Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-18, 07:32 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
8. I want to be your partner, can't you see.
"Dance With Me" - Orleans

22. A Commodore. First timer?
"Dancin' On The Ceiling" - Lionel Ritchie

I had a guess on The Gentrys, but I see OWK answered it already, and mine was wrong anyway.
Old 11-29-18, 08:41 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Zunardo - didn't mean to miss you on the abbreviated roll call; there are a couple of others also.

8. Dance With Me by Orleans. One thing I have noticed repeatedly in checking out these performers is that I am often watching a clip form The Midnight Special or Don Kershner's Rock Concert (JB - is that right?). Way back then, those were really good shows for the young folks like we were.
Also, some of these tunes, seem to be better now than I recall - this was one of those as I watched.

22. Not a Lionel Richie fan but he was hot there for awhile. It is Dancing On The Ceiling.

Finally, The Gentrys and Big time Wrestling, other than the sublime video with the song, this tune has record hop and school dance written all over it!

I Keep On Dancing! Shake it, shake it baby, come on and show me how you work. This would make a good title for all of us!!

Actually, I believe Rage, Rage, At The Dying Of The Light by another well known Dylan should be replaced with I Keep On Dancing.

Keep em rolling today. 4, 6, 9, 11, 12, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, and 28 remain.

Tough night for the Bucks; looked more like what I believe they are but still have a shot at the tourney with 18-19 wins. We'll see.

As our Boss says: Rock On!

Last edited by Bevo; 11-29-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
19. I wanna feel the heat with somebody!

I Wanna Dance with Somebody ~ Whitney Houston

:>---

EGA
Old 11-29-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
9. "Skinny Legs and All" - Joe Tex

25. " Ballroom Dancing" - Paul McCartney

28. " Hippy, Hippy Shake" - The Swinging Blue Jeans

JB
Old 11-29-18, 12:02 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
A couple of gimmes, if not already answered:

6. The Gentrys
"Keep On Dancing"

12. Well, meet me baby down at 45th. street.
"Peppermint Twist", Joey Dee and the Starliters

ROCK ON!
Old 11-29-18, 12:05 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
4. “Gangnam Style” – PSY (What on God’s beautiful green earth?)
16. “Brand New Funk” – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (of Bel Air)
26. “Dance to the Music” – Sly & The Family Stone (last I heard, Sly lives out of his van by choice)
Old 11-29-18, 05:36 PM
All American

Wow - what a run today on the list! My take... .

19 - pup with I Wanna Dance With Somebody by poor Whitney. The niece of Dionne Warwick?

9 - JB with a great funk song by the incomparable Joe Tex. Just love it. Some great videos. What do you think Joe was referring to in the title with the word "all"?

25. Ballroom Dancing - JB again This is the album that includes his sad song over Lennon's death with the heart felt dirge, Here Today. Isn't Ebony and Ivory also on Tug Of War? May be wrong with some of this. I have the album... somewhere.

28. JB has the Hippy, Hippy Shake by The Swingin' Blue Jeans. A lot of bands covered this.

OWK - 6 with The Gentrys and Keep On Dancing. You own this song for the video.

12. OWK again with the place where The Peppermint Twisters meet to do the Peppermint Twist!
As a kid watching these hokey rock and roll movies at The Star Theater in beautiful downtown Upper Sandusky. I thought the Peppermint Lounge was the greatest place in the universe.

Just a few years later at our record hops and dances Shout by Joey Dee was required of all of the garage bands. People would "gator" and the cops would rush in. It was great!! Like Keep On Dancing, Shout was another song that we wanted to last 60 minutes or more.

football fan - is correct in wondering what PSY was all about. I don't know!?!? But, Gangham Style is number 4.

15. I am a little out of the loop[ on this because, while it is Will Smith, the title I have is Let's Get Jiggy Wit It.

26. Dance To The Music - great funk and mixed race and gender involvement. Loved this music. Alas, if Sly does prefer living in his van, then so be it. I believe I read he is 75; probably looks like Pryor's old Black character, Mud Bone.

Also, speaking of Gender, I read Doonesbury every week in the Sunday funnies. To show the ridiculousness of life today, they used the term Gender Fluid. As in, I am gender fluid. Cracked me up. I would dye my hair if I was a half century younger but I am not sure about gender fluidity.

Ok! 11, 18 and 21 are left. It's a free concert! Everyone gets one more.

Last edited by Bevo; 11-29-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 08:46 PM
All American

21. " Get Down On It " - Kool and The Gang

JB
Old 11-29-18, 10:14 PM
All American

JB - My son the hip, hip hopper introduced me to this great catchy song. Check it out. Sounds great!

21 - Is Kool And The Gang with Get Down On It.

That leaves 11 and 18. Will reveal in the morning if no more midnight guesses or confessions.

a clue for one - is by what some would say is arguably the greatest rock band in the world; rumor has it they will go out yet again for a brief tour next year.
Old 11-29-18, 10:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
JB - My son the hip, hip hopper introduced me to this great catchy song. Check it out. Sounds great!

21 - Is Kool And The Gang with Get Down On It.

That leaves 11 and 18. Will reveal in the morning if no more midnight guesses or confessions.

a clue for one - is by what some would say is arguably the greatest rock band in the world; rumor has it they will go out yet again for a brief tour next year.
Bevo,

That's a good clue and they are, in my opinion, "the greatest rock band in the world" and it's not a rumor they are going to tour in the U.S. again next year. I saw the announcement the other day listing some of the cities they will perform. I debated on whether to answer question 21 or the other question you have given the clue on with my one allotted answer for the day.

Was your son the hip hopper the same son who was the ball boy during the Diebler years ?

JB
Old 11-30-18, 02:25 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
18. Harlem Shuffle -- The Stones (Yes, the greatest rock and roll band in the world!)

Thanks for the excellent clues, Bevo and JB.

I'll gladly give $20 to anyone who can listen to this song and not move a muscle.
Old 11-30-18, 06:20 AM
All American

Ok - once again the fog rolls in and mom stays here for at least two more hours. "Great"!

Monclova - It is The Glitter Twins on 18 with others and The Harlem Shuffle. The stones certainly have a sound of their own. Still enjoy most of what they do and love watching Keith and his various poses as he grinds away.

When Satisfaction was out, I was still a junior high paper boy!

The other tune - 11 - is Do The Hustle by Vance McCoy. Never really connected on this vibe but like Get Down On It, it's a catchy song.

JB - not a month goes by in our house without some reference being made to Jon, Jake, Keith. Like the aforementioned Stones' reference, for several winters we were - what seemed like - the greatest rock and roll band in the world. I can see why the mythology of "running off and joining the circus" endures. We had the circus!

All of the hip hoppers' momentos are carefully preserved along with all of the clippings. He was a third grader the year they won it all and now he is twenty-two!

That completes part two of the Keep On Dancing rock and roll quiz. Got some other topics for later on. Stay safe. High school boys' hoops open this weekend!!
Old 12-06-18, 07:48 AM
All American

JB and OWK - while waiting in line at Hawkins' Market in Ashland this week I started talking to a guy and discovered he had been a head basketball coach at Newark and Marietta. We swapped a few tales and that was it. He said he was 79, so I figured him as a head coach in circa late 60's - mid 80's. His last name was Carlisle or Carlyle. Said his dad had either been a principal or a basketball coach at Montgomery School (just outside of Ashland) back in the day.

Pretty sharp and he was telling some wild tales about the games in Marietta when they would play teams from W.V.
Old 12-06-18, 12:02 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
JB and OWK - while waiting in line at Hawkins' Market in Ashland this week I started talking to a guy and discovered he had been a head basketball coach at Newark and Marietta. We swapped a few tales and that was it. He said he was 79, so I figured him as a head coach in circa late 60's - mid 80's. His last name was Carlisle or Carlyle. Said his dad had either been a principal or a basketball coach at Montgomery School (just outside of Ashland) back in the day.

Pretty sharp and he was telling some wild tales about the games in Marietta when they would play teams from W.V.
Sorry Bevo, but I'm not familiar with him. Sounds interesting and I love to hear stories from the old days. I'm sure he has some great ones.

ROCK ON!
Old 12-08-18, 06:21 PM
All American

Quote:

Bevo,

The Mr. Carlisle or Carlyle you ran into in Ashland recently would have not been the head basketball coach at Newark High School. As you know, I follow the Newark Wildcats with a passion and Newark has only had 5 head coaches in the last 76 years and I have followed the last 4 personally since I was in elementary school ( minus 3 years I lived in Florida).

Max Douglas coached from 1942 -1957

Jimmy Allen from 1957 - 1962

Dick Schenk from 1962 - 1972

Gary Walters from 1972 - 1998

Jeff Quackenbush 1998 - present

Mr. Carlisle could have been an assistant varsity coach perhaps or maybe he was head coach at Newark Catholic, Newark Licking Valley or maybe even Heath ( my alma mater) which is actually a suburb of Newark with corporation signs back to back, but definitely not the Newark head coach.

Marietta was a member of the Central Ohio League along with Newark during the time I attended Newark back in the early 60's and I remember some road trips to Marietta back in the day and the trip back was always thru a blanket of fog. The Wildcats had some tough battles with Marietta over the years of the C.O.L. They played each other a total of 104 times over the years with Newark winning 72 and losing 32.

JB
Old 12-08-18, 08:28 PM
All American

Ok; saw our local Upper Rams win a game at the buzzer tonight over Col. Crawford on a three, 48-45.
Adding to the festivites is that our best player, a junior named McCreary transferred to Upper from, wait for it. C.C. this year.

This is a game we were to win handily and we led most of the game until the fourth when we fell behind by five. The C.C. boys played hard and we looked out of sync. Then trailing by four with 1:30 to go we stole the ball twice and after a miss literally won as the clock read .1 I believe we are five-zero and should be ranked somewhere. This kid is an all-Ohio type player.
Crowd rush! Very exciting. "I believe that we have won! I believe that we have won!"
Old 12-08-18, 10:09 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an exciting game, Bevo! I do miss going to those, but my life has taken a different direction now that the kids are gone.

Speaking of Jake Diebler, he was passing through SLC and texted my daughter to say hi as he always does when he's in her neck of the woods. They don't see each other, however. ( Of course.) He's married with a lovely wife (who looks a lot like our daughter!) and baby girl. Coaching at Vanderbilt and seems very happy.

People in my online running group ( You vs. the Year) run their birthday numbers sometimes, so today I ran 6.2 miles on the treadmill for my birthday tomorrow. I used to do that much every day in the summer last year; then I went down to five a day this summer. I need to step it up again! I detest the dreadmill but I won't go to in the cold. I'm a wuss.
Old 12-09-18, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
"on-line running"

Wait? I'm getting fit-bit points for posting? WIN!
Old 12-09-18, 10:57 AM
All American

There a few of us on here where running our birthdays would take a month.

About the Upper game again, McCreary reminded all of us of Jake. Same size, same skills.
Also, they still do the arm-in-arm thing at the end. Very cool! The sheer exuberance of high school and being a teen is overwhelming.
Funny, how they all can't wait to grow up...I won't say a word.
Old 12-09-18, 02:21 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
"on-line running"

Wait? I'm getting fit-bit points for posting? WIN!
Nice try, bucco.

Dreadmill vs. weight machine for the worst! I think dreadmill wins by a t'red.
Old 12-10-18, 08:56 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Had a great-niece in town from Los Angeles over the previous weekend, attending a volleyball camp at OSU on that Sunday. They provided her with a ticket to the OSU men's basketball game that evening against Minnesota, and Mrs. Zunardo and I got some cheap tickets to sit with her.

Try as we might , we couldn't generate any enthusiasm for the game. We did note that the NBA-style hoopla seems to have crept into Value City Arena since the last time we went five or six years ago - particularly the flames shooting out above the backboards that turned deep red and the WWF-style announcing.

Full disclosure: part of reason for our lethargy may have been that we were a bit tuckered from driving to Indy to see Ohio State v. Northwestern the night before, then driving straight back home and getting in at 4 AM Sunday.
Old 12-10-18, 04:36 PM
All American

Style of play due to current talent level - still winning, so I take it.

Not a star in sight and very deliberate. Poor opponent. Just saying...
Old 12-13-18, 01:32 PM
All Region

Stevie Nicks, Janet Jackson, Zombies and more going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 12-13-18, 08:00 PM
All American

This year's class did not move my meter very far. I know some of you knew a lot more about the performers than I. That's cool!

In: Stevie Nicks, Radio Head, Janet Jackson, Def Leopard, The Cure, Roxy Music and The Zombies.

Out: Kraftwerk, Todd Rundgren, Rage Against The Machien, Rufus And Chaka Kahn, MC 5, LL Cool J, John Prine, and Devo
Old 12-14-18, 07:22 AM
All Region

I love Def Leppard. So glad they made it.
Old 12-14-18, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

Nancy Wilson ~ Passed at the age of 81 (2/20/1937-12/13/2018)
1968 photo...

EGA
Old 12-14-18, 08:46 AM
All American

R & B, and Soul master. Did a bit of everything. Watching and listening to this clip provides feelings of nostalgia and longing.
Old 12-14-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Just for fun... How to Dance like an Angel....

1... you need a Columbo trench coat
2... pick the right music
3... be uninhibited
4... the more women the better

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 12-14-18 at 03:15 PM. Reason: x-4-8-7-8-6-7

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: