Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-04-18, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
GWOC Baseball 2018

Baseball season will be here before we know it. Any dark horse teams to look out for this year or will it be the usual suspects? Let's take a stab at it.

North
It's hard to not go with Butler given what they have done over the last 20+ years. Tipp showed last year that they are up for challenging Butler and will likely be in the conversation once again. I like Butler but expect Tipp, Troy and Piqua to all be very competitive.

Can Butler get over the hurdle that has crippled them for the last few years in the tournament? The area's best regular season team for the last 2-3 years has not won a district championship since 2012.

South
Fairborn gets the nod here and I don't know that they really have a challenger to contend with.

East
Beavercreek took the east in 2017 but I look for Centerville to reclaim their spot at the top in 2018.

West
What can you say other than there are some really good baseball teams in the West. I am calling for Northmont to make major strides in 2018 and I think the division comes down to them and Lebanon.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 08:50 PM
Freshman

latti6935a is on a distinguished road
Tipp will win the AmNorth easily. I don't say that to be crass but Butler lost everyone accept Norman and he ain't pitching but one league game a series. I think Butler finishes definitely behind Tipp maybe behind Troy.
Old 02-06-18, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
Tipp will win the AmNorth easily. I don't say that to be crass but Butler lost everyone accept Norman and he ain't pitching but one league game a series. I think Butler finishes definitely behind Tipp maybe behind Troy.
I don’t think Tipp will win easily, but they definitely have what it takes. 6’5 Ball State commit Zac Losey has been clocked officially at 91 MPH, and will lead a strong pitching staff once again. Junior transfer Keagan Eggelston has a good fast ball in the mid to upper 80s and Senior Miles McClurg pitched a decent amount last year. The Barhorst brothers are back for there final season and will look to continue their successful careers. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud catcher and has been playing for Ohio Eite the past few seasons. The McClurg brothers bring a lot of speed to this team and Josh Riebe will finally take over at first base after being a varsity back up the last 2 years. This team will be strong although they do lose 2 stud D1 players from last year in Eichbuam and Hughes.
Old 02-06-18, 11:24 AM
Junior Varsity

mahaff5499 is on a distinguished road
I think you mean Junior transfer Kenten Egbert.
Old 02-06-18, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
I don’t think Tipp will win easily, but they definitely have what it takes. 6’5 Ball State commit Zac Losey has been clocked officially at 91 MPH, and will lead a strong pitching staff once again. Junior transfer Keagan Eggelston has a good fast ball in the mid to upper 80s and Senior Miles McClurg pitched a decent amount last year. The Barhorst brothers are back for there final season and will look to continue their successful careers. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud catcher and has been playing for Ohio Eite the past few seasons. The McClurg brothers bring a lot of speed to this team and Josh Riebe will finally take over at first base after being a varsity back up the last 2 years. This team will be strong although they do lose 2 stud D1 players from last year in Eichbuam and Hughes.
Not to nitpick, Kenton Egbert is the transfer. Also, Miles McClurg logged 1/3 of a varsity inning...Mason had 3 1/3.

I think it will be a very interesting race. Butler, Tipp and Troy all have a shot. Butler and Tipp are losing a lot, while Troy loses their one key player.

Out of the bunch, I would say Tipp has the most talent. Losey has quite the arm, and Yunker is pretty good too. Losey is obviously a great athlete that has really bloomed, but he still only pitched 2/3 of an inning this past year. He'll need to be able to use those tools that got him the D1 scholarship this spring. The Barhorst brothers along with Beam and some other players should be pretty good.

Butler brings back Norman, but will definitely be missing Damon along with Tyler Burley, who carried this team the past few years. Preston Tofstad and Fults will have to help the team offensively.

Troy really only loses Hayden Kotwica, who was their second leading hitter and pitcher, but bring back nearly everyone else. Jake Daniel (Ohio Dominican) and Brandon Emery (Findlay) will have to carry the team offensively, and Cole Brogan will be the ace on the mound. Keiran Williams is a reliable catcher that can really catch and throw it behind the plate. Pitcher Chase Weaver will likely be the other league game starter, and will have to step his game up. He's going to UNOH, an NAIA powerhouse, but will have to show that his tools can play as well.

It should be an interesting spring. Troy heads to Atlanta during Spring Break and that should help them get battle tested, I think Tipp heads to Florida and Butler to Myrtle Beach. Hopefully the weather stays nice for some good baseball this spring!
Old 02-08-18, 01:30 AM
Junior Varsity

TheTaxMan is on a distinguished road
Didn’t Fairborn graduate about everybody? On a team that didn’t make it out of the first round of the playoffs?
Old 02-08-18, 01:38 AM
Junior Varsity

TheTaxMan is on a distinguished road
Didn’t Fairborn graduate Everyone? From a team that lost in the first round?
Old 02-08-18, 07:53 PM
Freshman

Nodaysoff is on a distinguished road
I say Butler or Tipp in the north. Fairborn for south. In the east I’d go with Centerville but I look for Springfield to make a move this year and give teams some trouble. They have some talent on the team. Swigart’s big bat at the plate followed by Manier, then Schnitzler/Mcglothin on the hill. Swigart can bring it from the mound too (threw a 1 hit shutout against KR which was a very solid team last year) but he’s needed at short and sometimes behind the dish (typically when Schnitzler is on the mound) so he doesn’t pitch as much. In the West I go with Springboro again.
Old 02-11-18, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
Not saying Tipp may not win the North but I don't think anyone "wins easily". Butler does have a lot to replace in Dues, Burley and Grossman but they have some great returning guys too like Dolen Fults, Preston Tofstad, Joe Jackson, Jack Mitchell and will introduce a number of young studs that will contribute out of the gate. I think people will be surprised with how good this Butler team has a chance to be. Always hard to replace three four year starters but the cupboard is anything but bare.
Old 02-13-18, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
#1 Troy (1 league loss)
#2 Tipp (2 league loss
#3 Vandalia (3 league loss)