Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-03-17, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Defunct Cincinnati Football Stadiums

Was thinking recently about with school closings, consolidations, improvements etc. that there are vacant lots, housing developments, retail locations that all sit on the sites that were once filled with cheering fans, marching bands, thrilling victories and agonizing defeats.

Interested mainly in Greater Cincinnati but welcome any others Yappsters who want to share-what stadiums did you maybe grow up with, play at, etc. that have since been torn down, relocated etc.? Or maybe it has been repurposed and is now being used as a middle school field etc.

If you have pictures to share from their heydays that would be awesome!

I'll start with a few:

Aiken-my dad who is an alum always called in Mile Low Stadium but I believe they moved on to Stargel downtown well before the original was bulldozed.

Amelia-is West Clermont Middle now using the field?

Courter Tech-sat where Cincinnati State is currently located. Not sure where the stadium technically sat-is likely now a parking lot or a building constructed after it's demolition. I believe several CPS schools played there along with LaSalle at one point?

Forest Park-I believe the location has always been Winton Woods' home field with some upgrades over the years?

Glen Este-will be bulldozed (if it hasn't already?) for whatever Union Township is going to have for it.

Greenhills-I believe has been used since the creation of Winton Woods CSD for their middle school?

(Presplit) Lakota: Is now used by Lakota West Freshmen and maybe leased out to other teams?

Mt. Healthy-played at Morris Field for years until they moved to current location. Always thought it was pretty awesome how they were able to build the new Junior/Senior High on property that was basically next door to the previous high school on Adams. I believe that Mt. Healthy Primary South was build on the old Morris Field site?

Talwanda: built a nice new stadium on campus with the new high school. I think Miami University owns the land where the old

Taylor-the original stadium I assume is still there in North Bend on the campus of the original high school? It had the distinctive elevated I believe upper left corner in the East endzone?

Some others: Talawanda, Hamilton Garfield,
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Was thinking recently about with school closings, consolidations, improvements etc. that there are vacant lots, housing developments, retail locations that all sit on the sites that were once filled with cheering fans, marching bands, thrilling victories and agonizing defeats.

Interested mainly in Greater Cincinnati but welcome any others Yappsters who want to share-what stadiums did you maybe grow up with, play at, etc. that have since been torn down, relocated etc.? Or maybe it has been repurposed and is now being used as a middle school field etc.

If you have pictures to share from their heydays that would be awesome!

I'll start with a few:

Aiken-my dad who is an alum always called in Mile Low Stadium but I believe they moved on to Stargel downtown well before the original was bulldozed.

Amelia-is West Clermont Middle now using the field?

Courter Tech-sat where Cincinnati State is currently located. Not sure where the stadium technically sat-is likely now a parking lot or a building constructed after it's demolition. I believe several CPS schools played there along with LaSalle at one point?

Forest Park-I believe the location has always been Winton Woods' home field with some upgrades over the years?

Glen Este-will be bulldozed (if it hasn't already?) for whatever Union Township is going to have for it.

Greenhills-I believe has been used since the creation of Winton Woods CSD for their middle school?

(Presplit) Lakota: Is now used by Lakota West Freshmen and maybe leased out to other teams?

Mt. Healthy-played at Morris Field for years until they moved to current location. Always thought it was pretty awesome how they were able to build the new Junior/Senior High on property that was basically next door to the previous high school on Adams. I believe that Mt. Healthy Primary South was build on the old Morris Field site?

Talwanda: built a nice new stadium on campus with the new high school. I think Miami University owns the land where the old

Taylor-the original stadium I assume is still there in North Bend on the campus of the original high school? It had the distinctive elevated I believe upper left corner in the East endzone?

Some others: Talawanda, Hamilton Garfield,
Old Taylor field is no longer there.

Galbraith Field was a blast from the past.

West Hi's field has been rebuilt and relocated slightly. It used to go over the top of the old baseball field, lots of dirt when we played on it. It used to have a dirt track too if I am not mistaken. It is lots smaller now, but much, much nicer.

I do believe Woodward had a field at the old school; that was so long ago, that perhaps I imagined that.

Did CAPE have a field?
Old 11-03-17, 08:49 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post

West Hi's field has been rebuilt and relocated slightly. It used to go over the top of the old baseball field, lots of dirt when we played on it. It used to have a dirt track too if I am not mistaken. It is lots smaller now, but much, much nicer.

I do believe Woodward had a field at the old school; that was so long ago, that perhaps I imagined that.

Did CAPE have a field?
Woodward did. I remember when it was either Woodward or the Taft Game vs Anderson that had to be moved to Anderson due to glass on the field.
Old 11-03-17, 09:09 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Back in the day, Summit Country Day's end zone corners used to carry over to the asphalt track. is that still the case? It was a grass field with astroturf corners.
Old 11-03-17, 09:11 AM
All World

Lockland's was an old school WPA era stadium. Very quaint. I hope it is still around.
Old 11-03-17, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

Lockland's old school stadium is still there. It could use a locker room upgrade for visitors, no AC, it's an oven in there.
Old 11-03-17, 09:16 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Courter Tech's stadium was called Trechter Stadium. My uncle played center in that stadium for Courter. It was nice. The parking garage occupies that site now.

I remember the first time I visited Aiken. I thought it was very cool how that stadium sat down the hill.

Taylor's entire property was leveled. When they closed the school they moved some of the dirt from the end zone hill to the new complex and built a small memorial to the old oddity.
Old 11-03-17, 09:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Lockland's was an old school WPA era stadium. Very quaint. I hope it is still around.
Roettger Stadium is still around! I would imagine it's the same one you are referring to.

Lockland High School and Moeller play there. Has hosted playoff games, too.

The Bengals community fund fairly recently helped to pay for a new artificial field.

Was actually named after my brother in law's great grandfather so I've got to hear some neat stories. They have a cartoon drawing of Coach Roettger pushing pins into a Reading Blue Devil voodoo doll hanging up in their man cave.
Old 11-03-17, 09:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Roettger Stadium is still around! I would imagine it's the same one you are referring to.

Lockland High School and Moeller play there. Has hosted playoff games, too.

The Bengals community fund fairly recently helped to pay for a new artificial field.

Was actually named after my brother in law's great grandfather so I've got to hear some neat stories. They have a cartoon drawing of Coach Roettger pushing pins into a Reading Blue Devil voodoo doll hanging up in their man cave.
Great info. Thanks. I did not know that Moeller played there. I haven't been there in nearly 30 years.
Old 11-03-17, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My first-grader played there this year and it was a mess. Aside from being a dump, the grass field had a giant mountain down the middle of the field that just tripped up the kids.

Hopefully the Glen Este youth program can use West Clermont going forward.

Quote:

The stadium is gone, as is the high school. My church across the street has a parking lot there, a shelter and some other things. The old concrete visitor stands and some steps remain.

The old scoreboard was moved to the area right behind Nick's American Cafe down the street.
Old 11-03-17, 09:43 AM
All Ohio

Carrolldad is on a distinguished road
My first experience with Lockland's Roettger field was sitting on the visitor side with my father watching future Buckeye and NFL player Mike Sensibaugh in the mid 60's. I was 9 or 10 at the time. Games were played later into November back then with no playoffs. The visitor side sits next to the Millcreek and could be a lot colder than the home side. I remember my father crumpling newspaper in my shoe and setting it on fire to warm my shoes (feet out of course).
Old 11-03-17, 10:32 AM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
Courter Tech's stadium was called Trechter Stadium. My uncle played center in that stadium for Courter. It was nice. The parking garage occupies that site now.

I remember the first time I visited Aiken. I thought it was very cool how that stadium sat down the hill.

Taylor's entire property was leveled. When they closed the school they moved some of the dirt from the end zone hill to the new complex and built a small memorial to the old oddity.
I have similar memories of Courter Tech and Aiken. CT had a great stadium along with the field that was always in great shape. The stadium seating was also big but I don't know capacity. I liked walking down the hill to Aiken stadium. With a little money they could have made that place special.
Old 11-03-17, 10:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post

Love hearing stories like that! In my opinion it's what makes high school (really community pride) sports so great!
Old 11-03-17, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oucats82 View Post

some others: Talawanda, hamilton garfield,
How safe could that have been back in the day?

There was a similar thread for NEO too and some of the cool aspects for these old stadiums were concrete stands and roofs over them. Are there any pics with these details? Here is a pic of old Cleveland West Tech.

Old 11-03-17, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
I remember when West-Hi used to have the pitcher's mound in the endzone.
Old 11-03-17, 11:13 AM
All District

wideout4life is on a distinguished road
I graduated from Aiken and I loved playing at our stadium down under,hated walking up the hill after practice though, the shortcuts were a workout in itself. Mt healthy's old field had a downward slope in one of the end zones.
Old 11-03-17, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
I remember when West-Hi used to have the pitcher's mound in the endzone.
I played a freshman game on that field! Back then we thought it was kind of cool like playing in old Candlestick or Joe Robbie Stadium.
Old 11-03-17, 11:27 AM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
A lot of memories from Galbraith field. We(Kings) played all of our pee wee games there then used it as our home field on varsity in 03 and 04 when our field had lead contamination.
Old 11-03-17, 11:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
How safe could that have been back in the day?

