Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-25-17, 11:43 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Should this guy be in our high school HOF?

Here's a question that came up tonight among my high school buddies. There's a guy from our high school who, despite winning a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics, is ineligible for our high school hall of fame because he didn't star in at least two sports while in school. He was a state runner-up in track but average at best in basketball and football. I won't say my opinion, yet, but the question raised by one of my schoolmates who went to Michigan was whether Tom Brady should be in Michigan's hall of fame. Posing this question in the two forums I regularly check (boys soccer and hoops).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 05:24 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Two sport minimum? That seems to be a strange rule for school athletic HOF eligibility. That would likely leave out the best and most accomplished athletes in school history.

I can't imagine Kettering Alter, my alma mater, leaving out athletes like Jim Paxson, just because he only played basketball...or since this is a soccer thread, Gino DiGuardi, just because he only played soccer. They didn't even play two sports, let alone "star" in two.
Old 08-26-17, 07:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Two sport minimum? That seems to be a strange rule for school athletic HOF eligibility. That would likely leave out the best and most accomplished athletes in school history.

I can't imagine Kettering Alter, my alma mater, leaving out athletes like Jim Paxson, just because he only played basketball...or since this is a soccer thread, Gino DiGuardi, just because he only played soccer. They didn't even play two sports, let alone "star" in two.
Completely agree with you, BlackHawk. One difference is that our school is smaller than a school like Alter -- especially Alter decades ago -- is, but there should be exceptional situations. I teach/coach at another small school, and we had a Gatorade POY for soccer who also was MVP at a high school All-American game. He'll make our school's Hall of Fame (and should!), but he wouldn't be eligible at my alma mater.
Old 08-26-17, 08:32 PM
Freshman

Soccer0524 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post

AGREE!
Two sport minimum is absurd & pretty strange (Especially now, when head coaches want their kids training year round for ONE specialty.) I went to a small NWOhio HS that had great guys that lettered in multiple sports, but that was another era. I watched Jim Jackson play in our gym when I taught there. Watched LeBron play there in a tourney game. Can you imagine those parameters put upon athletes such as them?
If an athlete, male or female, is a product of your alma mater & achieves success in a sport (especially representing our COUNTRY?) that makes your school PROUD to say they are "one of ours" - then that is your answer.
The rule should be amended. A school needs to celebrate their success stories, and the current students need to see there's greatness in the achievement, not checking boxes off a list.
Old 08-26-17, 09:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer0524 View Post
AGREE!
Two sport minimum is absurd & pretty strange (Especially now, when head coaches want their kids training year round for ONE specialty.) I went to a small NWOhio HS that had great guys that lettered in multiple sports, but that was another era. I watched Jim Jackson play in our gym when I taught there. Watched LeBron play there in a tourney game. Can you imagine those parameters put upon athletes such as them?
If an athlete, male or female, is a product of your alma mater & achieves success in a sport (especially representing our COUNTRY?) that makes your school PROUD to say they are "one of ours" - then that is your answer.
The rule should be amended. A school needs to celebrate their success stories, and the current students need to see there's greatness in the achievement, not checking boxes off a list.
Well said, Soccer0524. LeBron was also all-state in football (and probably won a state title or two in football), but your point is well taken. Down here in Cincinnati, OJ Mayo led North College Hill to state championships in hoops on his way to the NBA. Absolutely HOF worthy.
Old 08-27-17, 06:42 PM
All District

Ilsco is on a distinguished road
going to have to disagree with you on the OJ Mayo point. (even though I know this is a soccer forum). I think the kid should have to graduate from the high school to be in the HOF. Not to pick on Mayo, but he and Walker and a few others selected NCH when he transferred from Kentucky. He had know allegiance or history with the school and then finished off in West Virginia when he ran into eligibility problems. (I am sure my bias comes through on this as the transfer in with a group for a few years and then leave is a pet peeve of mine)
Old 08-27-17, 07:03 PM
Freshman

Soccer0524 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStanley View Post
Well said, Soccer0524. LeBron was also all-state in football (and probably won a state title or two in football), but your point is well taken. Down here in Cincinnati, OJ Mayo led North College Hill to state championships in hoops on his way to the NBA. Absolutely HOF worthy.
So lemme try to bring this back around to soccer.....
If a boy or girl has success and accolades in HS playing soccer, but does NOT play ANY other sports (which is plausible now with HS soccer, club soccer, DA soccer.......) because they play soccer year-round in some form. And lets say the young athlete goes on to bigger and better things: NCAA Soccer or US Soccer maybe? And brings home a championship of some kind? Yet because of archaic parameters written during another time, another era, prevents them from HS HOF recognition?
Ya' no. No no no. Wrong message sent.
Celebrate ALL success stories that make you proud of your alma mater's athletes.
Old 08-27-17, 08:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsco View Post
going to have to disagree with you on the OJ Mayo point. (even though I know this is a soccer forum). I think the kid should have to graduate from the high school to be in the HOF. Not to pick on Mayo, but he and Walker and a few others selected NCH when he transferred from Kentucky. He had know allegiance or history with the school and then finished off in West Virginia when he ran into eligibility problems. (I am sure my bias comes through on this as the transfer in with a group for a few years and then leave is a pet peeve of mine)
Point very well taken. I'll have to think about that one. He really revived a proud but declining hoops program and gave unmatched excitement to that school and town. I share your distaste for transfers and there were far more at NCH beyond OJ and Bill Walker (a third straight state title after those two left resulted). But if I'm from North College Hill, I might see things differently.
Old 08-28-17, 08:32 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
A 2 sport criterion seems strange and arbitrary. I think my alma mater's criteria is first team all state OR POY in the area by a media publication OR some other special circumstance where you can be nominated.
Old 09-08-17, 03:40 PM
All District

LoveToBall is on a distinguished road
Silver medal in the Olympics? Put a statue up outside the school. Who cares about the Hall of Fame?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: