Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-19, 06:03 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Game of Thrones returns April 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I agree very much with your points on Dany. It has been an 8 season development, not a two episode development. I also thought they did a good job showing her conflict this episde, little things, facial expressions. Her decision at the bells was not thought out. Her decision with the Tarleys and some in Essos were not thought out but a product of a baby being brought up by an insanely cruel brother, sold by an insanely cruel brother, focused on what he and she thought a right, ascension. She had her Uncle's kind heart and had acts committed on her and committed acts as cruel as any of her ancestry. She had to live with that?

That will snap you.

What I didn't agree with from the writers and what makes me think they also don't think they did this well were the obsessive one-liners in the pre-show tying the ends. They do not believe the viewers can put it together which means to me that they know they didn't do it well.

They needed to show this slip to madness reflected by those around her who loved her most, instead of just Varys. It needed to be seen by the most sane, Millisandri. There needed to be attempts by those who loved her to protect her.

As to your last point, I think theyíve shown it through Jon and Tyrionís perspectives this season, especially during Episode 5.

Tyrion believed in her until the point she went mad, but you could sense throughout the season that his belief in Dany was wavering more and more each episode. Even in Varysí death scene you sensed Tyrion wasnít fully sure he made the right choice. I think Peter Dinklage has done incredible work this season showing the inner conflict as he starts to see cracks in his belief in Dany as whatís best for Westeros.

To a lesser extent, I think Jonís belief in Dany has wavered since he learned if his lineage, confronted her with it, and she begged him to hide it. I fully believe Jon doesnít want the throne, but his support in Dany has also been wavering with each questionable decision with the last episode likely being the turning point. IMO Jonís support of Dany has always been more about his love for her, not his belief in her as a great queen. He didnít bend the knee until they fell in love. As that love has wavered, his belief in her has as well.

I also think she really misses Jorah in a moment like this. In the past Jorah was the one that would walk her back from the edge of madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PantherProud; 05-14-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:23 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
I just saw something saying there is another episode the week after the finale. Iím guessing a series recap?

Has anyone else heard this?

Old 05-14-19, 06:25 AM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
I just saw something saying there is another episode the week after the finale. Iím guessing a series recap?

Has anyone else heard this?

There is a behind the scenes/making of documentary premiering on the 26th

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-19, 07:13 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
To the leaders of Qarth:

Quote:
When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!
But everyone's shocked when she does just this.
Old 05-14-19, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
To the leaders of Qarth:

ha was just watching a video that said this exact same thing. They've been teasing her turn since Season 1. Not sure why people think it was rushed over 2 episodes.
Old 05-14-19, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
As to your last point, I think they’ve shown it through Jon and Tyrion’s perspectives this season, especially during Episode 5.
The discussion is on the skill of the writing.
From a viewer's perspective, as opposed to GOT time, Jon has barely been in her life. She would not give up the throne for him. She has rebuked Tyrion's romantic interest at every instance. He had no hold over her except his knowledge of Westeros. The point about Jorah was correct to a point. His death removed a possible restraint but then again, the writers went to lengths to show it was Millisandre's death that sent her over the edge, not his. He was the sweet old guy, not trusted counsel, not a voice in her head.

Millisandre had the girl friend going on. Millisandre saved Dany from loneliness. It had to be Millisandre shown as the one that had been saving her from herself. The writers chose to show her death was the one that broke Dany not because it was the thousandth cut but because it was a mortal wound. It was her death and that of the dragon, not Jorah's that brought Dany to personal hate of not just Cercie but of King's Landing. If not for that, Cercei was just in the way of the throne. She'd have had no impulse to start burning after the bells.

If they had written it as their conclusion required, then it would have been Millisandre's death that removed that critical restraint, which would have matched up with the critical timing of the scenes at King's Landing. None of the others, none of the males were credible in the role of saviour from madness. My opinion.

Last edited by eastisbest; 05-14-19 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
The discussion is on the skill of the writing.
From a viewer's perspective, as opposed to GOT time, Jon has barely been in her life. She would not give up the throne for him. She has rebuked Tyrion's romantic interest at every instance. He had no hold over her except his knowledge of Westeros. The point about Jorah was correct to a point. His death removed a possible restraint but then again, the writers went to lengths to show it was Millisandre's death that sent her over the edge, not his. He was the sweet old guy, not trusted counsel, not a voice in her head.

Millisandre had the girl friend going on. Millisandre saved Dany from loneliness. It had to be Millisandre shown as the one that had been saving her from herself. The writers chose to show her death was the one that broke Dany not because it was the thousandth cut but because it was a mortal wound. It was her death and that of the dragon, not Jorah's that brought Dany to personal hate of not just Cercie but of King's Landing. If not for that, Cercei was just in the way of the throne. She'd have had no impulse to start burning after the bells.

If they had written it as their conclusion required, then it would have been Millisandre's death that removed that critical restraint, which would have matched up with the critical timing of the scenes at King's Landing. None of the others, none of the males were credible in the role of saviour from madness. My opinion.

Maybe we arenít on the same page here. What does Tyerion as a romantic interest have to do with anything?

Old 05-14-19, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
If anyone feels like debating GOT's place in TV history I started a thread on the top 20 TV Shows of all time: http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthre...71#post7310871
Old 05-14-19, 09:15 AM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Six Feet Under is definitely in the upper tier. Not The Wire or Sopranos but up there with Boardwalk Empire
To me the upper tier is Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Wire. Then shows like Boardwalk Empire, Six Feet Under, OZ, etc.
Old 05-14-19, 09:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
To the leaders of Qarth:

I think most people expected there to be more of a build up instead of something that happens at the blink of an eye. I like the idea of her going mad, the ppl who wanted this cheesy bs ending with her and Jon Snow ruling together never understood the show.
Old 05-14-19, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The Simpsons figured it out two years ago-

Article- https://nypost.com/2019/05/14/the-si...t-2-years-ago/
Old 05-14-19, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
As was said on South Park, the Simpsons did it first.
Old 05-14-19, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I think most people expected there to be more of a build up instead of something that happens at the blink of an eye. I like the idea of her going mad, the ppl who wanted this cheesy bs ending with her and Jon Snow ruling together never understood the show.

But again, there was buildup. She burned the witch in season 1. Burned the Tarlyís rather than imprisoning them. Burned Varys.

Theyíve been showing traits of her possibly turning bad for the entire series.

Old 05-14-19, 11:53 AM
All World

Quote:
But again, there was buildup. She burned the witch in season 1. Burned the Tarlyís rather than imprisoning them. Burned Varys.

Theyíve been showing traits of her possibly turning bad for the entire series.

But all of those actions were justifiable. I agree itís always been there, but it wouldíve been good to see her make a few more bad, impulsive decisions. This was such a gigantic storyline, it shouldíve been at the forefront instead of the background.
Old 05-14-19, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
But all of those actions were justifiable. I agree itís always been there, but it wouldíve been good to see her make a few more bad, impulsive decisions. This was such a gigantic storyline, it shouldíve been at the forefront instead of the background.

I donít know that Iíd call them justifiable at all. Especially Varys and the Tarlyís.

Old 05-14-19, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
One episode left... Is the last episode where we find out GoT is just like Westworld in the sense that it falls under the "simulation theory" realm?

Euron Greyjoy: "It's just a game"
Old 05-14-19, 03:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I think most people expected there to be more of a build up instead of something that happens at the blink of an eye.
That is the problem I had with it. GOT has shown so much character development throughout the series but the last couple episodes, they wanted us to fill in all the blanks.

Personally, I would have shown Dany getting more and more angry in isolation. They could have built this up through 20 minutes of the show until she finally broke and flew into her rage.

I would have also cut out all the the dragon scenes in the city and just showed Tyrion on a hill in the distance in disbelief as he watched the city burn from Dany's rampage through the city.

That would have given us 40 more minutes of the kind of show that GOT was built on instead of the shock & awe they were going for and missed so badly.
Old 05-14-19, 03:54 PM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
One episode left... Is the last episode where we find out GoT is just like Westworld in the sense that it falls under the "simulation theory" realm?

Euron Greyjoy: "It's just a game"
Nah...

Modern day Sean Bean finishes reading a bedtime story about knights and dragons to his autistic son Bran who is shaking a snowglobe with a castle in it.

or

Dany flies back to Mereen. At takeoff she sees that Jon has spelled out "Goodbye" with rocks on the beach. Ramon Djawdi's version of Suicide is Painless plays over the end credits.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-19, 01:48 PM
All World

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
To me the upper tier is Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Wire. Then shows like Boardwalk Empire, Six Feet Under, OZ, etc.
Only one season, but at 10 episodes it meets the definition of a series. The best ever on HBO ...

Band of Brothers.
Old 05-15-19, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Only one season, but at 10 episodes it meets the definition of a series. The best ever on HBO ...

Band of Brothers.
And then they followed it up with the Pacific which was woefully disappointing after how great Band of Brothers was.
Old 05-15-19, 03:23 PM
All World

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
And then they followed it up with the Pacific which was woefully disappointing after how great Band of Brothers was.
It's all about expectations.

I eagerly watched The Pacific, and then like you was woefully disappointed.

Several years later I watched it again expecting it to be awful. It wasn't quite as bad as I remembered.

Not worth watching a third time though. Come to think of it, I didn't even watch every episode the second time through.
Old 05-15-19, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
The first 4 or so seasons of True Blood on HBO were great too...and then it went to hell, had several awful seasons, and had the second worst series finale I have ever seen
Old 05-15-19, 06:33 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
The first 4 or so seasons of True Blood on HBO were great too...and then it went to hell, had several awful seasons, and had the second worst series finale I have ever seen

First?

Old 05-15-19, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
It's all about expectations.

I eagerly watched The Pacific, and then like you was woefully disappointed.

Several years later I watched it again expecting it to be awful. It wasn't quite as bad as I remembered.

Not worth watching a third time though. Come to think of it, I didn't even watch every episode the second time through.
Exactly. Nothing could have lived up to Band of Brothers.
Old 05-16-19, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Ahh, nostalgia... anyone else remember when Tyrion (and GOT) was great?

Old 05-16-19, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I wish they'd kept Barristan Selmy alive
Old 05-16-19, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

The latest conjecture is that Arua riding off on the white horse was actually a post-death experience.
Old 05-16-19, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Anyone sign this?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/enter...ion/index.html
Old 05-16-19, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
So what storylines still need tying up?

Iíve seen a lot of people say thereís too much left to tie up in one episode. I question if thatís true.

Old 05-16-19, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I wish they'd kept Barristan Selmy alive
Nice death scene though.

Now that you've mentioned it, I do wonder how it would have played out.

A lot like Varys but from a military POV, he knew he had worked for a lot of azzholes and he just wanted someone who would be nice. He'd have probably had the same conscious as Vary's though and turned traitor. That Tarley scene would have done him in. Or maybe he would have been the credible character that could have turned Daenerys away from that decision.

Been seeing the headlines of people naming their kids after her.

Ooops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: