Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-03-18, 09:56 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
5 months to go until players need to be ready to go for camp and win or lose jobs . A lot of improvement can happen in 5 months , how hard will kids work and how focused on the process of improvement will the players be will determine outcomes in close games .

Schedule isn't easy to start as Rocks play 4 play-off teams out of their first 5 opponents . Perrysburg one of the largest D-2 schools is a couple years removed from being a top team, but will be better this year , Rocks have some of the same physical advantages though and should be fine at home vs this club. Rolled last year without their top running back { Cam Scott} and one of the top Rising Juniors in the state in Mike Drennan .

Jerome follows and while the Celtics don't have as much talent as the Rocks do, they work their azzes off with the steel ,and have a focused plan and process and have a really good young HC and staff and well it's Coffman the emotions will run high and this game will be well attended and great for the community . These same district match-ups at this point with the problem of less revenue due to dwindling attendance can be a real boon to the budget.

This game will garner a lot of local attention and is always good for the district , Jerome numbers are rising a bit and eventually it is said will close in on Coffman's numbers? Not sure but the Celtic program while not there quite yet{ Liberty blowout kind of made that clear} is going in a positive direction and the Rocks will have to play well here.

Gahanna returns to the schedule for the third year in a row as does Olentangy coming right after them in week 4 .

The Lions return a real handful at QB in Mike Lowery, a rare 4 year starter at the varsity level . Mike as many might remember started his career at Pick North and saw action after then Soph Jimmy Weirick got hurt . Weirick also saw some starter action at North as a young Frosh pup.

Lowery gave Rocks some fits his Soph year on a hot night in Gahanna in 2016 , but Rocks offense was too much for the Lions as big plays doomed them and the Rocks also made some plays on defense to seal the comfortable win .

Last year was a different story , as the Lions with a more polished and accurate Lowery along with Senior Receiver David Miller and Senior Transfer Speedster Jerome Bruckner and talented Junior RB Justus Harris moved the ball really well taking a two score lead into Halftime at Coffman Stadium.

Rocks came out with a different attitude and basically after a highlight reel interception in the back of the end zone by Frosh All American AJ Kirk which prevented Gahanna from putting an early nail in the coffin , ran the ball down their throats with Cam Scott leading the way with help from Gavin Sturdivant the Rocks basically controlled the clock scored points and won at the line of scrimmage on both sides for a while .

Rocks as they did in multiple games had a chance to seal a victory with the offense running out the clock , but a costly penalty and a bit of conservatism , and a missed throw to an open receiver gave the ball back to the Lions who went down and scored to Senior transfer { Columbus academy } Bruckner getting behind Rocks secondary in the last minute . Great effort , nice adjustments in the second half but not enough .

Gahanna it must be noted isn't the biggest up front on defense and lose their best D-lineman / Tight End / H-back /blocking back Carter Johnson whose family decided to " move" to Pickerington so Karter will line up on defense with the defending D-1 champ Tigers his Senior season, file under a good thing young Karter's family didn't decide to move to Nerk or Logan lol. BIG LOSS for the Lions .

Always talent over there , but Lions may be in a rebuild situation at receiver , but Rocks have some atonement motivation in the secondary , but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions feature RB Harris heavily in the 2018 match-up.

Olentangy got revenge and then some from the 2016 31-0 beating they took, as they won both games vs the Rocks in 2017. First one they dominated the last 15 minutes of the game and came away with a well deserved 31-14 beat-down over in Lewis Center . Rocks were winning and moved into Tangy territory and a 55 yard fumble return for a TD by Tangy changed the momentum and Tangy pretty much dominated from there .

Second game was a gut punch , one of the worst losses I have seen as a Rock supporter . Rocks came out and pretty much controlled the first half totally shutting down the Braves to take a 10-0 half time lead . Rocks had a few opportunity's to move that score higher { Multiple possessions in Braves territory, missed a wide open by 15 yards receiver who would have walked in etc} and you couldn't help but think that may be it could come back to haunt them .

Well that's what I thought , because the disparity in play was greater than 10-0 and you knew a very well coached Tangy team with talent would adjust and score in the second half . Well they did , they scored 28 points in the second half, a surreal occurrence if you had witnessed the first half .

Rocks tacked on two more TD'S themselves and had a chance to run the clock out AGAIN and didn't do it, Tangy took the momentum had good field position and threw the ball over the Rocks head with a Freshman Middleton scoring the wining TD in the last 25 seconds from 30 + yards out , OUCH , brutal loss , controlled the game for about 42 minutes , last 6? not so much . I didn't notice any real physical fatigue being the reason for these late losses to Olentangy squared and Gahanna but it is something that should be looked into certainly and may be up their game conditioning wise for the 2018 season ?

Secondary should be better and certainly is more experienced so we should expect an improvement ? Tangy has a SR QB coming back [Haag} who played his Soph year lost his job last year and unless they brought someone else in he should be the guy . He will have a nice stable of playmakers to utilize in the aforementioned Soph to be Middleton { 6-4 hoops build} a beast at TE in 6-4 250 pound Ian Drummond and a excellent athlete { OSU baseball ?? } in 6-0 185 Caden Kaiser out wide. BIG challenge for the Rocks defense and especially the secondary .

Pick North follows and I assume they are brining in a QB and I think I heard that they did ?? Lose a lot of their pieces including obviously Jimmy Football but North always is a challenge and always has athletic talent , don't know a ton of what they have coming back but I know they lost some very good talent . Rebuild? PC insider Walt among others is bearish on North going forward ?

League play of course follows this five game opening and hopefully the Rocks won't be required to run that table in order to make the play-offs but ? I think a lot depends on the work and development and embracing the process the Rocks apply themselves to .

Looking at the league teams and some college Rocks in next post .
Old 03-03-18, 12:06 PM
All American

Shout out to Rocks hoops team who got by Jerome again at this stage of the game , this time a lot more comfortably with Sr. Nick Carlson having may be his best game this season with 16 points, and Jr. rising star Derek Van Vlerah having a great overall game with 13 points and 12 boards and is a very good defender who gets the toughest assignments most nights and is a long athletic player { High jumper in track } .

Soph Star Dom Penn chipped in 11 with many well timed bombs as it was clear that Jerome was focused on his output and his steady play made the others better and productive .

2014 rematch vs a good Newark squad at a similar point of the proceedings { Rocks downed favored Nerk} in what looks like a nice even match-up.

UA looms as it appears they are poised to end Northland's season for what seems to be the 12th time recently { 4 times if they roll and I believe they will } and the Rocks of course have to take care of business In a losable game vs Nerk but if they do an epic third match up with the Bears beckons ?? Rocks have lost the two previous meetings in excruciating fashion having leads late in both before losing on last second threes.

Girls hoops is poised to get back to the regional level again{ Has to beat Westy South Ibbies} where they lost in the finals last year vs Newark , after beating PC who is excellent this year hammering 1st seeded Newark late in the year , on a three at the buzzer by Ohio State commit Jacy Sheldon that broke a tie game . PC is really good as is Newark and R-Burg, Coffman has a shot , but it is an evenly matched CO this year at the top .

It's been a very solid Winter season for Rocks programs overall . In addition to the hoops teams , both boys and girls Swimming teams finished as the top Central Ohio teams at the state meet, which has never happened before for the Rocks . UA has ruled that roost for years.

Wrestling in a somewhat rebuild has done very well winning the Central beating Marysville in a razor close finish , I thin M-Ville who is higher ranked had some guys out ? I really don't know but was surprised at that result , I am sure some out here who may read this know?

Anyway, Sr. Murray lost a tough decision in his second match at 113 but has a great chance to qualify for the state meet as he won his first losers bracket match and is favored to place third and obviously qualify . Frosh Baumann at 106 , Sr. Yost at 145 and Jr. Wolak at 182 are all through to the Semifinals .

Rocks are on the young side and in definite rebuild mode , so no there won't be a mass shouting of ' SHHHHHAAAAAAMMMMROCK " from the Rocks faithful as I know many wrestling fans thought was just so adorable a couple of years ago ? OK fellas, I don't want those veins popping out as I know they tend to do when discussing anything Coffman. lol

4 qualifiers seems reasonable here and I think they will be solid next year as well with a probable two state qualifiers back next season is a decent place to start , not top tier but solid.

Forgot to mention that Olentangy's excellent staff gets even stronger as a definite Hall OF famer in John Magistro joins Mark Solis's staff . Magistro as most know stepped down at Westy Central , I knew he was likely not finished coaching and had one more job in him, I didn't think or see coming him joining another staff . Nice addition to say the least to the Braves staff. I don't think that the Braves will be terribly hurt this year from the opening of Berlin, but it appears soon enough they might be ?

College Rocks at the D-1 level are possibly poised to rise in the depth charts? Red Shirt Soph QB Gunnar Hoak at Kentucky is right there at the top right now with a great chance to win the job in the spring. He was the player of the game in last spring 's game but vet Johnson was firmly entrenched as the guy.

Johnson is graduated and 5th year guy Drew Barker decided not to come back , so Gunnar has a really good chance or starting or at the very least some some time next season. Massillon and Hoban QB and former OSU commit Danny Clark is down there but is third on the chart right now I believe.

LB Griffin Grady who didn't redshirt as a frosh as he was a number two due to injuries, is kind of stuck behind a couple of long term vets , 5th year guys , still a number two but starting to run out of years ? A bit undersized at inside LB for this program , he could start for a host of solid power five teams but at Wiscky the LB'S stay forever it seems and they are good and well coached . You better like the school and academics at this level because it is COMPETITIVE and you may not ever start . I think eventually Grady will start but without a red shirt year it may not be until next year which will be his last of eligibility .

OT - Left Tackle Alex Gellerstadt with be the number two Left tackle it seems at the start of Spring ball , he did redshirt his Frosh year so he has three years left , but the kid above him also has three years left? Could he move to right tackle? Who knows , can he possibly beat out the kid above him ? Perhaps, I suppose, I do know the coaches and James Franklin himself have sung his praises and like his potential .

Looking at the league foes in terms of next season and Rocks are at least as good as all of them I believe , but UA and Davidson are capable of beating them in 2018 so a lot more work to do and improvements to be made because you know those clubs are really getting after it in the off-season as are most of the Rocks opponents.

Taking an initial look at them now .
Old 03-08-18, 05:53 PM
All American

Props to the basketball team that got the losing close games at the end to good teams. Two UA games they lead late and in the aggregate last two minutes of both games were outscored badly. Had Pick North on the ropes and lost in triple OT.

Controlled the first half last night , were up 8 and at the line missed a couple and Newark banked in a half court shot, 5 point game. Lost the lead in the 4th late . Under a half a minute Down a point with the ball Dom Penn the special Soph got to the line drained both . Nerk had the ball with plenty of time to score the winning basket , a HUGE defensive steal by Will Hunter on Nerk star Shumate resulted in a lay -up at the other end with less than 2 seconds left , Nerk called a TO they didn't have and that was that .

HUGE win ,, of course UA with Gatorade player of the year Dane Goodwin looms, , Rocks had UA dead to rights TWICE and lost on buzzer beating three's both games . UA has bee a better team by a small margin over the course of the year , but the Rocks are obviously in their league and capable of beating them. But Goodwin is a great HS player 6-5 with guard skills , forward size and a leader that gives the rest of the kids confidence and makes them better. Max Martz is a Junior and an Ivy league level player and is a force at this level .

Rocks look to get a huge win on their third try on Saturday at 1.30 at ODU . Girls lost to upstart Westerville South who has been coming on the last two years, " Adding " some key pieces including 6-3 Soph Hutcherson who was the difference in their win two nights ago vs Nerk with a monster game. Hutcherson came from Westy North . North also lost a good player to Gahanna.

Boys and girls hoops can be a game of musical chairs at times as we have seen Pick North and Central add key pieces many times from the local area . It seems almost necessary to achieve some greater success these days.

Coffman benefits from Sheldon's dad getting the AD job no question as she is a true difference maker, but I can't remember a transfer { Someone who didn't start school at Coffman from day one but came and joined the team after starting somewhere else} who made an impact on either the boys or girls team ? May be the 'fans" OF Coffman out here can correct me? I think there was a girld whose family moved from the Cleveland area when she was in 8th grade{ Bailey } but it was a job transfer not to play basketball at Coffman, like a R-Burg or Gahanna move to Pickerington or Westerville say.

Anyway South is GOOD, Boys got their title a couple years back and I expect the girls to get one at some point , may be they are " ADDING a key piece away ?

Disappointing wrestling results for a couple Coffman kids who I thin had state qualifying ability . Bauman and Murray at the lower weights were denied and lost coming in 5th . Bauman wil likely get there as he is a Frosh Murray is done and graduates .

Wolak at 182 and Yost at 145 placed second each and are going and props to them . Not mentioned as contenders but a great accomplishment in this state .

Scioto finishing ahead of Coffman and UA coming on as a program is to be commended, although dual meet wise both aren't as good as Coffman is , but good luck to all the kids from the area especially the more local kids from here [IRISH BEARS ET AL }
Old 03-11-18, 06:45 PM
All American

Big weekend for Coffman basketball as they continued their growth as a team getting the Upper Arlington monkey off their backs with a resounding impressive victory.

Sophomore guard and wizard Dom Penn etched his name into Coffman basketball lore with a audacious display of talent , and was in total control for the full duration.

A dizzying array of jab steps, silky change of pace drives, pull up's and clever finishes at the rack left UA often grasping for air if not straws going for 30 , after Coffman in the previous two meetings averaged low 40's as a team.

Put the team on his back, and made and had his signature moment as a Coffman player . The type of performance that will be talked about in any discussion of the Coffman basketball programs best efforts .

It's deeply carved into Rocks hoops history, PERIOD ! Now being a bit familiar with the Penn hoops history , his Dad Scoonie probably one ups him at this point in terms of individual game performances with his ridiculous 53 points playing for his Salem Massachusetts HS team vs. a very good Peabody team , that was in the regular season though, { Peabody was D-1 Salem was D-2 } in a game where he didn't have his running mate and second best Salem player . Still talked about this many years later as is his leading Salem to a perfect box to wire 25-0 mark and a D-2 title in 1995.

Dom has two years left and seeing his game develop this year and the work ethic he shows to keep improving has to be inspiring to his teammates as the team is rounding into form and peaking at the right time . beating Jerome was expected but the margin was an eye brow raiser for me , and the ability to close out a very good team in the last minute { Newark} when that had been a struggle for them is also encouraging.

PC is next and their latest run the last several years including a state title has been remarkable , and this year to get to Regional without great player Jerimiah Francis is really impressive.

PC has ended Coffman's season the last two years , Penn went for 24 last year in losing in the district final , lets hope Dom can produce as he has and others step up a bit a they get a big win. Looks like a good match-up , Rocks aren't overmatched here and again are capable of advancing .

Props to Junior Lennox Wolak who competed well finishing 4th in the State wrestling tourney , lost 3-0 in the third place match but won three matches and did well and is likely to stay at 182 and has potential for a higher finish next year.
Old 03-15-18, 03:11 PM
All American

As the Rocks football team hits the weight room hard AS THEY ARE 4 months and change from the start of camp , Rock basketball takes center stage tonight as the guys play in a regional game for the first time since 2014 .

PC has beaten the Rocks the last two seasons at the late district level . Rocks hung in early and for about a half in 2016 before falling by 17 and lost a closer one last year but was never in position to win as PC held then off despite 24 from them Freshman Dom Penn.

Penn was of course spectacular last Saturday vs UA and I think PC might just try to take him away a bit get the ball out of his hands more , we'll see . Coffman matches up better this year with PC especially with Jerry Francis out as he ahs been all year really. But PC is hot and has athletes as always. Rock swill have to adjust to this style and the athletes they have. Coffman has a few very fluid athletic kids as well led by Penn of course .

Rocks will have to hold own on boards play with tremendous effort and finish inside when they get the chance . Been a good season , it will be better than that if they can get the W tonight GO ROCKS
Old 03-15-18, 09:21 PM
All District

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
As the Rocks football team hits the weight room hard AS THEY ARE 4 months and change from the start of camp , Rock basketball takes center stage tonight as the guys play in a regional game for the first time since 2014 .

PC has beaten the Rocks the last two seasons at the late district level . Rocks hung in early and for about a half in 2016 before falling by 17 and lost a closer one last year but was never in position to win as PC held then off despite 24 from them Freshman Dom Penn.

Penn was of course spectacular last Saturday vs UA and I think PC might just try to take him away a bit get the ball out of his hands more , we'll see . Coffman matches up better this year with PC especially with Jerry Francis out as he ahs been all year really. But PC is hot and has athletes as always. Rock swill have to adjust to this style and the athletes they have. Coffman has a few very fluid athletic kids as well led by Penn of course .

Rocks will have to hold own on boards play with tremendous effort and finish inside when they get the chance . Been a good season , it will be better than that if they can get the W tonight GO ROCKS

Central face guarded Penn all night. Dublinís coaches were content to play 4 on 4. Not sure what they were thinking as there isnít much talent other than Penn.
On a side note, I saw a kid from Coffman training with a QB coach. Big kid with a cannon. Looks good especially if he improves his accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-18, 03:48 AM
All American

obviously did a great job on Penn, he scored 24 last year vs PC mostly from the outside , but props to PC, it is truly a basketball football factory and the best in that two sport combo may be in the state right now, athletes EVERYWHERE and they probably get more to move over there in the next 4-5 years during this era.

Coffman did what it had to do to stay close though 24 minutes but was run out in the last quarter , I think they have some talent other than Penn but not as many athletes as PC obviously , but then again who does ? Wayne ? Playing great peaking and their best player isn't out there? Bradley will paly great defense and limit you guys , not sure you play to that level again two days later but you might not have to to wina close one , I think it is a 3-4 point margin at most .

38 points was disappointing to say the least I hope Van Vlerah is OK
{ went out in the 4th } , he is a very good track athlete as well . Probably their starter Ethan Brown who will be a Senior and first year starter , throws well but accuracy and footwork will need to continue to improve , throws a good deep ball something the Rocks were lacking last year.
Old 04-04-18, 01:50 PM
All American

Former Rocks involved in Spring practices include UK QB Gunnar Hoak who has a real chance to win the starting job this season. The thing with UK is the offense has been tweaked a bit since he was recruited and like most SEC teams they favor a QB that is a strong runner .

Gunnar can run a bit, improved his speed some and can run a little read option but obviously his strength is sitting in the pocket and making reads , his ability to keep his eyes downfield and make accurate throws . He moves well within the pocket which is important . Danny Clark is down there but is new and doesn't know the offense well enough at this point to push seriously for a starting job this year .

Kid named Wilson is a gifted runner a JUCO transfer seems to be the main competition for Gunnar , I think no matter who wins the job Gunnar and or the Wilson kid will get a chance at some point to play. I think especially for QB'S it important to choose a school based on potential to play and get on the field . Cole Stoudt had some trouble at Clemson because they wanted runners, Cole played some had some good moments and was a good program guy but might have played more at a school that didn't need the QB to run so much. Lets hope Gunnar's overall QB acumen and arm talent is enough to get the job.

Griffin Grady at Wisconsin seems to be stuck behind the deepest position at Wisconsin which is Inside LB. I think he eventually gets on the field next year and in his Fifth year. Penn State OL Alex Gellerstadt is well thought of and will likely start at some point but is also stuck behind some good talent at Offensive tackle .

I have heard some good things about the Rocks work ethic in the off-season , need to get everyone to buy in to the culture and become disciplined towards working to the level that will allow them to be the best they can possibly be their full potential . Roughly 4 months of work before Camp opens up .

Got some crap when programs official numbers were posted and it was mentioned that someone was surprised that Coffman's numbers were as high as they were, and I said that the number was a bit skewed seeing as Coffman has a high number of Asian students who as a group play football at much lower levels than other groups.

I mentioned it only because the number percentage wise Dublin has in terms of Asian residents is the highest in Ohio by a decent margin . 17 percent , the next closest is Solon with 12.6 , and then it falls sharply . Powell has a relatively sizeable number as does New Albany , and Hilliard has a decent number as well [6.5 } .

It isn't a racist thing just a thought that the high number is a bit skewed in terms of 'Football " numbers , not some excuse or criticism , just a fact , not a small slight number either compared to others .

Good luck to all former Coffman players who are participating in spring practices at al levels and to the current players reaching their goals in the off-season . It is important to do the work because you know that programs like Davidson and Olentangy to name just two that I know for a fact really get after it with their off-season strength and conditioning programs
Old 04-09-18, 08:07 PM
All American

I'm trying to go 76 posts without a single reply which I am told is a Yappi record . It's get lonely out here sometimes but that record means a lot to me , I was informed by a very high profile poster that I was fast approaching this esteemed accomplishment of non interest .

I apologize for not posting more as I know you guys relish NOT responding to the posts I provide and take pride in that but some others seem to enjoy reading what you deem worth reading but not responding to.

Thanks again for the poster with the 'Talk soup" handle { Tc Soup} for pointing out the the nearing of the record . You see when no one responds to this many posts in a row it usually signifies that no one is reading them , irony here, a lot of people read by don't respond, and god knows we are all the worse for it because so many who read them are a lot smarter than me , I can admit that , it's truly a shame that the people who read don't respond or add , it's a loss for all of us .

Anyway now that the record keeping is done , I think the Rocks as I mentioned before may be best served going to a 4-3 defense this year as the D-Line may have more depth than the LB crew , even with the loss of standouts Bagozzi in the middle and Cummings at DE perhaps the best 5-6 193 pound D-lineman in CO in quite some time.

A few things in the air that may see the defense change up a few things, the secondary is experienced and has potential to be the best unit they have had in quite some time . 2019 team it seems could have a great shot at having as talented a Defensive backfield as the school has ever had .

O-line is going to be BIG and strong this season and has real potential as I have said many times , it' s the next 3 and a half months of footwork 'Work " and overall stamina and improved athleticism that will determine how they will ultimately be perceived and what level their performance gets to.

Drennan is looking really good in the off-season and will surely have a break out season and if healthy will be a very productive player and potential game breaker , if teams look to take him away a bit which they probably will they have some experienced talented guys on the outside that can hurt teams , when they go back to a more normal balanced coverages Donut will hit some homeruns .

Interesting development I may not have mentioned is Olentangy the week 4 opponent has added legend John Magistro to their staff , great coach Mark Solis adding Magistro is piling on a bit no? LOL , Magistro at the point that he can't stop coaching but doesn't want the responsibility of his own program will be a great fit over there , Coffman losing to them twice last year the second one in excruciating fashion will have their hands full at Coffman stadium no question.

Pick North a first time opponent for Coffman is rumored to have a new QB coming in from a smaller school to take snaps after the graduation of what seemed to be lifetime tenured starter Jimmy Football ? Any info is appreciated. OH that's right PLEASE don't respond until I break the record for posts without a response , I feel like I am asking for the antithesis of a movie that I really liked 'Thank you for smoking " when I ask you all NOT to respond so I can break through and get that record .

Last edited by Harrycrane; 04-09-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 08:33 AM
All American

3 months and change before the start of camp . Wow the time flies . Rocks need to finish the off-season strong and the commitment in the weight room from what I have heard is impressive . You know opponents such as Olentangy with Coach Solis pushes it HARD in their conditioning and strength program. Davidson as a program ahs legendary work habits and commitment to name just two opponents .

Rocks need to match that type of effort and they will be in good shape against their schedule . For me a fan I see the key to making sure you make the play-offs is to win your league and go 5-0 again in the Central. I think the absolute worst they do in their 5 non conference games is 2-3 , but I think they can do a bit better there.

Interesting tidbit I came across was from the MSROHIO site run by veteran talent evaluator John McAllister who just released his players to watch in the 2019 class . Now I will preface this by saying this list omits some good players not because John doesn't think they are good but haven't come into his 'ORBIT" .

So the list isn't be all end al by any means or 100 percent definitive of course . But for the first time that I can remember he doesn't have any Coffman players on his Senior watch list . Of course there are some of the under classmen that he holds in high regard but as far as the Seniors go ? Nada , the null set.

Now this group isn't chalk filled with stars , but it is a group that has some very good hard working players who have won coming through the ranks in MS frosh team was pretty good and won the Central , wasn't blowing teams out but was solid. I think this is a group with good potential and with that chip on their shoulder attitude can do some really good things this year .

OL has some Seniors , some who have started and have experience { Zinser Pittro } and some who will be starting for the first time , the other Zinser twin likely would have played last year but got hurt before the season and it was severe enough that he didn't play at all.

I think this unit can set some tones for the group. It will be BIG and while not a heralded unit I believe they really can make an impact . When Coffman O-line play is very good, really good things usually happen for the team .

Some Senior receivers also have potential and while not named on any lists of note, have some ability .

