Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-31-17, 09:14 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Personal Responsibility

Can we begin a class in high schools called personal responsibility? It would be more beneficial for our kids than a higher level foreign language or 2 year trigonometry.

Saw an article in the newspaper today that a local town will not only GIVE you $5 smoke detectors, but now volunteers will go door to door and install them as well!!! Are you kidding me?
Doesn't it behoove the owner of the home to protect themselves from fire?? After all, they live there??

These things just drive me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-17, 09:24 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I don't know of a single school that offers 2 years of trigonometry unless you fail it the first time.

If someone wants to install something I don't want to, and do it for free, I'm not complaining. Maybe this thread is better served to complain about others being busybodies and how they should mind their own business.
Old 07-31-17, 10:39 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I don't know of a single school that offers 2 years of trigonometry unless you fail it the first time.

If someone wants to install something I don't want to, and do it for free, I'm not complaining. Maybe this thread is better served to complain about others being busybodies and how they should mind their own business.
Taco, that response tells it all. It's the mindset of the liberals who want big government and for the government to take care of everything.

While with on this topic, another thing that drives me nuts this time of year is the school supply handouts that are conducted in many cities. And I'm sure you're all for this. This is a program where your kid is given all their school supplies for the start of school, the paper, pencils, crayons, markers, folders...

This goes right into the free and reduced lunch system where your kids can get free lunches and not only that, some schools even pack junior some food for the weekends because we just couldn't burden the parents by making them take care of their own kids.

And those busybodies are the ones paying for all these programs through taxes...SMH.
Old 07-31-17, 10:47 AM
All District

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Indeed! The lack of proper masculine influences in people's lives have produced generations of people who lack proper empathy. The lack of empathetic development is what has given us these narcissists who scoff at the idea of personal responsibility. Paradoxically as it may seem, this smothering mother crap is the root of both the narcissism and the cries for the nanny-state we have everywhere in our society today.
Old 07-31-17, 11:27 AM
All American

max

14, if someone wants to give me something for free, I'm not going to turn it away. If the busybodies don't want to pay this type of stuff via taxes then they should stop being busybodies. They should mind their own business and let a house without a smoke detector burn down. Stop trying to interfere with Darwin.
Old 07-31-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
While with on this topic, another thing that drives me nuts this time of year is the school supply handouts that are conducted in many cities. And I'm sure you're all for this. This is a program where your kid is given all their school supplies for the start of school, the paper, pencils, crayons, markers, folders...
The schools are providing free education which costs thousands and you're getting worked up over $25 in school supplies?
Old 07-31-17, 12:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
max

14, if someone wants to give me something for free, I'm not going to turn it away. If the busybodies don't want to pay this type of stuff via taxes then they should stop being busybodies. They should mind their own business and let a house without a smoke detector burn down. Stop trying to interfere with Darwin.
I'm guessing you have no pride? I mean, you are perfectly fine taking something that you can afford yourself?
Old 07-31-17, 12:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
The schools are providing free education which costs thousands and you're getting worked up over $25 in school supplies?
Not quite Tyler, there are millions of tax dollars spent, locally and statewide, to give our kids a basic education. I see this as a good thing.

The thing I don't understand is why we feel the need to buy kids basic school supplies that are very inexpensive to begin with. Wal-Mart and the other big discount stores use these as loss leaders to get people into their stores to by other stuff. We can't even let parents buy their own kids papers and pencils.

Now maybe this is more of a PR thing for the group sponsoring the donation effort, or makes us feel better. But aren't we in essence just creating more of a dependence of people who can't take care of themselves?
Old 07-31-17, 12:50 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm guessing you have no pride? I mean, you are perfectly fine taking something that you can afford yourself?
I have plenty of pride. I'm also not dumb enough to spend money when I can instead save it and invest it. That's called financial responsibility. Maybe if you had more financial responsibility you'd spend less of your retirement on Yappi and more on enjoying life.
Old 07-31-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Clearly you don't have kids.

These days it's closer to a hundred. if not more.

What's bothersome is they ask for things like tissues, dry erase markers and other items that are used for the classroom, not just your kid.

Basically you are supplying the school with toiletries and basic supplies they don't buy their teachers anymore.
Old 07-31-17, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

What's bothersome is they ask for things like tissues, dry erase markers and other items that are used for the classroom, not just your kid.

Basically you are supplying the school with toiletries and basic supplies they don't buy their teachers anymore.
Turden has kids, he makes them go to school without supplies to toughen them up
Old 07-31-17, 02:34 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
What gets me is after school has been underway for a few weeks the note comes home saying the class is running low on paper, pencils, whatever could you send item with your child? I know for a fact that not every child in the class brought the items in the first place and now that the "community chest" is low the "haves" need to replenish the "have nots" supply cabinet.

Last edited by USA70PP; 07-31-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
What gets me is after school has been underway for a few weeks the note comes home saying the class is running low on paper, pencils, whatever could you send item with your child? I know for a fact that hot every child in the class brought the items in the first place and now that the "community chest" is low the "haves" need to replenish the "have nots" supply cabinet.
EXACTLY

you know half of those don't bring a damn thing
Old 07-31-17, 03:57 PM
All American

Haves and Have Nots supply cabinet...that's funny. Very true, but funny.

Sad part is that kid sees kids that have things, may go home and see Mom and Dad have enough money for cigs/ tobacco/ nice phones and the connection is made. Of course then the other kids know, because kids know, who get free stuff and tease them. Of course today we call that bullying.
Old 07-31-17, 04:14 PM
All District

USA70PP is on a distinguished road
^^^^
Very true, or the school goes to the extreme they did here and everybody gets free meals regardless of home income. In that way the lower income kids aren't shamed because they get free meals.
Old 07-31-17, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Our pubic school system is having trouble in some areas teaching reading and writing. I don't have much faith in them teaching personal responsibility, especially when it will get no reinforcement in the home.
Old 07-31-17, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can we begin a class in high schools called personal responsibility? It would be more beneficial for our kids than a higher level foreign language or 2 year trigonometry.

Saw an article in the newspaper today that a local town will not only GIVE you $5 smoke detectors, but now volunteers will go door to door and install them as well!!! Are you kidding me?
Doesn't it behoove the owner of the home to protect themselves from fire?? After all, they live there??

These things just drive me nuts.
If a neighbor of mine said he needed a smoke detector but couldn't afford the $5, I would buy one for him in a nanosecond -- and install it for him if he needed me to.

If my child's classroom needed some supplies in order to more effectively teach the kids, I would happily donate -- without asking if others had done so.

Generally, we have been a generous people as far as charitable donations are concerned. Perhaps that is changing.
Old 07-31-17, 06:51 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
This goes right along with the theory that a 23 year old fresh out of college is more qualified than a 20 year veteran of the company. Because he has a piece of paper and the other one doesn't. I see it all the time. And usually the kid with the degree makes more starting out than the vet.
Old 07-31-17, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Did they ever?

"Supplies" I'm on the general wavelength. We had this discussion before on here, my feeling the source of the problem more in the charitable domain than government. It's various charities trying to make a feel-good difference, not really looking to far to understand the implications of the book-bag give away. Not only does it not encourage self reliance, but it undermines the parent. The parent is not seen as a provider.

Give the child opportunity to EARN that book bag and supplies THROUGHOUT the year, and you have a more constructive program.

Similarly classroom supplies meant generally for the student, should come from the student or parent. My ma made sure I had hankies. I can understand a kid not wanting to carry them but they can easily donate a box to the cause. Same any other convenience items. Schools shouldn't be indoctinating students that it's the government's role to supply things they should be getting from parents. I don't care if the parent gets the stuff through charity or some other government hand-out but they should in these cases be the intermediary.
Old 07-31-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
did they ever?

"supplies" i'm on the general wavelength. We had this discussion before on here, my feeling the source of the problem more in the charitable domain than government. It's various charities trying to make a feel-good difference, not really looking to far to understand the implications of the book-bag give away. Not only does it not encourage self reliance, but it undermines the parent. The parent is not seen as a provider.

Give the child opportunity to earn that book bag and supplies throughout the year, and you have a more constructive program.

Similarly classroom supplies meant generally for the student, should come from the student or parent. My ma made sure i had hankies. I can understand a kid not wanting to carry them but they can easily donate a box to the cause. Same any other convenience items. Schools shouldn't be indoctinating students that it's the government's role to supply things they should be getting from parents. I don't care if the parent gets the stuff through charity or some other government hand-out but they should in these cases be the intermediary.
tl dr au
Old 07-31-17, 09:23 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Indeed! The lack of proper masculine influences in people's lives have produced generations of people who lack proper empathy. The lack of empathetic development is what has given us these narcissists who scoff at the idea of personal responsibility. Paradoxically as it may seem, this smothering mother crap is the root of both the narcissism and the cries for the nanny-state we have everywhere in our society today.
Yep, everyone was scared of their dad growing up. My mom was a Youngstown Italian and I never listened to her but my dad on the other hand was yes sir
Old 07-31-17, 09:33 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
This goes right along with the theory that a 23 year old fresh out of college is more qualified than a 20 year veteran of the company. Because he has a piece of paper and the other one doesn't. I see it all the time. And usually the kid with the degree makes more starting out than the vet.
Your analogy makes no sense, but where do you work that this scenario actually happens?
Old 08-01-17, 07:37 AM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
If I heard that I could get free smoke detectors installed in my house I'd absolutely take advantage of that. Not sure how that makes me personally irresponsible, but OK.

If anything, it makes me smart and frugal.
Old 08-01-17, 07:44 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
If I heard that I could get free smoke detectors installed in my house I'd absolutely take advantage of that. Not sure how that makes me personally irresponsible, but OK.

Which in turn makes you personally responsible.
Old 08-01-17, 07:56 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post

Hear, hear!

At work, I won a free smoke detector and a free CO detector from our safety office, they would do special promotions like that. Took them home and installed them.

Clearly I have no pride.
Old 08-01-17, 09:14 AM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Classes you are asking for are nearly impossible in today's educational environment, with the STATE and FEDERAL governments mandating (unpaid) testing requirements, schools will pump almost all resources into this avenue. Funding is tied to these mandates!

Guess who controls what ODE passes out, our State Legislators, so we must first start with changing their mindset, or voting them out to make real changes in schools.

I teach 8th grade Intervention (special education) in one of the poorest part of the state, Pike County. In Jr High w receive $150 for our supplies, I purchased pencils, lined paper, 3 ring binders, erasers, glue sticks, highlighters, Clorox wipes etc.

I have between 15-20 kids per year, and they are in my room for approximately 120 minutes a day depending on what we are working on. We are an inclusion school, so if the Jr High is the least restrictive environment, then they spend the majority of their time in the regular education classroom. I order 250 pencils per year, and depending on class size, have ran out before the year is up.

I purchase Kleenex, and other class supplies out of my own pocket. My wife teaches 4th grade and spends too much for her own room for supplies that go above what the school covers.

I don't like the fact that many parents end up supplying for kids in the class with parents who don't try, or whose kids don't care enough to bring supplies in. I routinely find broken pencils on my floor that the kids have borrowed from me, it pisses me off.
Old 08-01-17, 09:48 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can we begin a class in high schools called personal responsibility?
You can watch someone drive a car, read a book of traffic laws, and talk about what to do, but until you actually drive a car it's all just theoretical. It'd be the same way with a Personal Responsibility class, all just theoretical.

Children and teenagers must learn that their actions have consequences which are meaningful to them. That doesn't happen by having someone tell you about it.
Old 08-01-17, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Hate to say it, but a lot of kids (especially younger) would be screwed without the free meal and school supply programs some of you are belly aching about, especially in the inner-cities and out in the sticks at places like where I work. I'll vouch for King Kong. At my school, it seems like elementary teachers always end up spending a nice chunk of their own cash on supplies because the school doesn't cover enough, and they don't get enough from parents. At the higher levels it's common to be running pretty tight later in the year. Current testing requirements pretty much render the idea of trying to teach personal responsibility or any other "life skill/competency" as a class laughable.
Old 08-01-17, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I talked to my wife who teaches 1st grade and she said there's no way the cost for what her kids are required to have is more than $100. Also, it was pretty clear I was responding to red's post and speaking in generalities. Do you have any idea what a particular district spend on supplies per student?

Quote:

What's bothersome about being asked to provide supplies for your child's classroom?
Old 08-01-17, 10:06 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Send your kids private so you don't have to deal with the nonsense and degens

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: