Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-14-18, 06:54 PM
All District

fr willie is on a distinguished road
First off Benny has beaten Cleve Central Catholic (div 1) ranked 4th in the city Lake Catholic twice who was they were 10th in the city St Igntius ,then ranked 8th in the city Revere now ranked 22nd or so.They have played 12 Div 1 teams this year.They also neat St Petets from Staten Island ,, a New York city team and last years state runner up .I think the Bengal resume speakes for otself
Old 02-15-18, 08:28 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
This seeding might be a blessing for Benny. Now you have a very talented team with a chip on their shoulder. If your going to win the district you have to knock off one of the top teams. Benny will just have to do it a round earlier if they want to advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 02-15-18, 09:15 AM
All District

fr willie is on a distinguished road
True.... But they should not have to play them in the semi. However you are correct they will have a chip on there shoulder.
Old 02-15-18, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
This seeding might be a blessing for Benny. Now you have a very talented team with a chip on their shoulder. If your going to win the district you have to knock off one of the top teams. Benny will just have to do it a round earlier if they want to advance.

It is true they would have to likely beat Solon sooner or later anyhow if they wanted to win the district. The biggest disadvantage in being the 4 versus the 2 or 3 seed is in the sectional final. Rather than having a decent, yet manageable opponent in the second round (like East Tech, South, or Mayfield) - Benedictine instead has Cleveland Heights.
Old 02-17-18, 04:20 AM
All World

Brush continues to slide and play down to its competition. They have two solid wins this year but have lost some headshakers and have been in some real close games against questionable opponents. I'm pretty sure they were swept by Mayfield who is ranked behind them and also just lost to South who ironically is behind them as well. They also have had close games with the likes of Chardon. In a time where teams should be peaking and heading into the playofffs with momentum - Brush is doing the opposite. In the meantime Mentor and Benedictine are playing well. Right now Brush is not the 2 seed in this tournament. There are 3 or 4 teams behind them that are playing much better basketball at this point in time.
Old 02-17-18, 08:58 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Last nights games further evidence they got the seedings wrongs.

Benedictine clearly should be 2 and Brush 4 or 5.

Mentor benefits and Benny, and even Solon get tougher matchups earlier. You can say they have to beat the tough teams anyway, but Mentor walks into the District Final most likely with the 3rd best resume at best.
Old 02-17-18, 04:05 PM
All Yappi

Last night further confirms that Mentor has an easier road to the final than the top seed (Solon) does. Brush has had an up and down season. Mayfield, Mentor's sectional final opponent, lost last night to Kenston - a middle of the road team from their league.

Mentor's previous two losses against Cornerstone and Euclid left a lot to be desired. Offensively, they were lacking. They need to get it together come tournament time against teams like Brush and especially in the final. Scoring in the 60's is not going to cut it.

Here is an article from the News-Herald on the Euclid District: http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...s-in-the-state
Old 02-17-18, 09:26 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
The only teams I am worried about for solon is bene and clev hts the rest solon would easily take care of and have this season
Old 02-18-18, 09:31 AM
All World

Mentor can jump up and bite a team. When the shots are falling Mentor is dangerous. I have seen Mentor several times. I saw Mentor get blown out by Shaker only to beat VASJ and go into Shaker a get revenge. Don't over look Mentor that's all I'm saying. They can look average one night and look like one of the best teams in the city the next.
Old 02-18-18, 11:07 AM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Bball216 about Mentor being underestimated in the tourney. They are capable of rising up against any team they face, including Solon. It all depends on which Mentor team shows up. Remember last year when Solon was expected to win the district & Mentor beats them by 20 points. Mentor ,this year, is very unpredictable, but I would never count them out at tournament time, as they have done in the past. I also feel Solon & Bennies are the top teams to beat in this tournament.
Old 02-18-18, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Believe me. Solon coaches and players don't underestimate Mentor. They remember all too well what happened last March.
Old 02-18-18, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mentor can jump up and bite a team. When the shots are falling Mentor is dangerous. I have seen Mentor several times. I saw Mentor get blown out by Shaker only to beat VASJ and go into Shaker a get revenge. Don't over look Mentor that's all I'm saying. They can look average one night and look like one of the best teams in the city the next.
When Mentor's system is executed properly, they can beat anybody. They took some lumps with their schedule, but no coach in their right mind will overlook the Cardinals in the playoffs. They are proven winners.
Old 02-19-18, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Here is Matt Goul's Top 25 heading into the final week: http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...incart_m-rpt-1

