Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-21-18, 06:41 PM
All American

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
^^^^

This is correct.

Spread has no clue
I am so glad that someone agrees that this idiot thinks up bull crap in his own peanut way.....
Old 10-21-18, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Week 10: Poland Union Seminary (6-3) At Canfield Normal School (8-1)

[QUOTE=SOARING-EAGLE;7152143]I am so glad that someone agrees that this idiot thinks up bull crap in his own peanut

What? That doesnít make sense. Donít slobber too much on your keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-18, 07:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Canfield already had contractual agreements for weeks 1-3 before the NE8 was even formed, they can't break them without a buyout.

Canfield's only for sure open date was week 10, they may have an opening week 5 as well if Lakeside opted not to continue playing.

The league had the ability to set the schedule any way they chose, they purposely left Canfield out of the league so of course they are not going to accommodate Poland vs Canfield week 10.

At the end of the day NE8 didn't even exist when Canfield scheduled weeks 1-4 for next year and the following year. They can't move the dates because their opponents do not have open dates later in the year due to their league play.

Also with Canfields OOC schedule already made, there really isnít any way they could play next season. But that game definitely will be back before long. If Canfield and Poland still want it. Another poster said Poland is going to be d5 so maybe not?
Are they playing in the other sports or not?

Old 10-21-18, 08:03 PM
All World

wghfan
What is going on in Poland? I thought it was a growing suburban community
Old 10-21-18, 08:03 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Also with Canfields OOC schedule already made, there really isnít any way they could play next season. But that game definitely will be back before long. If Canfield and Poland still want it. Another poster said Poland is going to be d5 so maybe not?
Are they playing in the other sports or not?
Three of Canfield's first 4 weeks are set in stone until like 2022 or 2023 so if Poland wants to play Canfield, the NE8 will have to make accommodations to play sometime from week 5 to 10. Canfield obviously wants week 10 and Poland wanted week 1.
Poland refuses to play Canfield in anything if Canfield doesn't play them in football. Being as Boardman is on Poland's schedule week 1 for the next few years and the fact Canfield likely would not pay a buyout, them playing anytime soon is highly unlikely.
They likely will only compete in sports where multiple teams compete like track, cross country, swimming, occasionally golf, and possibly an oddball sport like lacrosse since so few area schools have a team.
Old 10-21-18, 08:13 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
What is going on in Poland? I thought it was a growing suburban community
Maybe in the 90s and early 00s...

Boardman was 80s/early 90s, Poland 90s/early 00s, but as simkon has stated Canfield is pretty much the only community not losing faster than the average rate. Pretty much everyone is declining around here. The ones that aren't have open enrollment in place (South Range comes to mind).

The other thing is there just aren't a ton of young families staying around period. There might be housing developments springing up but a lot of them are retirees or maybe one child families rather than say 2-4 child ones.

And unless something has changed Boardman/Poland is week 2. Jackson is in the perennial week 3 slot, and Howland moves to week 4. Right now it looks like for next year Boardman has unlisted dates Weeks 1, 8, and 10, though it wouldn't surprise me if East and Ursuline occupy the week 1 and 8 slots.
Old 10-21-18, 08:18 PM
All World

wghfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Maybe in the 90s and early 00s...

Boardman was 80s/early 90s, Poland 90s/early 00s, but as simkon has stated Canfield is pretty much the only community not losing faster than the average rate. Pretty much everyone is declining around here. The ones that aren't have open enrollment in place (South Range comes to mind).

The other thing is there just aren't a ton of young families staying around period. There might be housing developments springing up but a lot of them are retirees or maybe one child families rather than say 2-4 child ones.
Interesting. I do realize our whole area is in decline for awhile now. I always thought of Poland, similar to Canfield in housing, and demographics though
Old 10-21-18, 08:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Right now it looks like for next year Boardman has unlisted dates Weeks 1, 8, and 10, though it wouldn't surprise me if East and Ursuline occupy the week 1 and 8 slots.
It might make sense for Canfield and Boardman to play week 10, and then they would probably have an easier time finding a opponent for 10/4.
Old 10-21-18, 11:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Three of Canfield's first 4 weeks are set in stone until like 2022 or 2023 so if Poland wants to play Canfield, the NE8 will have to make accommodations to play sometime from week 5 to 10. Canfield obviously wants week 10 and Poland wanted week 1.

Poland refuses to play Canfield in anything if Canfield doesn't play them in football. Being as Boardman is on Poland's schedule week 1 for the next few years and the fact Canfield likely would not pay a buyout, them playing anytime soon is highly unlikely.

They likely will only compete in sports where multiple teams compete like track, cross country, swimming, occasionally golf, and possibly an oddball sport like lacrosse since so few area schools have a team.

Yikes. Well one day it may come back.

Canfield should be in this league. Niles is. Jefferson for gods sake is.... easily switch the two.

Old 10-21-18, 11:08 PM
All Yappi

Poland doesnít have OE for their own reasons and their enrollment is suffering bc of it. But I understand why they donít.

Old 10-22-18, 02:07 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Most schools are struggling more and more to get games later in the year, for Canfield it would be easy to schedule Poland weeks 4-10, but it’ll be hard for Poland to get a conference team to agree to move their game to the beginning of the year, also i don’t think Poland wants to play that game anymore, this might be the last year the play in probably 5-10 years and Poland’s only shot of winning. A lot more goes into scheduling then just 2 teams, the whole conference would have to agree basically
Old 10-22-18, 02:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Most schools are struggling more and more to get games later in the year, for Canfield it would be easy to schedule Poland weeks 4-10, but itíll be hard for Poland to get a conference team to agree to move their game to the beginning of the year, also i donít think Poland wants to play that game anymore, this might be the last year the play in probably 5-10 years and Polandís only shot of winning. A lot more goes into scheduling then just 2 teams, the whole conference would have to agree basically
Canfield is only open week 5 or 10 for the next 2 years unless they switch Boardman to week 10 then it would be week 5 or 6.
Like I said before Canfield already had weeks 1-4 scheduled before the NE8 existed. When the league was formed they easily could have set the schedule around Poland vs Canfield week 10.
Pretty simple
Canfield vs Poland week 10
And then anyone else in the league vs Howland week 10.
Poland plays that other team a common open date from week 1 to 3.
Option 2 is start league play week 3 with rotating open dates or bye week like the Federal League with Poland's open week fixed at week 10 to play Canfield similar to McKinley's open date to play Massillon.
Poland and the powers that be had every opportunity to make it work if they really wanted Canfield on the schedule after this year but neither was too interested in accommodating Canfield and part of that is why Canfield was left out and everything was done so secretively.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-18, 03:31 AM
All American

You think Struthers would be okay with taking Poland off of week 10 there’s no shot. I know for a fact Struthers wouldn’t agree to it to help Canfield or Poland, that’s pretty simple. Same way boardman wouldn’t help Mooney with their scheduling and a handful of others
Old 10-22-18, 03:33 AM
All American

Also the NE8 wasn’t made to me canfield out, if this were a game Poland won most of the time the might have tried to keep it, but with numbers dropping, and them not what they were it was a good decision for them. Just like Struthers/Campbell
Old 10-22-18, 04:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
You think Struthers would be okay with taking Poland off of week 10 thereís no shot. I know for a fact Struthers wouldnít agree to it to help Canfield or Poland, thatís pretty simple. Same way boardman wouldnít help Mooney with their scheduling and a handful of others
Struthers and Poland would have been scheduled for any other week had Poland and the league wanted to let Canfield play Poland week 10. I am saying had they done something before the fact not after the fact.
And the fact of the matter is that Poland playing Canfield provided them more revenue than any other match up. In football Poland made about 50% more 3 years ago for the Canfield game then any other home game.
For basketball it is always sold out of course. For every other sport that they played, it was the only game that had a larger crowd of any sort.
Poland only scheduled Boardman because they realized they need to recoupe as much as possible to balance the books for the athletic budget.
From a logic standpoint it makes no sense to take a D-III team off your schedule that makes you the most money of any game and replace it with a larger D-II school that will be an even less competitive game most years.
It didn't benefit them from a scheduling perspective to replace what will be a mid to low tier in enrollment D-III school with a team likely to be a mid to upper tier D-II school for the next decade.
It would be akin to Canfield taking Boardman off their schedule and replacing them with Fitch.

To claim it is a smart move for Poland to replace Canfield with Boardman on the schedule is baffling, if Poland eventually drops D-V they will get pounded by Boardman, it will be no contest. At least they would have a little bit better chance to beat Canfield if they have a down year.

Old 10-22-18, 04:45 AM
All Yappi

But you have to understand the league wasnít going to move around just for Poland and non member Canfield. Thatís dumb. Shame this happened but it happens. schools get left out, feelings get hurt and repeat.

Old 10-22-18, 06:50 AM
All American

Poland shouldn’t play boardman before Canfield I agree with that. Things are slowly going downhill In Poland, if you say it has nothing to do with the coach over there I would disagree. I do think Poland should play Canfield, but I don’t agree they should have gotten an invite to the league, I don’t think anyone would agree to it willingly. Especially Jefferson, Niles, Girard, SR, and Lakeview
Old 10-22-18, 07:39 AM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm a little out of the loop here. Is the decision to leave Canfield out of the new league purely enrollment based?
Old 10-22-18, 10:22 AM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
Poland is preparing to be a minor program.

They didn't want to get creamed annually by their biggest rival.

Poland's new rivals will all be D5 teams. They're athletic future is bleak, to say the least
The only D-5 is South Range and they won’t be for long.
And if Poland is your biggest rival, in case you haven’t noticed, they are D-4, not 3 like Canfield!

Last edited by ICBM; 10-22-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:27 AM
All American

Canfield people can ride off into the sunset on their royal carriages, and start playing schools their own size. What a shame
Old 10-22-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Canfield NORMAL School? I have to ask, is there an abnormal school in Canfield?
Old 10-22-18, 10:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Canfield's schedule already ranks in the top 10 in D-III, depending on who all exactly is on the schedule next year Canfield may be the "Ursuline of D-III". Ursuline has by far the most difficult schedule in D-IV and it rivals some of the top D-I schools.
Will be interesting with Canfield scheduling going forward, with playing bigger schools compared to this year playing 3 smaller schools 2 one division up and 5 the same size
Old 10-22-18, 12:18 PM
All District

dog2012 is on a distinguished road
Back to the game...Poland had an uphill battle before the injury bug hit, now they have very little chance imo. Poland's only hope is if they open up the passing game. That's something I just don't see happening.
Old 10-22-18, 12:40 PM
All American

To me their qb regressed the last 3 years. Crazy what a good coach can do huh
Old 10-22-18, 01:28 PM
All American

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Stop trying to make sense out of why Canfield isn't in the NE8. Because it just doesn't make sense for Jefferson to be in instead of Canfield. There's no logic there... that move is only going to cost the NE8 members money. Both at the gates and concessions, as well as cut into the budget for bussing.
My guess is that it's purely political. The former AAC schools must have had enough of Canfield always having to have it their way. So right or wrong, they teamed up to form a new conference and didn't invite what would've been the big fish in a smaller pond.
Maybe they think Jefferson will bail after a year or 2 and they can target a team like Howland, Chaney, East, Salem, LaBrae, Crestview, etc to take their place. Any one of them would be a way better fit than Jefferson... but I have to believe that if the NE8 wanted Howland, East, and/or Chaney that they would've been invited already. That was before East dropped to D4, though.

One thing that everyone doesn't realize... the current difference in enrollment between Poland and Canfield is already larger than the difference between Poland and South Range. And with SR growing and Poland shrinking, that trend will only continue.
Poland is in trouble... not just enrollment wise, either.

Last edited by BTrev; 10-22-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 01:30 PM
All American

As for the game... it should be a low scoring defensive struggle. I have a lot more faith in Pav than I do in the guy at Poland.
Old 10-22-18, 01:46 PM
All American

The Jefferson move hasn’t made sense since they joined the aac and nobody understands why they are there. East/Chaney would be a perfect fit
Old 10-22-18, 04:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Canfield NORMAL School? I have to ask, is there an abnormal school in Canfield?
The only other secondary schools in Canfield are South Range and the vocational school. Maybe MCCTC would count as abnormal, it is non-traditional I guess.

Old 10-22-18, 05:20 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
Jefferson is D-4 as are most of the teams in the NE8. The rest of the teams suggested are D-3 and East was D-2. At the time they formed Chaney did not have Football. Niles is the only D-3 and it may be D-4 before long just as South Range will grow to be D-4 shortly. It’s a balanced league that way. Use the first three games to schedule any big school you want. Or another D-4 in Mooney or Ursuline. I’m sure Steubenville would rather play an Ohio team instead of Canadians, Aye!
Old 10-22-18, 05:34 PM
All American

What are you talking about? Howland is the only D3 that I mentioned. East, Salem, and I'm pretty sure Chaney are D4. And LaBrae and Crestview are both D5.