Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-13-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
1. Hoban 2. East 3. STVM 4. Barberton 5. Nordonia The Irish Have D3 State caliber talent.
...and some good it will do them three weeks from now.

I keep hearing about all of this talent, but they lost by an average of 30.5 points against the two good teams they played and lost to a good D4 team. This week, they squeaked by a .500 team that hasn't won a game this year over a .500 or better team. I'd love to see them be the talented team I keep hearing about, but I need to see it rather than hear it and that happens on the field.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 10-13-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 09:41 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Hoban
East
SVSM
Barberton
Nordonia
Revere
Buchtel
Stow
Mogadore
Manchester
also Twinsburg
Old 10-22-18, 10:24 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
STVM had 3 opponents (Walsh Jesuit, Ursuline and Glen Oak) that went 2-25. Massillon Hoban and Perry are all sitting atop in their regions with 2 of them being undefeated. Buchtel chrushed Ellet Benny May make the playoffs Mooney is down and McDonogh plays in the elite Washington DC Area league. The entire backfield returns in 19 along with a solid defensive Front 7. The Irish Will need to replace the Wr and secondary with outgoing seniors and basketball/Football transfers to East McKinley and Buchtel. Coach Nickol is adding discipline and changing the culture. It still comes down to the work in the off season by the offensive line. Time will tell if they can qualify for the 2019 playoffs.
Old 10-22-18, 11:18 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
I can appreciate your passion for the Irish, but I wouldn't try to sell us on their merits by pumping up a 3-6 Benny, and a Buchtel squad whose 5 wins are vs Woodridge and 4 bad City Series teams. I don't know anything about McDonogh except that they're 2-5. STVM is just a middle of the road football team at the moment, and I hope it starts trending back up next year.
Old 10-23-18, 11:28 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I can appreciate your passion for the Irish, but I wouldn't try to sell us on their merits by pumping up a 3-6 Benny, and a Buchtel squad whose 5 wins are vs Woodridge and 4 bad City Series teams. I don't know anything about McDonogh except that they're 2-5. STVM is just a middle of the road football team at the moment, and I hope it starts trending back up next year.
I can appreciate your bandwagoning homerism for Hoban, but you are more than a little uncharitable towards the Irish. They won the Region last year. They will likely finish 7-3 this year. They could have finished 8-2 except for an inexplicable collapse against and a great comeback by Perry. It is not the Irish fault that the teams on their schedule all seemed to have a bad year at the same time. True, they got clocked by Hoban and by Massillon, but there are more than a few teams that would have met the same fate against those two teams. True they aren't making the playoffs this year. And that even at 8-2 they may not have made it. But there are 8 very happy teams in Region 9 that they won't have to deal with the Irish. Had they made the playoffs, they certainly would have been the favorite in Region 9; whatever the seeding. And they would have been one of the favorites to win D3. The cards didn't fall in the Irish favor this year, and that's fine. In that respect, it's been a disappointing season on Green St. But, good luck to whoever comes out of Region 9. However to dismiss the Irish as nothing more than a middle of the road team is a little silly.
Old 10-23-18, 12:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
I can appreciate your bandwagoning homerism for Hoban, but you are more than a little uncharitable towards the Irish. They won the Region last year. They will likely finish 7-3 this year. They could have finished 8-2 except for an inexplicable collapse against and a great comeback by Perry. It is not the Irish fault that the teams on their schedule all seemed to have a bad year at the same time. True, they got clocked by Hoban and by Massillon, but there are more than a few teams that would have met the same fate against those two teams. True they aren't making the playoffs this year. And that even at 8-2 they may not have made it. But there are 8 very happy teams in Region 9 that they won't have to deal with the Irish. Had they made the playoffs, they certainly would have been the favorite in Region 9; whatever the seeding. And they would have been one of the favorites to win D3. The cards didn't fall in the Irish favor this year, and that's fine. In that respect, it's been a disappointing season on Green St. But, good luck to whoever comes out of Region 9. However to dismiss the Irish as nothing more than a middle of the road team is a little silly.
Middle of the road probably wasn't the best descriptor, but by STVM's standards they are not their usual self. He was trying to sell the fact that they beat Benny and Buchtel as some sort of validation of their season, which I found ridiculous. The schedule is not their fault, but if Glen Oak, Benny and Mooney were at their typical level, would this STVM team be good enough to beat all of them? Maybe, maybe not. Yes, they won a soft region last year where they clearly had more talent than any of those schools, but good St V teams of the recent past would've laid waste to that region, which they didn't do. Same would've probably happened this year if they got in, although Kenston and East are pretty good. D3 is just not a deep division right now, CB has definitely neutered it significantly. My point is, when you watch them play in person, they just aren't at the same level as recent years, and the lack of depth is very surprising. I was shocked how few kids are dressed compared to just 2-3 years ago. I pull for St V football every week except one, and I hope the new coach is the right guy and they're right back in the playoffs next year.

And my son is a senior football player at Hoban, so your bandwagon term is a swing and miss. He has a lot of friends in that school and on that team, and we're bummed they don't get to play past week 10 in their senior years.
Old 10-23-18, 02:32 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
If the Irish had their #1 RB for the Perry game, Terrance Keyes who was injured in the Hoban game, I don't think they would have lost. JMO
Old 10-23-18, 04:58 PM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Middle of the road probably wasn't the best descriptor, but by STVM's standards they are not their usual self. He was trying to sell the fact that they beat Benny and Buchtel as some sort of validation of their season, which I found ridiculous. The schedule is not their fault, but if Glen Oak, Benny and Mooney were at their typical level, would this STVM team be good enough to beat all of them? Maybe, maybe not. Yes, they won a soft region last year where they clearly had more talent than any of those schools, but good St V teams of the recent past would've laid waste to that region, which they didn't do. Same would've probably happened this year if they got in, although Kenston and East are pretty good. D3 is just not a deep division right now, CB has definitely neutered it significantly. My point is, when you watch them play in person, they just aren't at the same level as recent years, and the lack of depth is very surprising. I was shocked how few kids are dressed compared to just 2-3 years ago. I pull for St V football every week except one, and I hope the new coach is the right guy and they're right back in the playoffs next year.
Agree...Ever since Boarman left St. V has dropped dramatically and this is the worst St V team I have seen since Boarman. I saw them against Buchtel and was not that impressed with either team. Agree very few teams can compete with Hoban and Massillon but if Glen Oak, Benny, Mooney, and Ursuline were there normal selves St. V would have really struggled this year.

Hoban is getting Bucthel's kids and out recruiting St V. Hoban going up and St. V going down.
Old 10-23-18, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Hoban
Barberton
East
Nordonia
St. V
Stow
Revere
???
Old 10-23-18, 05:38 PM
All Region

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. Nordonia
5. St. V
6. Stow
7. Buchtel
8. Revere
9. Twinsburg
10. Hudson
11. Manchester
12. CVCA
13. Mogadore
14. Woodridge
15. Norton
Old 10-23-18, 05:47 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
Agree...Ever since Boarman left St. V has dropped dramatically and this is the worst St V team I have seen since Boarman. I saw them against Buchtel and was not that impressed with either team. Agree very few teams can compete with Hoban and Massillon but if Glen Oak, Benny, Mooney, and Ursuline were there normal selves St. V would have really struggled this year.

Hoban is getting Bucthel's kids and out recruiting St V. Hoban going up and St. V going down.
There definately seems to be an inverse relationship in what SVSM is doing versus what Hoban is doing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-18, 08:38 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
State championship probabilities of Summit County teams:

Hoban 75%
Everyone else 1%
Old 10-24-18, 09:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
State championship probabilities of Summit County teams:

Hoban 75%
Everyone else 1%
Eh, give Mogadore a slight nod here. Give them 10 or 12 percent.
Old 10-24-18, 09:29 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I'll give them a 10% chance to get to the championship game. I'll stick with the 1% because of Marion Local. Isn't Mogadore really a Portage County school anyways?
Old 10-24-18, 09:46 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
I'll give them a 10% chance to get to the championship game. I'll stick with the 1% because of Marion Local. Isn't Mogadore really a Portage County school anyways?
FYI,Mogadore is considered a Summit County school. The village actually split down the middle of the main street, Cleveland Avenue. School is on Summit County side. The fire, police and government offices in. Portage county. History and geography lesson 101.
Old 10-25-18, 01:31 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
It took Massillon 3 years, after a coaching change, to hit their stride. I think this is the issue with both St.V and Stow. These 2 programs historically play solid football, and I think you will see them return to the playoffs in the next couple of years. St.V had so much talent returning this year, that a coaching change, is the only reason I can see for the slow start.
1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. Mogadore
5. The Rest
Old 10-25-18, 07:19 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
It took Massillon 3 years, after a coaching change, to hit their stride. I think this is the issue with both St.V and Stow. These 2 programs historically play solid football, and I think you will see them return to the playoffs in the next couple of years. St.V had so much talent returning this year, that a coaching change, is the only reason I can see for the slow start.
1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. Mogadore
5. The Rest
The teams SVSM beat this season all had down seasons. The Second level points killed them. I think this, and the transfer of some key players, along with new coach all add to the reason they did not make the playoffs.
Old 10-27-18, 01:10 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
There definately seems to be an inverse relationship in what SVSM is doing versus what Hoban is doing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Itís that darn weight room, killing everybody being able to hold on to their players.
Old 10-27-18, 08:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
It’s that darn weight room, killing everybody being able to hold on to their players.
Its bigger then just weightroom. kids wanna win. My own Coventry is gonna have a job tryna keep most of its talent from thinking about jumping ship to Hoban, or SVSM now. Problem is, we were robbed. Rankin goes down with injury week 1. Coventry loses its run game and has to subsist with its passing game, with Hinzman going down with injury week 6/7. Because of that, a team that could have gotten 6-7 wins goes 3-7. Not a good look. Hoban is looking to feast on us now, that I can tell you. Hopefully we can turn things around next season, we do have a nice freshman/sophomore class. But in order to keep our talent, and our ability to win games going forward, we have GOT to get more w's next season. Otherwise were gonna fall back into that vicious cycle. Where we cant win games because we have little talent. We have little talent because our talent is going elsewhere. Our talent is going elsewhere because we aren't winning games.
Old 10-27-18, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Its bigger then just weightroom. kids wanna win. My own Coventry is gonna have a job tryna keep most of its talent from thinking about jumping ship to Hoban, or SVSM now. Problem is, we were robbed. Rankin goes down with injury week 1. Coventry loses its run game and has to subsist with its passing game, with Hinzman going down with injury week 6/7. Because of that, a team that could have gotten 6-7 wins goes 3-7. Not a good look. Hoban is looking to feast on us now, that I can tell you. Hopefully we can turn things around next season, we do have a nice freshman/sophomore class. But in order to keep those kids, were gonna have to start putting some more in the W column next year.
No one player should ever be the difference between being a decent team and a team that gets beaten by Springfield.
Old 10-27-18, 08:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
No one player should ever be the difference between being a decent team and a team that gets beaten by Springfield.
Such is life in the PTC. Not saying that our losses came from losing 1 player so much, as it comes down to losing that 1 player we could not afford to lose. Any other player, our team would have been ok. But losing a player that is so critical to your running game is gonna make life tough.
Old 10-27-18, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its bigger then just weightroom. kids wanna win. My own Coventry is gonna have a job tryna keep most of its talent from thinking about jumping ship to Hoban, or SVSM now. Problem is, we were robbed. Rankin goes down with injury week 1. Coventry loses its run game and has to subsist with its passing game, with Hinzman going down with injury week 6/7. Because of that, a team that could have gotten 6-7 wins goes 3-7. Not a good look. Hoban is looking to feast on us now, that I can tell you. Hopefully we can turn things around next season, we do have a nice freshman/sophomore class. But in order to keep our talent, and our ability to win games going forward, we have GOT to get more w's next season. Otherwise were gonna fall back into that vicious cycle. Where we cant win games because we have little talent. We have little talent because our talent is going elsewhere. Our talent is going elsewhere because we aren't winning games.
Wait a minute!!! You actually are saying that Hoban is looking at feasting on players from Coventry??? I have listened to you boast how Coventry has kept all of their talent? Name me 1 player from Coventry that has started at Hoban over the past 3 years state championship teams? Name me any freshman or sophomores that are currently starting at Hoban period? I would be more concerned about your kids going to Barberton or St V than to Hoban and ride the pine.
Old 10-27-18, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Wait a minute!!! You actually are saying that Hoban is looking at feasting on players from Coventry??? I have listened to you boast how Coventry has kept all of their talent? Name me 1 player from Coventry that has started at Hoban over the past 3 years state championship teams? Name me any freshman or sophomores that are currently starting at Hoban period? I would be more concerned about your kids going to Barberton or St V than to Hoban and ride the pine.

I dont think any Coventry kids have come to Barberton either
Old 10-27-18, 11:00 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
1. Hoban- Witout a doubt
2. Barberton- Nice to see them playing excellent football again
3. East- Transfers help
4. Nordonia- Impressive
5. St. V- What the heck happened?
6. Stow- Brutal schedule
7. CVCA- Having the best player/athlete in Ohio helps. This years seniors paid their dues playing as freshman and sophomores going 1-19.
8. Buchtel- Schedule is a monster
9. Mogadore- Just doing what Mogadore does.
10. Woodridge- From 0-4 to the playoffs, very impressive Woodridge. Tip my cap to you.
Old 10-27-18, 12:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Well, we were doing well keeping our talent while we were winning. But this season threatens to change that. Huh, maybe I should recruit some football players for my cross country team, lol. Ill keep an eye on the situation.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 10-27-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
1. Hoban- Witout a doubt
2. Barberton- Nice to see them playing excellent football again
3. East- Transfers help
4. Nordonia- Impressive
5. St. V- What the heck happened?
6. Stow- Brutal schedule
7. CVCA- Having the best player/athlete in Ohio helps. This years seniors paid their dues playing as freshman and sophomores going 1-19.
8. Buchtel- Schedule is a monster
9. Mogadore- Just doing what Mogadore does.
10. Woodridge- From 0-4 to the playoffs, very impressive Woodridge. Tip my cap to you.
Woodridge was in for about 20 hrs, but I believe Buchtel's win knocks them out.
Old 10-27-18, 04:09 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Woodridge was in for about 20 hrs, but I believe Buchtel's win knocks them out.
That is correct, Buchtel goes to Steubenville, and CVCA to Perry. I'm still tipping my cap to Woodridge. Many teams would have cashed it in at 0-4
Old 10-27-18, 04:32 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
1 hoban
2 barberton
3 nordonia
4 st v
5 buchtel
6 mogadore
7 cvca
8 buchtel
9 east
10 woodridge
Old 10-27-18, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Some random thoughts...

Congrats to Barberton on another fine season. Impressive run by Woodridge after a rough start. East, not again? Steubenville has to be sweating when they hear Ricky Powers' name! Nice to see the continued progress of CVCA.

Cuyahoga Falls, Springfield, North, Kenmore/Garfield and Walsh Jesuit...good luck in finding programs in the off season.
Old 10-30-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Hoban
Barberton
SVSM
Nordonia
Buchtel
East
Mogadore
Stow
Revere
Hudson
also CVCA, Manchester, Norton, Twinsburg

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 10-31-18 at 05:44 AM.