Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-15-19, 05:30 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
“Cool it”: OHSAA tells parents to calm down at their kid's games

https://www.10tv.com/article/cool-it...eir-kids-games

Quote:
The Ohio High School Athletic Association is passing on a message to parents and it is not mincing words.

There has been a shortage of Ohio high school officials recently, and the OHSAA says fans berating the officials is a big reason why.

The letter basically tells fans to “cool it.”

“Make no mistake about it. Your passion is admired, and your support of the hometown team is needed. But so is your self-control. Yelling, screaming and berating the officials humiliates your child, annoys those sitting around you, embarrasses your child’s school and is the primary reason Ohio has an alarming shortage of high school officials,” the letter states.

The letter goes on to say “According to a recent survey by the National Association of Sports Officials, more than 75 percent of all high school officials say “adult behavior” is the primary reason they quit. And 80 percent of all young officials hang up their stripes after just two years of whistleblowing. Why? They don’t need your abuse.”

You can read the entire letter below:

If you are the mother or father of a high school athlete here in Ohio, this message is primarily for you.

When you attend an athletic event that involves your son or daughter, cheer to your heart’s content, enjoy the camaraderie that high school sports offer and have fun. But when it comes to verbally criticize game officials or coaches, cool it.

Make no mistake about it. Your passion is admired, and your support of the hometown team is needed. But so is your self-control. Yelling, screaming and berating the officials humiliates your child, annoys those sitting around you, embarrasses your child’s school and is the primary reason Ohio has an alarming shortage of high school officials.

It’s true. According to a recent survey by the National Association of Sports Officials, more than 75 percent of all high school officials say “adult behavior” is the primary reason they quit. And 80 percent of all young officials hang up their stripes after just two years of whistleblowing. Why? They don’t need your abuse.

Plus, there’s a ripple effect. There are more officials over 60 than under 30 in many areas. And as older, experienced officials retire, there aren’t enough younger ones to replace them. If there are no officials, there are no games. The shortage of licensed high school officials is severe enough in some areas that athletic events are being postponed or cancelled—especially at the freshman and junior varsity levels.

Research confirms that participation in high school sports and activities instills a sense of pride in school and community, teaches lifelong lessons like the value of teamwork and self-discipline and facilitates the physical and emotional development of those who participate. So, if the games go away because there aren’t enough men and women to officiate them, the loss will be infinitely greater than just an “L” on the scoreboard. It will be putting a dent in your community’s future.

If you would like to be a part of the solution to the shortage of high school officials, you can sign up to become a licensed official at HighSchoolOfficials.com. Otherwise, adult role models at high school athletic events here in Ohio are always welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-19, 06:56 PM
Junior Varsity

RB22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post

Not really the fans. You can’t hear them at Varsity games anyway. Send this letter to the young coaches. I am sure they wouldn’t like to be spoken too the way they speak to officials. I belong to an association that has Zero Class 1 officials who can fill in as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-19, 07:04 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB22 View Post
Not really the fans. You can’t hear them at Varsity games anyway. Send this letter to the young coaches. I am sure they wouldn’t like to be spoken too the way they speak to officials. I belong to an association that has Zero Class 1 officials who can fill in as needed.
I'm curious how this affects officials from the various sports. It would seem that football has the most fans watching but also the furthest from the stands. It seems basketball would be one of the worst sports to officiate because of the closeness of the fans and the speed of the game.

How much is this directed at the parents, fans, AND coaches?
Old 01-15-19, 08:24 PM
All District

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
Screaming and berating may be over the line but, don't know how you can remove emotions of yelling if something involves your kid and his team.

If refs expect the kids to play according to the rules to not be penalized then not yelling seems to hold the players to a higher standard than the officials.

I don't always like tv reviews but, it is easier to live with it if it gets a 2nd look. I know it isn't practical for high school and younger but, it shows that refs at the highest levels can be made to reverse calls on a closer look.

I try to keep "cool" but, the best officiated games are ones that the game can be discussed without mentioning the refs/umps. Of course, if one side is happy then not sure the other side can say the same. I know at college basketball games, hope to have at least one guy giving us some calls and if the 3rd guy gives us some calls then I can live with having one giving the other team the majority of calls.

I knew some college basketball refs more than a few decades ago and they would review fouls at halftime and favor the other team...that is evening things out...in the 2nd half. That is why the number of fouls don't always mean much if the calls come after the game is out of hand.

Anyway, I am concerned with the number of officials available. Don't know if this letter will help.
Old 01-15-19, 09:49 PM
Freshman

Dumpster Fire is on a distinguished road
You’d have to think some of these student athletes who have not been brainwashed by their parents have to feel embarrassed by their actions.

Just sitting up in the stands each week hearing these things can be cringeworthy. [Said] kid can do no wrong while the coach or the ref are always at fault. Those parents are certainly doing their kids a big favor in the long run [NOT] with that mindset.

Let the kids enjoy these sports!
Old 01-15-19, 10:00 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVTommyBoy View Post
Screaming and berating may be over the line but, don't know how you can remove emotions of yelling if something involves your kid and his team.

If refs expect the kids to play according to the rules to not be penalized then not yelling seems to hold the players to a higher standard than the officials.

I don't always like tv reviews but, it is easier to live with it if it gets a 2nd look. I know it isn't practical for high school and younger but, it shows that refs at the highest levels can be made to reverse calls on a closer look.

I try to keep "cool" but, the best officiated games are ones that the game can be discussed without mentioning the refs/umps. Of course, if one side is happy then not sure the other side can say the same. I know at college basketball games, hope to have at least one guy giving us some calls and if the 3rd guy gives us some calls then I can live with having one giving the other team the majority of calls.

I knew some college basketball refs more than a few decades ago and they would review fouls at halftime and favor the other team...that is evening things out...in the 2nd half. That is why the number of fouls don't always mean much if the calls come after the game is out of hand.

Anyway, I am concerned with the number of officials available. Don't know if this letter will help.
Basketball seems to be the worst. It is a problem that isn't going to get better anytime soon unless they increase the $ a referee can make. For what I hear they make, no way would I take that abuse.
Old 01-15-19, 10:11 PM
All District

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
It's been awhile since I have seen GWOC games so, can't comment on the abuse the refs feel. I don't notice it at smaller divisions of high school.

I'd say high school kids doing games for grade school aged kids probably get the most abuse because adults think they can bully them.

As far as parents making their kids uncomfortable by the way they act, think it used to be worse in the past. ( But, again it may be more of a problem in areas that I don't follow ).
Old 01-15-19, 10:27 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
I’m guessing this has to do with the Pboy incident
Old 01-16-19, 01:07 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Now ^^that there's funny
Old 01-16-19, 05:46 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
I do think that the youth/peewee levels can be some of the most brutal when it comes to parental behavior.

I did some reffing for midget wrestling and good grief it was rough. Yes, it can be quite a sight for a parent of a young wrestler to see their son or daughter twisted and contorted in so many ways. But many have little to no concept of the rules. Just because it looks (and is) painful doesn't mean it's illegal.

And while I will never quite be able to wrap my head around it, there will always be parents who think their son or daughter will be the next Lebron James, Tom Brady, Diana Taurasi etc. and are their ticket to fame and fortune and will not stand for Mr. or Ms Official getting in the way of that!

With hundreds to thousands of adults in the stands for a game, it is usually only a few bad apples but obviously were enough to prompt this letter.
Old 01-16-19, 07:05 AM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
More than likely a shared blame when it comes to this stuff.

Parents/fans have been and will always be emotionally attached to their teams.

Refs have and will always make mistakes or miss calls.

At some point, the OHSAA has to figure out the real fix and not just blame the fans for a lack of available refs. Increase their wages and add additional monitoring for the good and bad of the sport.
Old 01-16-19, 08:11 AM
Junior Varsity

RB22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post

At some point, the OHSAA has to figure out the real fix and not just blame the fans for a lack of available refs. Increase their wages and add additional monitoring for the good and bad of the sport.

It’s not OHSAA that pays officials, its the schools (Conferences) that decide. You won’t see an increase in pay anytime soon. Additional monitoring would come from the schools as well. People complain about $6/ticket now imagine if it was $8

Old 01-16-19, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Yeah, a letter is going to accomplish something.
Old 01-16-19, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB22 View Post
It’s not OHSAA that pays officials, its the schools (Conferences) that decide. You won’t see an increase in pay anytime soon. Additional monitoring would come from the schools as well. People complain about $6/ticket now imagine if it was $8

Most games I have been to are $8 already and have been for a few years.

I can see college games for cheaper than many of the local high schools.
Old 01-16-19, 08:53 AM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
My daughter plays softball and it can get really bad with parents at those games, especially for the home plate ump. The fans are usually right there on top of him/her and they can hear everything, even if it doesn't rise to the level of yelling and screaming. You can see it to in the age and quality of the umps. Most are elderly and some are really bad. I think in the next few years there will be a real shortage of baseball/softball umpires.

Personally, I think the best refs/umps are consistent. For example, I can live with any strike zone if your calling it the same the whole game, for both sides. My daughter is pretty good pitcher and in school ball she does very well. Sometimes as the game goes on her strike zone shrinks while the other pitcher's zone seems to grow, almost like she is being punished for being better. That gets pretty frustrating.
Old 01-16-19, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Ive seen more parents tossed from youth baseball games in the last few summers than coaches, that is for sure, and more than I ever did playing and coaching for years so I do believe it is getting much worse.

It appears to be worse at the younger ages. Sure, the umps are the greatest but I also believe many of the parents are uneducated on the games itself and learn as the years go by.

What I have seen, and it was surprising to me, was the uptick in MOM's getting all psycho and tossed from games.
Old 01-16-19, 09:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Ive seen more parents tossed from youth baseball games in the last few summers than coaches, that is for sure, and more than I ever did playing and coaching for years so I do believe it is getting much worse.

It appears to be worse at the younger ages. Sure, the umps are the greatest but I also believe many of the parents are uneducated on the games itself and learn as the years go by.

What I have seen, and it was surprising to me, was the uptick in MOM's getting all psycho and tossed from games.
My experience has always been regardless of the sport that MOMs are by far the craziest at games and the worst offenders. They yell louder, are ruder, and the obscenities that come out of these women's mouths would make a sailor blush. And I agree with the youth thing getting worse too. I see to many parents losing their minds at a 7 year old's football/baseball/basketball game it blows my mind. I see them cursing the coach, other kids, refs, and I always tell them..... You realize they are 7 (or whatever age) and learning the game and tell them to calm down as they are embarrassing themselves and more importantly their child. It is sad.
Old 01-16-19, 09:28 AM
Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
This is a serious subject, and the future of youth sports is in the balance. If there's not enough officials, there's no games.

More refs/AD's/Principals need to exercise more "no tolerance" policy with hooligan fans/parents..and coaches who who go over the edge.

once quickly warned...if it begins again, stop the game until the hooligans have left.

No yelling or screaming, just " we'll sit here til you leave the gym"
Old 01-16-19, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
My experience has always been regardless of the sport that MOMs are by far the craziest at games and the worst offenders. They yell louder, are ruder, and the obscenities that come out of these women's mouths would make a sailor blush. And I agree with the youth thing getting worse too. I see to many parents losing their minds at a 7 year old's football/baseball/basketball game it blows my mind. I see them cursing the coach, other kids, refs, and I always tell them..... You realize they are 7 (or whatever age) and learning the game and tell them to calm down as they are embarrassing themselves and more importantly their child. It is sad.
100% True.

I pretty much sit there and don't say anything. Maybe a comment or two at someone next to me about a call but at the end of the day these are just kids games that really don't mean anything.

When the boy complains to me about the calls I try to make it a teaching moment that he isn't to ever question the umpire (some may hold it against you) as that is the coaches job. Brush it off and go to the next pitch/play.
I also bring up the plays that went his way that were bad calls and that it will even out.

I just don't know why people get so psycho at the games of kids. I saw an 8th grade hoops coach get tossed in their first game, while down by 20+, and they are a team that is expected to have very few, if any wins.

Also, a mom called a coach a the HS aged level to yell at the coach for not calling the game winning shot for her son. Mind you, the kid who the play was called for made It for the win.
Old 01-16-19, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Yeah, a letter is going to accomplish something.
Not that one, no. Alot of truth, but basically a one-sided scolding, including a cheap threat. Could have added a sentence or 2 describing their own internal efforts or responsibility. (Apparently none).

A letter to school officials asking them (not own customers directly) for better support and enforcement of fan codes of conduct would have been far more appropriate and productive. Pretty much just added fuel to the fire.
Old 01-16-19, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

A coach should print out the Matheny Manifesto and give it to each parent before each season.
If you are unaware of it, check it out online and give it a quick read.
Old 01-16-19, 09:55 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post

And here you have it.... put the blame elsewhere.... To address your points above.....

- The national shortage of officials is real. 4 of every 5 new officials quit after their second year. (up from 2 of every 3 after three years) Veteran officials are leaving at a record pace. The predominant reason given (more than 80%), fan, coach, and player behavior. Not pay, not politics (which was the reason years ago)...... unsporting behavior..... poor behavior by the spectators.

- Officiating at this level is an avocation. It's a hobby, a minor occupation. Men and women do this in additon to having real real jobs, you know the ones that pay the bills. Some are good and some are bad.... Some are really good and some are really bad.... to expect anything otherwise is unrealistic.

- The OHSAA does not set officiating fees (except for the Regional and State Tournaments). Those are set by the leagues, the schools. Trust me, there isn't going to be any significant increase in game fees in any of our lifetimes.

- The OHSAA has a staff of less than 30 people to administer 15,000+ officials, 1600 some odd schools, and approximately 350,000 student athletes (4th nationally).... tell me how "additional monitoring" is going to work. (who's going to do it, who's going to pay for it....)

Instead of rationalizing the poor behavior cited here, how about we change the behavior? That change is free and it takes no additional manpower to get the job done.
Old 01-16-19, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

I have seen some people on here commenting on coach's behavior. Yes, there are some that are out of hand, but my experience at the high school level is that overall vast majority of them handle themselves the right way. I have found that older coaches get away with way, way more with the officials than younger coaches. Younger coaches even when they question the right way officials, are many times threatened with penalties and flags in football.

I was at a smaller school varsity game 2 seasons ago and remember this vividly. Since it was a smaller game, I could hear 90% of the what was going on between the coach and official, I won't name the game. I saw a younger head coach (early 30s) question a really bogus penalty. The officials called defensive holding on a run play on one of the cornerbacks. The coach questioned it and the explanation was screamed back at him by the official that "It was holding because the defensive player grabbed the jersey of the offensive player and threw him to the ground." The coach said, that's how you shed blocks, it's defense. The ref yelled even louder that at no point is any player allowed to grab a jersey, and at no point can a player be thrown to the ground. The coach yelled back, then tell me how to shed a block then. Ref then said one more word and it's 15 yards.

If that scenario would've happened with a high profile coach, say a Specht, Ramsey, Bolden, etc. you bet the exchange would've been way, way different and the refs would've taken the verbal onslaught that occurred.

Don't get me wrong, there are coaches that cross the line, and do so regularly, but the vast majority don't. I don't really think it is the coaches, but definitely the fans and players especially. I overheard a player once when I was coaching point at an official and tell him that he'd be waiting for him off the field when the game ended. Luckily that got flagged, but it is definitely crazy parents which is trickling down to crazy kids overstepping their boundaries.
Old 01-16-19, 09:59 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Spent some years back in Texas and Oklahoma, where football is about as crazy popular as it is here. They would have a couple of "undercover" officials near and in the stands. More than a few times I would see parents, kids, etc get removed from the stadium, escorted by police for abusive behavior. Never seemed to be a shortage of refs there. I even recall an official clearing a basketball court of fans because of abusive behavior. Time to start making examples of these serial complainers, and maybe the message will become clearer what will and wont be tolerated.
Old 01-16-19, 11:15 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Parents should just keep quiet . I am one, my kids have played varsity sports and 1 still does. I've wanted on plenty of occasions to let the refs know that my son is being held on every play or that his cross check was legal or that he didn't really slash him, however the refs are within 10-15 feet of the action. I am a considerable distance away. They have a better angle. Besides that its not my job, the coaches can take up his cause. I'm there to encourage him to play hard and do his best. That is enough for me.
Old 01-16-19, 11:31 AM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how or why we got to a point in society where the socially-acceptable norms of conduct go out the window in high school sports.

Fans who run their mouth at officials constantly are the same ones that say "kids these days" when young people are misbehaving or being disrespectful to authority; it's so hypocritical.

If you as an adult can't control yourself over "bad officiating" at a high school game, you're best off just staying home. You certainly shouldn't play the victim card when you're shown the door.

For all the people who think the ref shortage is due to "thin skin" on the part of officials rather than outrageous conduct of adults, you are part of the problem. If you can convince conferences to double the pay for officials and we still have a shortage, then maybe we can have a conversation about how officials need thicker skin. Newsflash: your admission to a game doesn't give you the right to act like a buffoon. If you don't want to get thrown out by a "thin skinned" official, don't act like a fool in the first place then pass the buck to someone else.
Old 01-16-19, 11:49 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Spent some years back in Texas and Oklahoma, where football is about as crazy popular as it is here. They would have a couple of "undercover" officials near and in the stands. More than a few times I would see parents, kids, etc get removed from the stadium, escorted by police for abusive behavior. Never seemed to be a shortage of refs there. I even recall an official clearing a basketball court of fans because of abusive behavior. Time to start making examples of these serial complainers, and maybe the message will become clearer what will and wont be tolerated.
Texas is experiencing a profound drop in available officials for football. They've already resorted to more Thursday games in regions of the state that never had a need for them in the past. All because there's just not enough crews to handle the games.

And their pay is good there, and mileage for those that had to drive far from their chapter headquarters. The problem is no young officials want to deal with the abuse and harassment. And the older ones eventually retire. In Texas they're aiming at recruiting high school athletes who graduate and don't advance past college or don't even play in college to take up officiating as a way to fill the void.
Old 01-16-19, 12:15 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
I do think that the youth/peewee levels can be some of the most brutal when it comes to parental behavior.
I do not like to officiate 5/6 grade football for a couple of reasons, the biggest is the coaches. They know the rules the least and argue the most. It ruins it for me.
Old 01-16-19, 12:44 PM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I do not like to officiate 5/6 grade football for a couple of reasons, the biggest is the coaches. They know the rules the least and argue the most. It ruins it for me.
I gave up wreck/travel basketball awhile ago and have never looked back.

Football I still do some wreck games but I'm very selective about the leagues and assigners I work for. If I think the BS is too much for too little money, see ya. Some leagues have been flat out told that no one (or no one good) wants to officiate their games because the pay isn't commensurate with all the baggage. They pony up and find extra money or they put the hammer down on misbehaving adults (often both).

There's only so much money that makes it worth putting up with so much crap.
Old 01-16-19, 01:29 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Basketball seems to be the worst. It is a problem that isn't going to get better anytime soon unless they increase the $ a referee can make. For what I hear they make, no way would I take that abuse.
I would say wrestling is even worse than basketball when it comes to parent behavior against refs.