
This article brings up a lot of good points and things that have been discussed on this forum. Something else came to mind as I was reading it....I am curious if coaches (teachers) will have to take a personal day/sick day to miss Monday if they don't get back until very late on Sunday night/Monday morning. Will schools take this into consideration? Not sure how it works since wrestlers are not competing on Monday.
Old 04-09-19, 05:11 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I am all for a change

but what facility that is centrally located..... is there? I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation of the four major cities. Cleveland, Dayton, columbus, toledo?
Old 04-09-19, 07:21 PM
All American

Pantherontheporch is on a distinguished road
From the WCPO (Cincy channel 9) website:

ďStarting the state tournament on Friday has been an internal discussion point for a long time,Ē said Tyler Brooks, OHSAA's wrestling administrator and director of sport management. ďStarting on Friday will mean less school and work time will be missed by those coming to the state tournament. This will also help with the state tournament staff and the Schottenstein Centerís staff working the event.

"In addition, the change will help avoid traffic and parking congestion on Thursday around the OSU campus, especially the nearby OSU medical center, which uses some of the Schottenstein Center parking lots and other nearby parking areas.Ē

Brooks also explained that the OHSAA will make modifications to the state tournament schedule so the championship matches on Sunday evening conclude in a timely manner, allowing participants and fans to return home Sunday night if they so choose.

The OHSAA wrestling state tournament was traditionally the first weekend in March, but the growing Arnold Sports Festival (March 5-8) brings in more than 200,000 people to Columbus, making hotel rooms and other accommodations much more expensive.

Inquiring minds wonder what those modifications will be . . . .
Old 04-09-19, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Minnesota is modified D-E. If you lose first round, you need the wrestler who beat you to get to the semis to continue in the tournament.
Old 04-09-19, 09:23 PM
All District

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
That article was another great example of people forgetting there are religions other than Christianity. Donít recall anyone worrying about the Jewish wrestlers on Saturday.
Old 04-10-19, 07:14 AM
All District

td2fall is on a distinguished road
what is wrong with starting wrestling season the week of nov.25th.its semi finals for football i know, but thats not many teams.regular season football is over nov.2nd.wrestling season sectionals could start the weekend of feb 14th and 15th,districts be 21st 22nd and state be feb 27,28,29.thats close to how it was before the sport moved a week ahead for football.remember football changed there format years ago and it bumped wrestling and basketball ahead and then the arnold.bumped again.wrestling keeps getting pushed further out the calender.wrestling use to start the week of thanksgiving alot of times.next it will be a spring sport.