Some Coffman opponents did have guys on John's 2019 list . He lists two Jerome kids. Cam Craig an O-Lineman who goes 6-4 255 and a D-Lineman Tony Gyimah who checks in at about 6 feet 230 . I have seen some of Jerome's action on tape but can't recall these kids .

Gahanna has a handful of kids as usual that have talent and potential . Track Star Lacarr Trent who is small at about 5-8 160 ? But can fly. Of course Mike Lowery at QB will be a headache when Coffman goes over there in week three . Gahanna was dealt a big blow as I have written previously when Karter Johnson a big athletic D-Lineman /TE / FOOTBALL Player , moved to Pickerington for his Senior year and will suit up for the defending State champ PC Tigers .

Other Lions mentioned included their very talented RB Justus Harris who checks in at 6 feet 190 or so . A couple others are mentioned who I don't remember but I have seen the bulk of the Gahanna kids play and that will be a key match-up . That game in particular is a situation where Coffman may have an advantage up front they need to take advantage of . Lions lost some key people to graduation and of course D-1 talent Johnson left for his Senior season.

Pick North has a large handful mentioned and as always the talent level in Pickerington is the best overall in CO and one of the best in al of Ohio from a city school district standpoint , Losing Jimmy Football is huge , but PN is a bit of a re-load program at least lately. Ben Johnson is a good LB at 6-2 205 , Tyler Johnson at 6-4 225 is a good TE . Skill guys Tim Cheatwood a Slot /DB and RB Jaylon Baylor are also good players .

Olentangy I see who has some talent coming back but is rebuilding in a few areas as well , has their talented TE Ian Drummond who is on most lists at 6-4 240 or can be a difference maker .

Davidson has 3 guys mentioned , Ethan Royer a very good all around athlete and three year starter at LB and also plays a little on the offensive side of the ball and probably more athletic than his brother Ryan who was a tremendously productive player and a great leader. Royer pound for pound was one of the toughest competitors that I have seen play. Ethan is a very good player in his own right and should have a great year . RB Jordan Hicks is listed and he is a solid back at 5-9 175 -180 ? Caught a long pass vs. Coffman ,have seen him a few times may be he breaks out a bit this year?

DL Ezirim is taller kid who made a few plays at 6-5 250 as a DE . He has the frame and size, again not someone that stood out that much to me , but this year will likely make more plays .

DE and D-1 recruit Jackson Ness of UA IS another taller kid at a legit 6-5 and played last year at about 230 probably bigger this year ? Closer to 245? Playmaker in their scheme at DE. The only UA kid on John's list .

Scioto who is not on the Rocks schedule this year for the first time since 2012 , has a few kids who of course I have seen and like a lot. RB Kenyon Pannell a talented kid with some speed and enough size to be a difference maker . Legit 6-0 about 190- 195.

QB Kyron Rogers who was injured and didn't play vs Coffman but is a real playmaker and will be fun for the Scioto faithful to watch . 6-1 185? utility Jack of all trades athlete Eric Holsinger has good speed and shake and can cover if used on defense. Played at Sells MS as an open enrollee thinking he would be able to go to Coffman but was told no and now is poised to have an excellent Senior Season making plays for the Irish .

I have heard that Scioto may have lost talented 2021 Devon Williams who was a move in from Maryland and played DE as a Frosh for the Irish at about 6-0 195. he is listed now at closer to 6-2 and 205? He may be over at Coffman now something that will surely fire up a few folks .

I don't remember the last Scioto transfer before this one , the Rocks lost out on two excellent D-1 type athletes in the Henderson twins to Jerome who were at Sells and in the Coffman district for years, this addition of a talented kid like Williams is notable .
Old 04-18-18, 09:19 AM
All American

Now I don't think Many Wayne fans read this space , but a funny aside is that Mcallisters 2019 list with the Wayne kids he lists their school as 'Dayton Wayne "

I wonder if eh picked this up from a Wayne thread where the opposition posters like to poke Wayne fans in the ribs for having many transfers and as a result call them " Dayton Wayne"
Old 04-18-18, 03:53 PM
All District

Aim9Mike is on a distinguished road
Wayne was called "Dayton Wayne" almost its entire history until Huber Heights incorporated some time back. It will always be "Dayton Wayne" to old timers, especially since old man Huber was such a jerk and no one liked living in an area named after him.
Old 04-18-18, 05:08 PM
All American

I have only known it as Huber Heights, but you learn something new everyday. So may be some of the guys who called it that were 'May be" referencing the 'old School" name, but my guess it was Dayton because they get some from around the area to come to Huber Heights .

Kind of looking at Davidson and what they have coming back. They will be much more experienced , they have some god tough players, I suspect that lower yardage per rush will go up and keep the defense off of the field for longer stretches . They have a tough schedule it seems though .
Old 04-19-18, 09:26 AM
All District

I gew up in Huber Heights, Wayne Township, and graduated from Dayton Wayne. Obviously I'd like to see them win a state championship at some point. Unfortunately I haven't followed Davidson as closely as I'd like since my son played and graduated from there. Now that he's graduated from college I'll be watching them more closely and of course relying on you for your always colorful commentary!
Old 04-24-18, 11:12 AM
Freshman

614BUCKNUT is on a distinguished road
I heard from a source out here in Dublin who apparently was told to not say anything, that Drennen and AJ Kirk are about to transfer to IMG Academy in Florida once school is out. If this is true then this (IMO) is going to be a HUGE LOSS for Coffman...Thoughts?
Old 04-24-18, 12:17 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't remember the last Scioto transfer before this one
Marcinek probably. Pretty easy to forget him

Quote:
the Rocks lost out on two excellent D-1 type athletes in the Henderson.
D-1 as in OHSAA D-1 or D-1 as in NCAA D-1 ? If the latter, I'd love to know what a "D-1 type athlete" who doesn't actually go D-1 looks like...
Old 04-24-18, 12:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim9Mike View Post
Wayne was called "Dayton Wayne" almost its entire history until Huber Heights incorporated some time back. .
You are correct that it was widely referred to as "Dayton Wayne" back in the day (and, to your point, still today to many), but before it was "Huber Heights", it was "Wayne Township". And before it was Huber Heights City School District it was Wayne Township Local School District. So, "Dayton" Wayne was never really technically correct. It would be roughly akin to calling Colerain "Cincinnati Colerain".
Old 04-24-18, 08:56 PM
All District

Agreed. But there are so many "Wayne" high schools that "Dayton Wayne" was the most logical and natural to identify which "Wayne", by geographical location, was being referred to. It will always be "Dayton Wayne" to me, and a lot of others.
Old 04-25-18, 03:58 AM
All American

Marcinek was a St Bridgit kid who NEVER set foot in a school across the river , was a very good hockey player , of course he had football in mind as well . I meant someone who actually was in the pipeline or was actually at Scioto .

If that's true of Drennan and Kirk , you wish them well and move along . Both have tons of potential . Not sure that going there appreciably raises their profiles. But the competition is good . They certainly will have many offers regardless . Pretty strong contribution for a first post Bucky . If true no need to be secretive about it though . Not sure why you would be afraid of it getting out there?
Old 04-25-18, 04:10 AM
All American

I suspect that this may not be true about Donut and Kirk . Drennnan is working really hard with his teammates , he is also running track which he doesn't appear to like. So it seems that he is in the fold and is a Coffman guy . Kirk I don't have as good a feeling but my guess he is staying around .

If they aren't and have plans to go down there, they are doing a great job of appearing to be good teammates before they leave. I would lay some dough down on the , They will be on the field at Coffman Stadium wearing Green and Black on Friday August 24th vs Perrysburg
Old 04-25-18, 10:36 AM
Freshman

Hey I'm just stating what I heard from a guy who's apparently very close to Drennen's dad and Kirk's brother (Doss). He also stated that they would've left in April but they didn't want to take them during the 4th grading period. I guess we'll have to wait and see...Don't shoot the messenger lol

Last edited by 614BUCKNUT; 04-25-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 02:45 PM
All American

I have no problem with the messenger at all . You could be right, I don't talk to people who apparently are close to Mr. Drennan Sr. and Mike Doss , so you got me there.

Ok what I do when I see something like this is respond like I usually do , off the top of my head and type what comes to mind first . Sometimes I overlook things , sometimes I'm more on point.

So what I typed was what I thought first. My head went right to their off-season and it appears that they are being good teammates and working hard with the team .

Kirk started his first game for Coffman as a 14 year old, hadn't turned 15 until mid season ? All accounts is he matured on the field and was a good teammate and likes playing in the program.

Drennan had a rough year last year with some injuries and re-injury. Didn't play a lot in a frustrating season .

But he is a total game changer and seems to be working really hard which doesn't prove he is staying pout of course , he is a dedicated talented athlete. who looks great, thicker and stronger and if he does stay will be a huge difference maker obviously.

Then I though a bit more about it and this is what stuck out to me . This , 'the only reason they aren't in Florida know" is because they didn't want to move them in the middle of the 4th term?

Makes no sense at all. Why in the world would you even contemplate a move DURING the school year ? What positives would there be in that ? To play it like they are in the college game and learn the offense and defense getting a head start? really ?

So that reasoning coming from this guy who is '" Close " to the fathers tells me this guy may not have the complete scoop. That explanation as to why they are still in Dublin carries zero weight , increasing the chances that to me anyway this isn't happening . That source seems shaky.

And lastly , Kirk has THREE more years , He is going to play { And pay } to be at IMG for three years? Drennan for two ?

Great talents , hard workers, motivated kids and are big difference makers in the Coffman program , would really miss watching them play. But to leave at this point before either one has even dominated Ohio HS football ? Or made their mark ?

Seems like a flawed plan to me . Make no mistake both will be great this year for Coffman if they stay, but what I said is true. Drennan was a great Frosh , and would have put up some big numbers if he wasn't dinged last year. Kirk ditto GREAT Frosh , tons of potential , but to leave now for both seems may be ill conceived for the aforementioned reasons .
Old 04-25-18, 02:47 PM
All American

Also IMG isn't beholden to transfer rules , leaving earlier doesn't help with eligibility . Don't need the exposure, it isn't as if Coffman doesn't have kids who go through the program who get D-1 offers. Both will have double digit offers if they stay here even just next year.
Old 04-26-18, 11:27 AM
Freshman

First off from what I was told they're getting a full ride scholarship there so they won't be paying a dime.
Secondly, I agree that they don't need the exposure especially Drennen. I honestly believe that if he wouldn't have got hurt last season he definitely would have at least (IMO) 20 offers by now because he's that dynamic. Kirk also will have double digit offers by the end of his sophomore season.

But as a lifelong Coffman supporter, I hope that it's false news
Old 04-26-18, 01:35 PM
All American

Wasn’t thinking anyone really pays that sticker price but nothing is free including a full Scilla . Not paying a dime? Living expenses ? Housing? Academics ? Coaching ? All no charge when put into an equation?

I mean family stays here pays mortgage and bills and provides living expenses in Florida as well for a combined 5 years ? Hey if that what happens and there is such a thing as a free lunch more power to them .

I’m with you both hardly need exposure and I hope it’s not true as well . I still question the source only based on that “ would have been gone already “ quote which is all I have but that made zero sense . Not sure he has the right info
Old 04-26-18, 04:01 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wasnít thinking anyone really pays that sticker price but nothing is free including a full Scilla . Not paying a dime? Living expenses ? Housing? Academics ? Coaching ? All no charge when put into an equation?

I mean family stays here pays mortgage and bills and provides living expenses in Florida as well for a combined 5 years ? Hey if that what happens and there is such a thing as a free lunch more power to them .

Iím with you both hardly need exposure and I hope itís not true as well . I still question the source only based on that ď would have been gone already ď quote which is all I have but that made zero sense . Not sure he has the right info
Not many of the players at IMG pay anything to go to school or to play. They are a scholarship school. IMG is a sports agency that generates hundreds of millions of dollars annually. They own the school and this is their purpose.

The high profile athletes pay nothing, and they will be IMG clients upon leaving college. Now, there are others who are 'looking for a shot at the big time' and yes, they will have to pay.

This is simple information to find out, the Williamson at Westerville South went down a few years ago.
Old 04-26-18, 05:10 PM
All American

I know a bit about that operation and yes marginal and merely “ good” players have to pay depending on what sport. But I did acknowledge even if they basically get a high school” ride” I think there are costs involved regardless. My feeling is this is hype and isn’t going to happen .

I know this is a unique operation , but in most cases if you don’t have a source a good way to find out transfer situations is Hudl pages . Most who will be playing for a new school will move their page to the new school .

Yes this is a different situation of course. 3 months and pennies until camp . Coffman players have worked hard . My old position coach in High school used to be a big boxing fan and boxing was more popular back then as well .

He said that as you hit May , you should train as if you are preparing for a fight like professional boxers do for 2.5 to 3 months pre fight . Train so you show your best from the first drill and take the reason of not being in shape or strong enough off the table.

Most jobs are won in the first two and a half weeks of camp / scrimmage season , or at least you get first chance at it if you impress.

Kids who know they will start need to work out not to make sure you keep your job but prepare to be your absolute best to compete against your toughest competition
Old 04-27-18, 08:47 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614BUCKNUT View Post
Secondly, I agree that they don't need the exposure especially Drennen.
Its not always about "exposure". Marcus Williamson left Westerville South for IMG when he already had a TOSU offer in his pocket and a commitment. My hunch is that they think they can benefit from, essentially, 24x7 training which will help them get a starting nod earlier which will help them get into the NFL earlier. That's the only way the move makes financial sense to me....
Old 04-27-18, 08:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Marcinek was a St Bridgit kid who NEVER set foot in a school across the river , was a very good hockey player , of course he had football in mind as well . I meant someone who actually was in the pipeline or was actually at Scioto .
Does St. Bridgit's, like Sells, feed Coffman? I was unaware of that.

Nonetheless, based upon the number on his family's mail box, he was in the Scioto enrollment area and had to apply for intra-district Open Enrollment in order to attend Coffman. That may not meet your definition of "transfer", but I think it would fit most people's definition.
Old 04-30-18, 11:55 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Its not always about "exposure". Marcus Williamson left Westerville South for IMG when he already had a TOSU offer in his pocket and a commitment. My hunch is that they think they can benefit from, essentially, 24x7 training which will help them get a starting nod earlier which will help them get into the NFL earlier. That's the only way the move makes financial sense to me....
I'm with u on this one that it's probably for the training and the fact that IMG players are usually college ready once they step on campus because of the way they run their program. I've seen videos on YouTube and it looks like the real deal! Also from what I heard, academically their both sound. Word is that Kirk has a 3.4 and Drennen has a 3.8 and has already qualified with a 24 on his ACT. So I'm guessing that it's not for academics but for strictly sports and training. I just hope that it's not true. Can anyone on here get in contact with Drennen Sr or Doss to hear it from the horses mouth? Also, do u think that Coach Crabtree knows or has even heard anything about this? If not he's going to get blindsided if it's true!