Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-18, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Euclid DI District 17-18

The difference in the game to me was coaching. Brush has all the talent in the world. Their top 4 players might have more talent than our best player honestly. I think coach K could win a state title with the talent on that Brush team

But Brush plays no help defense. If you beat the guy guarding you , there is a clear path to the basket

We were trying to figure out the offensive system for Brush the entire game. Just seemed like trying to take a guy on one on one and throwing it up

If they work on some fundamentals and coaching deficiencies, they can be a force next year with all that talent returning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-18, 09:52 PM
All Yappi

Euclid DI District 17-18

Great game by tatarunas in the post. He had a huge impact on the game. Zalba after a slow start really got it going late

Old 03-08-18, 10:10 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
The best two teams survived. Should be a good one Saturday.
Old 03-08-18, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
A wild and exciting game. After Mentor scored the first basket, Brush went on a 14-4 run to take control of the first quarter and the half. While all of the hype surrounds Brush's trio of talented underclassmen, it was senior Tyler Williams that was giving Mentor the most problems. Williams was too big, strong, and athletic for any Mentor defender to effectively stop him. He scored 14 in the first half. Mentor did just enough to hang on in a first half that was played at an uncomfortable pace. Koski, Kryz, and Zalba all took their turn making big plays in the first half, but Mentor was down 36-31 at the half.

Mentor had a strong 3rd quarter, outscoring the Arcs 16-9 in the pivotal quarter of the game. After a huge first half, I don't think Tyler Williams even attempted a shot in the 3rd quarter. Chad Blessing had a huge steal and score to give Mentor a 47-45 lead entering the final quarter.

Tatarunas had a huge 4th quarter to help Mentor get the kind of tough baskets they needed to pull this out. Brush took a lead (57-56) late in the 4th. Mentor executed a great inbound play under the hoop to give Zalba a three point shot, and he nailed it. Mentor took a 59-57 lead, and they kept it for good. Zalba and Tatarunas helped seal the game.

Thoughts on Brush: They are very talented. Three of their top four players are coming back next year, so that is great news for them. Dial is a speedy and talented PG. His size was an issue on defense as he had a lot of trouble keeping up with Zalba or Floriea. Like I said, I thought Tyler Williams looked like the most dangerous player on the Arcs. He barely touched the ball in the 3rd quarter after physically dominating Mentor in the first half. Bad move by them. I have to say that while Brush has some individual talent, they leave a lot to be desired as a team. Offensively, they don't look to run any sets or maintain any kind of offensive consistency. They are slow and deliberate on offense for no good reason at all. Their defense was inexcusable. They play zero help defense. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure Chet is doing a lot of good for Brush, but they need a coach who can more effectively set up their offensive and defensive sets. If they do, they can be a Final Four team in 2019.
Old 03-09-18, 07:58 AM
All World

Not debatable. These were the two teams people thought would reach the finals when the brackets came out. There was so much complaining from Benny's over where they were seeded - maybe now that the games have been played it was Cleveland Heights who should have been unhappy. They won the LEL and was seeded behind the Bengals. They went on the road and beat Benedictine on their own floor and gave Solon all they could handle until the final minutes.
Old 03-09-18, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

This is a District with one great team (Solon) and four good teams that are capable of playing great on any night. Mentor did benefit from an easier draw than Heights/Benedictine, but somebody had to. Mentor crushed an 18-win team and held on to beat Brush - quite possibly the most talented team in the district. If Heights or Benedictine flip flooded with Brush or Mentor in the seedings, yeah it would have looked different.

Bottom line is Mentor earned their seed with strong play and a reputation as a winner. They earned their place in the final with a gutsy performance last night. I don't have any what ifs. Benedictine had a home game in the sectional final and lost.
Old 03-09-18, 09:04 AM
All World

Spot on Cardz.
Old 03-09-18, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Debatable.
I don't think it's debatable. These are the two best tournament teams in the field. This is the third straight year that Solon and Mentor are playing in the district final. These teams have won a lot of tournament games the last few years; certainly more than any of the other teams at Euclid. Others may claim they're better but they haven't proven it. Solon and Mentor have.

It will be a great final. The Comets and Cards play tight, exciting games against each other. Fans who attend will be entertained for sure.
Old 03-09-18, 11:30 AM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Well, I'll eat my piece of humble pie. Mentor made more plays down the stretch than my Arcs. There were some questionable calls and some questionable coaching tactics down the stretch. I really like Coach Chet but I agree that the Arcs are not meeting their potential. Could you imagine what the Arcs would like if a perennial winner and military man were patrolling the sidelines like Coach Babe from VASJ? I only bring this up because he has been heard telling people inside the school that he is interested in jobs at University, Gilmour, JCU, Mayfield, and even a position on the Ohio State staff before so I wonder if he wouldn't be open to jumping up to the big time in D1? Plus, he would get an opportunity to sip on a water cup on the opposite end of the court from his hero Coach K come March. Could be something to keep an eye on.
Old 03-09-18, 11:45 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Well, I'll eat my piece of humble pie. Mentor made more plays down the stretch than my Arcs. There were some questionable calls and some questionable coaching tactics down the stretch. I really like Coach Chet but I agree that the Arcs are not meeting their potential. Could you imagine what the Arcs would like if a perennial winner and military man were patrolling the sidelines like Coach Babe from VASJ? I only bring this up because he has been heard telling people inside the school that he is interested in jobs at University, Gilmour, JCU, Mayfield, and even a position on the Ohio State staff before so I wonder if he wouldn't be open to jumping up to the big time in D1? Plus, he would get an opportunity to sip on a water cup on the opposite end of the court from his hero Coach K come March. Could be something to keep an eye on.
Brush left a lot to be desired. On pure talent and potential alone, they were the best team I saw Mentor play all year - and that includes Solon. Tyler Williams is a beast. Their big guy is a matchup nightmare - even if he only plays half a game. DJ Dial is a speedy and talented point guard very capable of leading a more dynamic offense than they run. Andre Harris is an explosive guard that can score inside and out. They should be challenging for a state title next season - but things change at the top. Flannery, Krizancic, or Babe would take that team to Columbus...no doubt about it.
Old 03-09-18, 11:58 AM
All World

Cardz - don't fall into Arcs trap. He cannot post in any thread without throwing shade on VASJ and Babe. If Babe ever decided to leave Joe's he could do WAY better then coaching Brush. Brush is not big time D1. They are a perennial mediocre program that happens to have a few good players now. He is in the right place coaching one of the top programs in Ohio history. He is reaching legendary status like his Father.

Comet is 100% correct the best two teams are still standing. If Mentor was seeded differently and had to play Benny instead of Brush - Mentor is still in the finals. I don't know why people are shocked. If Mayfield and Riverside can beat Brush - Mentor surely could. I'm just surprised the score was as close as it was. That is why they play the game. Mentor has to be on to hang with Solon. If they are and Solon shoots as poorly as they did against Heights - it's going to be a game. That being said I don't see Solon playing that sluggish and to shoot that bad two games in a row.
Old 03-09-18, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I don't think it's debatable. These are the two best tournament teams in the field. This is the third straight year that Solon and Mentor are playing in the district final. These teams have won a lot of tournament games the last few years; certainly more than any of the other teams at Euclid. Others may claim they're better but they haven't proven it. Solon and Mentor have.

It will be a great final. The Comets and Cards play tight, exciting games against each other. Fans who attend will be entertained for sure.
Third time is a charm. The rubber match is set. The underdog won in the first two seasons, but this Solon team is really good. I watched the first game this season at Solon, but missed the one at Mentor. The Comets really shot well at Solon. If they do that, Mentor will not have the firepower to keep up.

I am concerned that Mentor will need to score 75 or so to win this game. Against a good defensive team like the Comets, Mentor doesn't have enough weapons to score that high. There are not enough shooters to keep up with the pace Solon wants to play at. As crazy as it sounds for a Mentor team, the higher the score the worst chances Mentor has to win.

Should be fun on Saturday. One thing is for sure - there will be no Mentor blowout (like last year) this time around. Hoping Mentor can keep it close and make this a memorable one.
Old 03-09-18, 02:13 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Each year I look at the raw talent in the area & find a tremendous amount, especially in the city & private schools. Then I look at Mentor & see average raw talent & Rarely expect them to go very far in their league or district tournament.
But they always surprise me year after year. Some years they have had a couple of exceptional talented kids, but most years probably one player that could be considered a little bit exceptional. I truly believe the major reason is how Coach K gets into his players minds & convinces them they are much better than they believe they are. I may be wrong but thatís my analogy. I would like to hear your opinion on the success of the Mentor program. I donít predict that they can beat Solon but I think it will be very competitive.
Old 03-09-18, 03:53 PM
All World

That is the big misconception about Mentor. People look and say they don't have D1 basketball talent. That is usually a true statement. But let's not kid ourselves by saying they are not athletic. They usually have kids who are elite or very good at other sports. They have athletic kids who play basketball - not basketball only players. You take these competitive kids and combine them with a incredibly disciplined coach and system and you have Mentor. Don't forget the physical and mental conditioning - that is HUGE. Mentor makes you play every second of every game on both ends of the floor. Mentor is plenty athletic to play with or beat anybody.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 03-09-18, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
That is the big misconception about Mentor. People look and say they don't have D1 basketball talent. That is usually a true statement. But let's not kid ourselves by saying they are not athletic. They usually have kids who are elite or very good at other sports. They have athletic kids who play basketball - not basketball only players. You take these competitive kids and combine them with a incredibly disciplined coach and system and you have Mentor. Don't forget the physical and mental conditioning - that is HUGE. Mentor makes you play every second of every game on both ends of the floor. Mentor is plenty athletic to play with or beat anybody.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Very well said., Bball216, I totally agree. They are athletic & play hard all 32 minutes
Old 03-09-18, 05:58 PM
All World

Survived or advanced to the district final - however you wish to phrase it.
Old 03-09-18, 07:04 PM
All World

Before the seeding I thought Benny was the second best team. Based on the results I was wrong and the people doing the seeding look to be correct. Benny lost to Heights at home in a sectional. The 2 seed would not do that. Being the two seed means you should be able to beat every team except for the top seed. Benny could not beat the 5 seed on their home floor. That tells me they did not deserve the two seed like originally thought.
Old 03-09-18, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Euclid DI District 17-18

If anything Mentor could lay claim to being the 2 seed since they just knocked off the 3 seed. Played a way better schedule than Brush too since you brought up mayfields schedule This is unlike Benny losing to the 5 seed in a sectional final on their home floor

And Mentor had a batch of wins and overall schedule that was pretty darn close to Benny too. These non D1 football schools don't typically play the same overall schedule as some of the bigger d1 leagues do. 2 of Benny's biggest wins were against a team in lake catholic that begged off playing us in basketball

I know they schedule up and beat Ignatius but people were acting like they beat a ton of juggernauts. Scheduling them is brave but I'm looking at the ones they win

I think Mentor beats Benny this year on a neutral floor. And the habitual whining by some needs to stop. I'd get it more if you took Solon to the wire and barely lost in an earlier round. Losing to Cleveland Hts on your floor kills your argument on deserving the 2 seed though

Old 03-10-18, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

If Mentor was the 4 seed, they most likely would not be standing right now. But they earned a top 3 seed IMO thanks to wins over Shaker, Brunswick, VASJ right before the vote. Not to mention their reputation and schedule. The GCC is a superior league to the LEL, WRC, and the NCL. Medina, second to last in the league, just took Ignatius to the brink in a semifinal. Strongsville, last place team, is in a district final.

If any team could be complaining about the seeding, it should be Cleveland Heights. Unless Mentor plays really well tonight, we may look at this as Heights was the 2nd best team...or at least the team that matched up best to Solon.

IF we allowed teams to place themselves in the district, where would a 4 seed Benedictine place? In a sectional final with Mentor or Brush? I donít think they would.
Old 03-10-18, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Good luck explaining that to this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
If anything Mentor could lay claim to being the 2 seed since they just knocked off the 3 seed. Played a way better schedule than Brush too since you brought up mayfields schedule This is unlike Benny losing to the 5 seed in a sectional final on their home floor

And Mentor had a batch of wins and overall schedule that was pretty darn close to Benny too. These non D1 football schools don't typically play the same overall schedule as some of the bigger d1 leagues do. 2 of Benny's biggest wins were against a team in lake catholic that begged off playing us in basketball

I know they schedule up and beat Ignatius but people were acting like they beat a ton of juggernauts. Scheduling them is brave but I'm looking at the ones they win

I think Mentor beats Benny this year on a neutral floor. And the habitual whining by some needs to stop. I'd get it more if you took Solon to the wire and barely lost in an earlier round. Losing to Cleveland Hts on your floor kills your argument on deserving the 2 seed though

That Bene 01 guy likes to bicker about anything and everything he can cuz he knows more than any of us.Just ask him and he will correct everything about you including what hand you wipe with.
Old 03-10-18, 09:36 AM
Freshman

Carnac the Magnifice is on a distinguished road
I don't respond very often but I feel that it is necessary. He stated that "The seeding definitely was reflective of the teams involved". In my opinion, Benedictine was seeded correctly. After Solon, all of the other contenders had 5-6 losses at the time of the seeding. Therefore, it is essentially a toss up. So you look at strength of schedule. That is where I believe they fell short. I believe that Benedictine deserves the lower seed based on strength of schedule. It is true that they have a very good independent schedule (SVSM, St. ED’s, etc.), but they did not win any of those games or have any quality wins except for CCC. They beat CCC in early December though. I am not sure how much stock coaches put into games played or wins in December because teams change so much through the end of January. The majority of the rest of the games are Division 2 or lower tier Division 1 teams (NDCL, Padua, Walsh Jesuit). They beat a very good Hoban team but it was after the determination of seeds. Compare that to Cleveland Heights who plays a good independent schedule and in a league (LEL) that is considered a slightly higher quality basketball conference. Compare that to Mentor or Solon who also play tough independent schedules and also play in arguably one of the best conferences in the state. Evidence of this is that an 0-22 Euclid team last year almost made it to the District and an 0-14 (in league play) Strongsville team is playing for a District title tonight. Many years they have 50%-75% of the league playing in the District Tournament. At the time of the seeding the only quality wins Bennies had were CCC very early in the season and St. Ignatius who is good but not the same team they have been the last couple of years. You could argue Brush as the second seed due to their conference schedule, but they did have a few quality wins and a few bad losses. Anyhow, that is for another day. It could have worked out many ways, but to continue to complain about the seeding process gets old when there are plenty of arguments as to how it was correct.
Old 03-10-18, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Euclid DI District 17-18

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, one upset loss doesn't erase what a team does over the course of a season or prove that they weren't under-seeded. In regards to whining, I just chimed in to correct what I felt was a very debatable statement earlier in the thread. Overall, NEDAB's districting, seeding, and bracketing process is a rotten mess that needs to be fixed. Benedictine isn't the first nor will they be the last to be hosed by the process until it gets fixed.

As an aside, here's what I believe were Benny's marquee wins:

-Cleveland Central Catholic

-Lake Catholic (twice)

-St. Ignatius

-Revere

-Hoban

I think that resume warrants better than a 4 seed, but I'm biased.

And I think Mentor's schedule and body of work warranted the 2 or 3 seed which is where they ended up. And they got to the district final. I think they are the 2nd best team in the district

It's not just this thread Bennies. You've whined and bickered with many on here for years. Social justice warrior who bashes suburban public schools like mentor and Solon while sticking up for the inner ring publics like the school you avoided Cleveland Hts (to go to a private school ). It gets old

Also for as much as you bash the GCC, it's definitely a better league than the NCL,WRC and LEL

Old 03-10-18, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

Euclid DI District 17-18

Double post

Old 03-10-18, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

Anyone know if tonites game will be on radio or tv?
Old 03-10-18, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, sure, but you said that "the two best teams survived" which is a different claim.

You saw Mayfield's schedule, right?

This is an unsupported claim. Solon earned the #1 seed and their path to the final, but if we're using prior season's results to justify Mentor's seeding for this year, that's a bit unfair to the rest of the teams. I realize that no one wants to have a debate about seeding right now, but someone made a statement that needed to be challenged. Hopefully all of this is fixed very soon as the Euclid district seeding and bracketing this year might be the best example showing what is wrong with how NEDAB runs its district tournaments in all sports.
Your argument has no basis in fact. The two best teams are playing for the title. Unsupported claim? They've got the wins to prove it. Why don't you quit whining already?

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-10-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

Very good back and forth first half.

Mentor up 36-31.

Old 03-10-18, 08:26 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
very surprised that this game was even close but on to the next
Old 03-10-18, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor is good.
Old 03-10-18, 09:02 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Rinse and repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
That Bene 01 guy likes to bicker about anything and everything he can cuz he knows more than any of us.Just ask him and he will correct everything about you including what hand you wipe with.
Rinse and repeat
Old 03-10-18, 09:46 PM
All World

I'm not surprised in the least the game was close. Solon is good and Mentor is Mentor. Coach K was going to have his team ready and you know how hard the Cards play. These were when the dust cleared the best two teams in this district. Solon has a special team led by a special player. Guard play and leadership is so important this time of the year and Solon has it. Anybody who thought though that the Comets would just roll over Mentor - does not know Mentor. Mentor makes you beat them and comes at you in waves - Solon did just that and now gets to advance to what should be a very tough regional. Whoever comes out of CSU will have to earn it.