Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-26-17, 12:58 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You obviously are going to lean on results-based comparisons when player talent can't be objectively compared, because you're a butthurt a-hole now. It's what you do....

But OK. You've moaned so much that I'll give you something to play with....if for no other reason than you may come up with something creative to be a jerk.

Chuck Daly, Lenny, Nellie, Dr Jack, Hubie. Those 5 will always have been great coaches, and could adapt to the players Phil had. In the same era, they would have had similar results. Daly may even win more in LA, because maybe he keeps Shaq and makes it work.
None of those coaches would have won 11 titles in 20 years and 70% of their games. So your position is if someone doesn't believe any of these guys (Chuck Daly, Lenny, Nellie, Dr Jack, Hubie) would have duplicated Jackson's coaching record if they had Jackson's teams is a moron?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old 06-26-17, 01:15 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
None of those coaches would have won 11 titles in 20 years and 70% of their games.
With the same rosters in the same eras, the only potential difference being not opposing themselves ? Daly and Wilkins ?

That's your opinion, and you're obviously entitled to it. Too subjective to really go far with, imo. Kemp can hump some stats until he passes out, if he wants. I'm not that interested, but I'll stop back later.

I think it's definitely a possibility, myself. I was thinking more in terms of titles alone. Neither would have run/designed Phil's triangle, but I think Daly could perhaps have +/-1 to Phil in Chicago, and won more in LA.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-26-17, 01:18 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
None of those coaches would have won 11 titles in 20 years and 70% of their games. So your position is if someone doesn't believe any of these guys (Chuck Daly, Lenny, Nellie, Dr Jack, Hubie) would have duplicated Jackson's coaching record if they had Jackson's teams is a moron?
Nice quick add.

I never said duplicated, or replicated, ever. You just can't resist being a d-bag, can you ?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-26-17, 01:23 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Nice quick add.

I never said duplicated, or replicated, ever. You just can't resist being a d-bag, can you ?
How similar would they be to Phil then?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-26-17, 02:20 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You obviously are going to lean on results-based comparisons when player talent can't be objectively compared, because you're a butthurt a-hole now. It's what you do....

But OK. You've moaned so much that I'll give you something to play with....if for no other reason than you may come up with something creative to be a jerk.

Chuck Daly, Lenny, Nellie, Dr Jack, Hubie. Those 5 will always have been great coaches, and could adapt to the players Phil had. In the same era, they would have had similar results. Daly may even win more in LA, because maybe he keeps Shaq and makes it work.
The bold is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with what you said. You said they were successful without great talent. But yes, me asking you to back what you said is moaning. I guess next time I'll say something wildly stupid and ignore your requests to back my claim.

Chuck Daly
Successful years (50+ wins): 1986-1987 to 1990-1991
Great talent featured in those years: Joe Dumars, Adrian Dantley, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman
Not Successful Without Great Talent.

Lenny Wilkens
Successful years: 1977-1978 to 1979-1980, 1981-1982, 1988-1989, 1991-1992 to 1993-1994, 1996-1997 to 1997-1998
Great Talent featured in those years: Gus Williams (1981-1982), Brad Daugherty, Mark Price, Dominique Wilkins, Dikembe Mutombo
Multiple Seasons Successful Without Great Talent

Don Nelson
Successful years: 1980-1981 to 1986-1987, 1991-1992, 1993-1994, 2000-2001 to 2003-2004
Great Talent featured in those years: Sidney Moncrief, Marques Johnson, Terry Cummings, Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash
Not Successful Without Great Talent

Jack Ramsay
Successful Years: 1968-1969, 1974-1975, 1976-1977 to 1977-1978
Great Talent featured in those years: Billy Cunningham, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Bill Walton, Bob McAdoo, Maurice Lucas
Not Successful Without Great Talent

Hubie Brown
Successful Years: 1974-1975 (ABA), 1978-1979 to 1979-1980, 2003-2004
Great Talent featured in those years: Artis Gilmore, Bernard King, Pau Gasol
One could consider 1978-1979 and 1979-1980 as successful years without great talent. They went 5-4 in the playoffs in 78-79, won 50 games in 79-80 but went 1-4 in the playoffs. 03-04 they were swept in the first round.


So congrats, you named 1, Lenny Wilkins! Who had 3 seasons, from 1977-1978 to 1979-1980, that would be considered successful without great talent. Hubie Brown is a maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-26-17, 02:23 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Obviously it's about your use of the concept "YOUR argument" (meaning "mine" and not those you guys invented), dolt.

Thanks for doubling down on lame
You engaged in a discussion with differing viewpoints. It's an argument. I never said "YOUR" argument. Thanks for doubling down on stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-26-17, 04:02 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
The bold is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with what you said. You said they were successful without great talent. But yes, me asking you to back what you said is moaning. I guess next time I'll say something wildly stupid and ignore your requests to back my claim.

Chuck Daly
Successful years (50+ wins): 1986-1987 to 1990-1991
Great talent featured in those years: Joe Dumars, Adrian Dantley, Isiah Thomas, Dennis Rodman
Not Successful Without Great Talent.

Lenny Wilkens
Successful years: 1977-1978 to 1979-1980, 1981-1982, 1988-1989, 1991-1992 to 1993-1994, 1996-1997 to 1997-1998
Great Talent featured in those years: Gus Williams (1981-1982), Brad Daugherty, Mark Price, Dominique Wilkins, Dikembe Mutombo
Multiple Seasons Successful Without Great Talent

Don Nelson
Successful years: 1980-1981 to 1986-1987, 1991-1992, 1993-1994, 2000-2001 to 2003-2004
Great Talent featured in those years: Sidney Moncrief, Marques Johnson, Terry Cummings, Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway, Chris Webber, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash
Not Successful Without Great Talent

Jack Ramsay
Successful Years: 1968-1969, 1974-1975, 1976-1977 to 1977-1978
Great Talent featured in those years: Billy Cunningham, Hal Greer, Chet Walker, Bill Walton, Bob McAdoo, Maurice Lucas
Not Successful Without Great Talent

Hubie Brown
Successful Years: 1974-1975 (ABA), 1978-1979 to 1979-1980, 2003-2004
Great Talent featured in those years: Artis Gilmore, Bernard King, Pau Gasol
One could consider 1978-1979 and 1979-1980 as successful years without great talent. They went 5-4 in the playoffs in 78-79, won 50 games in 79-80 but went 1-4 in the playoffs. 03-04 they were swept in the first round.


So congrats, you named 1, Lenny Wilkins! Who had 3 seasons, from 1977-1978 to 1979-1980, that would be considered successful without great talent. Hubie Brown is a maybe.
Sorry, d-bag. You don't get to define "great talent". Great stat-humping, though. Right on cue.

This one actually was my argument, if you recall. Since you're too arrogantly stupid to ask what I meant by one of the few statements that I actually made, I'll provide you with the proper information. This below is "great talent" -

Quote:
NBA Top 50 All-time (8/26/11, right after Jackson's final season)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar------- Nate Archibald
**Paul Arizin** -------Charles Barkley
Rick Barry------- Elgin Baylor
Dave Bing ------Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain ----Bob Cousy
Dave Cowens---- Billy Cunningham
Dave DeBusschere---- Clyde Drexler
Julius Erving---- Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier---- George Gervin
Hal Greer---- John Havlicek
Elvin Hayes---- Magic Johnson
Sam Jones--- Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas---- Karl Malone
Moses Malone--- Pete Maravich
Kevin McHale---- George Mikan
Earl Monroe--- Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal--- Robert Parish
Bob Pettit--- Scottie Pippen
Willis Reed ---Oscar Robertson
David Robinson--- Bill Russell
Dolph Schayes--- Bill Sharman
John Stockton--- Isiah Thomas
Nate Thurmond---- Wes Unseld
Bill Walton--- Jerry West
Lenny Wilkens--- James Worthy

***I think it's fair to substitute Kobe Bryant for Paul Arizin***
Voters for the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (player), Marv Albert (media), Al Attles (team), Red Auerbach (team), Elgin Baylor (team), Dave Bing (player), Larry Bird (team), Marty Blake (team), Fran Blinebury (media), Bill Bradley (player), Hubie Brown (team), Wilt Chamberlain (player), Mitch Chortkoff (media), Bob Cousy (player), Billy Cunningham (team), Chuck Daly (team), David DuPree (media), Wayne Embry (team), Julius Erving (player), Joe Gilmartin (media), Sam Goldaper (media), Alex Hannum (team), Lester Harrison (team), John Havlicek (player), Chick Hearn (media), Red Holzman (team), Phil Jasner (media), Earvin Johnson (player), John Kerr (player), Leonard Koppet (media), Bob Lanier (player), Frank Layden (team), Leonard Lewin (media), Jack McCallum (media), Dick McGuire (team), George Mikan (player), Bob Pettit (player), Harvey Pollack (team), Jack Ramsay (team), Willis Reed (team), Oscar Robertson (player), Bill Russell (player), Bob Ryan (media), Dolph Schayes (player), Bill Sharman (player), Gene Shue (team), Isiah Thomas (team), Wes Unseld (team), Peter Vecsey (media), Jerry West (team)
from here - http://www.nba.com/history/features/nba-at-50-players/

I think it's fair to **substitute^^ Kobe Bryant for Paul Arizin.** You won't argue that, right ?

Both of Phil's championship teams have two top 50's contemporary to the eras of the coaches I noted. That's huge.

This below was your response to my - "Has Phil ever had a great coaching performance without great talent ? Can you think of a season ?", which also began this particular tangent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Name one.

93-94, 55 win team without the best player to ever play. 2 wins less than the previous year with said GOAT and a title.
That one year w/o Jordan that you wanted to swing on Phil's for still had a top 50 in Pippen sort of originating the "point forward" and causing unusual defensive match-ups, Horace Grant averaging 15 at 52% and 11 reb, and BJ Armstrong averaging 15 and adding 5 assists to Pippen's. That's talent of at least the same level as you tag 4 coaches for up there.

Add a capable rotation of rim protectors and outside shooters that don't provide thrills for a stat-humper like you to an efficient offensive mindset, and you get the NBA's 6 overall scoring defense and #2 in defensive rebound %. That can get you a great regular season with those solid players and a top 50 all time leading them.

The per 36 numbers on the line-up of scrubs that Krause allowed Phil to rotate were pretty sweet, huh ?

Decent try on you're part up there, though.

Sadly, you're still an idiot. Your answer for Phil's ever having a great season by your own standard you just set in your most recent post has to be "nope" now.

Good job of swallowing the NBA hype up to the short and curlies, though Phil was a great coach. I never said he wasn't. They all need great talent to prove it, and he's no exception.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-26-17 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Good job....
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-26-17, 07:46 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
There's no reason at all to believe any of those guys would put up similar records as Jackson.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-27-17, 05:27 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
Coaching is not an exact science ... the really good coaches would not win the exact same number of games if you switched them around ... most of the time, success comes from having the right combination of people (players & coaches) ... you can't just sub one great one (coach or player) in for another and expect the same results ... How well they fit together does matter ... with that said, I also think you could sub in another coach into a situation and they could do as well or better ... if it is a good fit. Is there a coach that could have replicated the success of Phil, probably. Who, I don't know. With that said, it also takes a certain type of personality to be able to deal with a very talented team, this was Phil's strength, probably as good at this as any body in NBA history (Red?)

In conclusion, your both a little right ... and a little wrong. Almost impossible to know for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-27-17, 06:20 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Sorry, d-bag. You don't get to define "great talent". Great stat-humping, though. Right on cue.

This one actually was my argument, if you recall. Since you're too arrogantly stupid to ask what I meant by one of the few statements that I actually made, I'll provide you with the proper information. This below is "great talent" -


from here - http://www.nba.com/history/features/nba-at-50-players/

I think it's fair to **substitute^^ Kobe Bryant for Paul Arizin.** You won't argue that, right ?

Both of Phil's championship teams have two top 50's contemporary to the eras of the coaches I noted. That's huge.

This below was your response to my - "Has Phil ever had a great coaching performance without great talent ? Can you think of a season ?", which also began this particular tangent.



That one year w/o Jordan that you wanted to swing on Phil's for still had a top 50 in Pippen sort of originating the "point forward" and causing unusual defensive match-ups, Horace Grant averaging 15 at 52% and 11 reb, and BJ Armstrong averaging 15 and adding 5 assists to Pippen's. That's talent of at least the same level as you tag 4 coaches for up there.

Add a capable rotation of rim protectors and outside shooters that don't provide thrills for a stat-humper like you to an efficient offensive mindset, and you get the NBA's 6 overall scoring defense and #2 in defensive rebound %. That can get you a great regular season with those solid players and a top 50 all time leading them.

The per 36 numbers on the line-up of scrubs that Krause allowed Phil to rotate were pretty sweet, huh ?

Decent try on you're part up there, though.

Sadly, you're still an idiot. Your answer for Phil's ever having a great season by your own standard you just set in your most recent post has to be "nope" now.

Good job of swallowing the NBA hype up to the short and curlies, though Phil was a great coach. I never said he wasn't. They all need great talent to prove it, and he's no exception.
So I can't define great talent but you can? Nah, that's not really how this works. Using that moronic logic, another 2-4 guys on that list would no longer be considered a "great talent" because LeBron and Durant (and arguments can be made for a handful of other guys) would remove them. Nope, sorry. Everyone I listed was All NBA during their time in those "successful" seasons and many went on the the HOF for their basketball play. Utterly moronic to not consider those guys "great talent." But then again, I guess I forgot who I was talking to for a second. But I'll have to remember that for a later use, no one, including Kyrie, in the Cavs history can be considered great.

BJ Armstrong, when including defense, was slightly worse than league average that year. Horce was the only other player on the Bulls to be noticeably better than league average that year. But either way, it doesn't change the fact Phil Jackson won 2 less games and went nearly just as far in the playoffs without the greatest player of all time. Other than A few of Wilkins early coaching years in Milwaukee, which I've already conceded to being successful without great talent, every team listed had better 2nd and 3rd options. So no, those are not similar talents to what the other coaches had.

You're correct. 1993-94, Phil had a great talent. Still doesn't change the fact it's one of the most impressive coaching seasons in NBA history.

Old man struggling to comprehend what he's reading. The standard wasn't set to determine if they had successful coaching seasons. Phil still had an incredibly successful season. Try figuring out what it is you're arguing and then come back.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-27-17, 07:33 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
So I can't define great talent but you can? Nah, that's not really how this works. Using that moronic logic, another 2-4 guys on that list would no longer be considered a "great talent" because LeBron and Durant (and arguments can be made for a handful of other guys) would remove them. Nope, sorry. Everyone I listed was All NBA during their time in those "successful" seasons and many went on the the HOF for their basketball play. Utterly moronic to not consider those guys "great talent." But then again, I guess I forgot who I was talking to for a second. But I'll have to remember that for a later use, no one, including Kyrie, in the Cavs history can be considered great.

BJ Armstrong, when including defense, was slightly worse than league average that year. Horce was the only other player on the Bulls to be noticeably better than league average that year. But either way, it doesn't change the fact Phil Jackson won 2 less games and went nearly just as far in the playoffs without the greatest player of all time. Other than A few of Wilkins early coaching years in Milwaukee, which I've already conceded to being successful without great talent, every team listed had better 2nd and 3rd options. So no, those are not similar talents to what the other coaches had.

You're correct. 1993-94, Phil had a great talent. Still doesn't change the fact it's one of the most impressive coaching seasons in NBA history.

Old man struggling to comprehend what he's reading. The standard wasn't set to determine if they had successful coaching seasons. Phil still had an incredibly successful season. Try figuring out what it is you're arguing and then come back.

You ignored the voters at the bottom of that list, then ?

They^, LBJ and KD, weren't playing on either of Phil's teams, dummy. Jeez, what a goof you are.

SO, your final answer to the question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
......Has Phil ever had a great coaching performance without great talent ? Can you think of a season ?
.....is, "No. No I can't" Got it.

You fail.

Younger (not young anymore ) punk trying to move the goalposts and declare victory

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-27-17 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-27-17, 07:44 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
There's no reason at all to believe any of those guys would put up similar records as Jackson.
There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't, given that no one really had rosters that sound top to bottom in that era.

But that list was of guys that I felt had great coaching performances without great talent. You applied my list for Kemp's question to Phil's rosters

Then goof ball held their teams up against Phil's 93-94 record and tried to pretend the rosters were essentially equal. Deflecting d-bag
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-27-17, 07:50 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Coaching is not an exact science ... the really good coaches would not win the exact same number of games if you switched them around ... most of the time, success comes from having the right combination of people (players & coaches) ... you can't just sub one great one (coach or player) in for another and expect the same results ... How well they fit together does matter ... with that said, I also think you could sub in another coach into a situation and they could do as well or better ... if it is a good fit. Is there a coach that could have replicated the success of Phil, probably. Who, I don't know. With that said, it also takes a certain type of personality to be able to deal with a very talented team, this was Phil's strength, probably as good at this as any body in NBA history (Red?)

In conclusion, your both a little right ... and a little wrong. Almost impossible to know for sure.
Well sure. They're just combative idiots, and I'm both dumb enough and bored enough to play along this time. Another day, I'll ignore them.

What about the notion that a coach with a different personality could have managed the egos of Kobe and Shaq differently, and kept them together longer ? Daly, Pop, Lenny, Riley ?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-27-17, 07:50 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't, given that no one really had rosters that sound top to bottom in that era.

But that list was of guys that I felt had great coaching performances without great talent. You applied my list for Kemp's question to Phil's rosters

Then goof ball held their teams up against Phil's 93-94 record and tried to pretend the rosters were essentially equal
There's absolutely every reason to believe they wouldn't, just based on their past coaching records.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-27-17, 07:51 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Well sure. They're just combative idiots, and I'm both dumb enough and bored enough to play along this time. Another day, I'll ignore them.

What about the notion that a coach with a different personality could have managed the egos of Kobe and Shaq differently, and kept them together longer ? Daly, Pop, Lenny, Riley ?
Sounds like a pretty decent stupid notion.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-27-17, 07:55 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Coaching is not an exact science ... the really good coaches would not win the exact same number of games if you switched them around ... most of the time, success comes from having the right combination of people (players & coaches) ... you can't just sub one great one (coach or player) in for another and expect the same results ... How well they fit together does matter ... with that said, I also think you could sub in another coach into a situation and they could do as well or better ... if it is a good fit. Is there a coach that could have replicated the success of Phil, probably. Who, I don't know. With that said, it also takes a certain type of personality to be able to deal with a very talented team, this was Phil's strength, probably as good at this as any body in NBA history (Red?)

In conclusion, your both a little right ... and a little wrong. Almost impossible to know for sure.
No doubt no one would know for sure, but Phil did it, those guys didn't, so to suggest that anyone who doesn't believe those guys would have put up similar records as Phil is a moron is a truly moronic statement made by a moron.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-27-17, 08:24 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You ignored the voters at the bottom of that list, then ?

They^, LBJ and KD, weren't playing on either of Phil's teams, dummy. Jeez, what a goof you are.

SO, your final answer to the question,



.....is, "No. No I can't" Got it.

You fail.

Younger (not young anymore ) punk trying to move the goalposts and declare victory
I didn't say they were, dummy. You are really struggling with comprehension lately. I said using your moronic logic 2-5 of the currently listed top 50 would no longer be considered great because Kobe, LeBron and Durant and a handful of others would bump them. Does that mean those 2-5 bumped off are no longer great talents? Nah. They were still great talents.

Nah. Let's take a look at what you originally said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He's not succeeded as a coach without an alpha like MJ or Kobe to set the tone
And I pointed to his successful 1993-94 season with Pippen, who is not an alpha like MJ or Kobe.

You fail.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-27-17, 08:26 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Then goof ball held their teams up against Phil's 93-94 record and tried to pretend the rosters were essentially equal. Deflecting d-bag
Holy sh*t, you really have no idea what you're reading. That's not what I did at all. You're such a dumb POS.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-27-17, 10:22 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
No doubt no one would know for sure, but Phil did it, those guys didn't, so to suggest that anyone who doesn't believe those guys would have put up similar records as Phil is a moron is a truly moronic statement made by a moron.
I am sure I get what you are saying ... Yes, you have to give Phil credit, it is not as easy as most people think coaching great teams, especially over time. To keep them all on the same page and motivated is difficult, not everyone could do it ... but to say Phil is the only person who could have done it, is probably wrong also or to say because they didn't do it with their teams so they could not have done it with Phil's teams is probably wrong also.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-27-17, 10:49 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
I am sure I get what you are saying ... Yes, you have to give Phil credit, it is not as easy as most people think coaching great teams, especially over time. To keep them all on the same page and motivated is difficult, not everyone could do it ... but to say Phil is the only person who could have done it, is probably wrong also or to say because they didn't do it with their teams so they could not have done it with Phil's teams is probably wrong also.
There's just no reason to believe they could have.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 06-27-17, 11:37 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,265
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
To say they probably wouldn't have is 100% accurate and logical. To say one of them might have at least is reasonable, but still unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-27-17, 11:39 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
"Can there be any doubt.." that e_p loves him some Phil Jackson ?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-27-17, 11:56 AM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
There's just no reason to believe they could have.
Was there any reason to believe at Bill Belichick could be successful after his coaching stint in Cleveland ... no, but in a better situation become wildly successful. Just because you didn't do something in one situation does not mean you couldn't in another situation ... just look at Mike De'Antoni, NBA coach of the year ... in the right situation is succesful (HOU/ARIZ) but in a different situation(NY) looked awful ... to say that Phil Jackson in the history of the world is the only person who could have done what he did is just plain ignorant! or being a troll.

PS - Red Auerbach -- could he have done it?
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-27-17, 11:58 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,265
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
To say anyone, in any setting, would likely attain incredible greatness is just plain stupid. Of course people do attain incredible greatness, but it's never a likely occurrence. Pretty basic stuff here, guys.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-27-17, 12:00 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
To say anyone, in any setting, would likely attain incredible greatness is just plain stupid. Of people do attain incredible greatness, but it's never a likely occurrence. Pretty basic stuff here, guys.
Has anyone on here said that??????????????????
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-27-17, 12:02 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,265
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
You are arguing that other coaches could have achieved the same success Phil did. Sure it's possible, but not at all likely.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-27-17, 12:09 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,378
joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
You are arguing that other coaches could have achieved the same success Phil did. Sure it's possible, but not at all likely.
So if no one else but Phil could have done what he did ... then why is the basketball savant not succeeding in NY????????????????
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-27-17, 12:17 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Was there any reason to believe at Bill Belichick could be successful after his coaching stint in Cleveland ... no, but in a better situation become wildly successful. Just because you didn't do something in one situation does not mean you couldn't in another situation ... just look at Mike De'Antoni, NBA coach of the year ... in the right situation is succesful (HOU/ARIZ) but in a different situation(NY) looked awful ... to say that Phil Jackson in the history of the world is the only person who could have done what he did is just plain ignorant! or being a troll.

PS - Red Auerbach -- could he have done it?
Jackson may not be the ONLY guy capable of achieving what he did, however the likelihood of any of those other guys posting similar or equal results is very highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-27-17, 12:33 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 28,628
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Jackson may not be the ONLY guy capable of achieving what he did, however the likelihood of any of those other guys posting similar or equal results is very highly unlikely.
Channeling your inner Yogi Berra, _poser ?
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-27-17, 12:35 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 2,265
WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
So if no one else but Phil could have done what he did ... then why is the basketball savant not succeeding in NY????????????????
I didn't say no one else could, but to assume as much would be asinine. Also, his position in NYC has nothing to do with his coaching resume. They are two completely different matters.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DI State Championship: Massillon Jackson (29-2) vs Strongsville (25-8) Yappi Baseball 96 06-07-17 08:37 AM
DI State Semifinal: West Chester Lakota West vs Massillon Jackson Yappi Baseball 9 06-02-17 04:48 PM
DI Canton Region: Walsh Jesuit vs Jackson Yappi Baseball 11 05-30-17 10:26 PM
Massillon Tigers Athletics DB135 Massillon Tigers 15 05-30-17 01:22 AM
Drama in Jackson: Tallmadge 7, Jackson 4 and the rain is pouring Yappi Baseball 6 04-29-17 01:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz