Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-04-19, 04:02 PM
Varsity

buckfan is on a distinguished road
2020 state tournament moved to Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Has anyone seen the dates for next years state tournament? They have moved it to Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-19, 04:04 PM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
What the everloving f***!?!?!?!
Old 04-04-19, 04:11 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Most everyone seems to think the season is too long now so let's extend it farther AND make it a Sunday night finish.

Looks like it might not be the last time either.
https://ohsaa.org/calendar/FutureDates

With a 5 hour finals, there won't be many people in school or at work on Monday.
Old 04-04-19, 04:29 PM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
Can’t wait till get home at midnight on Sunday!!!!!
Old 04-04-19, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
I really hope they shorten the break between sessions 4 and 5. Although they do wrestle the Dual Finals at 7:30 on a Sunday, so who knows...
Old 04-04-19, 04:51 PM
Junior Varsity

Spike155 is on a distinguished road
Are those dates etched in stone? I always fly in from out of state. This would completely screw that up!
Old 04-04-19, 04:57 PM
All Ohio

Sweep is on a distinguished road
Absolutely stupid. Shorten season a week and have the state tournament the week prior.
Old 04-04-19, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
that will be nice

for attendance a sunday 5 pm final! lol yea i wont be there unless i have one of the kids i coach there. they should just go to a 2 day tournament.
Old 04-04-19, 05:05 PM
All Ohio

the more i think

about it just totally sucks
Old 04-04-19, 05:13 PM
All World

#ConspiracyTheory for all you “I ain’t trying to watch Sunday and be back to work Monday, and I’m darn sure not getting a hotel room for another night” crowd...

They introduced live streaming for the finals last year and then switched the dates for the following year. Coincidence??
Old 04-04-19, 05:34 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Will they be selling Friday/Saturday packages? Might be really popular.
Old 04-04-19, 05:51 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
OHSAA showing, yet again, very poor judgement, in making this decision.

I sent a reply email to Mr. Brooks voicing my displeasure.
Old 04-04-19, 05:51 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Girls BB - State
2019/2020; 3/12-3/14
2020/2021; 3/11-3/13

2021/2022; 3/10-3/12

Boys Wrestling - State
2019/2020; 3/13-3/15
2020/2021; 3/11* (*Denotes 3-day event to begin no sooner than specified date.)
2021/2022; 3/10*(*Denotes 3-day event to begin no sooner than specified date.)
Old 04-04-19, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
The one positive I can come up with for this change is not having to miss school/work on Thursday.

However, from a media perspective having a Sunday evening program is going to be an even harder "cover" than the dual team event. The dual team event is normally done by 9:30 with very limited follow necessary, and in many cases, the final might not be a big part of the story.

On the other hand, without a program change in terms of sessions, you're talking about a program that's ending 10:00 if not later and the finals being a key part of the coverage. Sunday evening press deadlines are also earlier in terms of getting a state finals story into the Monday morning newspaper (yes, those things still exist).
Old 04-04-19, 06:55 PM
All District

bigredcoach is on a distinguished road
I emailed Brooks and voiced my concern. Some districts have policies that no events on Sunday due to religion. I have families in my district that do not allow their kids to do anything on Sunday due to religion. Ohsaa has shown their true colors again! Common sense is lacking.
Old 04-04-19, 07:16 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Keeping wrestling and girls BB separated on their most attended days perhaps? First day and final.
Old 04-04-19, 07:48 PM
All Ohio

it will be great

when a kid makes the states finals and his mom tells him he cant wrestle cause its sunday! Will be a great story for the media.
Old 04-04-19, 07:54 PM
All Region

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
2020 OHSAA Wrestling Finals To Be Held On Sunday...Lights Up Twitter
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...hts-up-twitter
Old 04-04-19, 08:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
On the other hand, without a program change in terms of sessions, you're talking about a program that's ending 10:00 if not later and the finals being a key part of the coverage. Sunday evening press deadlines are also earlier in terms of getting a state finals story into the Monday morning newspaper (yes, those things still exist).
This has to change. There is no way it will stay the same. As set in his ways, Dr. Mauer can't run it the same way. That conversation had to have taken place. If not, shame on them. If he is unwilling, then it's time to go. It'll be real slap in the face to have a finals session with less people seated than what sticks around after the last awards break.

They will have to make Friday and Saturday an all day event. Sunday finals only starting before noon. That's about the only way to salvage this mess while keeping as close as possible to previous years.
Old 04-04-19, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
They will have to make Friday and Saturday an all day event. Sunday finals only starting before noon. .
I agree with most all of what you wrote but the first two days are already VERY long for the people who have to work the event. Making them longer would be awful.
Old 04-04-19, 09:02 PM
Freshman

penguinwrestler22 is on a distinguished road
This would be the first ever actually scheduled state championships on a Sunday for any sport. Poor choice.
I expect their will be mass provided by the OHSAA Sunday morning at the placement matches

Iím surprised they didnít just say Thursday is not an option in Columbus so pair up with your opponent and wrestle at a neutral
Location sort of like they do for the 6th match district rule.
Old 04-04-19, 09:19 PM
All World

I hope 16 people buy tickets for the 2020 OHSAA Individual State Tournament.
Old 04-05-19, 04:15 AM
Junior Varsity

NCwrestlingmom is on a distinguished road
Maybe they are going to a format similar to OAC? They weigh in Friday night I beliveve and wrestle all day Saturday and Sunday. If they weighed in Thursday evening with packet pickup they could wrestle all day Friday/Saturday and have finals Sunday at noon. And while I understand about long days for the workers, it can’t be any worse than larger tournaments like Brecksville or Lima Thunderbird. Those are 2 of the most efficient tournaments we’ve ever gone to.
Old 04-05-19, 05:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
I agree with most all of what you wrote but the first two days are already VERY long for the people who have to work the event. Making them longer would be awful.
Fully understand. Sympathize as I've worked tables for a while at a long event. In reality, my idea wouldn't make more work, just shifts the workload. It's not ideal, but neither is this idea. To keep this tournament favorable and profitable, OHSAA has to make fan friendly accommodations for the bone headed situation they've just made. Keeping the exact schedule is more than a detriment, I think it would be catastrophic.

The only way I'm in favor of the same schedule, is if it's catastrophic and forces them to change back to Thursday. It sounds like OHSAA has had its hand forced by OSU and it doesn't matter to OSU as long as they are paid. Ultimately it's about the kids and don't want to see their experience change more than it has to, even for one year. Tough changes will be necessary to keep the kid's best interest in mind.
Old 04-05-19, 06:04 AM
Varsity

VB3 is on a distinguished road
We had a 2nd place at 220 this year. After awards,shower and fast food we got back home at 1:30. He wrestled 4 matches in 3 days. The down time was awful.
The worse thing about wrestling is the time spent not wrestling. Wrestlers want more matches in less time. And so do parents and fans. The 12 hour days in a packed, hot gym, spending $20 eating pizza and candy is killing the sport. Weigh ins, skin check, wait wait wait. Weigh outs. Skin checks. So much sitting around. Its the only sport where parents leave when there kid is done. And some kids leave with them. Its simple, speed it up and get it done. Get more kids out, fill more seats with fans.
This is the instant gratification generation.
State needs be a two day event. Wrestle, move to an award/media room. Get medal, smile for mom, do an interview and go home. Thats what we all want and thats what wrestling needs. Simplicity!
Old 04-05-19, 06:19 AM
All Ohio

jarhead2 is on a distinguished road
Here is the section of the e mail sent to coaches and AD's: I see this hurting our sport and the State Championships. I also believe it will drive coaches, parents and wrestlers away. Who wants to get home on a Sunday night at 11:00pm? What college coaches will attend this? ALL NONSENSE!!! The OHSAA needs to fix this ASAP.

FROM THE OHSAA:

The 2020 State Individual Wrestling Tournament will move from its traditional Thursday through Saturday timeline to a Friday through Sunday timeline.

The dates of the 2020 State Individual Wrestling Tournament will be Friday, March 13, 2020 through Sunday, March 15, 2020.

There are several positives to this shift:

a) Less school time missed for student-athletes and coaches

b) Reduction in parking/traffic congestion with existing weekday Ohio State
University traffic/parking

c) Reduced scheduling conflicts for tournament staff and media members

d) Continued use of the Schottenstein Center
a. Due to facility scheduling conflicts, State Wrestling and State Girls Basketball will be on the same weekend. Moving our tournament to Friday Ė Sunday will help offset traffic/parking congestion from State Girls Basketball (which will run Thursday through Saturday) which will likely be taking place on Ohio State Universityís campus as well.

Session 5ís Parade of Champions has traditionally begun at 5:30 PM but will now begin at 5:00 PM on Sunday.

Please help spread the word to the wrestling community so that everyone is aware come March 2020!
Old 04-05-19, 06:58 AM
All District

4YourHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
The one positive I can come up with for this change is not having to miss school/work on Thursday.

However, from a media perspective having a Sunday evening program is going to be an even harder "cover" than the dual team event. The dual team event is normally done by 9:30 with very limited follow necessary, and in many cases, the final might not be a big part of the story.

No offense, but the wrestling world could care less about Media Issues. This is a horrible move!
Old 04-05-19, 07:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead2 View Post

a) Less school time missed for student-athletes and coaches

c) Reduced scheduling conflicts for tournament staff and media members

d) Continued use of the Schottenstein Center

Session 5’s Parade of Champions has traditionally begun at 5:30 PM but will now begin at 5:00 PM on Sunday.
The perceived "advantages" listed above make me laugh.
a) Simply not true. Instead of missing school on Thursday, it will be Monday instead. Does anyone really think after arriving home at midnight or 1 am, that anyone is going to be at school or work?
b) This is even more absurd. Three days is three days. People who work the event do so around their schedules.
d) Let be realistic, this is the driving force. OSU gets to call the "shots" and the OHSAA is willing to dance to their tune. In the meantime, wrestlers and their fans lose out.
d) WOW!!! So they finish at 10 pm instead of 10:30. What a deal!

BTW, I am not aiming this at Jarhead but rather at the list sent to coaches.
Old 04-05-19, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Serious question...

Are there any schools that are prevented from participating on Sundays? There has to be some out there...?
Old 04-05-19, 07:53 AM
Freshman

Downtime is on a distinguished road
Yet again wrestling gets stuck behind basketball. Why not put the girls basketball tournament friday thry Sunday? I will not attend this event now because of the sunday finals. I have church and family dinner on sunday...you lose my money ohsaa..thank god for the internet, i csn follow it