Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-08-19, 12:25 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Newbury to close

Newberry local schools will merge with West Geauga schools beginning with the 2020 school year. Another small Geauga district to close. Ledgemont closed and merged with Berkshire. Is this the start of more consolidating in Ohio. Windham? Vanlue? Bloomfield Mespo? There are many in NE Ohio and Western Ohio.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Newbury!!!
Old 01-08-19, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
This is sad, but probably necessary. I think this will be a slow gradual trend over the next 25+ years. A lot of these very small districts simply don't have the student bodies anymore to justify being open and consolidation only makes sense. I think we may see this on a large scale in the extremely distant future too, where large geographical locations consolidate all of their services, not just schools. For instance, there are 22 school districts in Hamilton County! There are over 40 police departments, over 35 fire departments, and over 45 independent municipalities (local governments) all in Hamilton County. At some point, the well is going to dry up for all of these smaller jurisdictions and consolidation will be the only way that services will move on.
Old 01-08-19, 01:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Newbury!!!
Sorry for misspelling. I knew it was wrong when posted, forgot to correct.
Old 01-08-19, 01:13 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Here is the link from Fox 8:https://fox8.com/2019/01/08/newbury-...hools-in-2020/

I believe there were talks a couple of years ago about combining Newbury, Ledgemont, Berkshire, and Cardinal into one school. I remember seeing it on the Yappi boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-19, 01:27 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
This is sad, but probably necessary. I think this will be a slow gradual trend over the next 25+ years. A lot of these very small districts simply don't have the student bodies anymore to justify being open and consolidation only makes sense. I think we may see this on a large scale in the extremely distant future too, where large geographical locations consolidate all of their services, not just schools. For instance, there are 22 school districts in Hamilton County! There are over 40 police departments, over 35 fire departments, and over 45 independent municipalities (local governments) all in Hamilton County. At some point, the well is going to dry up for all of these smaller jurisdictions and consolidation will be the only way that services will move on.
That always sounds great, in theory, and I think it would work in practice. The problem is once these discussions get down the road and 22 school superintendents, 40 police chiefs, 35 fire chiefs, 45 mayors/trustees (and their support staffs) start realizing many of them will be consolidated right out of a job, suddenly consolidation is a terrible idea.
Old 01-08-19, 01:58 PM
Freshman

Spot50 is on a distinguished road
It is about time. Having coached there years ago, the Board of Education was very much out of touch with reality and cared very little with their athletic and academic programs. The average graduating class when I was there was approx 50 kids and they decided to stay in the CVC and play with the big boys (West G, Chagrin Falls, Orange, etc). The goal for them was to be associated with the league and its prestige and not compete in the league. It took them many years to realize the CVC was not the best fit due to size when they moved to the smaller school NEO conference. Again, it's about time.
Old 01-08-19, 02:00 PM
Junior Varsity

reganaustinjames is on a distinguished road
This sure looks like trouble for NAC football (the rest of the conference should be fine given the Trumbull non-football schools). They're losing Grand Valley to the CVC this year and now Newbury after next, leaving Windham, Pymatuning Valley, Mathews, and Southington. They could grab St. John (who they all play already), but aside from that, who's out there?
Old 01-08-19, 03:34 PM
All Ohio

Mathews99
Well, The NAC is in serious trouble now, football wise at least, they better go fishing for some schools.... Right now I don't think they have an option to be picky.... Ashtabula St. John's, Lutheran East, Conneaut, Newton Falls, Fairport Harbor, its time to see what is out there with interest in the NAC...

I am sorry to hear about Newbury, as I was when Ledgemont did the same thing, but if it is what works up there, wish those kids the best...
Old 01-08-19, 04:16 PM
All American

How will this impact W. Geauga size? What division are they currently in football? Impact?
Old 01-09-19, 07:32 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Here is the link from Fox 8:https://fox8.com/2019/01/08/newbury-...hools-in-2020/

I believe there were talks a couple of years ago about combining Newbury, Ledgemont, Berkshire, and Cardinal into one school. I remember seeing it on the Yappi boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol there were never talks of combining all 4 of the schools. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.......
Old 01-09-19, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
How will this impact W. Geauga size? What division are they currently in football? Impact?
Newbury only has 300 kids in the entire district, so we can estimate 25-30 kids per class, times 4 grades in HS is 100-120 kids in the HS. so 50-60 more boys. Probably bumps them back up to D3 in football I would say. West G is currently D4
Old 01-09-19, 07:51 AM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews99 View Post
Well, The NAC is in serious trouble now, football wise at least, they better go fishing for some schools.... Right now I don't think they have an option to be picky.... Ashtabula St. John's, Lutheran East, Conneaut, Newton Falls, Fairport Harbor, its time to see what is out there with interest in the NAC...

I am sorry to hear about Newbury, as I was when Ledgemont did the same thing, but if it is what works up there, wish those kids the best...
Newton Falls could be looking at PTC, Leetonia is looking at the NAC
Old 01-09-19, 08:02 AM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
These things can get quite emotional, and political. I would not assume it is a done deal. However, it is right way to go and probably many more need to follow across Ohio.
Old 01-09-19, 08:10 AM
All Ohio

It's funny because I've been seeing a ton of articles come out for the last 6 months to a year (even one as recent as November) saying that Newbury was dead set on not consolidating, yet 2 months later it's going to happen within a year and a half. I want to know the full story here (we won't know for a while unfortunately).
Old 01-09-19, 08:37 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball 4 View Post
Newton Falls could be looking at PTC, Leetonia is looking at the NAC
Does the EOAC know Leetonia is looking elsewhere?
Old 01-09-19, 11:09 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Newbury only has 300 kids in the entire district, so we can estimate 25-30 kids per class, times 4 grades in HS is 100-120 kids in the HS. so 50-60 more boys. Probably bumps them back up to D3 in football I would say. West G is currently D4
Wow. That is small. West G may be able to absorb and disperse those students among several elementary schools without adding very many professional staff, at all. Even the impact on a single-site middle school or the high school would be minimal.
Old 01-09-19, 11:33 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Lol there were never talks of combining all 4 of the schools. Don't believe everything you see on the internet.......
This study involving all four districts consolidating may be what they are referring to:

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/in...dy_of_fou.html
Old 01-09-19, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
This study involving all four districts consolidating may be what they are referring to:

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/in...dy_of_fou.html
A study, yes

Serious talks among the 4 districts, no

I know with 100% certainty that Cardinal is not interested in consolidation whatsoever for the near future and Berkshire has always been hesitant to open talks (this shows with them not jumping at the opportunity to inherit Newbury) even with inheriting Ledgemont a few years ago.

Now with Newbury joining with West G, The only other option is merging Cardinal and Berkshire, but Cardinal has been firm on not consolidating for the last few years (especially with the passage of a few recent levies).

A central HS at Kent State sounds like a good idea, but there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration. What do they do with all of the vacant schools? How will transportation look? Getting rid of teachers, admin, etc. If populations continue to decrease, maybe talks open up again, but if it took Newbury to have an enrollment of under 30 kids per class to merge, I don't see any other mergers happening anytime soon. Cardinal is about 70-80 per class and Berkshire is about 90-100 per class.

Last edited by tribefan23; 01-09-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 06:31 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
For this enrollment cycle, West G was at 256 males and Newbury was at 63

If that number holds, they would become the largest male enrollment within the present CVC (Harvey currently holds that at 324, Geneva was close behind at 314). Among the schools coming into the conference, only Lakeside would be larger.

So in terms of the conference that West G is in, the impact is very limited.
Old 01-10-19, 07:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
For this enrollment cycle, West G was at 256 males and Newbury was at 63

If that number holds, they would become the largest male enrollment within the present CVC (Harvey currently holds that at 324, Geneva was close behind at 314). Among the schools coming into the conference, only Lakeside would be larger.

So in terms of the conference that West G is in, the impact is very limited.
So would that bump them up to D3 with Harvey and Geneva then? Or would they make the jump up to D2? I guess we wouldn't know until final numbers come out at the end of next year/beginning of 2020-21 year
Old 01-10-19, 12:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Not near enough to make the jump to D2.

2018 number for D3 is 278-388. 319 boys will get them firmly entrenched in D3. I would be surprised if numbers change that much in a couple years.
Old 01-11-19, 07:24 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Ledgemont's final season of football was 2014. They went 3-6 with one game cancelled. In their final 2 games ever they defeated Windham 27-6 on the road and in their home finale (and final game ever as a program) they defeated Newbury 33-0.

In last season's finale at home Newbury defeated Vienna Mathews 28-14. Newbury was 2-8 and won no road games. I would imagine they will play, or try to play in 2019. (they cancelled their final 3 games in 2015 due to lack of players.)

Hopefully they can cap their program history with a win in their finale next season as well.
Old 01-13-19, 07:22 AM
Freshman

Dumpster Fire is on a distinguished road
Hopefully this is the start of consolidation across the state. If you havent noticed, people arent flocking to Ohio in 2019 (apparently $hitty winter weather isn't popular with people). Population is stagnant at best and people are having fewer children nowadays. Sure it would be unpopular politically, but perhaps this new administration would explore the option to save us taxpayers some money. Then again when do any politicians for either party do what makes sense? Curious how many D6 Or D7 school districts could easily consolidate to neighboring districts.
Old 01-17-19, 01:05 AM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
It's absolutely ridiculous the number of high schools and school districts that Ohio has.
Old 01-17-19, 07:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster Fire View Post
Hopefully this is the start of consolidation across the state. If you havent noticed, people arent flocking to Ohio in 2019 (apparently $hitty winter weather isn't popular with people). Population is stagnant at best and people are having fewer children nowadays. Sure it would be unpopular politically, but perhaps this new administration would explore the option to save us taxpayers some money. Then again when do any politicians for either party do what makes sense? Curious how many D6 Or D7 school districts could easily consolidate to neighboring districts.
I'm sure consolidation is coming rapidly across the state. Most of these schools districts were built during the population boom of the 50s and 60s and have seen population declines since the new millenium. Even large districts in the state are losing population and have had to consolidate their own buildings, move kids around, move teachers around, and even eliminate positions. The only areas that seem to be unaffected by this shift are urban areas in the state. Mentor, one of the largest districts in NE Ohio has had to close elementary schools over the last few years. It's not just in small districts. It will be interesting to see what alot of these rural counties decide to do over the next decade or so.
Old 01-17-19, 10:22 AM
All District

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
Windham needs to do something soon, interesting stat about this. Portage County Public School Enrollment: Here's the stats for Windham: 1998 1,151 students; 2008 774 students; 2017 444 students that's a -61% decline. Need to act fast!

Quote:
Newberry local schools will merge with West Geauga schools beginning with the 2020 school year. Another small Geauga district to close. Ledgemont closed and merged with Berkshire. Is this the start of more consolidating in Ohio. Windham? Vanlue? Bloomfield Mespo? There are many in NE Ohio and Western Ohio.
Old 01-17-19, 01:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcphers7 View Post
Windham needs to do something soon, interesting stat about this. Portage County Public School Enrollment: Here's the stats for Windham: 1998 1,151 students; 2008 774 students; 2017 444 students that's a -61% decline. Need to act fast!
Some of those I'm sure open enrolled to J.A. Garfield. These 2 schools are so close and border each other.
Old 01-17-19, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Some of those I'm sure open enrolled to J.A. Garfield. These 2 schools are so close and border each other.
That's how Newbury is with West G too. I think I saw a stat that almost 50% of students living in Newbury were enrolled in schools outside of Newbury (mostly West G).
Old 01-17-19, 03:18 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
As a school shrinks, their scholastic offerings dwindle and families make the decision to send kids to the bigger schools that have more to offer.