There was a similar thread for NEO too and some of the cool aspects for these old stadiums were concrete stands and roofs over them. Are there any pics with these details? Here is a pic of old Cleveland West Tech.

Those covered grandstands are a cool throwback. They are still very common in the Pacific Northwest because of the fall rainy season. st

The only stadium close to Cincinnati that has one that I am familiar with is Batesville High School in Indiana. It's roughly in between Cincy and Indy and can be seen easily on I-74.

Here's the best pic I could find:

Old 11-03-17, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
There are still some active covered stadiums around Ohio. Some that jump off the top of my head are Ironton Tank:

North Canton

Chagrin Falls

Massillon
Old 11-03-17, 12:35 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Martins Ferry and Bridgeport.
Old 11-03-17, 12:41 PM
All Region

Stow78alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lockland's old school stadium is still there. It could use a locker room upgrade for visitors, no AC, it's an oven in there.

That was less of a problem in the old days when you started after Labor Day and everyone played into November - lol
Old 11-03-17, 01:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stow78alum View Post
That was less of a problem in the old days when you started after Labor Day and everyone played into November - lol
So to what you said there-in the pre playoff era: were teams able to have a more flexible schedule of when they would play games?

Could they have a week off here or there between games?

I know that there are some Thanksgiving Day rivalries that were once very common. The one I am most familiar with was Elder vs. West High (Western Hills).
Old 11-03-17, 01:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stow78alum View Post
Agreed. My experience was a week 1 game where it was blistering hot. I believe we were in the first game of a double header there, so middle afternoon and just terrible. Refs & officials from Lockland kept telling us we had to be in locker room before the game and during half time. We were trying to sit in a shady area off the one endzone, but were forced into the "oven." Not an experience that I enjoyed. Beautiful facility though. I wish I was around when the later season kickoff time was a thing.
Old 11-03-17, 01:29 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Trechter stadium pictures

https://cinstatearchives.files.wordp...09/photo-0.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UPLqWAgAi...0/trechter.jpg

http://cinstatearchives.files.wordpr...to8_campus.jpg
Old 11-03-17, 01:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Wow neat pic-not a lot has changed in that area really besides the stadium.

Do you know how many years La Salle played there?
Old 11-03-17, 02:27 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Only one other stadium I've seen with a similar slope, though not nearly as severe.

Titusville (PA)'s Carter Field. It's an odd layout that it's two small bleachers on either side and one really large, concrete stand behind the north endzone climbing the hill to the road. I'm guessing due to the concrete abutment that makes up the bottom of the bleacher (and yes, those steps are where fans get in and out of the stadium just feet from the endline), they sloped the field up to that corner. The slope is much less noticeable further across the endline.

However, I found out they're going to be getting turf and have no idea how they plan to lay it out with the stadium right there and that being the only way in or out of the stadium. And there's no room to shift the field away from that stand as there's a rock wall against the other endzone that requires fans to move from side to side to actually leave the original footprint of the stadium.

All in all, it's an unusual design.

(interesting note about Carter Field, it's where John Heisman played high school football. It's amazing they didn't name the field/stadium after him, though).
Old 09-08-18, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

TWILLKE is on a distinguished road
Do not forget Colerain. They played at the original high school which is now where the middle school is has now being used as the soccer field or it was a few years ago have been there lately
Old 09-08-18, 02:13 PM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Did CAPE have a field?
C.A.P.E. used the no-longer-existing CTC field (now Cincinnati State) for their home games.
Old 09-08-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Aiken was where my brother played in the 80's. They had very good teams back then. Competing and winning vs GCL AND GMC type teams. Back then the called the stadium the Pit. Also was known as The Valley or Death Valley. What a unique place to have football games. The stadium sat down a big hill with woods surrounding it! You could see many different animals on any given day. The stadium was demolished when the original Aiken School was demolished. A school nature reserve is there now. A football field was built in q former back parking lot at the school. It is only good for lower level games.

The old Greenhills stadium was being used by the Winton Woods schools for Middle school games and varsity soccer. When Winton Woods made improvements to the stadium at the High School, everything was moved there. The old Green Hills Stadium will be bull dozed soon because there will be a new elementary school at the Green Hills high school site.