Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #631  
Old 03-10-19, 02:18 PM
BHiatt BHiatt is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-02-05
Posts: 1,323
BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Question: There was a match this weekend where an illegal figure 4 around the body while running a power half was called. The figure 4 was called immediately upon application. The wrestler who had the figure 4 applied to him then was holding his shoulder. The referee initially signaled injury time but then changed it to recovery time. The wrestler couldn’t recover because his shoulder was hurt and he won the match. My question is does an injury to a body part that was not affected by an illegal hold, should that be considered recovery time or injury time?
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 03-10-19, 02:21 PM
StillNeutral StillNeutral is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-16-16
Posts: 15
StillNeutral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio guy View Post
Just curious but what would the call be for a wrestler intentionally grabbing another wrestler by the crotch while trying not to get pinned? I saw it Friday in the state tournament and the ref didn't see it the wrestle did get pinned as it happens so it didn't affect the outcome.
so this wasn't an act of the bottom man trying to push the leg away and the hand goes into the crotch during action and is unintentional? was this from your view, and obvious 5 on 2
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 03-10-19, 02:22 PM
eyes r burning eyes r burning is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-08-12
Posts: 1,374
eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntopin View Post
Can I get an unbiased honest opinion on 106lb Fenton vs Skinner state semifinal match? I'm hoping someone with referee experience/knowledge can share there thoughts on the match. There is a couple of calls/non-calls that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. The 1st is the stall call with 7 seconds left in the 2nd period. The second one is in the 3rd period between the 635 and 655 mark. The ref raises his hand 3/4 of the way to award a takedown but no pts were given. Thoughts and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The match can be viewed on GOhioCast on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/zzsmiller
Perfectly officiated. The last scramble was the closest of the two, but there wasn't definite restraint within reaction time on either scramble.
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 03-10-19, 03:39 PM
350zjk 350zjk is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-09-10
Posts: 423
350zjk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oubobcat1991 View Post
Go ahead, cast the first stone!

My second stone (observation) would be that you were so consumed with desire to win that you ignored some of the more important points of scholastic competition. Those, in addition to being a good role model for teens, would include sportsmanship and class. They can actually still exist in a loss.
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 03-10-19, 05:52 PM
StillNeutral StillNeutral is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-16-16
Posts: 15
StillNeutral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
Question: There was a match this weekend where an illegal figure 4 around the body while running a power half was called. The figure 4 was called immediately upon application. The wrestler who had the figure 4 applied to him then was holding his shoulder. The referee initially signaled injury time but then changed it to recovery time. The wrestler couldn’t recover because his shoulder was hurt and he won the match. My question is does an injury to a body part that was not affected by an illegal hold, should that be considered recovery time or injury time?
Interesting question never came across that scenario, tough to answer I'd have to take this one to my board, or even a state rules interpretor
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 03-10-19, 07:49 PM
jfide650 jfide650 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-03-18
Location: Lorain
Posts: 14
jfide650 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillNeutral View Post
Interesting question never came across that scenario, tough to answer I'd have to take this one to my board, or even a state rules interpretor
If the wrestler is injured by an illegal hold/maneuver, recovery time will be used.
If the injury is not caused by an illegal hold/maneuver, injury time is used.
StillNeutral, if you are a ref, your answer can be found in the Wrestling Case Book
And Manual 8.2.2 situation D. The scenario is of a wrestler having an illegal hold/maneuver applied to them and the injury is not the result of an illegal hold/maneuver. Hopefully that saves you from going to the board or state rules interpreter.
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 03-10-19, 09:25 PM
BHiatt BHiatt is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-02-05
Posts: 1,323
BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfide650 View Post
If the wrestler is injured by an illegal hold/maneuver, recovery time will be used.
If the injury is not caused by an illegal hold/maneuver, injury time is used.
StillNeutral, if you are a ref, your answer can be found in the Wrestling Case Book
And Manual 8.2.2 situation D. The scenario is of a wrestler having an illegal hold/maneuver applied to them and the injury is not the result of an illegal hold/maneuver. Hopefully that saves you from going to the board or state rules interpreter.
Thanks for this jfide650. So per the rule, the ref thought the figure 4 around the body caused the shoulder injury. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 03-10-19, 10:31 PM
suplex21 suplex21 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-11-06
Posts: 774
suplex21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
Thanks for this jfide650. So per the rule, the ref thought the figure 4 around the body caused the shoulder injury. Very interesting.
I did not see it, so I could be off and I have no clue who was involved.
But playing devils advocate...could the use of a figure 4, provide more stability and in turn torque to the shoulder. So even though it is to a diff part of the body, could it be that the illegal hold played a role (no matter how small) so the ref called recovery time.
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 03-11-19, 06:04 AM
BHiatt BHiatt is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-02-05
Posts: 1,323
BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex21 View Post
I did not see it, so I could be off and I have no clue who was involved.
But playing devils advocate...could the use of a figure 4, provide more stability and in turn torque to the shoulder. So even though it is to a diff part of the body, could it be that the illegal hold played a role (no matter how small) so the ref called recovery time.
Seems about as likely as the Bengals winning a Super Bowl in 2020.
Reply With Quote
  #640  
Old 03-11-19, 10:17 AM
Ohio guy Ohio guy is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 12-14-18
Posts: 16
Ohio guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
You ask about grabbing the crotch but that could mean something other than what I would guess you are meaning.
Depending on how the the official viewed it, it could/should be considered as illegal (any move which involves unnecessary force applied to an opponent), UNR (pretty obvious), or flagrant misconduct.
If I saw it happen, I would lean toward the later. There is simply no excuse for that.
Thanks that's pretty much what I figured and yes I did mean exactly what you're thinking the kid on bottom had a pretty firm grip and it lasted a good 5 seconds. Like I said it didn't affect the outcome or anything I was just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #641  
Old 03-11-19, 12:49 PM
theshark130 theshark130 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 02-17-11
Posts: 6
theshark130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex21 View Post
I did not see it, so I could be off and I have no clue who was involved.
But playing devils advocate...could the use of a figure 4, provide more stability and in turn torque to the shoulder. So even though it is to a diff part of the body, could it be that the illegal hold played a role (no matter how small) so the ref called recovery time.
This was my thought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz