Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-19, 05:47 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Sylvania Southview Coach Jim Mayzes retires

https://www.13abc.com/content/sports...504130661.html
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-19, 07:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
You've been kind of calling him out for awhile. Guy won a state championship, had many good teams but it's a more competitive burb these days. Harder to compete for that talent. Only the good needs mentioned. State Champ!

Good luck in the retirement Coach!
Old 01-10-19, 07:29 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
I've mentioned the good and the bad. Good luck to Coach Mayzes in his retirement.
Old 01-10-19, 07:56 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
Definitely miss the old Rogers-Southview battles in week 2 every year!! Coach Mayzes did a tremendous job at SV and will greatly missed! Much respect!!
Old 01-10-19, 08:29 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
1disciple has always been a fan.

Mayzes had a rub to him but he went to a state title game twice in a district that cares little for football. He seemed to get an awful lot out of his kids. What I respect most is he road the public school waves of talent. Played for a state title in 1999 and won one in 2008 and also had a couple winless seasons in about the same stretch. Last year the Cougars finished what? 4-6? And he was quoted in the Blade as saying he was having the most fun in his career as his team still competed and played hard even though numbers and talent were not where they once were. Many coaches bolt when they see that talent well drying up. Not him.

14-0 - Only Toledo area to do so.

It will be hard to keep him in the stands. He simply has too much passion. I could see him coaching a Jr. High team. The man has too much teaching skill to opt out.
Old 01-11-19, 08:19 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Who is in line for the job? Does Greg Neuendorf come back to coaching?
Old 01-11-19, 09:29 AM
All World

Who wants that job? Very little school support, numbers down? Maumee is almost more appealing.
Old 01-11-19, 09:33 AM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Hard to imagine who they could get. Most schools don't have the funds or aren't willing to hire from the outside. Probably someone on staff
Old 01-11-19, 12:52 PM
Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Who wants that job? Very little school support, numbers down? Maumee is almost more appealing.

"et tu" Irish Buffalo? That comment hurt!

I think Maumee is a good job.
Old 01-11-19, 01:24 PM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Who is Maumee getting? Anyone know besides Jordan Strack?
Old 01-11-19, 05:56 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
"et tu" Irish Buffalo? That comment hurt!

I think Maumee is a good job.
Lol, take er easy dappling. More of a testament to what Mayzes did at Southview. He went to two state title games without a stadium to call his own. When they finally built him one it was on par with a 1975 DIV school.

I actually think the Maumee job is fairly appealing. New facilities, D3 but still have athletes. I understand Maumee is landlocked but they have potential.
Old 01-16-19, 12:11 AM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
Should know the maumee coach by the end of the week I would guess. Some believe a former assistant will be taking over but nothing has been confirmed.

As for the job, I think that’s a fair assessment Irish
Old 01-16-19, 09:42 AM
Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
lol..no worries Irishbuffalo! I love your insight on all things Toledo-related!

Maumee is a good job with a good pay scale and facilities that should attract a good candidate. The district is also financial stable.

They were 0-10 last year. They weren't a 10-0 team by any stretch. More like 3-7 or 4-6. There were rumors of internal turmoil and friction.

Marc Gibson, the former coach, won at Clyde, but for whatever reason didn't have much success at Maumee...success that John Boles and before him Hal LaFountaine had in the past. Based upon his experience and past successes, I can see Coach Gibson being hired to coach elsewhere.

With any luck (and patience), the new guy at Maumee will right the ship and get things moving in a positive direction.
Old 01-16-19, 03:16 PM
All District

Still remember Coach LaFountaine coming to talk to me outside of the locker room at Rogers after a tough loss against his Panthers. That would've been my senior season in 1986. Definitely a class act!
Old 01-16-19, 05:24 PM
All World

Quote:

Maumee is a good job with a good pay scale and facilities that should attract a good candidate. The district is also financial stable.

They were 0-10 last year. They weren't a 10-0 team by any stretch. More like 3-7 or 4-6. There were rumors of internal turmoil and friction.

Marc Gibson, the former coach, won at Clyde, but for whatever reason didn't have much success at Maumee...success that John Boles and before him Hal LaFountaine had in the past. Based upon his experience and past successes, I can see Coach Gibson being hired to coach elsewhere.

With any luck (and patience), the new guy at Maumee will right the ship and get things moving in a positive direction.
I hope they hire someone not already in the system but I have been told otherwise. We will see. Whoever it is, I wish them luck. Maumee has underachieved the last 5-6 years IMO.
Old 01-16-19, 05:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrios View Post
Still remember Coach LaFountaine coming to talk to me outside of the locker room at Rogers after a tough loss against his Panthers. That would've been my senior season in 1986. Definitely a class act!
Was he on a golf cart?

I always thought it would be funny if he and former Waite coach Charlie Delker could race their golf carts.
Old 01-17-19, 07:53 AM
All District

in 86 he was still walking around! At least he was at Rogers since it was a road game for him! Can't believe it has been over 30 years!!
Old 01-18-19, 11:42 AM
All World

Mike Vicars is the new coach at Bedford (MI). Good fit IMO.
Old 01-18-19, 02:06 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's interesting.
Old 01-18-19, 05:27 PM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
they must have a good run of kids coming
Old 01-18-19, 06:02 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Clyde kids are animals.
Old 01-19-19, 01:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtme View Post
they must have a good run of kids coming
I've heard that about him. Regardless the man can coach and if you ever get a chance to speak to anyone who has played for him or coached with him they have nothing but the utmost respect.

He's always been a small school guy so it will be interesting from that standpoint. DI football, even by MI standards, is a different animal than DIII/DIV/DV.

Bedford averages around 30 seniors every year. Regardless of talent he will do just fine. Looking forward to his match-ups with Palka.
Old 01-19-19, 03:15 PM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
right, but its easy to win game when you jump around to find talent when the talent dries up where you are. I am curious, what is the longest he has been at one school?
Old 01-19-19, 06:06 PM
Junior Varsity

NLL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
right, but its easy to win game when you jump around to find talent when the talent dries up where you are. I am curious, what is the longest he has been at one school?
Doubtme - below is from the Blade article announcing his hiring at Bedford.

“Vicars, whose trademark has been turning downtrodden programs into winners, has posted a 185-114 record over 27 total head coaching seasons at six different schools – Holgate (1987-88), Ada (1989-94), Hilltop (1997-98), Delta (1999-2006, 2013), Genoa (2007-11), and Swanton (2014-16).”
Old 01-19-19, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:

By that measure, he must have a darn fine eye for talent.

The man can coach too. Like IB, I'll look forward to Bedford-Saline match-ups. Solid x's and o's.