Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-20-18, 12:21 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Week 10: Poland Union Seminary (6-3) At Canfield Normal School (8-1)

Poland's best win this year is over the Marlington Dukes in week 1. Poland was upset 22-21 by Struthers in week 6, and was shut out twice this year. East proved to be a formidable opponent and won 10-0 while Hubbard was held to a season low 17 points in the shutout, their previous low was 37 points. Poland seems to have a strong defense while struggling to move the ball at times on offense.
Canfield's key wins include Louisville, Struthers, Chardon and Boardman. Formerly AP #1 ranked Canfield was upset by the East Golden Bears in week 8 after losing a 7-6 lead in the waning moments. Canfield has not allowed more than 2 TDs in any game this season. Canfield is without their best player (WR #7) and several other key players, so Poland has a very good opportunity to pick up a lot of points to improve their seeding for the playoffs.
Canfield does not have much depth and it really hurt them against a formidable East team, they likely would have defeated had all their key players been able to play.
This also will likely be the last match-up between Poland and Canfield in football for the next few decades. Unless things change drastically I honestly do not for see them playing anytime in the next 20 years at least. It will be interesting to see what Canfield does for their schedule next year.

Canfield defeated Poland last year 38-0, 29-14 in 2016 and 7-6 in 2015. Poland's last win in the series was 2014.
I have the all time series as 32-38-4 in favor of Poland, which makes this the 75th meeting all time. Keep in mind some of these may not have been 11 man games and they may have played twice some years.

As an aside I used the names of the schools from their first ever meeting. Canfield began as Northeast Ohio Normal School and later became Canfield Normal School before being known finally as Canfield High School. Poland began as Lee's Girls Academy, then became Poland Female College, then Poland Academy, then Poland Institute, and finally Poland Union Seminary although the Union was dropped from the name about 100 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-18, 12:57 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Sad that this may be the end, though the two communities are starting to diverge in terms of enrollment. And with the threat of a teacher strike soon and kindergarten classes around 100 or less, Poland may very well be D5 in the coming years.

Are there no vacancies on either school's 2019 schedule remaining?

Canfield should roll, injuries or not.
Old 10-20-18, 02:00 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
This the gotw Simkon? Poland definitely has some beef but really can't do much on offense without many athletes. Poland stacked the box and dared Hubbard to throw the ball which Daniel's did make a few nice throws early but that was nixed after the rain started. I was surprised that Polands defense was able to contain Daniel's and Odem on the edge. Hubbards actually found success going to a I formation and pounding Morales and Daniel's. That should bode well for Canfield. I cant see Poland doing much on offense in this one. Cosco took a beating last night.
Old 10-20-18, 02:02 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Any chance Canfield’s enrollment drops in a while?
If that would happen, that eventually could mean them joining the NE8

Poland looks to drop in enrollment. The rest seem to be stable regarding numbers.
Would be nice to see Canfield, Salem and West Branch eventually in the NE8.

Methinks Canfield should roll in this one again.
Old 10-20-18, 02:08 PM
All World

Canfield may drop slightly but relative to the area they are gaining enrollment. And they're closed enrollment to boot. Really where most of the younger families and move ins are locating so I expect this trend to last awhile.
Old 10-20-18, 02:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Canfield may drop slightly but relative to the area they are gaining enrollment. And they're closed enrollment to boot. Really where most of the younger families and move ins are locating so I expect this trend to last awhile.
Actually Canfield's enrollment is down as well and is trending downward but everyone else is already substantially smaller in the first place or dropping a lot faster.
For perspective, at one point when football was only 6 divisions and other sports may have had less divisions, Canfield was D-I for every sport but football, and was the 3rd largest D-II school. Now they are going to be a mid-range D-III team.
I noticed Dover used to be D-IV when Canfield was D-II and now Dover is D-II and Canfield is D-III in football. So Dover has really grown in enrollment over the past 10 years.
Old 10-20-18, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Are there no vacancies on either school's 2019 schedule remaining?
Canfield's schedule
Week 1: 8/30 Louisville
Week 2: 9/6 Dover
Week 3: 9/13 Chardon???
Week 4: 9/20 Alliance
Week 5: 9/27 Lakeside???
Week 6: 10/4 Boardman
Week 7: 10/11 Highland
Week 8: 10/18 East
Week 9: 10/25 Howland
Week 10 11/1 ???

This is according to Arbiter but it may not be 100% accurate, Lakeside may not be on the schedule at all.

Last edited by simkon; 10-20-18 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Corrected Mistakes
Old 10-20-18, 03:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Any chance Canfieldís enrollment drops in a while? If that would happen, that eventually could mean them joining the NE8.
The only thing Canfield has going for them is closed enrollment, and that will limit enrollment. And the fact they don't recruit kids might make a slight difference. But even so I think the other schools just don't want Canfield in the league for various reasons.
Old 10-20-18, 03:07 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
This the gotw Simkon?
I was told if Canfield or Poland was undefeated it would be for sure, otherwise, no guarantees.
It may be East vs Hubbard or Liberty vs Girard as well.
Either 3 would be good choices.
I think East vs Hubbard would be the best game of the 3.
Old 10-20-18, 03:28 PM
All World

That's an impressive schedule.
Old 10-20-18, 04:09 PM
All American

Quote:
That's an impressive schedule.
Canfield's schedule already ranks in the top 10 in D-III, depending on who all exactly is on the schedule next year Canfield may be the "Ursuline of D-III". Ursuline has by far the most difficult schedule in D-IV and it rivals some of the top D-I schools.
Old 10-20-18, 04:26 PM
All Region

stinkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Canfield's schedule
Week 3: Chardon???
Week 4: Alliance
Week 5: Lakeside???
Week 6: Lakeside???
Week 7: 10/4 Boardman
Week 8: 10/11 Highland
Week 9: 10/18 East
Week 10: 10/25 Howland

This is according to Arbiter but it may not be 100% accurate, Lakeside may not be on the schedule at all.
Glad to see Howland has Canfield on their schedule next year. This schedule is incredibly tough. Medina Highland is a tough pickup.
Old 10-20-18, 05:34 PM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
Canfield's schedule
Week 3: 9/13 Chardon???
Week 4: 9/20 Alliance
Week 5: 9/27 Lakeside???
Week 6: 10/4 Boardman
Week 7: 10/11 Highland
Week 8: 10/18 East
Week 9: 10/25 Howland
Week 10 11/1 ???

Not sure if Lakeside is off everyone’s schedule in AAC but last I heard they were not going to be Boardman’s week 10 opponent. Seeing the above, if week 10 is also open for Canfield, it could be cool to move the Boardman-Canfield game to the last game. I can see that rivalry building over time.

I think it’s also a little easier finding a week 6 opponent vs 10, in general. Not as easy as weeks 1-3 but still better.

Oddly enough, Boardman and Poland start playing next year. Doesn’t really make sense for Poland to drop Canfield but pickup Boardman. But who knows.
Old 10-20-18, 06:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Not sure if Lakeside is off everyoneís schedule in AAC but last I heard they were not going to be Boardmanís week 10 opponent. Seeing the above, if week 10 is also open for Canfield, it could be cool to move the Boardman-Canfield game to the last game.......
Oddly enough, Boardman and Poland start playing next year. Doesnít really make sense for Poland to drop Canfield but pickup Boardman. But who knows.
Not sure if week 10 is actually open or if it just isn't posted on Arbiter. Also last I knew Lakeside was considering retaining Canfield on the schedule, but not anyone else from the league, they may have already decided for all I know, but they wanted to leave Canfield as sort of a measuring stick for them.
Old 10-20-18, 06:35 PM
All World

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Stupid that this game is ending. Plain stupid.
Old 10-20-18, 06:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Stupid that this game is ending. Plain stupid.
It'll be like Boardman-Mooney. Give it 5 years.
Old 10-20-18, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Not sure if Lakeside is off everyoneís schedule in AAC but last I heard they were not going to be Boardmanís week 10 opponent. Seeing the above, if week 10 is also open for Canfield, it could be cool to move the Boardman-Canfield game to the last game. I can see that rivalry building over time.

I think itís also a little easier finding a week 6 opponent vs 10, in general. Not as easy as weeks 1-3 but still better.

Oddly enough, Boardman and Poland start playing next year. Doesnít really make sense for Poland to drop Canfield but pickup Boardman. But who knows.

Only reason why Poland isnít playing Canfield is because Canfield doesnít want to weeks 1-3. Since they have games already.Poland canít after that with the league. Canfield is expecting the league to shift around for that game which obviously wonít happen.

Poland is shrinking and they schedule Boardman? Kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Spread All Day; 10-21-18 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 08:58 PM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
Really
Old 10-20-18, 09:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Only reason why Poland isnít playing Canfield is because Canfield doesnít want to weeks 1-3. Poland canít after that with the league. Canfield is expecting the league to shift around for that game which obviously wonít happen.
Canfield already had contractual agreements for weeks 1-3 before the NE8 was even formed, they can't break them without a buyout.
Canfield's only for sure open date was week 10, they may have an opening week 5 as well if Lakeside opted not to continue playing.

The league had the ability to set the schedule any way they chose, they purposely left Canfield out of the league so of course they are not going to accommodate Poland vs Canfield week 10.

At the end of the day NE8 didn't even exist when Canfield scheduled weeks 1-4 for next year and the following year. They can't move the dates because their opponents do not have open dates later in the year due to their league play.
Old 10-21-18, 07:08 AM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
^^^^

This is correct.

Spread has no clue
Old 10-21-18, 07:10 AM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Poland is preparing to be a minor program.

They didn't want to get creamed annually by their biggest rival.

Poland's new rivals will all be D5 teams. They're athletic future is bleak, to say the least
Old 10-21-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
I would THINK Lakeside has weeks 4-10 covered with their new CVC arrangement, as the CVC "big" division that Lakeside is part of has eight teams in it.
Old 10-21-18, 02:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I would THINK Lakeside has weeks 4-10 covered with their new CVC arrangement, as the CVC "big" division that Lakeside is part of has eight teams in it.
Lakeside is showing this on Arbiter
8/30 OPEN
9/6 Madison
9/13 North
9/20 West Geauga
9/27 Chagrin Falls
10/4 Harvey
10/11 Geneva
10/18 Perry
10/25 Orange
11/1 Edgewood

If Louisville is open or flexible week 5 next year, Canfield can swap the dates to accommodate Lakeside in week 1.
Old 10-21-18, 02:31 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Lakeside’s opener is at Struthers next year.

https://struthersathletics.com/main/...asonid/4400911
Old 10-21-18, 02:36 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
So why did the new league squeeze Canfield out? We left bottom feeders in but don't invite a solid team with a winning tradition. Canfield isnt that much bigger than the top schools in the new league??
Old 10-21-18, 03:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Lakesideís opener is at Struthers next year
Well then week 5 and week 10 appear to be Open then.
Old 10-21-18, 03:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
So why did the new league squeeze Canfield out? We left bottom feeders in but don't invite a solid team with a winning tradition. Canfield isnt that much bigger than the top schools in the new league??
Canfield will be comparable in size to Niles, but definitely bigger and would definitely be the biggest in the league for the next 5-10 years. Canfield is losing kids to South Range, Western Reserve, WRA, US, Cardinal Mooney, Ursuline et al and the population of school aged kids is also dropping not going up. Granted everyone else is dropping in size much faster, but the gap between Canfield and the average enrollment of the NE8 teams is nothing compared to the gap between the average of Fitch, Harding & Boardman. Canfield is really in no man's land: not big enough to play the schedule of a D-I or large D-II school but not small enough to play a bunch of D-IV schools and a couple D-V schools. The fact they are closed enrollment does not help their ability to be competitive year in and year out against teams like Fitch, Harding, and Boardman.
Canfield would be the smallest or 2nd smallest school in the Suburban League American Division, but would be competitive in most sports and they field teams in several sports not many area teams sponsor, but the geography and logistics are not favourable, they would be an outlier being at the least 30 minutes by car to the closest school and at least an hour to some schools. If Canfield was 10-15 minutes further West along I-76, it might be feasible for them to join the league but as is, I just don't think it is at all realistic.
Old 10-21-18, 03:21 PM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
Lakeside is showing this on Arbiter
8/30 OPEN
9/6 Madison
9/13 North
9/20 West Geauga
9/27 Chagrin Falls
10/4 Harvey
10/11 Geneva
10/18 Perry
10/25 Orange
11/1 Edgewood

If Louisville is open or flexible week 5 next year, Canfield can swap the dates to accommodate Lakeside in week 1.
Looks like the type of schedule Lakeside should be playing. They were a terrible fit for AAC for every sport. It could not be fun being beat up week after week and driving a good distance as well. This schedule at least gives them some hope of being around .500. Perry is really the only consistently good team on that schedule (and they are D4).
Old 10-21-18, 03:30 PM
All World

Canfield, Louisville, Lake, Marlington, Alliance, Tallmadge, Kent Roosevelt, and Ravenna would be a nice little league. It's just that I don't think any of the other schools would leave their league structures.
Old 10-21-18, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
^^^^

This is correct.

Spread has no clue

WhAt was inaccurate ??

Canfield didnít want to cancel a game to
Play Poland and are whining about the new league. Literally nothing I said was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk