Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins DI State Championship: Massillon Jackson (29-2) vs Strongsville (25-8)
Massillon Jackson 11 57.89%
Strongsville 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-17, 08:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
DI State Championship: Massillon Jackson (29-2) vs Strongsville (25-8)

7 p.m. - DI State Championship: Massillon Jackson (29-2) vs Strongsville (25-8)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-17, 05:21 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Should Jackson win today, they will have the proud distinction of being the first D1 public in almost 50 years to win two of the three major boys state championships. Jackson could also net three state championships in one year if the Girls Lacrosse team wins the first-ever OHSAA state tournament, who are playing in Delaware a few hours earlier in the afternoon.

On the other hand, they could also have the unique distinction of: the basketball team losing to the D2 champion (SVSM), and the baseball team possibly having lost to the D2 and D3 champions (Tallmadge and Berlin Hiland, should they win). The Jackson football team, having made its first playoff appearance in 12 years, also lost to D5 state champion Canton Central Catholic.

Weird year, but it has never come easy for the purple and gold. GO BEARS!
Old 06-03-17, 09:24 AM
All Region

bumpy
From a Perry Panther ex-baseballer...wish nothing but the best to the Jackson team

GO POLAR BEARS
Old 06-03-17, 09:34 AM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Looks like this final is a rematch from a regular season game played in April, won by Jackson 4-3. Anyone know who pitched or any other details from that game? Both teams play starters in the April game? Will either team pitch a kid today the other team saw in April?
Old 06-03-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Right 88 View Post
Looks like this final is a rematch from a regular season game played in April, won by Jackson 4-3. Anyone know who pitched or any other details from that game? Both teams play starters in the April game? Will either team pitch a kid today the other team saw in April?
That game was the first of a doubleheader that day for the Bears. They later beat Toledo St. Francis 9-5. Pastorius started and Warren relieved and got the win.

For Strongsville, Homan started. Duplain and Robertson pitched in relief.

Strongsville said yesterday they would pitch lefty Jaret Beechy.

Jackson's coach wouldn't commit but it very well may be sophomore Yianni Skeriotis who pitched the regional final.
Old 06-03-17, 04:46 PM
All American

There's no thread for it so I'll post here -- Jackson girls lose to Upper Arlington 15-6. Upper Arlington wins third straight title (and first OHSAA title). Maybe they'll slay the beast next year, but amazing season regardless.
Old 06-03-17, 08:08 PM
All American

BEARS WIN 8-2

Amazing year for all the athletic programs. Things looked sketchy after that first loss to Hoover in basketball -- but what a comeback!

See you all in the fall!
Old 06-03-17, 08:15 PM
Junior Varsity

tOSUSteve is on a distinguished road
Congrats Bears

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-17, 08:38 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
BEARS WIN 8-2

Amazing year for all the athletic programs. Things looked sketchy after that first loss to Hoover in basketball -- but what a comeback!

See you all in the fall!
Congrats to Jackson! D1 and D2 championships coming home to NE Ohio today!
Old 06-03-17, 10:17 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Jackson on the title.
Old 06-04-17, 07:09 AM
All American

DB135 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Division I state baseball

Strongsville loses title to Polar Bears
Tim Bielik
tbielik@cleveland.com

Columbus — Strongsville baseball coach Doug Cicerchi called Massillon Jackson a team with no weakness.

The Polar Bears showed that balance with their ability to hit for power, play small ball, defend and pitch as they beat the Mustangs, 8-2, on Saturday for the Division I state championship at Huntington Park in Columbus.
''There's not a phase of the game they don't do well,'' Cicerchi said. ''They glove it real well. They throw strikes with above-average velocity for high school.
''The thing that I think they're a little bit underrated on is they swing the bats well, too. Just because they choose to play small ball doesn't mean they can't hit. They absolutely can swing the bats.''
The win gave Jackson (30-2) its second state baseball title in school history. It won its first
in 2014.
The Polar Bears scored all of their runs between the third and fifth innings. They had two in the third, and three in both the fourth and fifth.
Cade Mottice and Ohio State commitment Dillon Dingler each had two RBI. Dingler, in his final high school game, was a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate.
''We did a great job putting the ball in play no matter what it was,'' Dingler said. ''I feel that all throughout the lineup, we were putting the ball out. We were successful.''
On the mound, sophomore Yianni Skeriotis shined for the Polar Bears. He pitched a complete game and didn't allow a run until the sixth inning. He gave up six hits and struck out five in just 88 pitches.
RBI singles by Dingler and Kyle Nicolas in the third innings gave Jackson the lead for good at 2-0.
Nick Harrison hit a sacrifice
fly to make it 3-0 in the fourth. A bases-loaded walk and a bases-loaded balk scored two more Polar Bears, making it 5-0.
Cade Mottice had a tworun RBI double in the bottom of the fifth, and Dingler doubled to bring Mottice home and stretched the Polar Bears' lead to 8-0.
Multiple times throughout the game, Massillon Jackson showed a great ability to bunt, both for sacrifices to move runners up as well as getting bunt singles.
''That's something that we credit ourselves with, is putting pressure on the other team,'' Massillon Jackson coach Bill Gamble said. ''That's pressure baseball and that's passing the baton. That's what we do.''
Strongsville (26-9) scored both of its runs in the sixth on a throwing error by Dingler and a double by first baseman Noah Trizzino, who went 3-for-3 in his final high school game.
Old 06-04-17, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Great win for the Massillon Jackson Polar Bears! Congratulations to all!!

After State Tournament titles in both basketball and baseball for the Jackson Class of '17, is there any doubt that Title Town now wears Purple ?
Old 06-04-17, 01:05 PM
Junior Varsity

White Lightning is on a distinguished road
Polar Bear baseball is really becoming something different. Coach Billy Gamble has built a tremendous program that allows them to have a great chance for success every year. Although last years team had no D1 players, 10 went on to play college baseball. This years team was built a little differently with two D1 players mixed in with a few D2 players. At any rate, Billy G just takes what talent he has and helps them play to the best of their abilities. Congrats Bears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-17, 02:34 PM
All American

The foundation of the success of the Jackson varsity baseball program was laid many years ago with their youth program, the Jayhawks, by Massillon graduate Randy Cupari.
Old 06-04-17, 05:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB135 View Post
The foundation of the success of the Jackson varsity baseball program was laid many years ago with their youth program, the Jayhawks, by Massillon graduate Randy Cupari.

A strong youth program is important for sure but will only take you so far. Coach Gamble has created a major transformation in this program with his visionary Leadership, partnerships with the community and boosters, intense competition to get on the field and a highly skilled coaching staff.

Old 06-04-17, 05:35 PM
All American

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
A strong youth program is important for sure but will only take you so far. Coach Gamble has created a major transformation in this program with his visionary Leadership, partnerships with the community and boosters, intense competition to get on the field and a highly skilled coaching staff.

Any coach knows, if he starts teaching the fundamentals, at the youth level that the connection will provide a seamless transition, with all the related support groups at the varsity level. Massillon's program has followed this common sense approach to success.
Old 06-04-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any coach knows, if he starts teaching the fundamentals, at the youth level that the connection will provide a seamless transition, with all the related support groups at the varsity level.
You make it sound so easy. Why isn't every coach doing it and winning multiple State Championships?

Quote:
Massillon's program has followed this common sense approach to success.
Along with utilizing multiple good players from other school districts.
Old 06-04-17, 07:07 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Congrats Jackson
Old 06-04-17, 07:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
You make it sound so easy. Why isn't every coach doing it and winning multiple State Championships?

Along with utilizing multiple good players from other school districts.
I believe the post I responded to was to validate a successful formula for an athletic program. Of course you can't help but troll with your typical garbage. Tell me one problem Massillon has had with its baseball program. Attracting good players and coaches (Gilhousen) to a top program is common.

I coached in the high school summer program and there were NO recruiting problems.
Old 06-04-17, 08:28 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
1. Varsity coach arrested for possession of cocaine while driving a car in Cleveland.........his passenger arrested for trafficking in heroin.
Old 06-04-17, 08:35 PM
All American

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
1. Varsity coach arrested for possession of cocaine while driving a car in Cleveland.........his passenger arrested for trafficking in heroin.

Tell us the whole story about the Ignatius grad, that wasn't properly vetted in the hiring process and what that has to do with the topic, troll!
Old 06-04-17, 08:49 PM
All American

Lmao at you!

Your lame azz trolls a Jackson championship thread with the "couldn't have done it without a Massillon grad bs", then you ask a question....get answer you don't like and resort to calling me a troll.

Now crawl back into that drum of jock straps and sniff away.
Old 06-04-17, 08:56 PM
All American

Lightbulb

Quote:
Lmao at you!

Your lame azz trolls a Jackson championship thread with the "couldn't have done it without a Massillon grad bs", then you ask a question....get answer you don't like and resort to calling me a troll.

Now crawl back into that drum of jock straps and sniff away.
Facts are facts and try and dispute them by anyone that knows Jackson baseball, troll. Just like your reaching for an unrelated incident to try and drag the Massillon program down. Your response reflect what you are, goof.

No one is trying discount the Jackson accomplishments but Gamble inherited one of the better programs in the state.
Old 06-04-17, 09:04 PM
All American

Quote:
..... Tell me one problem Massillon has had with its baseball program.
Simpleton.
Old 06-04-17, 09:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Tell us the whole story about the Ignatius grad, that wasn't properly vetted in the hiring process and what that has to do with the topic, troll!
Simpleton x2.
Old 06-04-17, 09:08 PM
All American

Quote:
...... Just like your reaching for an unrelated incident to try and drag the Massillon program down. ......
Three times the simpleton.
Old 06-04-17, 09:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Any coach knows, if he starts teaching the fundamentals, at the youth level that the connection will provide a seamless transition, with all the related support groups at the varsity level. Massillon's program has followed this common sense approach to success.

No disrespect here but I can't say I've seen much baseball success at Massillon? They've certainly had some good players but I'm not sure you could say they've seen lots of success. And yes, Gamble took over a good program, he's just transformed them into something that is consistently great. Their two state championships are much more a reflection of what Gamble has brought to the program than any youth league Jayhawks impact as you referenced above.

Old 06-04-17, 09:29 PM
All American

Lightbulb

Quote:
Three times the simpleton.
Thanks for proving my point imbecile.
Old 06-04-17, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That guy got hired in as a quick fix because you guys were jealous of your neighbors' success. You vetted all that was cared about down there, pure and simple. Always wanting the shortcuts.

I was first exposed to Jackson's youth program when Dingler, Nicolas, the Mottices et al were 12u. No shortcuts. They've earned this.

When you bring your poo-flinging act from monkey island, you can't call "troll". Just stop.
Old 06-04-17, 09:43 PM
All American

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
No disrespect here but I can't say I've seen much baseball success at Massillon? They've certainly had some good players but I'm not sure you could say they've seen lots of success. And yes, Gamble took over a good program, he's just transformed them into something that is consistently great. Their two state championships are much more a reflection of what Gamble has brought to the program than any youth league Jayhawks impact as you referenced above.

Massillon has been one of the better teams in the district (high seeded) and competed with GlenOak and Jackson at the districts. GlenOak has been clearly been the best program in the country up to this point winning back-to-back championships.
for years and won sectional titles along with GlenOak and Jackson for the district championship.
Closed Thread