Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-11-19, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
If you think it's ok to publicly call out an entire conference for being "racially and culturally insensitive," then you are part of the problem.

Imagine if Rutgers decided to leave the Big 10 tomorrow to join the ACC and the AD of Rutgers put out this exact same letter. I would understand leaving for geographical, travel, location, school size and competition reasons (Rutgers would be a better fit in the ACC because of all of these reasons). But the racial and cultural sensitivity stuff would never fly, and the NCAA would be investigating the Big 10 for this. This would probably start a major criminal or federal investigation into the Big 10 and teams would probably lose scholarships and have to pay fines if found. People would avoid scheduling Rutgers too.

I know tiny NE Ohio football isn't on the same scale as major D1 football, but the comparison still stands.
Old 01-11-19, 02:24 PM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post

If they want to leave the GCC, they have every right to. But don't blame it entirely on race relations. If they want to claim travel, location, school size, competition, that's fine. I am all for those reasons. I don't blame Shaker for wanting to leave the GCC one bit. They don't have the same student population that the other schools have. If there was a conference in between the GCC and LEL in terms of competition, they would fit right in.

But they didn't blame it entirely on race relations. Did you even read the article release by Shaker schools? It was the third reason given following stronger LEL leadership and Geographic/Travel considerations. Danny Young also spoke about natural rivalries in the cleveland.com article. Here's part of what they said concering racial/diversity issues....showing that they didnt throw the whole conference under the Bus.
Quote:
The lack of diversity and cultural sensitivity in SOME of the communities in the GCC is a real concern.
Old 01-11-19, 02:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
But they didn't blame it entirely on race relations. Did you even read the article release by Shaker schools? It was the third reason given following stronger LEL leadership and Geographic/Travel considerations. Danny Young also spoke about natural rivalries in the cleveland.com article. Here's part of what they said concering racial/diversity issues....showing that they didnt throw the whole conference under the Bus.
I did read the article. Multiple times

The fact that they even said some communities lack racial sensitivity is still wrong. You'll never get it apparently so there's no point in wasting my time explaining it.
Old 01-11-19, 03:05 PM
All District

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To be fair, they are probably referring more to Medina, Brunswick and Strongsville than to Mentor with the race issues. Maybe Solon too.
Care to explain that ridiculous comment???
Old 01-11-19, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
Care to explain that ridiculous comment???
Simple demographics. Itís not hard
Old 01-11-19, 03:14 PM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure calling out the rest of the league like this is a particularly effective strategy. Will make for some awkward matchups when the schools play each other down the road.

Could have just said the LEL is a better fit in terms of travel, competitiveness, demographics, etc. and left it at that.

The irony of course is that Shaker left the LEL in the first place at least in part because they saw themselves as "better" than those other districts.
Old 01-11-19, 03:15 PM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
And reputation.

Quote:
Old 01-11-19, 03:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I'm not sure calling out the rest of the league like this is a particularly effective strategy. Will make for some awkward matchups when the schools play each other down the road.

Could have just said the LEL is a better fit in terms of travel, competitiveness, demographics, etc. and left it at that.

The irony of course is that Shaker left the LEL in the first place at least in part because they saw themselves as "better" than those other districts.
Well said, especially the last part. Garfield could have joined the LEL when the NOC disbanded, but they didnít want to have the reputation of LEL schools (I know this for a fact). Same kinda thing with shaker. Both schools can say what they want, but theyíre only joining the LEL because itís the only option they have (outside of the GCC for shaker). Both schools were previously LEL members and thought they were better than the rest of the league
Old 01-11-19, 03:33 PM
All District

Quote:
So living in a certain community automatically makes those people racist??? That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with. Sorry you feel that way about people you don't even know.
Old 01-11-19, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Garfield Hts was invited to the LEL. They haven't accepted yet. The GCC should give them the option to replace shaker. They did leave the lel and follow many of those schools to the noc. Albeit before Mentor went there and Euclid never went there

I'd be careful labeling any community as broadly racist. I'm of the belief that there are people like that everywhere you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-19, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday night light View Post
So living in a certain community automatically makes those people racist??? That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with. Sorry you feel that way about people you don't even know.
Youíre not the brightest are you?

Letís see: Shaker Hts High school is currently 62% minority
Brunswick: 8%
Medina: 8%
Strongsville: 15%
Mentor: 9%

Iíll play the percentages and say that, at some point, there have been racial slurs coming from students in one of these communities. Iíve seen it happen first hand, especially in football which is a physical and violent game where emotions run hot. Youíre naive to think it doesnít happen, especially when primarily white communities face more urban schools.

Didnít know I had to spell it out for you
Old 01-11-19, 04:01 PM
All Ohio

I never labeled any community as racist. I’m simply playing the odds here. I’m sure there are plenty of racist people in shaker. As well as mentor, Euclid, Elyria, Brunswick, Parma, East Cleveland, you name it. But I’ve seen first hand where the typical “white school” plays the typical Urban school and there have been words exchanged. Not saying every school is like this, but the harsh reality for some of you guys that live in a bubble apparently is that it happens more than you think........
Old 01-11-19, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Garfield Hts was invited to the LEL. They haven't accepted yet. The GCC should give them the option to replace shaker. They did leave the lel and follow many of those schools to the noc. Albeit before Mentor went there and Euclid never went there

I'd be careful labeling any community as broadly racist. I'm of the belief that there are people like that everywhere you go

No chance Garfield joins the GCC. Outside of basketball, they would get killed in that conference.(and even this year they might with how theyíve looked). Garfield would be bottom 3 in the conference right now in almost every sport if they joined. Their football team woulda been 7-3 at best in the GCC last year
Old 01-11-19, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I never labeled any community as racist. Iím simply playing the odds here. Iím sure there are plenty of racist people in shaker. As well as mentor, Euclid, Elyria, Brunswick, Parma, East Cleveland, you name it. But Iíve seen first hand where the typical ďwhite schoolĒ plays the typical Urban school and there have been words exchanged. Not saying every school is like this, but the harsh reality for some of you guys that live in a bubble apparently is that it happens more than you think........

I just said racism is everywhere. It will come from both sides when the white school plays the black school. It's not one way. That's the point

But why bring up those other schools and not mentor or Elyria ? Elyria has a huge Latino population. Black people and Latino people can hurl racial slurs at each other too. Mentor is white like those others too. But it would seem weird given our history of helping them into two different leagues

Old 01-11-19, 04:45 PM
All District

Quote:
I never labeled any community as racist. Iím simply playing the odds here. Iím sure there are plenty of racist people in shaker. As well as mentor, Euclid, Elyria, Brunswick, Parma, East Cleveland, you name it. But Iíve seen first hand where the typical ďwhite schoolĒ plays the typical Urban school and there have been words exchanged. Not saying every school is like this, but the harsh reality for some of you guys that live in a bubble apparently is that it happens more than you think........
You just labeled Medina, Brunswick and Strongsville by your previous post. I'm gonna let this go now and just get back to the real point of this thread. Think what you want it's all good.
Old 01-11-19, 05:43 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
I wonder if any kid from Shaker Heights will ever have a job in Solon, Brunswick, Medina, Strongsville or Mentor. Or do all Shaker grads work in Garfield Heights and East Cleveland? If it’s the latter, this is a good move. If it’s the former, perhaps finding ways to overcome a couple of idiotic comments from a small minority in a predominantly white community would serve these kids well in their future.
Old 01-11-19, 07:12 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Who does the GCC get to replace Shaker as a very large East Side school? The only really good candidate I can think of is Cleveland Heights and they are in the LEL. I don't think anyone from the Western Reserve Conference would want to make that jump. Plus, there IS a lot of travel in that league across the River to the West Side. Too bad Parma cant get it together re: closing Normandy and Valley Forge. I bet Lorain might want to join but then the balance of the league shifts more to the West Side. Plus Lorain is in the LEL already.
Old 01-11-19, 10:04 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
The GCC chose Shaker and Euclid over Cleveland Hts the first time around. Shaker being a little better all sports wise than Cleveland Hts, and Euclid being an easier travel situation than Cleveland Hts.

Cleveland Hts would face the same competitiveness issues across sports that Shaker and Euclid do, and deal with the similar travel issues that Shaker has as they are pretty distant from highways
Old 01-11-19, 10:43 PM
All American

Quote:
I did read the article. Multiple times

The fact that they even said some communities lack racial sensitivity is still wrong. You'll never get it apparently so there's no point in wasting my time explaining it.
No, I just caught you in a blantant lie or you didn't read the article...here you are, in your own words :

Quote:
If you think it's ok to publicly call out an entire conference for being "racially and culturally insensitive," then you are part of the problem.
But that's not what they did...this is Shaker's words:

Quote:
The lack of diversity and cultural sensitivity in SOME of the communities in the GCC is a real concern.
This is NOT calling out the whole GCC and it's not wrong if that has been their experience. The following quote show's you either have a problem with reading comprehension or you did not read the statement by Shaker schools as the reasons they gave fall right in line with what you wanted to hear...

Quote:
If they want to leave the GCC, they have every right to. But don't blame it entirely on race relations. If they want to claim travel, location, school size, competition, that's fine. I am all for those reasons. I don't blame Shaker for wanting to leave the GCC one bit. They don't have the same student population that the other schools have. If there was a conference in between the GCC and LEL in terms of competition, they would fit right in.

But don't throw 7 other schools under the bus.........
Just keep it real and admit you are one of those folks who get's upset when racism is called out and becuase of that in your anger you couldn't actually process the full explanation of Shakers exit from the GCC. As the old folks would say...a hit dog will holler.
Old 01-11-19, 11:09 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just keep it real and admit you are one of those folks who get's upset when racism is called out and becuase of that in your anger you couldn't actually process the full explanation of Shakers exit from the GCC. As the old folks would say...a hit dog will holler.
I'm one of those people that gets upset when racism gets called out because I see it everywhere BOTH WAYS. I have seen it from Shaker Heights and have been on the receiving end of it many years ago. I travel through different ethnic areas and without exception, there is racism everywhere.

Work towards solving this problem. Shaker Heights was wrong in how they handled this. Fix the problems in your own community before pointing your finger at other communities.
Old 01-12-19, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

Last question: if the GCC is so racist, why hasn’t Euclid tried to leave, claiming racism? Euclid has the highest minority percentage in the GCC and they seem to be fine with being in the GCC.

Bottom line is Shaker can’t compete with the rest of the GCC in most sports and they want to play down to their level of competition instead of up. Go 8-2 every year in the LEL in football and get beat down by mentor in the first round of the playoffs every year. Have fun with that. They even list this as one of the 3 main reasons. Sad
Old 01-12-19, 08:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
I'm one of those people that gets upset when racism gets called out because I see it everywhere BOTH WAYS. I have seen it from Shaker Heights and have been on the receiving end of it many years ago. I travel through different ethnic areas and without exception, there is racism everywhere.

Work towards solving this problem. Shaker Heights was wrong in how they handled this. Fix the problems in your own community before pointing your finger at other communities.
Well said
Old 01-12-19, 10:36 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post

I completely agree, who cares if kids are being called racial slurs during athletic comp. Unless their community is perfect, they cant take issue with it! Excellent logic!
Old 01-12-19, 01:01 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I completely agree, who cares if kids are being called racial slurs during athletic comp. Unless their community is perfect, they cant take issue with it! Excellent logic!
Yep. That is what I said. Just skip over the part where I said every community needs to fix their own problems. Shaker Heights is far from pure. The only difference is the politically correct crowd will embrace their garbage because of who they are attacking.

Run off to the lesser conference so you can compete again but stop the race baiting. Very irresponsible but they will get the media to regurgitate their garbage.
Old 01-12-19, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

West Akron is clearly a shaker troll. No sense in arguing with him. He takes bits and pieces of what people say and twist them to fit his argument. He would do well working for CNN
Old 01-12-19, 07:58 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Just go get Cleveland Hts and your basketball/football league improves.No more Sat afternoon games either.
Old 01-12-19, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

No teams are leaving the lel for the GCC. They would have the same competition problems as shaker

Old 01-12-19, 10:06 PM
All Ohio

Any legitimate ideas for what the GCC could do to replace shaker? Is staying with 7 schools an option?
Old 01-12-19, 10:25 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
No teams are leaving the lel for the GCC. They would have the same competition problems as shaker

Not in football or basketball.But you know everything so we should lock this topic down then,
Old 01-12-19, 10:56 PM
All Yappi

Lake Erie League is expanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Not in football or basketball.But you know everything so we should lock this topic down then,

Sports are about more than 2 revenue sports. Doesn't take a lot of knowledge to know that

I don't know you from anyone else to comment with a bitter tone as you did towards me. But you can save your little snarky tone for someone who will give a damn