Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-29-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Gotta laugh, show up here after a few months and nothing changes. Professor Lotr educating and schooling everyone. And everyone on the thread confirming and affirming and suddenly agreeing with the same information Lotr and I were yacking about 2 months ago. EM, hybersleep, environment equivalency for space, worm holes. Suddenly someone named Blackhawk is agreeing with everything I wrote,actually admitting he or she needed to catch up on the science and science fiction. And Lotr's even quoting Kaku with some new alternative of quantum mechanics to actually go faster then the speed of light. But hey, that's par for the course. I can imagine the Star Wars thread the same, posters eventually emulating what I wrote, after giving me the what for. Again, par for the course when dealing with large practical intelligence gaps. The lower the practical intelligence, the more the propensity to self incrimination, it just happens, posters step on their own tongues. And old EP still doling out his 20 posts a day, goal is to reach 100,000 posts about nothingness before the end of the decade. One thing's for sure, he'll accomplish that before we set foot on Mars. And by the way EP, making posts 20 times a day doesn't change the fact that you're still dumb. You were dumb 2 months ago, you are dumb now, you'll be dumb in the future. Nothing will change that. And you can try your best to try not to be dumb, but you're still dumb. Sorry Dr Xavier for spoiling your Yappi Princess gig, I know it hurts. As well as all the other dumb guys on here. Sorry, you're dumb. Don't get mad at me because its true. And now here it comes - nickname, sarcasm, bag comment, reference to Hooters (now that is funny, even I smile and laugh at it, even though it did happen). But in the end EP you're going to wake up dumb tomorrow morning, and there's not much you can do about it. Now all of you go over to the snowflake with the 30,000 posts who went on a posting tear for about a week 2 months ago about mystic geology as part of a matrix existence thread (okey doke).
Hey JR, welcome back. Drop in now and then as this thread has some great links and the discussion is going in so many different directions!
Old 01-29-17, 11:32 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Gotta laugh, show up here after a few months and nothing changes. Professor Lotr educating and schooling everyone. And everyone on the thread confirming and affirming and suddenly agreeing with the same information Lotr and I were yacking about 2 months ago. EM, hybersleep, environment equivalency for space, worm holes. Suddenly someone named Blackhawk is agreeing with everything I wrote,actually admitting he or she needed to catch up on the science and science fiction. And Lotr's even quoting Kaku with some new alternative of quantum mechanics to actually go faster then the speed of light. But hey, that's par for the course. I can imagine the Star Wars thread the same, posters eventually emulating what I wrote, after giving me the what for. Again, par for the course when dealing with large practical intelligence gaps. The lower the practical intelligence, the more the propensity to self incrimination, it just happens, posters step on their own tongues. And old EP still doling out his 20 posts a day, goal is to reach 100,000 posts about nothingness before the end of the decade. One thing's for sure, he'll accomplish that before we set foot on Mars. And by the way EP, making posts 20 times a day doesn't change the fact that you're still dumb. You were dumb 2 months ago, you are dumb now, you'll be dumb in the future. Nothing will change that. And you can try your best to try not to be dumb, but you're still dumb. Sorry Dr Xavier for spoiling your Yappi Princess gig, I know it hurts. As well as all the other dumb guys on here. Sorry, you're dumb. Don't get mad at me because its true. And now here it comes - nickname, sarcasm, bag comment, reference to Hooters (now that is funny, even I smile and laugh at it, even though it did happen). But in the end EP you're going to wake up dumb tomorrow morning, and there's not much you can do about it. Now all of you go over to the snowflake with the 30,000 posts who went on a posting tear for about a week 2 months ago about mystic geology as part of a matrix existence thread (okey doke).
An early candidate for post of the year.
Old 01-30-17, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

A nice article on the notion that the universe is simply a complex hologram:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7553766.html

I've never really bought into this argument and suspect it arises from our having so little understanding of the universe. But then if I'm a hologram I guess that's what I would think?
Old 01-31-17, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

And so it begins:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/billi...in-riches.html

From the article:

Moon Express, the first private company in history to receive government permission to travel beyond Earth's orbit, announced Tuesday that it raised another $20 million in private equity financing to fund its maiden lunar mission to take place in late 2017. This brings the total amount of private investment to $45 million from investors that include Peter Thiel's Founders Fund, Collaborative Fund and Autodesk.

What may have added impetus to investor interest in Moon Express is President Trump's picks for the NASA transition team — Charles Miller and Chris Shank — and the leading candidate to become the next NASA administrator, GOP Rep. Jim Bridenstine. All support commercial space ventures and manned exploration — including lunar missions.

If successful, the new MX-1 lunar lander from Moon Express would not only win the $20 million Google Lunar XPRIZE, it would also help jump-start a new era of space exploration. Up until now, only government-funded missions from the United States, China and Russia have landed on the moon.
Old 01-31-17, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

Holy macaroni, now this is really WEIRD!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...time-crystals/

Every day it seems like we are learning about stuff that was believed to be scientifically impossible. Like I've always said there is no such thing as "settled science".

Here's a description of the TIME CRYSTALS they say they've made:

"This is a new phase of matter, period, but it is also really cool because it is one of the first examples of non-equilibrium matter," lead researcher Norman Yao from the University of California, Berkeley told EurekaAlert!.

The idea of time crystals—a form of matter that appears to move even at its energy-less ground state—was first proposed by Nobel-Prize winning theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek in 2012. Usually, if matter is in its ground state, movement should be impossible, because it contains no energy.

The researchers say that time crystals resemble Jell-O. When you tap Jell-O, it jiggles. The only difference is that the crystals are jiggling without using any energy, without any tap. By definition, time crystals can never stop oscillating, no matter how little energy they contain.

Here's the actual scientific paper this was published in - warning very dense reading:

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract...ett.118.030401
Old 01-31-17, 06:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
A nice article on the notion that the universe is simply a complex hologram:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7553766.html

I've never really bought into this argument and suspect it arises from our having so little understanding of the universe. But then if I'm a hologram I guess that's what I would think?
On a similar note: Elon Musk believes there's a strong possibility that humans live in a computer simulation. While I totally respect Elon Musk, I'm not sold on this kind of argument either.
Old 02-01-17, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

An interesting observation of how low gravity might extend your lifespan:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-twins...ion-telomeres/

The key bit:

What's interesting about this is that telomeres are associated with aging and longer telomeres are associated with longevity. Stress is one of the things that can shorten telomeres over time. So it was surprising to find that the stress of long-term space travel did not seem to negatively affect Scott Kelly's telomeres.

At Instapundit (https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/) where I found the link to this story a potential future space industry was proposed along the lines of folks maybe taking trips into space to experience micro-gravity as a way to treat aging? Hmmmm
Old 02-01-17, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Read this article if you want to have your mind blown as it reiterates just how strange our Universe is and just how much we don't know about it:

http://www.sciencealert.com/an-unexp...2-million-km-h

Check out the videos embedded within as they are also fascinating. BTW the gist of this article is:

In front of us, there's a dense supercluster of galaxies some 650 million light-years away called the Shapley Concentration, and it's pulling us towards it. Behind us, scientists have found evidence of a previously unknown region of space that's almost entirely devoid of galaxies, and it's pushing us away with incredible force.

This vast, empty region of space has been dubbed the "Dipole Repeller" and it's pushing us at 1.2 million mph through space towards the "Shapley Concentration". Sounds like the plot to science fiction novel!

As an aside, the scale of what they are talking about here is beyond comprehension. Sure you can read the words in the story but the sheer size of what they're talking about.............
Old 02-06-17, 02:55 PM
All Yappi

Here's an interesting article on plans to send a probe to alpha Centauri using a solar sail.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...lpha-centauri/

Here's the plan in a nutshell:

Breakthrough Starshot's design is a tiny micro-spacecraft attached to a solar sail. Solar sails don't actually need the Sun; they can accelerate by using light from any source. So, Breakthrough Starshot hopes to have an array of lasers give the sail and its spacecraft a boost up to 20 percent of the speed of light. That will get the spacecraft to Proxima Centauri, the closest star. Data will get back while most of the principals involved in the work are still alive.

The article also outlines some of the formidable obstacles even a probe faces in making this journey.
Old 02-07-17, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Who talks to themselves more, lotr or ep?
Old 02-07-17, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Some Mars findings from NASA's Curiosity Rover ...

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.ph...yNQ.hackernews
Old 02-07-17, 10:43 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Why is this thread 12 pages long?
Old 02-07-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Some Mars findings from NASA's Curiosity Rover ...

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.ph...yNQ.hackernews
Awesome picture of the Martian surface. I thought it was amusing how the article was puzzled by certain aspects of the ancient Martian climate. Given we don't understand our own climate all that well is it any surprise we are clueless about the climate of Mars 100,000,000 years ago.

It is interesting that there appeared to be very little CO2 in the atmosphere back then yet the geological evidence clearly supports the existence of liquid water in the form of a lake. Assuming a cooler sun in the past (this IMO is a BIG assumption) the water should have been frozen solid as temperatures would have been way below freezing. It's an interesting paradox.
Old 02-07-17, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Why is this thread 12 pages long?
Why do you care?
Old 02-07-17, 04:11 PM
All World

Can't believe people are that interested in Mars.
Old 02-07-17, 07:14 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Probably because you have no imagination
Old 02-07-17, 07:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Awesome picture of the Martian surface. I thought it was amusing how the article was puzzled by certain aspects of the ancient Martian climate. Given we don't understand our own climate all that well is it any surprise we are clueless about the climate of Mars 100,000,000 years ago.

It is interesting that there appeared to be very little CO2 in the atmosphere back then yet the geological evidence clearly supports the existence of liquid water in the form of a lake. Assuming a cooler sun in the past (this IMO is a BIG assumption) the water should have been frozen solid as temperatures would have been way below freezing. It's an interesting paradox.
That is a great pic of Mars. We're lucky to live in the time where we are getting some truly exceptional pictures of the Solar System's planets, moons, asteroids, etc. When I was a kid, we didn't have anything like these close-up pictures. A few examples are the very recent images of Pluto, Charon and some earlier pictures of the Jovian moons taken by "New Horizons". Beautiful.

Can't believe there are people that are not interested.
Old 02-07-17, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Can't believe people are that interested in Mars.
This thread has evolved beyond being only about Mars and is addressing space fight/science in general.
Old 02-07-17, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
That is a great pic of Mars. We're lucky to live in the time where we are getting some truly exceptional pictures of the Solar System's planets, moons, asteroids, etc. When I was a kid, we didn't have anything like these close-up pictures. A few examples are the very recent images of Pluto, Charon and some earlier pictures of the Jovian moons taken by "New Horizons". Beautiful.

Can't believe there are people that are not interested.
Yea I keep looking at that picture - the clarity of the details are astonishing. It's like someplace in Nevada or New Mexico!
Old 02-07-17, 09:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Probably because you have no imagination
Perhaps. I am more concerned with practical matters. Carry on.
Old 02-07-17, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
The pic of Mars was pretty sweet though.
Old 02-08-17, 08:49 AM
All Yappi

Reading this article on quantum states and the cool experimentation being done to explain them is guaranteed to make your head explode:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20170...ntum-loophole/

I've read this twice and am still trying to figure out exactly what they're saying. Suffice it say that it's very weird and that this stuff will be the foundation of the next round of amazing scientific breakthroughs. Here's a key part:

The universe might be like a restaurant with 10 menu items, Friedman said. “You think you can order any of the 10, but then they tell you, ‘We’re out of chicken,’ and it turns out only five of the things are really on the menu. You still have the freedom to choose from the remaining five, but you were overcounting your degrees of freedom.” Similarly, he said, “there might be unknowns, constraints, boundary conditions, conservation laws that could end up limiting your choices in a very subtle way” when setting up an experiment, leading to seeming violations of local realism.

The idea that nature might restrict freedom while maintaining local realism has become more attractive in light of emerging connections between information and the geometry of space-time. Research on black holes, for instance, suggests that the stronger the gravity in a volume of space-time, the fewer bits can be stored in that region. Could gravity be reducing the number of possible measurement settings in Bell tests, secretly striking items from the universe’s menu?

Huh?

BTW, in addition to it's links to current affairs articles, Instapundit links to some great tech stories:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/
Old 02-08-17, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

You're not alone. ^ Einstein spent pretty much the last 25 years of his life trying to disprove the quantum theory because it makes no sense
Old 02-12-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Among the nearest two planets to Earth it looks like Venus is going to get some much needed scrutiny to:

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has...-that-is-venus

I was surprised when I read this part:

Consider this: the longest-lasting probe that made it to the surface of Venus survived for a grand total of 2 hours and 7 minutes before its circuits were fried. Nope, Venus's scorchingly hot, corrosive, and heavy atmosphere isn't exactly inviting – but new electronics developed by NASA could give us our best chance yet of studying this toxic hellhole up close.

I knew Venus had crappy weather but this seems a bit much!
Old 02-12-17, 04:32 PM
All Yappi

Meanwhile out among the moons of Jupiter:

https://thespacereporter.com/2017/02...s-moon-europa/

with more info here:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/19...alien-life.htm

If we can actually drill down to that big sea under Europa we may finally have the answer to just how rare life is. As the 2nd article notes:

The extraterrestrial world of Europa is considered as among the most likely places in the solar system to have the ability to support life as we know it. Scientists have gathered evidence that the salty ocean that lurks beneath the icy crust of the moon could be hospitable to life. Recent models also hint that the icy world can produce oxygen and hydrogen, which suggests it may have the necessary energy to support life.

Thanks to Intapundit for linking to the original article:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/
Old 02-12-17, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Scroll slowly, the guy makes some pretty snarky comments. I really like these "perspective" things. Don't miss the light speed switch in the lower left corner.

If the Moon Were One Pixel
Old 02-13-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

On exploring the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri ...

http://www.space.com/35669-breakthro...e=notification
Old 02-13-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Scroll slowly, the guy makes some pretty snarky comments. I really like these "perspective" things. Don't miss the light speed switch in the lower left corner.

If the Moon Were One Pixel
That was very cool and yes it illustrates nicely just how big the solar system is. But I would suggest that the world looked even bigger to King Edward the first in 1300 then the Solar System does to a Yappster in 2017!
Old 02-13-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
On exploring the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri ...

http://www.space.com/35669-breakthro...e=notification
We tend to forget that "braking" at the end of the journey will always be the hardest part of this kind of trip.

The other critical element of a journey to Alpha Centauri will be the blow back if we find a "habitable" world there. That would kick off the greatest space race in the history of the world.
Old 02-13-17, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That was very cool and yes it illustrates nicely just how big the solar system is. But I would suggest that the world looked even bigger to King Edward the first in 1300 then the Solar System does to a Yappster in 2017!
Small enough for him to kick the Jews off the island and chase them on a Crusade.

Eratosthenes didn't need to guess in 200 BC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: