Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-05-18, 08:00 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Show case vs. game players

Show cases such as PBR can be very misleading. There's those kids that are good ball player but showcases make them look like blue chippers. A kid especially a lefty Chuck's it up around 85+. That's awesome but can never get out of an inning because of no control. A kid can have an exit velocity of 90+ but can't run the bases. I can't believe that college coach's make offers to kids based on show cases and not game situations. Show cases are good but can be decieving. It amazes me how few young men say 14/16 just don't get the game. You want to be a blue chippers, put down the controller and watch a game on TV.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 09:38 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
College coaches are looking for measurables. They feel they can mold a player. There can be a difference between a great high school player and a great college recruit.
Old 02-05-18, 10:04 AM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Show cases such as PBR can be very misleading. There's those kids that are good ball player but showcases make them look like blue chippers. A kid especially a lefty Chuck's it up around 85+. That's awesome but can never get out of an inning because of no control. A kid can have an exit velocity of 90+ but can't run the bases. I can't believe that college coach's make offers to kids based on show cases and not game situations. Show cases are good but can be decieving. It amazes me how few young men say 14/16 just don't get the game. You want to be a blue chippers, put down the controller and watch a game on TV.
I've seen several showcase players get interest from a college recruiter. When my son went to his 1 and only PBR showcase they made him bat and field. If he got a hit he had to run the bases like a real game. He had to make plays on the kids that were batting. The only reason we never went back is because it was supposed to be 2-3 hours and went until it got dark. They had to many pitchers. Kids who came as fielders asked to pitch and PBR let them.
Old 02-05-18, 01:07 PM
All District

seclmw is on a distinguished road
No process is perfect - but the showcases allow college coaches to see many players at the same time along with information like height, weight, school, etc. along with "metrics" like pitch speed, 60 dash, etc.

Another advantage of showcases is to let the player (and mom & dad) "measure themselves" against other players.

Two issues I can think of

(1) there are players who excel at showcases that are not good "game" baseball players;

(2) a coach may express interest, but the athlete (and family) are still responsible for making sure that is a good school for the individual (finances, academics, location, etc.); Not everyone can afford Harvard, not everyone is ready to spend 4 years at a strongly Christian school, not everyone can handle the academics at Stanford;

PS - from what I've seen of these pitching generally often not of the best, the exceptional pitchers have already been lined up.