Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-19, 01:52 PM
Varsity

cover24 is on a distinguished road
Occ

Who are the early 2019 favorites in the OCC divisions?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-19, 03:16 PM
Freshman

Far East is on a distinguished road
pick central returns a lot on the offensive side of the ball but not on defense. they should score a lot of points but they might have to score to win.
Old 01-22-19, 09:51 AM
Freshman

Central_Ohio is on a distinguished road
It is crazy the drop off of Central Ohio posters since JJHuddle went away. Is football interest falling off in Ohio this dramatically? I've been a reader of Yappi for awhile and just not enough of the old JJ posters came over this way.

Tough to tell on north side of 270. The only team that I can think of in the Buckeye that has a scholarship offer is Liberty with Ben Wrather, who I believe has accumulated an offer from every MAC school.

I can't think of any Orange or Tangy kids with D1 offers to this point.

The Westerville's always have players, but I can't think of any kids that have offers..

I have enjoyed the Buckeye conference because it sets up many local games. It stinks that this is the last year for it because it will cut already low attendance with travel.
Old 01-22-19, 11:51 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central_Ohio View Post
It is crazy the drop off of Central Ohio posters since JJHuddle went away. Is football interest falling off in Ohio this dramatically? I've been a reader of Yappi for awhile and just not enough of the old JJ posters came over this way.

Tough to tell on north side of 270. The only team that I can think of in the Buckeye that has a scholarship offer is Liberty with Ben Wrather, who I believe has accumulated an offer from every MAC school.

I can't think of any Orange or Tangy kids with D1 offers to this point.

The Westerville's always have players, but I can't think of any kids that have offers..

I have enjoyed the Buckeye conference because it sets up many local games. It stinks that this is the last year for it because it will cut already low attendance with travel.
The problem is JJ pulled the plug in the off-season, when many posters weren’t active. He pulled it so suddenly, too, that very few posters had the opportunity to contact each other and tell them to migrate over.
Old 01-23-19, 07:52 PM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Are there new alignments this year or the same as last year? Any new teams expected to join or any scheduled to leave?
Old 01-24-19, 07:44 AM
Varsity

This is the last year for the current alignment. I don't know if the conference is adding or if anyone is leaving.
Old 01-24-19, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Next year the new re-alignment will see

Hilliard Bradley

Hilliard Davidson

Dublin Coffman

Upper Arlington

Olentangy Liberty

Olentangy Orange

in the same conference , a couple play-off caliber teams will miss each year going forward starting in 2020 . Basketball and Football especially will be wars and there will be attrition. All teams save Upper Arlington made the play-offs last year and they might have if they didn't lose their QB and they lost a couple razor close finishes.

Great hoops programs as well .
Old 01-24-19, 12:31 PM
Varsity

That is a crazy division! Do you know the others as well?
Old 01-24-19, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

Clipped this from this Weeks News from a while back

Principals of schools in the Ohio Capital Conference have approved a plan that would realign the conference for four seasons beginning with the 2020-21 school year. The plan passed by a 26-5 vote.
Projected changes in enrollment and the opening of a new school, Olentangy Berlin, in the fall precipitated the changes. Berlin will compete in the OCC Cardinal Division until the realignment goes into effect.
The conference will continue to use a five-division format, although names of those divisions haven’t been determined. The new divisions will be:
• Gahanna, Grove City, New Albany, Pickerington North, Westerville Central and Westland
• Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Delaware, Dublin Scioto, Franklin Heights, Westerville North, Westerville South and Worthington Kilbourne
• Dublin Coffman, Hilliard Bradley, Hilliard Davidson, Olentangy Orange, Olentangy Liberty and Upper Arlington
• Dublin Jerome, Hilliard Darby, Olentangy, Olentangy Berlin, Marysville and Thomas Worthington
• Central Crossing, Groveport, Lancaster, Newark, Pickerington Central and Reynoldsburg

Transfer proposal

The Ohio High School Athletic Association board of directors on Thursday approved an item for its May referendum ballot that would toughen penalties for some transfer students.
The proposal, to be voted on by school administrators May 1-15, would change the sit-out period for transfer students who do not meet one of 11 exceptions in an OHSAA bylaw to the second half of the regular season and any ensuing postseason.
The current rule stipulates that those athletes must sit out preseason contests and the first half of the regular season.
“Much of the feedback we have received from the membership indicates that the current consequence — sitting out the first half of the regular-season — is not a significant deterrent,” said OHSAA Executive Director Dan Ross. “If a student knows that the end of the regular-season and the tournament will still be available to them, they are more likely to transfer. We don’t believe that a high number of transfers is good for education-based athletics.”
The most common exception in the bylaw is a change of residence to a new school district, which grants immediate eligibility.
Old 01-24-19, 01:09 PM
All Yappi

What I see with this alignment is these schools will HAVE TO take it easier in their 5 non conference games . Pickerington Central , the top dog in the major sports with more of a depth of talent than anyone will play in a joke conference. Ridiculously easy . Reynoldsburg likely won't be as good year in and year out as they were this year . Lancaster will play them tough in football , and Newark in basketball perhaps but good Lord are they far above the rest. They will schedule hard outside of conference as always. Will they keep Pick North? probably ? Or wait until the play-offs?
Old 01-25-19, 07:46 AM
Varsity

Odd that Delaware is a D1 school in a division with D2 schools. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Delaware and New Albany switch divisions?
Old 01-30-19, 07:18 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
What I see with this alignment is these schools will HAVE TO take it easier in their 5 non conference games . Pickerington Central , the top dog in the major sports with more of a depth of talent than anyone will play in a joke conference. Ridiculously easy . Reynoldsburg likely won't be as good year in and year out as they were this year . Lancaster will play them tough in football , and Newark in basketball perhaps but good Lord are they far above the rest. They will schedule hard outside of conference as always. Will they keep Pick North? probably ? Or wait until the play-offs?

As I agree with you about the major sports. Lancaster is competitive with Pickerington Central in many sports like Wrestling, swimming, track and field, cross country,baseball, softball, volleyball etc... the conference is more than football and basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 01:02 PM
All Region

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pickerington Central really needs to keep Pickerington North on their schedule. PC's division is very weak and it is difficult to find high level non-conference opponents who are willing to play. That is why they have played out of state teams such as Cass Tech. I would like to start an annual game against a team that is consistently good like Wayne, Mentor, St. X, Moller, St. Iggy, St. Edwards, Colerain. Maybe throw in a D2 Power like Hoban.
Old 02-01-19, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Next year the new re-alignment will see

Hilliard Bradley

Hilliard Davidson

Dublin Coffman

Upper Arlington

Olentangy Liberty

Olentangy Orange

in the same conference , a couple play-off caliber teams will miss each year going forward starting in 2020 . Basketball and Football especially will be wars and there will be attrition. All teams save Upper Arlington made the play-offs last year and they might have if they didn't lose their QB and they lost a couple razor close finishes.

Great hoops programs as well .
Will there be another D-1 public school { or any division } football conference in the state better than this one ? Does any public conference have six programs as good as these? I think it will be arguably as tough as any other conference no doubt .
Old 02-01-19, 09:06 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Will there be another D-1 public school { or any division } football conference in the state better than this one ? Does any public conference have six programs as good as these? I think it will be arguably as tough as any other conference no doubt .
Yeah, this part of the OCC has some serious teeth... to say the least. Maybe one of the best public school alignments, top to bottom across all sports, in the Great Lakes region.
Old 02-02-19, 08:40 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Yeah, this part of the OCC has some serious teeth... to say the least. Maybe one of the best public school alignments, top to bottom across all sports, in the Great Lakes region.
Interestingly, Hilliard Bradley voted *against* this alignment. I'll be curious to see how they fare across the board once this alignment kicks in. They're strongest in the high profile sports of football and boys basketball and pretty strong in several other sports (boys soccer, girls soccer, softball, wrestling), but then kind of tail off a bit after that.
Old 02-02-19, 06:18 PM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
Interestingly, Hilliard Bradley voted *against* this alignment. I'll be curious to see how they fare across the board once this alignment kicks in. They're strongest in the high profile sports of football and boys basketball and pretty strong in several other sports (boys soccer, girls soccer, softball, wrestling), but then kind of tail off a bit after that.
Why is that interesting? *OF COURSE* they voted against this. They have to move from the OCC Ragu, which was the biggest joke in the OCC, to what will be by far the toughest conference in central ohio, and easily the toughest public school conference in the state. They may never make the playoffs again after this realignment.
Old 02-02-19, 09:02 PM
All Region

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
Why is that interesting? *OF COURSE* they voted against this. They have to move from the OCC Ragu, which was the biggest joke in the OCC, to what will be by far the toughest conference in central ohio, and easily the toughest public school conference in the state. They may never make the playoffs again after this realignment.
Pick Central would be happy to switch divisions with Bradley. Btw, the Hilliard parents are the biggest bunch of crybabies and it is not exclusive to one of the three schools. Our 8th grade basketball team is playing in a Hilliard tournament and their parents are constantly screaming at the refs. Their down by 30 yelling at refs. Lol!
Old 02-03-19, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Speaking of Pick C and Pick North how do these teams feel about adding them to an already 5 tough games ? How do you scheduke outside your league when you know you have 5 straight weeks of being pushed hard to end the season? I think the difference in some years in this meat grinder will be the order in which you play the teams.

It will change a bit from year to year and teams rebuilding a bit every so often on odd years but it is very difficult for any football team never mind HS kids to get up to a peak to play a difficult opponent 3 to 4 or may be even 5 straight weeks . It’s impossible really .

It’s too heavy , good teams will miss the playoffs each year , and that makes the first 5 weeks that much more important and it will take a deft scheduling touch in order to be in a decent position before the league schedule starts . Of course PC and PN want to schedule these good programs to help themselves face better competition but it’s tough for these teams to do that with no breathers in league play .
Old 02-03-19, 08:34 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
LoL... Yes, I understand why Bradley voted against it. It was an ironic statement.

That said, I think they'll do fine in boys basketball, because I think they've built a program that is primed for success over the long haul. Not sure about the long-term level of success in football, which seems a bit more uncertain at this juncture.

Last edited by BGFalcons86; 02-03-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 09:03 AM
Freshman

It seems like two tiers in this division when it comes to football.

Obviously Davidson, Coffman, and Liberty are built for the long haul, but UA really has been a slightly above average team for quite some time. Orange and Bradley really haven't sustained a program long enough to be considered elite.

Last edited by Central_Ohio; 02-04-19 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 11:58 AM
Freshman

ER8868 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Obviously Davidson, Coffman, and Liberty are built for the long haul, but UA really has been a slightly above average team for quite some time. Orange and Bradley really haven't sustained a program long enough to be considered elite.
Does Orange even have a playoff win in their school history? I know the current coaching staff hasn't won any playoff games, I was unsure if previous staffs have won one. If you haven't won a playoff game you are a lot closer to average than elite, especially if you have had the best player in Ohio arguably in the country for a few years.
Old 02-04-19, 12:27 PM
Freshman

Far East is on a distinguished road
Its hard to say pick centrals occ division is weak when they kept them with the only two teams who beat them in the past 5 years. Pick north and Gahanna should be thanking their lucky stars that they took them away from pick central.
Old 02-04-19, 12:36 PM
Varsity

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Westland is in a world of trouble....
Old 02-04-19, 01:06 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
I agree with Central_Ohio that from a football perspective the 3 premier programs are Davidson, Liberty and Coffman. I think the step up in competition with benefit Bradley. Last year most expected Bradley to be easily defeated by Pickerington Central in wk 11 but they lost in a very competitive game 14-13. I think Bradley could surprise some people. Olentangy Orange has made the playoffs the last 3 seasons but it will be much tougher to do so now. Upper Arlington could really struggle. UA is coming off of two non-winning seasons, will have a new head coach and their numbers were down in the junior high’s last year. Something just isn’t clicking for the Golden Bears, it will be a challenge for the new head coach to turn things around.

This new league/division of the OCC will be as extremely competitive and as good as any public league in the state regardless of division. However, the best public school league in the state and arguable the nation is the Midwest Athletic Conference (Marion Local, Coldwater, Minster, Anna, Delphos St. John’s, St. Henry, Parkway, Ft. Recovery, Versailles & New Bremen). No public league/conference is even close to the MAC and really the only Ohio league/conference that could say they are as good or better is the Greater Catholic League-South (Cincinnati Moeller, Elder, St. Xavier & LaSalle).

I saw this on another thread, a report posted by the Ohio Department of Education and its ranking of all Ohio public school districts (https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/...trict-ran.html). Success breeds success. Most of the schools in these leagues (OCC, MAC, GCL-South) rank near the top of this report or probably would if they were included in the report. Congrats to these communities where the parents, coaches, teachers & administration hold the kids accountable to be successful both on and off the playing fields.

Here is a breakdown of the each of the OCC teams football records over the last 4 years and their ranking in the report I mention above:

School, Report, State Titles, Playoff Appear. 4 year W/L total, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
Hilliard Bradley, 307, 0, 3, 36-8 (81.82%), 9-2, 11-1, 9-2, 7-3
Olentangy Liberty, 25, 0, 4, 40-13 (75.47%), 9-5, 11-3, 13-1, 7-4
Dublin Coffman, 73, 0, 4, 35-12 (74.47%), 11-2, 8-3, 9-3, 7-4
Hilliard Davidson, 307, 0, 3, 35-12 (74.47%), 11-2, 5-5, 8-3, 11-2
Upper Arlington, 65, 0, 1, 25-17 (59.52%), 5-5, 4-6, 8-2, 8-4
Olentangy Orange, 25, 0, 3, 25-18 (58.14), 7-4. 9-2, 6-5, 3-7
Old 02-04-19, 01:20 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingTrain View Post
Westland is in a world of trouble....
I would guess they would be outgunned in every sport they field sans wrestling and a few others? Would it be better for them to be grouped say with Franklin Heights, maybe Groveport and a few others so they are not the token whipping team?

Also is this arrangement with some schools with less resources really advantageous for the schools with more depth and means? Will they be able to field teams in lower levels (JV, frosh etc.) in the olympic sports? Can see some frustration for forfeits/no games
Old 02-04-19, 02:11 PM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Why don't they put Grove City and Central Crossing in the same division?
Old 02-04-19, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Well when I talk about the best Public school league in the state I am not talking from a historical perspective obviously because Orange and Bradley haven't been open that long and Liberty is actually relatively new as well . I am talking going forward and potential as well. No weaker programs , pencil in a win type games.

UA has two wins over ELITE PC in the last 5 years , is on a losing streak to Davidson no question and lately Coffman has been wining the games but they are all competitive . They lost real close games with D-2 power Winton Woods and to a R-Burg team that was their best in a long time .

Orange had a better team last year when Harrison was a Junior and got upset a bit in the play-offs but is a solid sports school football included I believe going forward . Many felt Bradley outplayed PC this year in the play-offs. They have two wins over Davidson in the last few years as well.

UA had a excellent Frosh team and a very good JV team, I believe this is the year they break the Davidson streak {10 STRAIGHT regular season losses and a couple play-off losses} Coffman has won 6 straight vs UA and probably beats them again this year but after that? Probably back to a more back and forth series.

Liberty has bene growing as a program and their coaching continuity is outstanding{ Hale is the only Head coach they have had } and they step up in the play-offs recently { Last three years} .

If there is a league with this type of depth I can't think of it. Is there a 7 or 8 team league with this depth?
Old 02-05-19, 08:38 AM
Freshman

The Greater Cleveland Conference is a solid big school, public conference. Mentor, Solon, and Euclid at the top.. Strongsville was also a playoff team last year. A few others that are traditionally solid that have struggled the past few years like Elyria and Brunswick.. Middle of the road 5-5 types Medina and Shaker Heights close it out. Plus a lot of these records are battles of attrition in an 8 team conference. I would argue that this conference is a lot tougher than the schedules of Orange or Bradley over the past several years.
Old 02-05-19, 10:28 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
The Greater Miami Conference or GMC is the main big-school/D1 conference for the Greater Cincinnati region. While many teams have numerous state titles in a variety of sports, the depth of the conference is pretty shallow for football.

Colerain has been the top program for about 20 years in this conference and is really only the consistent performer against the GCL. Despite their success there is only one state title to show for it.

They are the only team from the GMC to win the region for quite some time. Only Fairfield and Princeton have been up state in the past in addition.

In fairness, the GCL has been a pretty strong obstacle to overcome historically to not only win the region, but stay healthy and fresh for two more games. You could conceivably have to win 3 games against them to get to the final four and be worn down in the process. In a lot of years, even if say St. X was down, Elder and Moeller were still strong. Many GMC schools may have had their best program in a generation only to lose to one of the 3 (Lasalle historically was not a factor when they were still D1) GCL schools.

Since the OHSAA state tournament began in 1972, Centerville, Colerain Fairfield, Princeton and Wayne are the only non-GCL schools to win the region (now Centerville and Wayne are obviously paired with Columbus schools)-with Centerville and Fairfield only having one each. Point being public school success has been historically pretty limited in Southwest Ohio in the post-season.