Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-21-18, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

I wish Mayfield still was driving a clipboard.
Then apparently you like losing. Do you repeatedly put your hand on a burning stove over & over again too?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

I'm sure it was mentioned but it's funny how the "crappy O-Line/running game" looks significantly better with competent QB play.

I know Hue has to play the party line but his post game presser implying he's not committed to a QB for Oakland is ridiculous.
Old 09-21-18, 06:46 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Jackson was right not to make a decision concerning the starting QB next week; after looking at the tapes, would be shocked if Jackson doesn't name Mayfield the starter. Taylor is exactly the QB he has been in Buffalo, not a quick decision maker and not accurate. Mayfield is far superior to Taylor when it comes to throwing a football, makes decisions quicker and recognizes defenses better.
It is only one game, but he is a lot better than I thought he would be. The real test will be when defenses scheme to counter his style of play. Darnold was impressive in his first game, not so much by his 3rd game. Mayfield definitely aced his first test and looks like the Browns have found a real QB
Old 09-21-18, 07:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
It is only one game, but he is a lot better than I thought he would be.
Not me. To me, Mayfield is the most NFL ready QB to come out since Andrew Luck.
Old 09-21-18, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Wow, what a night. That place was like a damn morgue for the first 27 minutes and when Mayfield came in the entire mood of the place flipped. Taylor is a hard worker and appears to be a good man, but there's a very good reason he's spent a good portion of his career in a backup role. Until he went out, that was one of the most putrid NFL QB performances I had seen in a while.

Mayfield's rookie season is not likely to be all sunshine and rainbows, but the team clearly plays better with him back there. It has a completely different energy. With time to prepare and some tape, DCs will throw stuff at him he's never seen and he'll have his stumbles, but damn, at least now there's something excitement for the fans.

Darnold's numbers weren't great, but he is clearly talented. He made some great throws last night and remained poised under a lot of pressure.
Old 09-21-18, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

“What a night. You can’t deny the talent. You can’t deny what he is able to do. He showed that tonight. It was his coming out party,” said coach Hue Jackson.

“That boy’s a baller, man. There’s nothing to say but he’s a winner,” said receiver Rashard Higgins.

“He’s confident. He’s always fired up,” said receiver Antonio Callaway.

“He’s special. He’s really special,” said receiver Jarvis Landry.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/p...hing-real-good

“Cleveland deserves a win, but we are not done yet,” Mayfield said. “Don’t break the Dilly Dilly coolers too hard. Just enjoy it. We deserve it, but at the same time, we’re just getting started.”

These comments show me there's a confidence in at least one of these guys among his teammates.
Old 09-21-18, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
We have a new star in the midst.

We have a new dynasty starting.

This is the Browns division to win for the foreseeable future.

The energy he brought to the team is something only the very special players possess. It is a gift and one that you cannot teach, you cannot learn and you cannot fake it.

He has all the intangibles of becoming a mega star for the city and the league.

AFC North take notice, the browns are back.
Old 09-21-18, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
I'm sure it was mentioned but it's funny how the "crappy O-Line/running game" looks significantly better with competent QB play.

I know Hue has to play the party line but his post game presser implying he's not committed to a QB for Oakland is ridiculous.
I came over to your side of thinking about Mayfield, and it came before Mayfield took the field. When Taylor underthrew Calloway, that did it for me. You get a guy that wide open on a deep route and you underthrow him, that's unforgivable. You don't get that many opportunities like that in a game. The way he threw it, like it was a sideline fade, finally convinced me what you have been saying all along and it was starkly apparent on that throw: he doesn't have the arm. His heave to Calloway in New Orleans was reminiscent of Charlie Frye to Braylon Edwards a few years ago: a rainbow that the receiver just out-ran. You were right, I was wrong. Happy to admit it.

As for Jackson's press conference comments, let's cut the guy some slack. You don't kick a guy, someone the team voted as a captain, while he's down. EVERYONE, including Jackson and including Taylor, knows that Mayfield has the job. But Jackson was protecting a veteran who lost his on a national stage.
Old 09-21-18, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

That was just coach speak about Turrodd and whom will start next week.

Baker will start the remainder of the season unless he gets injured.
Old 09-21-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wow, what a night. That place was like a damn morgue for the first 27 minutes and when Mayfield came in the entire mood of the place flipped. Taylor is a hard worker and appears to be a good man, but there's a very good reason he's spent a good portion of his career in a backup role. Until he went out, that was one of the most putrid NFL QB performances I had seen in a while.

Mayfield's rookie season is not likely to be all sunshine and rainbows, but the team clearly plays better with him back there. It has a completely different energy. With time to prepare and some tape, DCs will throw stuff at him he's never seen and he'll have his stumbles, but damn, at least now there's something excitement for the fans.

Darnold's numbers weren't great, but he is clearly talented. He made some great throws last night and remained poised under a lot of pressure.
Do you think the Jets' DC changed anything when Mayfield came in the game? Nope. Mayfield nullified what the Jets were doing by getting the ball out of his hand quickly, on time and on target. Plus, his pocket presence is outstanding. I'm not saying Mayfield is a finished product, far from it. But he looked poised, he looked prepared, and his teammates responded to him. The players see the practices. They know how the kid plays. You could sense they were waiting for this moment.
Old 09-21-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
It sure is a GOOD Friday in the Cleveland area,what a deference a game can make...BAM!
Old 09-21-18, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Todd Bowles taking some serious heat from the New York media-

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/todd-b...ciplined-jets/
Old 09-21-18, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
Do you think the Jets' DC changed anything when Mayfield came in the game? Nope. Mayfield nullified what the Jets were doing by getting the ball out of his hand quickly, on time and on target. Plus, his pocket presence is outstanding. I'm not saying Mayfield is a finished product, far from it. But he looked poised, he looked prepared, and his teammates responded to him. The players see the practices. They know how the kid plays. You could sense they were waiting for this moment.
No question. He has a sense in the pocket Taylor has never had. He's also working with an Intel processor while Taylor works with an abacus. He's going to have his ups and downs as a rookie, but that's sure one hell of a lot better than the downs and flat lines from Tyrod.
Old 09-21-18, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I came over to your side of thinking about Mayfield, and it came before Mayfield took the field. When Taylor underthrew Calloway, that did it for me. You get a guy that wide open on a deep route and you underthrow him, that's unforgivable. You don't get that many opportunities like that in a game. The way he threw it, like it was a sideline fade, finally convinced me what you have been saying all along and it was starkly apparent on that throw: he doesn't have the arm. His heave to Calloway in New Orleans was reminiscent of Charlie Frye to Braylon Edwards a few years ago: a rainbow that the receiver just out-ran. You were right, I was wrong. Happy to admit it.

As for Jackson's press conference comments, let's cut the guy some slack. You don't kick a guy, someone the team voted as a captain, while he's down. EVERYONE, including Jackson and including Taylor, knows that Mayfield has the job. But Jackson was protecting a veteran who lost his on a national stage.
The under throw to Callaway was when I knew this wasn't going to be Tyrod's night. To me, he's not horrible (he was last night) but he's not great. His play last night was Ryan Leaf-like which begs the question of whether something was wrong with him before he came out. He's usually middle of the road but that was horrific.

I've had a high degree of certainty that what we saw from Baker last night was what we'd see. Yes, he'll have ups & downs but there will be much more positive than negative.

As I said previously, the moment isn't too big for him. He's overcome every obstacle he's ever had and thrived. I expect no different from him now. I said on numerous occasions, before returning to this site "if Mayfield's 2 inches taller, it's a no brainer on who the #1 overall QB should be." The other guys just had too many holes in their game and Mayfield's only real knock was how tall he was.
Old 09-21-18, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

Mayfield's biggest attribute is that the team elevates their effort for him.
That is something that cannot be taught or forced on a team.

This is going to be really special.
Old 09-21-18, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Mayfield's biggest attribute is that the team elevates their effort for him.
That is something that cannot be taught or forced on a team.

This is going to be really special.
Agreed. With Tyrod it seems like they are just going through the motions.

One of the guys I work with said that early in the game one of the O-Linemen was running off the field towards Haley with his arms extended to his sides like "WTF is up with the play calling" and you could read Haley's lips with him replying "we can only do what we can do" implying the offense was neutered with Tyrod's limited skill set.
Old 09-21-18, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Agreed. With Tyrod it seems like they are just going through the motions.