Here is how he ranks the Euclid DI District schools:

1) Solon-1
2) Benedictine-5
3) Heights-12
4) Mentor-19
5) Brush-21
Old 02-19-18, 11:13 AM
All World

That is exactly how I thought the seeding should have went prior to the official seeds being announced. Benny is really being screwed IMO. Brush is sliding and really road the wave of a few solid wins at the mid season point. I'm expecting Mentor to face Solon with Solon heading to Cleveland State. The semi final game between Solon and Benny very well should have been the district final.
Old 02-27-18, 09:59 AM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is exactly how I thought the seeding should have went prior to the official seeds being announced. Benny is really being screwed IMO. Brush is sliding and really road the wave of a few solid wins at the mid season point. I'm expecting Mentor to face Solon with Solon heading to Cleveland State. The semi final game between Solon and Benny very well should have been the district final.
My Arcs may be sliding but when it comes to March it is an entirely new season as you well know. I'm really excited to see them face-off versus a really overrated Mentor team in the 2nd round that has really no top level wins in my opinion. Heck, even Euclid beat them twice. Truth be told, I'm just as excited about the kosher booster dogs over at Euclid as I am the game with Mentor. Go Arcs!
Old 02-27-18, 10:25 AM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
No quality wins for Mentor??????? What about wins over Shaker Hts, Brunswick, VASJ, Massillon Jackson, Elyria,etc, just to name a few.
Old 02-27-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Yeah I'd like to see brush wins in comparison. How does Brush fare against mentor in basketball usually ? We are looking forward to the matchup as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-18, 11:32 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Yeah I'd like to see brush wins in comparison. How does Brush fare against mentor in basketball usually ? We are looking forward to the matchup as usual

I'll start with these two W's in comparison: Garfield Hts. and Cornerstone Christian. How do those compare with the games Mentor had with those guys?

Anyhow, like BBall216 always says, we know that nothing matters till March and Coach Krizancic will have his guys from Mentor ready.
Old 02-27-18, 11:58 AM
All World

Saw Mentor on Saturday pick apart a pretty damn good Jackson team. The big factor is Coach K and Mentor just seem to know how to win in March. I expect Solon and Mentor in the final and if both teams have the 3s falling it could be an instant classic. Benny will be a tough game for Solon in the semis but I think Solon wins a close one.

Old 02-27-18, 12:52 PM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Top Local D1 Playoff Coaching Records Last 5 years:

Flan 23-4
Coach K 20-4
Sonny 15-5
Danny Young 14-5

Ignatius and East Tech had good teams during this stretch but Tech moved to D2 during and Iggy changed coaches.

A good combo of coaching, talent and experience typically wins, but anything can happen, thats why we play!
Old 02-27-18, 01:10 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
I'll start with these two W's in comparison: Garfield Hts. and Cornerstone Christian. How do those compare with the games Mentor had with those guys?

Anyhow, like BBall216 always says, we know that nothing matters till March and Coach Krizancic will have his guys from Mentor ready.

You've also lost to some inferior teams.

I don't think we will be intimidated by Brush. Hope your school thinks mentor is overrated despite being seeded behind Brush.

We know how Brush mentor matchups go in the district

Old 02-27-18, 01:37 PM
All World

I don't think losing to Mayfield, South and another mediocre team that slips my mind (Riverside maybe) and being pushed by Chardon and others is going to intimidate Mentor. It's hard for teams to deal with success and compliments and Brush appears to suffer from that. The Arc team I saw at D4D has no business losing to or being in close games with the above mentioned teams. Mentor will be tough to beat. People better not sleep on Heights, Benny and Mayfield as any of those teams can end your season.

Old 02-27-18, 01:44 PM
All District

Seems like that D4D brought out the worst in a lot of people that day. Storm clouds have moved on though.
Old 02-27-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor will win district, if play no turnovers, like against jackson.
Old 02-27-18, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Mentor and Brush played Cornerstone basically even. Mentor lost in double overtime. Brush beat Cornerstone on a controversial call in the closing seconds.

Mentor's quality wins (Jackson, Shaker, VASJ, Brunswick) speak for themselves. This is hardly a great team by Mentor's standards. But they are good enough to beat Brush. Doesn't mean they will. Mentor and Brush are probably the two most inconsistent teams at the district. Their highs are pretty high...good enough to hang with and maybe even beat Solon. Their lows are pretty low too.

First thing is first, Mentor and Brush need to win Saturday's games and then they will have a shot at each other. As MG02 points out, Mentor has been a major thorn in Brush's side over the years at Euclid. Not sure how much that will matter, but it is worth noting.
Old 03-01-18, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Mentor and Brush played Cornerstone basically even. Mentor lost in double overtime. Brush beat Cornerstone on a controversial call in the closing seconds.

Mentor's quality wins (Jackson, Shaker, VASJ, Brunswick) speak for themselves. This is hardly a great team by Mentor's standards. But they are good enough to beat Brush. Doesn't mean they will. Mentor and Brush are probably the two most inconsistent teams at the district. Their highs are pretty high...good enough to hang with and maybe even beat Solon. Their lows are pretty low too.

First thing is first, Mentor and Brush need to win Saturday's games and then they will have a shot at each other. As MG02 points out, Mentor has been a major thorn in Brush's side over the years at Euclid. Not sure how much that will matter, but it is worth noting.
Cornerstone blew a big lead against Brush at Dunk 4 Diabetes. All Cornerstone needed to do was hit a few free throws in the fourth quarter and they would have wrapped up a win with a few minutes to spare. But Cornerstone was abysmal from the line. Michael Bothwell was something like 2-for-14 from the line, mostly in the fourth period, and other guys were just as bad. Brush made big plays to win but it was largely possible because Cornerstone handed them the game on a silver platter.
Old 03-01-18, 02:45 PM
All Yappi

Scores from sectional semifinals:

(8 seed) South 70
(9 seed) John Hay 67

(4 seed) Benedictine 93
(13 seed) Lakeside 49

(7 seed) East Tech 67
(10 seed) Madison 58

(6 seed) Mayfield 60
(11 seed) North 47

Saturday at 7pm has the following matchups:

Solon vs South
Benedictine vs Cleveland Heights...please find me a better sectional final in Ohio
Brush vs East Tech
Mentor vs Mayfield
Old 03-01-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

(8 seed) South 70
(9 seed) John Hay 67

(4 seed) Benedictine 93
(13 seed) Lakeside 49

(7 seed) East Tech 67
(10 seed) Madison 58

(6 seed) Mayfield 60
(11 seed) North 47

Solon vs South
Benedictine vs Cleveland Heights...please find me a better sectional final in Ohio
Brush vs East Tech
Mentor vs Mayfield
Another angle on the Heights v Benny game is that the game is at Benny and not a neutral court. Benny is not the easiest place to play and I would expect a decent sized crowd for this one which adds to the atmosphere.
Old 03-01-18, 04:16 PM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

(8 seed) South 70
(9 seed) John Hay 67

(4 seed) Benedictine 93
(13 seed) Lakeside 49

(7 seed) East Tech 67
(10 seed) Madison 58

(6 seed) Mayfield 60
(11 seed) North 47

Solon vs South
Brush vs East Tech
Mentor vs Mayfield
Solon by 20 over south
bene by 10 over hts
brush by 5 over tech
mentor by 15 over mayfield
Old 03-01-18, 07:01 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Quote:

(8 seed) South 70
(9 seed) John Hay 67

(4 seed) Benedictine 93
(13 seed) Lakeside 49

(7 seed) East Tech 67
(10 seed) Madison 58

(6 seed) Mayfield 60
(11 seed) North 47

Solon vs South
Brush vs East Tech
Mentor vs Mayfield
Solon beat Willoughby South fairly easily the last time these two teams played. No reason to expect that this will be any different.

This game may be the sectional final of the year. Both teams are really good, and if Cleveland Heights beats Benedictine, they definitely will have earned it, as Benedictine is not an easy place to play.

I think there might be an upset in the making here, especially if East Tech is on their A-game.

The only way Mayfield could possibly pull off the upset like they did against Brush is if they utilize their slow-paced offense and Mentor misses a lot of their shots. Mentor beat them pretty badly last time these two played, and I don't expect a different result here.