Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-05-19, 07:53 AM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead2 View Post
Here is the section of the e mail sent to coaches and AD's: I see this hurting our sport and the State Championships. I also believe it will drive coaches, parents and wrestlers away. Who wants to get home on a Sunday night at 11:00pm? What college coaches will attend this? ALL NONSENSE!!! The OHSAA needs to fix this ASAP.

FROM THE OHSAA:

The 2020 State Individual Wrestling Tournament will move from its traditional Thursday through Saturday timeline to a Friday through Sunday timeline.

The dates of the 2020 State Individual Wrestling Tournament will be Friday, March 13, 2020 through Sunday, March 15, 2020.

There are several positives to this shift:

a) Less school time missed for student-athletes and coaches

b) Reduction in parking/traffic congestion with existing weekday Ohio State
University traffic/parking

c) Reduced scheduling conflicts for tournament staff and media members

d) Continued use of the Schottenstein Center
a. Due to facility scheduling conflicts, State Wrestling and State Girls Basketball will be on the same weekend. Moving our tournament to Friday – Sunday will help offset traffic/parking congestion from State Girls Basketball (which will run Thursday through Saturday) which will likely be taking place on Ohio State University’s campus as well.

Session 5’s Parade of Champions has traditionally begun at 5:30 PM but will now begin at 5:00 PM on Sunday.

Please help spread the word to the wrestling community so that everyone is aware come March 2020!
The "Positives" they outline are an attempt to save face and justify the move without throwing the real reason they are moving it. I'm the 1st one to criticize OHSAA when it's warranted but I truly believe their hands are tied on this one.

Do you actually think OHSAA wants to host 2 big state tournaments on the same weekend in the same location? I'm guessing that's a BIG NO. The logistics alone are a nightmare and both tournaments will suffer for it.

Here's where the blame should fall. THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. My guess is that OSU and/or the BIG 10 is unwilling to be flexible to move certain dates of events and there are scheduling conflicts with the Schott which would allow Girls Basketball or Wrestling to be on another weekend.

The State Coaches Association made a proposal to move the Wrestling tournament to last weekend of February which is more aligned with the rest of the country (41/49 states end by last weekend of February). The big hurdle there was the fact that OSU hockey is still playing during that time and from what I've been told removing the ice and putting it back down is a huge undertaking that OSU doesn't want to do. Wrestling requires more floor space than the basketball court so you can't just put the mats over the ice like they do the basketball court according to my sources.

OHSAA isn't going to blame OSU because that would likely cause a rift between the organizations and could cause problems with hosting future events there.

My suggestion would be to tweet at Tom Ryan and the Athletic Director (Gene Smith) at OSU about it and see how they respond. They're the ones that might be able to do something about it.
Old 04-05-19, 07:53 AM
All District

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinwrestler22 View Post
This would be the first ever actually scheduled state championships on a Sunday for any sport. Poor choice.
I expect their will be mass provided by the OHSAA Sunday morning at the placement matches
Not even close to the first championship scheduled on a Sunday. Baseball has been scheduled on a Sunday rarely, Ice Hockey frequently, and other sports on occasion as well.

Also, yes, less kids miss school this way. Less people wrestling on the final round on Sunday than wrestle on Thursday/Friday, which is now Friday/Saturday.
Old 04-05-19, 07:58 AM
All Region

Bigtimewrestling is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty certain that Dayton Christian, Troy Christian, and CVCA all have policies against Sunday competition. I think the OHSAA will get a lot of push back from their religious school members (public schools also but for different reasons). Would not be surprised if legal action and even some politicians get involved with this. Not a good move, nor a good look for OHSAA.
Old 04-05-19, 08:03 AM
All District

Penguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
Not even close to the first championship scheduled on a Sunday. Baseball has been scheduled on a Sunday rarely, Ice Hockey frequently, and other sports on occasion as well.

Also, yes, less kids miss school this way. Less people wrestling on the final round on Sunday than wrestle on Thursday/Friday, which is now Friday/Saturday.
I do believe those are results of postponements from weather and not originally scheduled
Old 04-05-19, 08:10 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I do believe those are results of postponements from weather and not originally scheduled
Simple googling dispels that notion quickly. 2017 ice hockey, scheduled for Sunday.

https://ohsaa.org/sports/icehockey/2...ockey-coverage

Seems the religious schools were able to show up just fine for that.
Old 04-05-19, 08:45 AM
Varsity

VB3 is on a distinguished road
Move it to Nationwide Arean or Nutter Center.
Old 04-05-19, 08:46 AM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Simple googling dispels that notion quickly. 2017 ice hockey, scheduled for Sunday.

https://ohsaa.org/sports/icehockey/2...ockey-coverage

Seems the religious schools were able to show up just fine for that.
Likely because the Blue Jackets played a home game that Friday and it could not be Friday Saturday...
Old 04-05-19, 09:06 AM
Varsity

How about a move to Nationwide? Or Nutter Center?
Old 04-05-19, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

Sweep is on a distinguished road
Cintas at Xavier! Parking would be an absolute nightmare though! Does Miami have a venue?
Old 04-05-19, 09:18 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Please don't go to Nutter.
Old 04-05-19, 09:19 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
Likely because the Blue Jackets played a home game that Friday and it could not be Friday Saturday...
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that a person said "it's never been intentionally scheduled for a Sunday," and that isn't true. The reason for the intentional scheduling vary, but it was still intentionally scheduled for a Sunday.
Old 04-05-19, 09:28 AM
Varsity

What about using Nationwide of Nutter?
Old 04-05-19, 09:33 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB3 View Post
What about using Nationwide of Nutter?
Nutter isn't big enough and Bucksman said that OHSAA looked into Nationwide, but quickly dropped it. My guess is that the rental fees were way too high.
Old 04-05-19, 09:38 AM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
Yet again wrestling gets stuck behind basketball. Why not put the girls basketball tournament friday thry Sunday? I will not attend this event now because of the sunday finals. I have church and family dinner on sunday...you lose my money ohsaa..thank god for the internet, i csn follow it
Not sure I agree with you here. I'm quite sure girls basketball is feeling sighted by being moved out of the Schott and over to historic, but smaller and antiquated, St. John Arena. This was a "no brainer" I assume since they don't even open up the upper level at the Schott for girls b-ball.
Old 04-05-19, 09:40 AM
Freshman

TequilaMockingbird is on a distinguished road
Let's focus on what's really important. People in Pennsylvania say "states" when clearly it's "state" when referring to the state tournament.
Old 04-05-19, 09:43 AM
Varsity

Simple solution is just go Friday and Saturday.
Old 04-05-19, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

keithcarter is on a distinguished road
I see a bunch of people on here blaming Ohio State. Well even if it is their fault it is THEIR facility. I am sure they enjoy the revenue that the state tournament provides but last time i checked Ohio State was not hurting for Dollars.

I think the easiest solution is to change how the finals are ran. It would save a tremendous amount of time to just simply do the awards at the end. Run the matches straight through and do all awards at the end. Bring the awards podiums up on the mats and do it all at once. Takes the finals from 5 hours to 2-2.5 hours. Those that want to stay for awards can. I know we should give the placers their due and i agree but we have all been there, how many actually stay for the last set of awards.

The finals shouldn't take any longer than the time to run a dual. Then if they start at 6 they are over by 8:30. not a huge difference but when its a drive home at night every hour matters.
Old 04-05-19, 09:52 AM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
I suggest at least do 7 matches then awards...then do the last 7 matches.
Old 04-05-19, 09:52 AM
All District

Penguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post

technically you are right, but that was only 2017, 2 teams, started at 2 pm and ended by 4 pm and hockey has one division ( found by simple google)

I should rephrase it.... Wrestling is the only multi divisional state championships to be scheduled on a Sunday.

This year hockey championship was a Friday/Saturday and they seem to play off campus anyhow, not really effected by OSU

Bottom line is the state wrestling championships effect hundreds of athletes, coaches team members in 3 divisions and the state tournament makes more money than hockey and girls basketball however girls hoops does make more money at the sectionals and districts, regional level.

2017 is here
. https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Abou...inancial17.pdf pg 46

Also, don't use title 9 on me because wrestling had Olivia Shore at the state championships

wrestling also draws more fans than girls hoops state weekend and way more than hockey
Old 04-05-19, 10:11 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
technically you are right, but that was only 2017, 2 teams, started at 2 pm and ended by 4 pm and hockey has one division ( found by simple google)

I should rephrase it.... Wrestling is the only multi divisional state championships to be scheduled on a Sunday.

This year hockey championship was a Friday/Saturday and they seem to play off campus anyhow, not really effected by OSU

Bottom line is the state wrestling championships effect hundreds of athletes, coaches team members in 3 divisions and the state tournament makes more money than hockey and girls basketball however girls hoops does make more money at the sectionals and districts, regional level.

2017 is here
. https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Abou...inancial17.pdf pg 46

Also, don't use title 9 on me because wrestling had Olivia Shore at the state championships

wrestling also draws more fans than girls hoops state weekend and way more than hockey
Thanks for clarifying, but you're still wrong. Multi divisional baseball championships also on a Sunday.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/n...ent-2143698057
Old 04-05-19, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcarter View Post
I see a bunch of people on here blaming Ohio State. Well even if it is their fault it is THEIR facility. I am sure they enjoy the revenue that the state tournament provides but last time i checked Ohio State was not hurting for Dollars.

I think the easiest solution is to change how the finals are ran. It would save a tremendous amount of time to just simply do the awards at the end. Run the matches straight through and do all awards at the end. Bring the awards podiums up on the mats and do it all at once. Takes the finals from 5 hours to 2-2.5 hours. Those that want to stay for awards can. I know we should give the placers their due and i agree but we have all been there, how many actually stay for the last set of awards.

The finals shouldn't take any longer than the time to run a dual. Then if they start at 6 they are over by 8:30. not a huge difference but when its a drive home at night every hour matters.
Keith,
I agree with what you wrote concerning the finals but how does this solve the problem of the tournament being held on a Sunday? This seems to be what people are in a lather over. The time frame you are referring to is a completely different issue.
As for the people who are suggesting that it can be done in two days, they are not thinking rationally. Three days can not be squeezed into two days because of the amount of work involved. The first two days are already very full and the third day completes the wrestle backs in the early session before the finals at night. That is still a LOT of wrestling on the third day.
I would have to think that the OHSAA gets a "best friends" discount at OSU. They obviously would prefer to keep that going. Combine this with the fact that it is in the same city as the OHSAA is based and they have a reason to not want to move.
However, is this the best thing for the participants? I would suggest not. As many people have already expressed, the season is too long now and this moves it into mid March.
Once again, my opinions mean little to nothing but I think this is a really bad idea.
Old 04-05-19, 10:27 AM
Freshman

penguinwrestler22 is on a distinguished road
I guess I should amend again.. only one on OSU campus. I stand corrected. Probably wrong there as well. I would be curious as to the baseball start times and I would assume many schools are done by then.
It seems the pitch count effected that decision. One thing for sure is a 5 pm start time for wrestling on Sunday will bring attendance down and with the finals for $10 on broadcast many will decide to stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-19, 10:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcarter View Post
True. If this date move fails and fails miserably, then both sides will "lose". OSU will get their rental fee money no matter what, but lose terribly on concessions. OHSAA loses all around. I don't think either side wants that. Who knows, maybe OSU is happy enough with the fee?
Old 04-05-19, 10:37 AM
Varsity

Just an idea, but what if the 3 divisions where in 3 different venues? A state champ is still a state champ even if they win it at Ohio Northern vs OSU. Thoughts?
Old 04-05-19, 10:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB3 View Post
Just an idea, but what if the 3 divisions where in 3 different venues? A state champ is still a state champ even if they win it at Ohio Northern vs OSU. Thoughts?
No. We don't want this to be like the Arkansas state tournament.
Old 04-05-19, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
No. We don't want this to be like the Arkansas state tournament.
Hey let's not pick on Arkansas, they can't help it.
BTW, the most often heard phrase in Arkansas is "Thank God we aren't Mississippi".
Old 04-05-19, 11:03 AM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
There are other venues. What about the Coliseum at the fairgrounds?
Old 04-05-19, 11:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, but you're still wrong. Multi divisional baseball championships also on a Sunday.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/n...ent-2143698057
The OHSAA Website has Baseball as Thursday Friday Saturday June 6-8.

So either this report is wrong or the OHSAA Website is wrong
Old 04-05-19, 11:16 AM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
I contacted OHSAA and I got a honest, straightforward response.

Move was OSU driven and input not received from coaches because it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It state tournament is to stay in current format (10 mats), Schott is only place to do it and the 2nd weekend in March is the only time.
Old 04-05-19, 11:22 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
Keith,
I agree with what you wrote concerning the finals but how does this solve the problem of the tournament being held on a Sunday? This seems to be what people are in a lather over. The time frame you are referring to is a completely different issue.
As for the people who are suggesting that it can be done in two days, they are not thinking rationally. Three days can not be squeezed into two days because of the amount of work involved. The first two days are already very full and the third day completes the wrestle backs in the early session before the finals at night. That is still a LOT of wrestling on the third day.
I would have to think that the OHSAA gets a "best friends" discount at OSU. They obviously would prefer to keep that going. Combine this with the fact that it is in the same city as the OHSAA is based and they have a reason to not want to move.
However, is this the best thing for the participants? I would suggest not. As many people have already expressed, the season is too long now and this moves it into mid March.
Once again, my opinions mean little to nothing but I think this is a really bad idea.
The first day is not really all that full. They could start earlier. The mats are already set up and ready to go. Start weigh ins at 9-10, Wrestling begins at Noon as opposed to 3:00. Could easily wrestle Champ, Consi, Quarters (3 total rounds) in that first day and end within or close to the same timeframe.

For example, as it stands right now, Division 1 weighs in at 11:45 (but it starts earlier) then wrestling starts at 5:45...