One of the guys I work with said that early in the game one of the O-Linemen was running off the field towards Haley with his arms extended to his sides like "WTF is up with the play calling" and you could read Haley's lips with him replying "we can only do what we can do" implying the offense was neutered with Tyrod's limited skill set.
Or Turrod was set up for failure with the play calling?

With being a former QB, with other family members including brothers and son's playing QB, I can wholeheartedly tell you that there are times the play calling can go a long way in determining a level of success for the QB.

I get it that you call plays with the skill set of said QB, but at some point especially if you have a competition a play caller needs to calls plays that is best suited for their scheme and style of offense he wants his team to run.

At that point both QB's run the plays that the OC wants their offense to be and whomever wins out, wins out.

Sometimes it seems like the OC has his mind decided whom he wants to be the QB so, maybe even subconsciencely, calls a different set of plays that have a different likelihood of success.
Old 09-21-18, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Taylor is the perfect backup QB. He generally won't turn the ball over and can keep you in the game. He was awful last night.
Old 09-21-18, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

This sure makes Dorsey look like a genius in taking Baker.
Old 09-21-18, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
This sure makes Dorsey look like a genius in taking Baker.
I'm sure that you can relate, since you likely watched it, but the 6 players that caught TD's for the Chiefs, along with Patrick Mahomes, were all Dorsey's draft picks.

You're going to have some misses (likely Chad Thomas) but Dorsey is also good at finding talent later (Avery, Callaway, Harrison (UDFA)
Old 09-21-18, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm sure that you can relate, since you likely watched it, but the 6 players that caught TD's for the Chiefs, along with Patrick Mahomes, were all Dorsey's draft picks.

You're going to have some misses (likely Chad Thomas) but Dorsey is also good at finding talent later (Avery, Callaway, Harrison (UDFA)
Didn't get to catch the games Sunday as I had to 'work' but yeah, Dorsey knows what he is doing.

Steelers used to have that keen eye for talent.
Old 09-21-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Didn't get to catch the games Sunday as I had to 'work' but yeah, Dorsey knows what he is doing.

Steelers used to have that keen eye for talent.
Everybody misses. The worst one I can remember in somewhat recent history as a blunder for Colbert was Limas Sweed.
Old 09-21-18, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Bud Dupree, Jarvis Jones, and Ziggy Hood were all bad 1st round picks.
Old 09-21-18, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Cedric Ogbuehi and John Ross make the Steelers list look like annual all-pros.
Old 09-21-18, 11:36 AM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
I'm not a Hue fan, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't his decision to start Taylor and sit Baker. That call came from Dorsey, in hopes of letting the kid learn a little bit before just throwing him out there. #1 pick...Heisman...crappy team...TONS of pressure. And I thought it was the right decision. But Baker proved he can handle the pressure and that he just MIGHT be special.
Old 09-21-18, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bingo.

On that quick dump to Njoku in 3rd quarter for 10-12 yards when the Jets blitzed a DB, I knew we had our guy. Same play in the first half, Tyrod held the ball for a sack. Baker saw it pre-snap and beat the defense.

Being a great QB starts with reading, anticipating, and being decisive and accurate with the ball. Baker has all that.

I'm excited about the Browns for the first time in forever.
Old 09-21-18, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
I'm not a Hue fan, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't his decision to start Taylor and sit Baker. That call came from Dorsey, in hopes of letting the kid learn a little bit before just throwing him out there. #1 pick...Heisman...crappy team...TONS of pressure. And I thought it was the right decision. But Baker proved he can handle the pressure and that he just MIGHT be special.
No doubt it was not Hue's decision to start Turdod.

So, now, what do you guys do? Mayfield is going to be a star and win a lot of games but I don't believe Hue will be good enough to win Super Bowls.
Do you let him win ya a lot of games, get to the playoffs and have a short stint or do you make the change and find a coach that will get ya those Playoff and SB wins?

Baker and that defense is good enough to get you there but I don't think Hue will make good enough decisions to bring a title back.

Looks like Landry was right..this is a 40 points per game offense with Bakerland as the QB. Scored 21 is just over a half.
Old 09-21-18, 12:09 PM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road

We got ourselves a quarterback! WOOOWEEEEE