Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Ohio State's future without Urban Meyer?
Better 4 16.67%
Worse 8 33.33%
Same 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-18, 06:41 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Ohio State's future without Urban Meyer?

Better, worse, the same?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 01:09 PM
All District

bob99 is on a distinguished road
I will be the eternal optimist. Hoping Schiano and Davis go to the NFL as a tandem to any team not called the Browns. Day makes good on simplifying the defence with Grinch as DC. The Bucks can then matchup their 4 and 5 star recruits against the 2 and 3 star recruits of the Iowa and Purdue type teams and avoid the head scratching losses. Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-19, 02:15 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Only few coaches can recruit like Urban
Old 01-01-19, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I think it was a mistake to go with an unknown like Day instead of someone like Campbell. Recruiting will probably drop off because of it.
Old 01-01-19, 04:29 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I think it was a mistake to go with an unknown like Day instead of someone like Campbell. Recruiting will probably drop off because of it.
I would not want either.

Regardless I look for Day's career to resemble Larry Coker's after Butch Davis left or Mark Helfrich at Oregon after Chip Kelly left.
Old 01-01-19, 07:14 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
I think the coaching will be the same or better with the new OC but recruiting will be hard to match.
Old 01-01-19, 07:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Hard to believe that they would be the same or better after losing one of the top coaches in NCAA football history.
Old 01-01-19, 07:46 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Hard to believe that they would be the same or better after losing one of the top coaches in NCAA football history.
Yeah, they really became irrelevant after Woody left
Old 01-01-19, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The question wasn't relevance, it was whether they'd be better, worse or the same. I don't think they will be as good in the short term. Decent, relevant, sure, just a little of a drop off.

Woody's last couple of years were not great (9-3 and 7-4-1), so his successor, Earl Bruce, was not following a one loss #6 team. Day has a much higher standard to follow.
Old 01-01-19, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
I donít think even Urban Meyer himself could improve upon what theyíve been over the past seven years. There will be a mini correction at some point regardless of coach. I think they will continue at around the level Tressel had them at, but with better offense
Old 01-01-19, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I donít think even Urban Meyer himself could improve upon what theyíve been over the past seven years. There will be a mini correction at some point regardless of coach. I think they will continue at around the level Tressel had them at, but with better offense
So nati title contenders, I can live with that
Old 01-02-19, 09:52 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I think the coaching will be the same or better with the new OC but recruiting will be hard to match.
My thoughts exactly leading to the premise that unless they go 12-2 next year or better the program will slide due to lack of recruiting. If you can't recruit the right athlete coaching won't matter.
Old 01-02-19, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
They will be fine going forward, like always.

Dennis Haskins showing at QB will go a very, very long way it recruiting for the QB position, one that OSU has lacked a bit in the past I believe. They dont churn out great QBs often enough.
Old 01-02-19, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Not sure what Saved by the Bell has to do with recruiting QBs but I am all ears

Last edited by Arrogate; 01-02-19 at 11:37 AM..
Old 01-02-19, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

JC Slater big time LB recruit. Background in wrestling.
Old 01-07-19, 02:30 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Some interesting wheels starting to turn on the new Day staff. According to a UM site Greg Mattison is leaving UM to become a DC at tOSU plus Bill Greene is reporting that Greg Schiano has been relived of his DC duties: https://247sports.com/college/michig...CpJmq51j0DSTuU
Old 01-08-19, 10:59 AM
All District

bob99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Some interesting wheels starting to turn on the new Day staff. According to a UM site Greg Mattison is leaving UM to become a DC at tOSU plus Bill Greene is reporting that Greg Schiano has been relived of his DC duties: https://247sports.com/college/michig...CpJmq51j0DSTuU
I don't understand this hire. Maybe have Johnson and Mattison mentor younger staff members? One good thing. Shouldn't have to worry about Mattison coaching one year and looking for a HC job the next. More likely to retire.
Old 01-09-19, 06:16 PM
All Ohio

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Same or Better! Even if the recruiting drops a smidgen, not having SUBUrban Meyer around to kneecap his own team repeatedly will be a breath of fresh air!
Old 01-10-19, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob99 View Post
I don't understand this hire. Maybe have Johnson and Mattison mentor younger staff members? One good thing. Shouldn't have to worry about Mattison coaching one year and looking for a HC job the next. More likely to retire.
Mattison is a really good coach and recruiter. It's a solid hire, especially when paired with the other hires, and especially again because it's a punch in the gut to UM
Old 01-10-19, 11:22 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Mattison is a really good coach and recruiter. It's a solid hire, especially when paired with the other hires, and especially again because it's a punch in the gut to UM
Back in the day ... when I was a HS head football coach at a smaller HS ... Mattison would stop in every year to check on our team ... even though we really never had a player on Michigan's level ... he was a class act ... always treated me like I was a coach with a pipeline of talent ... I have personally rooted for him ... really glad he is a Buckeye now!
Old 01-10-19, 11:27 AM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
The OSU train will keep rolling as long as recruiting remains at a high level. I think Urban showed Day that recruiting is the most important aspect of a great program. Day is trying to make OSU a place that appeals to top QB's and WR's as that is what the game is about these days. Keep putting guys in the league and hire coaches that are great recruiters and you will win. Not sure if he can equal Urban's 7 years with 90% win % but I think he can win a national title during his tenure and many Big 10 crowns.
Old 01-10-19, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Not sure what Saved by the Bell has to do with recruiting QBs but I am all ears

The girls can help out with the on campus visits. Well, maybe not so much anymore. Haven't seen them for at least a decade.
Old 01-11-19, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

Kelly is a bit of a milf these days

Old 01-11-19, 12:55 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's going to be very difficult to retain the same success as Urban has. But it's honestly up to the rest of the big ten. Fair or not fair, Urban has enjoyed a time period where there hasn't been much to counter him at Ohio State.
Let's face it, Michigan has been on a downer for a decade, Michigan State and Wisconsin was good for short periods during Meyer's 7 years, same with Penn State. So to say his record is a little inflated I think is fair.

If the Penn State/ Wisconsin/ Michigan State could return to form (and they don't even play Wisky every year) then you could have some issues. Can Ryan Day recruit like Urban? I think it's just going to be very difficult to keep the Buckeyes at that level.