Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-18, 01:16 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
I'll let this ride out until late tonight and then fill in the blanks. If some of the vets want to close this out, have at it.

2, 6, 13 are all doable by a few of you. 14 is tougher.

I have one more potential list to do then if anyone wants to go sports, tv, more music, etc., go for it.

Going to go see The Black Klansman. Will report later.
Old 08-11-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Coldshoulder's answer to #2 wasn't correct? I mean, there were a lot of "bahs" there at the beginning (more so than my guess of Spanky's "Sunday Will Never Be the Same").
Old 08-11-18, 02:59 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Coldshoulder's answer to #2 wasn't correct? I mean, there were a lot of "bahs" there at the beginning (more so than my guess of Spanky's "Sunday Will Never Be the Same").

Bevo,

I'm all answered out and have the same question about #2 that Monclova Steve asked. I thought " Barbara Ann" as answered by Coldshoulder sounded good to me with all of those " Bah Bah Bah, Bah etc etc it sure sounded like Beach Boys to me. Of course, that song was big in 1966 and you are looking for a 1969 song, but I'm stumped on this one. I will agree that it's not "Spanky and Our Gang". . .you will not live this down for a while Monclova Steve, lol.

I don't know 6, 13, or 14 either . Plus did anyone ever answer 20 yet ? Add that to my list of what I don't know.. I have always heard that "you don't know what you don't know" and I believe this post is an example of that.

Finally, before I forget did you ever come up with the full name of Edd Bynes character "Kookie" from 77 Sunset Strip ? I'm throwing it out to anyone if I haven't heard from you by Sunday morning. The pressure is on.

JB
Old 08-11-18, 05:27 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
13. Hey Romeo you nearly gave me a heart attack. He's underneath her window and she's singing hey la my boyfriend's back.

Does the first sentence relate to an eighties'(?) song? And, the second sentence to a sixties' song (My Boyfriend's Back)? I had to look to see who sang the latter and they certainly were not devils.

I also googled the first sentence, hence my first question. Could be I don't know what I am talking about as I did not read the rules, teach!
Old 08-11-18, 05:53 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I thought the "bah" song might be "At the Hop" but there are only 16 bahs. I have no idea what year it came out.
Old 08-11-18, 09:14 PM
All American

Enjoying the chatter. Black Klansman will receive several Academy Award Nominations. My grade - A. Many good scenes; really enjoyed the one with all of teh black crowd in a club dancing to It's Too Late To Turn Back Now by Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose. Other well used songs included Brandy by Looking Glass and Lucky Man by E.L. and P.

No. 2 is Tracy by The Cufflinks. Tracy when I'm with you... . now try the bah, bahs to open.

No. 6. JB - you know this song is Norman by The Orwells.

13. Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits or just Mark Knopfler. Play it - it's romantic and has great music and swing to it.

14. Bob Dylan made a pilgrimage to New York to meet Woody Guthrie after Dylan feel head over heels for the dust bowl troubadour. Surprisingly enough, when a 20-year old Dylan knocked on the Guthrie house, it was answered by 14-year old Arlo.
Woody was suffering from Huntington's Chorlea and not well at all. Still Dylan stayed for a bit and played him some songs. (Passing of the torch, so to speak). Dylan was so shocked by his hero's condition that he stated he would not be returning to see him.

Implied by Dylan was that seeing his muse in such a pitiful state was too much bear. He needed his hero well and in full glory. He was the exact opposite.

The song Dylan wrote for Woody was called just that A Song for Woody. Hey, hey, Woody Guthrie I wrote you a song. 'bout a crazy old world that's a comin' undone. It's sick and it's tired and it's hardly begun and it's almost ...already done.

Only original song on Dylan's first album. Worth a listen for the early, early Dylan sound.

That's it for the quiz and given the strange songs used, a pretty good job by all to get all but four correct.

One last round by me; probably late next week.

(JB - you know the song "Norman"" by The Orwells?)

Last edited by Bevo; 08-11-18 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 08:44 AM
All American

Bevo,

2. Never would have thought of "Tracy" by The Cuff Links even after all of the discussion we have had in the past about Ron Dante. who did the voices for many, many groups including the Cuff Links.

6. The only "Norman" tune I am familiar with is " Norman" by Sue Thompson which climbed as high as #3 on the charts in my junior year of high school. More importantly is the fact that the Orwells clue didn't help me at all since I have to admit I had never heard of the group before.

20. Still curious on what is the answer for #20 ?

Finally, I haven't heard back from you yet on my question to you earlier on what is the full name of "Kookie" the parking lot attendant on 77 Sunset Strip series . I am now throwing the question out to the masses. . . .does anyone know Kookie's full name in the series? The jam lines are now open and I'll take the fifth caller. I'll check back later after we get home from church as Mrs JB is yelling at me to hurry up and get ready. Just told her I would pray for her when we get there, nothing better than getting the evil eye while sitting in the pew, lol. Later.

JB
Old 08-12-18, 10:10 AM
All American

JB,
I could have written the exact post as your response to #6 (except for the grade reference -- I was 10 when Sue Thompson's version became a hit). The Orwells? Not a hint of their existence (to my detriment, not theirs).
As to Kookie, all I can recollect is that oh, so famous hit "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb".
Pray fervently for the wonderful Mrs. JB, as I'm sure you regularly do. It'll do wonders for BOTH of you -- if you know what I mean!
Old 08-12-18, 12:00 PM
All American

Remember our old grade cards where the teachers could make anecdotal comments on the back? Like, "Bothers his neighbor, Talks too much, Needs to mind own business, Needs to concentrate more, etc.," and that was just the first six weeks!

Well, you can go to the bank on my mistakes on quizzes, sort of a tradition.

Which is my way of saying that Susan Thompson DID do Norman. My fault. I don't know who in the hell the Orwells are either! Maybe they had something to do with Animal Farm or 1984... . so, you are correct on this one. Clean up in pew four.

What I was going for on 20. with the Richard Harris baroque rendering of McArthur's Park in mind, was his famous movie, A Man Called Horse - which I know you know.

It's hard to believe but I went to Sunday School religiously and weekly for around eight years. I paid attention but it helped that my fellow, youthful parishioners and I talked a lot about basketball over the years and the girls always looked so nice dressed up. In our small town , my bud(s) and I would often walk to church on many Sundays.

Well done by the participants. Next one from me late next week... .
Old 08-12-18, 01:57 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I'll end the suspense by answering "Gerald LLoyd Kookson, III".

As I mentioned privately to Johnstown Benny, I acquired that bit of info maybe 15 years ago while scouring an encyclopedia of all the prime time TV shows ever shown (minimum 4 episodes ) on the major air networks. There are a couple of books like that out there, and they're fun to browse through, reminisce, and learn something new.
Old 08-12-18, 08:14 PM
All American

Quote:
JB,
I could have written the exact post as your response to #6 (except for the grade reference -- I was 10 when Sue Thompson's version became a hit). The Orwells? Not a hint of their existence (to my detriment, not theirs).
As to Kookie, all I can recollect is that oh, so famous hit "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb".
Pray fervently for the wonderful Mrs. JB, as I'm sure you regularly do. It'll do wonders for BOTH of you -- if you know what I mean!

Monclova Steve,

You are spot on with your synopsis. Glad to know that someone else doesn't know who the Orwells are either by the way.

JB
Old 08-12-18, 08:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Remember our old grade cards where the teachers could make anecdotal comments on the back? Like, "Bothers his neighbor, Talks too much, Needs to mind own business, Needs to concentrate more, etc.," and that was just the first six weeks!

Well, you can go to the bank on my mistakes on quizzes, sort of a tradition.

Which is my way of saying that Susan Thompson DID do Norman. My fault. I don't know who in the hell the Orwells are either! Maybe they had something to do with Animal Farm or 1984... . so, you are correct on this one. Clean up in pew four.

What I was going for on 20. with the Richard Harris baroque rendering of McArthur's Park in mind, was his famous movie, A Man Called Horse - which I know you know.

It's hard to believe but I went to Sunday School religiously and weekly for around eight years. I paid attention but it helped that my fellow, youthful parishioners and I talked a lot about basketball over the years and the girls always looked so nice dressed up. In our small town , my bud(s) and I would often walk to church on many Sundays.

Well done by the participants. Next one from me late next week... .

Bevo,

Yes, I definitely am familiar with Richard Harris and his role in " A Man Called Horse", also the sequel " Return Of A Man Called Horse". I tried to find a connection with "MacArthur Park to "AMCH" but just couldn't figure out the clue THAT movie and then I thought about his film "Man In The Wilderness" and still couldn't come up with a connection to MacArthur Park.

Keep those traditions alive in your future quizzes as it keeps us on our toes for sure. Looking forward to your next installment.

JB
Old 08-12-18, 09:03 PM
All American

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I'll end the suspense by answering "Gerald LLoyd Kookson, III".

As I mentioned privately to Johnstown Benny, I acquired that bit of info maybe 15 years ago while scouring an encyclopedia of all the prime time TV shows ever shown (minimum 4 episodes ) on the major air networks. There are a couple of books like that out there, and they're fun to browse through, reminisce, and learn something new.
Zunardo,

Gerald Lloyd Kookson III is indeed, the real name of the fictional character Kookie, the parking lot attendant on the old popular TV show "77 Sunset Strip. I appreciate the fact you had advised me earlier via a private message that even though you knew the correct answer to the trivia question you elected to wait until Bevo had a chance to answer it first.

I opened up the question to everyone this morning after not hearing from Bevo and assuming he was stumped. Glad you "ended the suspense" and in doing so in such a classy manner. Good job Zunardo.

JB
Old 08-12-18, 10:08 PM
All American

Bravo! Bravo! Finally some class on here!!
Old 08-13-18, 09:20 AM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Z:

Old 08-13-18, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. 6. JB - you know this song is Norman by The Orwells.

(JB - you know the song "Norman"" by The Orwells?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
6. The only "Norman" tune I am familiar with is " Norman" by Sue Thompson which climbed as high as #3 on the charts in my junior year of high school. More importantly is the fact that the Orwells clue didn't help me at all since I have to admit I had never heard of the group before.
Quote:
Quote:
... Susan Thompson DID do Norman. My fault. I don't know who in the hell the Orwells are either! Maybe they had something to do with Animal Farm or 1984... . so, you are correct on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Glad to know that someone else doesn't know who the Orwells are either by the way.
Have to admit that I immediately thought “Norman” by The Orwells for #6! Didn’t post, though, because I thought I was somehow mistaken, considering the group’s musical style doesn’t really match that of the artists featured in the rest of the quiz. Glad you guys caught onto Sue Thompson as the artist who was supposed to be listed (I probably didn't because I wasn't born yet when this was a hit ).

Started listening to The Orwells, back in 2010, with their song, “Feels Better to Fall,” but I actually like “Flee the Scene” better from that album. Downloaded maybe 5 Orwells songs since then, including my favorite “Other Voices” (2013). Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, though!
Old 08-13-18, 02:24 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bravo! Bravo! Finally some class on here!!
I think there's class displayed all the time here with you all.
Old 08-13-18, 03:03 PM
All American

Diva - you say that to all of the boys.

FootballFan 1795 - Thank you - I rest my flimsy case.
Old 08-13-18, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Have to admit that I immediately thought “Norman” by The Orwells for #6! Didn’t post, though, because I thought I was somehow mistaken, considering the group’s musical style doesn’t really match that of the artists featured in the rest of the quiz. Glad you guys caught onto Sue Thompson as the artist who was supposed to be listed (I probably didn't because I wasn't born yet when this was a hit ).

Didn't a Teacher or Proctor or Prof ever tell you that when taking a test
(after all these are for fun tests)... Always go with your first instinct.

:>---

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
~ Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

SF
Old 08-13-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road

:>---

SF
Old 08-13-18, 05:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I think there's class displayed all the time here with you all.
Diva,
Thank you for your wonderful comment; but there is someone you left out. That's YOU!!!!
What makes this thread so great isn't the wonderful knowledge that some have about the world of popular (especially OLD, lol) culture. It is the selflessness and concern shown toward others on here as we all continue our journey.
I love you guys (and I use that in the generic sense ) .
Old 08-14-18, 12:49 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post

Well … there were only about 3 artists and/or songs I didn’t know (but really, that’s 3 too many compared to you guys!). Always been a music-lover (of both the old and new), but you guys really know your stuff!

BTW, my dad always says that when he was young, he looked like the young Elvis. And, looking at Dad’s old photos, he actually did! Sure couldn’t sing like him, though.
Old 08-14-18, 12:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Like the quote. Reminds me of my brother, who retired in 2004 after serving 20 years in the Navy. Still chuckle every time I think about how difficult it was for him to adjust to civilian life. After earning his Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering while in the Navy and then retiring, he landed a leadership position at a local firm. But, he just couldn’t help ordering others to clean up after themselves and to get haircuts. Ultimately, got an HR “talkin’ to” when a female coworker complained that he called her a ‘knucklehead’ when she messed up some assignment. (And, yes, he did apologize.)

Even now, he still gets up at the crack of dawn every day, is never late for anything, is pretty fit for his age, and occasionally speaks at local high schools on Veteran’s Day. That said, he still drinks and swears like a sailor, too, on occasion.

A side note: he says that stress from patrolling the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz gave him temporary alopecia. Also, when I was finally able to reach him by phone on 9/11, he was in Jacksonville teaching a class of bored sailors about terrorism response tactics, when someone popped his head in the door and said that a commercial airliner just flew into the WTC, and it was probably a terrorist attack on our country. Said he never saw students sit up so fast and take such fervent notes after that!
Old 08-14-18, 01:20 AM
All American

FootballFan1795,
Excellent stories about your dad and bro.
Thanks for entertaining me with them as I made my way back from my 2am trip "down the hall". Sounds like you have a wonderful family with great values.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: