Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-03-19, 05:01 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raider2009 View Post
I could easily see in 10 years there only being two boys divisions and then one girl division.
I hope it doesn't take OHSAA 10 years to implement a girls division, We are already behind.
Old 04-03-19, 06:39 PM
Freshman

Harper34 is on a distinguished road
1 private school division and 2 public school divisions.
Old 04-03-19, 06:42 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
In case you did not know, the OHSAA uses EMIS numbers for enrollment, which are the numbers that schools submit to the Ohio Department of Education in late October (i.e. used for state $$). This past fall, a count was taken based on the 9th/10th/11th numbers -- the previous enrollment cycle involved the 9th/10th/11th two years ago (kids now in 11th/12th/graduated out a year)
Old 04-03-19, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
I like it the way it is
Old 04-04-19, 06:13 AM
Freshman

EastsideCat is on a distinguished road
Public vs. Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucksman View Post
Wrestling is considered an individual sport, thus it does not have the competitive balance rule. Apparently open enrollment does not have anything to do with performance haha. I have always thought the schools which only draw from THEIR communities should be put into a seperate division/ category. Building within your community should mean something, I think that is what high school sports were supposed to be.

OHSAA should have competitive balance in wrestling, bottom line.
That is just not how it works. did Felipe, DT, and all those Graham wrestlers all come from St. Paris. Public schools find ways to bring in outside talent too. Isnt the point of it all "to be the man you have to beat the man".

I forgot St. Paris is a parochial school.

Last edited by EastsideCat; 04-04-19 at 06:14 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 04-04-19, 07:18 AM
All District

pinem07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
In case you did not know, the OHSAA uses EMIS numbers for enrollment, which are the numbers that schools submit to the Ohio Department of Education in late October (i.e. used for state $$). This past fall, a count was taken based on the 9th/10th/11th numbers -- the previous enrollment cycle involved the 9th/10th/11th two years ago (kids now in 11th/12th/graduated out a year)

!!!!
Old 04-04-19, 12:02 PM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
I would be ok with 2 boy divisions and 1 girl division (10 weights or so). Serious question here (this could be the fact that I'm not aware of), why aren't there any girls tournaments on Sundays? For example: lets say School A is hosting your typical tournament on a Saturday in January, why not on Sunday have an open tournament for girls of all ages to wrestle each other? Is it because OHSAA has the rule about wrestling for clubs in season? I'm gonna sound like a broken record but as a state we should start integrating a girls division in... Hell if we keep 3 and add the girls then we could easily do D1 and D2 together then D3 and the Girls. I know I'm not the only one to think this but having the 3 wrestle at once takes forever (believe from start to finish this year was 5 hours).
Old 04-04-19, 12:05 PM
All Region

Lucksman is an unknown quantity at this point
Technically, girls are aloud to compete on boys teams, therefore all girls should be counted in the enrollment figures as well. That would put a wrinkle in things. Perhaps St. Eds would be D2...... Or, any other all boys schools
Old 04-04-19, 01:58 PM
All Region

350zjk is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Lucksman;7292104]Technically, girls are aloud to compete on boys teams, therefore all girls should be counted in the enrollment figures as well. That would put a wrinkle in things.

That is a very interesting point. I wonder if that could lead to a legislative issue within the ohsaa.
Old 04-04-19, 06:28 PM
All District

[QUOTE=350zjk;7292172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucksman View Post
Technically, girls are aloud to compete on boys teams, therefore all girls should be counted in the enrollment figures as well. That would put a wrinkle in things.

That is a very interesting point. I wonder if that could lead to a legislative issue within the ohsaa.
Girls can play football as well. Kenston, who won a state title in d3, had a female kicker on their team.
Old 04-04-19, 08:26 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlfan View Post
wlpdrpat
now imagine the d3 teams that have ZERO asst. coaches. The resources just aren't there like they are with bigger schools. There are plenty of them with zero too!!
Two years ago, I had a kid wrestle a match at the state tournament WITHOUTt a coach in his corner. It was the first round and fortunately, as a 4, he pinned a district champ. It was pretty cool and I wish I wasn't on a different mat and could have seen it.
Or the D2 schools with zero assistant coaches
Old 04-05-19, 01:45 PM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
I'm so sick of the private vs public. So stupid to keep that discussion alive. Out of the top 10 teams in D1 this year, only 2 (St. Ed's & LaSalle) were private. I would like to see these teams all go back to the C.I.T
Old 04-05-19, 03:04 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sportcoach View Post
I'm so sick of the private vs public. So stupid to keep that discussion alive. Out of the top 10 teams in D1 this year, only 2 (St. Ed's & LaSalle) were private. I would like to see these teams all go back to the C.I.T

But they went 1 and 2 in D1...and a parochial school won D2.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-19, 03:08 PM
All World

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Out of the top 10 teams in D1 this year, only 2 (St. Ed's & LaSalle) were private. I would like to see these teams all go back to the C.I.T

No reason for either to attend the C.I.T nothing to gain for either one. Sorry just the truth of the matter.
Old 04-11-19, 12:44 AM
All District

Power house is on a distinguished road
When will the state release there final numbers? And when will we know what schools dropped or moved up?
Old 04-11-19, 07:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power house View Post
When will the state release there final numbers? And when will we know what schools dropped or moved up?
OHSAA released the fall sports division breakdown April 6 two years ago. That should give us an idea of what will happen for wrestling. Winter sports breakdown was released the first week of June two years ago.
Old 04-11-19, 09:08 AM
All District

Power house is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinem07 View Post
OHSAA released the fall sports division breakdown April 6 two years ago. That should give us an idea of what will happen for wrestling. Winter sports breakdown was released the first week of June two years ago.
Ok thanks. Do u know when the schools release their numbers?
Old 04-11-19, 12:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power house View Post
Ok thanks. Do u know when the schools release their numbers?
https://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

These were released earlier this year. The fall sports division breakdown is being released this afternoon.
Old 04-11-19, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
OHSAA posted FINALIZED enrollments on March 22nd.

Divisions for fall sports NOT impacted by competitive balance were approved today. Those impacted by competitive balance (football, girls volleyball, boys/girls soccer) will be released in May or June.