Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-06-18, 08:14 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
What movies did you watch in November 2018

Vamp2syd is a horror movie junkie, he often comes across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. He will share his thoughts of the ones that he sees this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

He will edit in his horror views here with his rating scale on how he liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko (Citizen Kane)
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-18, 08:15 AM
All World

I hope you do not mind the help my friend.
Old 11-06-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
great thread opening.
Old 11-06-18, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
wow, are we in November already... sorry guys as I was not currently calibrated to this reality.... but currently watching Mad Max

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

Old 11-10-18, 07:01 PM
All World

Spook Chasers (1957) - One of the last Bowery Boys movies and one of the few without the Slip Mahonny character, but Satch is very funny in this film and makes up for his partner's absence.

4/8

Last edited by Purplemojo; 11-11-18 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 07:34 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Rocky I-V: 34/40 otherwise known as "one too many Rocky's." -7 for the last one, though how spooky the scenes with the boxer and the kid and Rocky talking how the kid had it so great, he grew up with priviledge? Kid dead mid-30s drugs, boxer dead AIDs.

-4 for the too long boxing ring solliloquies that near ruin good movies.

+5 for one of the best acting jobs in any movies ever, one even playing a ghost, by Burgess Merideth.
Old 11-11-18, 10:25 AM
All World

I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and enjoyed it very much. I like a irreverent superhero movie that parodys itself. The sound track is, to borrow a phrase, an "Awesome Mix".

6/8
Old 11-11-18, 10:36 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Spook Chasers (1957) - On of the last Bowery Boys movies and one of the few without the Slip Mahonny character, but Satch is very funny in this film and makes up for his partner's absence.

4/8
I saw a few minutes of another of their movies recently where they were bug exterminators, I believe. Always liked Satch, not so much Mahonny. (The way he wore his hat was a bit too much for me, for one thing).

On this Veteran's Day, I watched The Guns of Navarone -again - a 1961 WWII film starring Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn. Those were some !@#$ big guns! 6/8
Old 11-11-18, 11:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
On this Veteran's Day, I watched The Guns of Navarone -again - a 1961 WWII film starring Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn. Those were some !@#$ big guns! 6/8
Oh yes, one of the greats. I too watched a classic WWII movie to commemorate Veteran's Day: Bridge on the River Kwai (1957). Great film all the way around. It must be over the tenth time I have watched it and it never gets old.

7/8
Old 11-12-18, 07:10 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Oh, yes. BOTRK is a great one. I can hear the whistling now (and just whistled it)!

If TCM shows it again, I hope to catch it. Possible as I have started checking the schedule now rather than just taking a chance a good film is on/starting. And, the light comes on!
Old 11-12-18, 07:47 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Daddy's Home 2 (5/8)- entertaining Christmas movie Ferrell, Wahlberg, Gibson and lithgow work well together. I actually thought it was better than the first.

Blue Chips (5/8)- I know I'm in the minority, but I've always liked this movie. I think Nolte is great in this movie, one of his better movies.

Over the Top (3/8)- not Stallone's best work, kind of a rocky knockoff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-18, 01:23 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The Girl in the Spider's Web - 3/8

Absolute garbage compared to TGWTDT. This could have been such a good series if they would have kept going with Fincher and the original cast. But this one will probably end it for good. Disappointing
Old 11-14-18, 03:18 PM
All World

Raisin in the Sun (1961) - Outstanding film about a Black family striving to achieve the American dream against bigotry and segregation. Sidney Poitier gives a great performance.

7/8
Old 11-14-18, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Diggstown for about the tenth time. 8 / 10.
Old 11-14-18, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Raisin in the Sun (1961) - Outstanding film about a Black family striving to achieve the American dream against bigotry and segregation. Sidney Poitier gives a great performance.

7/8

Poitier was laughable. Talks down the college boy while never sounding like anything but a college boy, in any movie. He wasn't acting. He was playing himself. He's Poitier, the acceptable looking black dude with a good personality. Ivan Dixon is the one that killed it. Great performance by Dixon.
Old 11-14-18, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Outlaw King 5.5/10
Old 11-14-18, 05:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Poitier was laughable. Talks down the college boy while never sounding like anything but a college boy, in any movie. He wasn't acting. He was playing himself. He's Poitier, the acceptable looking black dude with a good personality. Ivan Dixon is the one that killed it. Great performance by Dixon.
I agree that Dixon does a great job as well as a Nigerian medical student, but I believe your criticism of Poitier is off base. Sounding like a "college boy"? Well he was playing a man who was employed as a chauffeur for a wealthy white man. How else would he talk? Poitier reprised the role he played on stage so he was very familiar with the role.
Old 11-14-18, 05:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Outlaw King 5.5/10
Trailer looked good. Kind of a sequel to Braveheart (1995) as Robert the Bruce is basically taking up Wallace's torch at the end of that film.
Old 11-14-18, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree that Dixon does a great job as well as a Nigerian medical student, but I believe your criticism of Poitier is off base. Sounding like a "college boy"? Well he was playing a man who was employed as a chauffeur for a wealthy white man. How else would he talk? Poitier reprised the role he played on stage so he was very familiar with the role.
He'd more likely talk and sound like Sidney Poitier the poor kid from the Bahamas than like Sidney Poitier the actor socializing at the Oscars.
Old 11-15-18, 11:23 AM
All World

Quote:
He'd more likely talk and sound like Sidney Poitier the poor kid from the Bahamas than like Sidney Poitier the actor socializing at the Oscars.
Right, because all Chicago Blacks in the early 60's whose parents were poor sharecroppers from the American South, who moved North during WWII in order to find good jobs all sound like they were born and raised in the Bahamas.
Old 11-15-18, 11:30 AM
All World

The Longest Day (1962) - It was interesting watching this again after seeing Dunkirk (2017) last year. Both attempted to show a battle from the different perspective of air, sea and land. They both accomplished this by quick cuts to the various venues, but the older film does it while staying in a linear narrative while the latter film moved forward and back in time to cover the entire story. It made me appreciate the older firm more in having done such as good job with the limitations placed on it.

7/8
Old 11-15-18, 11:33 AM
All Region

The Big Lebwoski 8/8 One of my favorite movies, a cult classic. I hadn't seen it in a few years and saw it was added to Hulu. Laughed just as hard as the first 20 times I've watched. Bridges and Goodman are outstanding together.
Old 11-15-18, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Right, because all Chicago Blacks in the early 60's whose parents were poor sharecroppers from the American South, who moved North during WWII in order to find good jobs all sound like they were born and raised in the Bahamas.

No, they sounded more like people whose parents were poor sharecroppers from the American South or even for that matter, people born and raised in the Bahamas, than they did Sidney Poitier in every movie ever. He "chewed" scenery. BTW: I'm hardly unique in that evaluation. It's not recognized in general as a good performance or a good production for several reasons, not the least was a power play between Poitier and one of the other actors. Hence, chewing scenery.

Though that doesn't mean I think that YOU shouldn't enjoy it. For me, it was eye-rolling, whereas Dixon held form. Poiteir was the acceptable black man. Again, not a unique perspective. Dixon played cultural roles realistically and without compromise.
Old 11-15-18, 02:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Though that doesn't mean I think that YOU shouldn't enjoy it. For me, it was eye-rolling, whereas Dixon held form. Poiteir was the acceptable black man. Again, not a unique perspective. Dixon played cultural roles realistically and without compromise.
I don't believe playing a lower middle class Midwestern man, employed by wealthy whites and educated in a Chicago public school system back when they still expected students to speak standard English is a "cultural role". But we can agree to disagree. I am interested in reading some contemporary reviews to see if they shared your criticism.

Anyway, I did watch Alexander Nevski (1938) last night. Not my favorite Eisenstein film, but a great film none the less. I have watched it once before but it is well worth repeat viewing.

7/8
Old 11-15-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Hondo

7/8

Often underrated John Wayne film is one of my favorite westerns. If you pay attention you can see a cameo by the actor who played Dean Wormer in Animal House!
Old 11-15-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Fair Game 5/8 Mostly interested because I sat at his dinner table with Jack Wilson. Granted, it was a LARGE table but still. Always thought Libby should have hung hard for exposing an agent. Movie does a good job of describing him and Wilson as self-interested azzes. Ultimately, so is Plame kind of azzy so it's hard to care too much about them. But the idea of a political (or the husband) exposing a US agent? Trump's pardon doesn't go over well with me.
Old 11-16-18, 02:02 PM
All World

The Gazebo (1959) - Glenn Ford and Debbie Reynolds were the stars but the movie was stolen by the great character actors that populated the film, including Carl Reiner and John McGiver playing against type as a earthy contractor.

I thought the film was going to be a suspense murder mystery ala Hitchcock (who is referenced several times and is nominally a participant in a phone call during the film) but it turned out to be a very funny comedy.

5/8
Old 11-18-18, 10:41 AM
All Region

Halloween (2018) 4/8- I don't know about this movie. I probably need to see it again. I didn't like the fact that it pretty much ignored everything between the first one and this one. I also think I prefer Jamie Lee Curtis as the scream queen damsel in distress, rather than the Sarah Conor type bad @$& they made her in this one. OTH, it was still a good slasher flick with plenty of blood and gore. Plus the theater I saw it in was maybe 50 degrees which took away a bit from the overall enjoyment lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-18, 11:07 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
The Great Gatsby The 2013 DiCaprio version. The novel is #15 on the recent PBS Great American Read survey and is taught in many high schools. There are five Gatsby movies. So I read the book and watched the movie. I don't get it, but obviously a lot of other people do.

4/8
Old 11-18-18, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 5.5/8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: