Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-20-18, 10:09 AM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Best Players You Have Seen That Aren't Getting Good College Looks

I saw a tweet that prompted me to start this. I'll start with the tweeter:

Malcolm Bryant- #58 Winton Woods D-line, This guy is a high motor, never quit get after it defensive player. Low and heavy, hard to block, requires game planning and discussion to deal with him. Harder to contend with then his teammate Booker. Booker has the measurables getting attention, Bryant is the better player.

Justin Hiltbrand- #8 Edgewood OLB, Very quiet and nice farm kid. Straps on a helmet and becomes the most competitive human you have encountered. Not done growing at 6'4 and 225lb. I would guess 25-30 more lbs and play him at MLB. Athletic and fast enough to cover your TE and get interceptions, hard enough to knock you interior runners on their butts. College coaches are sleeping on this guy.

Elijah Williams- #24 Edgewood FB, 5'11 225, benches close to 300, deadlifts 520, fast enough to run away from you but would rather run through you. Over 2000 yards in two seasons at FB sharing the backfield with Wade Phillips at 2500 plus yards himself, and Elijah missed three games last year. Lots of room to develop this kid, not sure why he isn't deciding on major offers already.

Who have you seen?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-18, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I think a LM parent may chime in here.
Old 12-20-18, 10:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Patten could be a Wes Welker type slot receiver and be productive somewhere.

I'll take that.
Old 12-20-18, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Hell I could post all day long about great hs players who are or were not college prospects. Mostly due to size and 40.
Old 12-20-18, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Hell I could post all day long about great hs players who are or were not college prospects. Mostly due to size and 40.
Class of 2019 please
Old 12-20-18, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Jaydon Culp Bishop of Troy

He's so dynamic and is one of the fastest players in Ohio. Rushed for over 2,000 yds. Only downside is he is slightly built. Probably around 180/185 but has room to add some bulk.

He only has MAC/UC etc. after him

IMO he would do fine at a mid level big 10 school
Old 12-20-18, 12:39 PM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised that I haven't heard JJ Davis of Colerain's name mentioned with any offers.
Old 12-20-18, 01:39 PM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
damn beat me to it!
Old 12-20-18, 07:47 PM
Varsity

ptpattenpackerfan is on a distinguished road
I would heartily agree with Pull-to_trap on Elijah Williams. Tough young man with room to grow. Was wondering re: #21 who filled in for Phillips in the play-off game. Is he a Senior? He ran very well - quickness and toughness.
Old 12-20-18, 07:49 PM
Varsity

ptpattenpackerfan is on a distinguished road
Also don't hear much re: Nakemon Willimas from Kings. Consistent 1,000 yard rusher.
Old 12-21-18, 10:54 AM
Freshman

Big932 is on a distinguished road
QB McKee from Wayne. 3 year starter. Amazing athlete. I don't know if he's necessarily a QB at the next level. To watch in person, he's one of the more impressive players I've seen recently.

WR Victoria from Wayne. Explosive receiver. Signed to YSU. I figured he would get bigger offers, MAC-type school interest.

RB Culp-Bishop from Troy. Excellent speed and ability. 2000 yard rusher last season. You can tell he's a little raw with a lot of potential to get better.

DL Wudke from Miamisburg. Tall kid (maybe 6'4-6'5) with pretty good speed. Teams couldn't run to his side of the field.

LB Straw from Lebanon. The most dominate football player I saw this season. His stats weren't incorrect, that kid could've been credited for a tackle on almost every play. I believe he is committed to Navy. I thought he would possibly be a Big-10-type kid.
Old 12-21-18, 01:30 PM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Do the aforementioned have no offers or simply no D1 or more specifically Power5 offers?

If a kid wants to play in college it is almost impossible to not find a DIII school willing to make an offer. Many of the smaller schools use football (and athletics) as a recruiting tool for the school.

It does take some work on the part of the players if they are not a 2-5 star rated player. The kids who will play at the FCS DII or DIII level they often have to promote themselves to get on the radar of schools. If they are not emailing film to coaches and attending camps then they will not get noticed
Old 12-21-18, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big932 View Post
QB McKee from Wayne. 3 year starter. Amazing athlete. I don't know if he's necessarily a QB at the next level. To watch in person, he's one of the more impressive players I've seen recently.

WR Victoria from Wayne. Explosive receiver. Signed to YSU. I figured he would get bigger offers, MAC-type school interest.

RB Culp-Bishop from Troy. Excellent speed and ability. 2000 yard rusher last season. You can tell he's a little raw with a lot of potential to get better.

DL Wudke from Miamisburg. Tall kid (maybe 6'4-6'5) with pretty good speed. Teams couldn't run to his side of the field.

LB Straw from Lebanon. The most dominate football player I saw this season. His stats weren't incorrect, that kid could've been credited for a tackle on almost every play. I believe he is committed to Navy. I thought he would possibly be a Big-10-type kid.
He is pretty raw. He is a late bloomer as well. He didn't even play football until Jr. High. He was in the band, believe it or not. And not only that, when he was originally coming up, he didn't even play rb. As early as the beginning of the 2017 season, he wasn't even Troy's starting rb. He was 3rd string. It wasn't until later in 2017 that he became the starter. If someone takes a chance on him, they will not regret it. He had the second most yards in a season in Troy history which says a lot if you know the rb's we've had.
Old 12-21-18, 02:02 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Now, one thing NOT being mentioned on here is academics. That is the biggest reason for no recruitment. Kids and families will say grades are great, but the reality is for many they are terrible and the players don't meet the NCAA D1, D2, or NAIA requirements.

Yes, D3 schools are a phenomenal option for players and if a young man wants to play at the next level, there is a school for him ~ talent wise, but the D3 schools most have incredibly rigorous academic requirements that can't be messed with, because it's academics first at those places.

Some of the best talents I've seen in high school play ZERO college ball since their grades and test scores were so poor.

I'm not saying that's the case with any of the above-mentioned young men, but it is a reality for we spectators looking in as to why some are not getting recruited.
Old 12-21-18, 03:30 PM
Freshman

Macho Man is on a distinguished road
He is a Junior who started at SS.
Old 12-21-18, 03:31 PM
All District

Warrior Watcher is on a distinguished road
Let us not forget that we just saw the EARLY signing period. They kids that signed were the schools Tear 1 recruits. So the kids that have not signed yet do to size or test scores are Tear 2 or3 recruits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-18, 03:33 PM
All District

Warrior Watcher is on a distinguished road
I think alot of parents do thier kids a strong injustice by not helping thier kids to look at NAIA schools... some of the kids you all just named would have been tear 1 recruits on the NAIA level

Old 12-21-18, 03:49 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big932 View Post

I agree with Straw. I thought he was Big Ten level talent, but think height hurt him a little. In my opinion, he was better than Newburg at Northmont (Michigan commit)
Old 12-21-18, 05:46 PM
Freshman

Big932 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
I agree with Straw. I thought he was Big Ten level talent, but think height hurt him a little. In my opinion, he was better than Newburg at Northmont (Michigan commit)
Agreed. I didnít really understand the hype with Newburg. Measurables Iím sure are off the charts, but his play didnít overly impress me. Wish him the best at Michigan though.
Old 12-22-18, 02:19 AM
All Region

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Yep - Size & 40 time or ACT score. It's all about the measurables for the position
& grades. Ability comes into play after the player has met the measurables & GPA/ACT scores.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-22-18 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 07:54 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Watcher View Post
I think alot of parents do thier kids a strong injustice by not helping thier kids to look at NAIA schools... some of the kids you all just named would have been tear 1 recruits on the NAIA level

But the schools themselves are not very good.
Old 12-22-18, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
But the schools themselves are not very good.
There are some fine NAIA schools.

Also, I have never heard of an employer not giving someone a job because of where their degree was from. All employers care about is that you have a specific degree/training. Especially with online schools, employers just care about the credentials.
Old 12-22-18, 08:54 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post

Also, I have never heard of an employer not giving someone a job because of where their degree was from.
When the labor market is less favorable for employees as it is currently, many employers use the school one attended as a filter to cut the resumes down to a manageable number.

In terms of schools, I focused on Ohio schools that offer football. The NAIA and D2 schools are poo.
Old 12-22-18, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

Could not disagree more. Even in terrible economic times and worse job markets it is skill level, personality, work ethic, and experience that gets you an interview and the job, not where your degree is from. Online degree, "poo NAIA school," or some little Podunk college, they don't care if you have the right experience and credentials.

Networking and gainin industry experience and contacts is far more important. In today's world it is so easy with technology to make those connections and contacts.
Old 12-22-18, 10:05 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Also, I have never heard of an employer not giving someone a job because of where their degree was from. All employers care about is that you have a specific degree/training. Especially with online schools, employers just care about the credentials.
That really makes no sense. Where one gets a degree does matter. Some schools "anyone" can get into. Some schools only the select few can. As an employer you would be a fool not to consider such information when hiring. Does that mean some kid from a lessor schools wouldn't make a great employee? of course not.
Old 12-22-18, 10:07 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Networking and gainin industry experience and contacts is far more important. In today's world it is so easy with technology to make those connections and contacts.
A kid just out of college will not have networking or industry experience, he will only have a diploma.
Old 12-22-18, 10:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
A kid just out of college will not have networking or industry experience, he will only have a diploma.
Then that person is not doing college the right way. Tons of co-ops, internships, and tons of ways to network and gain experience. Every college has some sort of those programs plus career centers. If you are not going out of your way to utilize those recourses, then what's the point of college? You should leave college with way more than a diploma, unless you did 4 years of partying then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-22-18, 10:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
That really makes no sense. Where one gets a degree does matter. Some schools "anyone" can get into. Some schools only the select few can. As an employer you would be a fool not to consider such information when hiring. Does that mean some kid from a lessor schools wouldn't make a great employee? of course not.
Your last sentence says it all. It really does not matter today, you guys are thinking of 20 years ago where college prestige meant much more. With everyone being so connected in the 21st century it really doesn't matter, unless you went to Trump University, ITT Tech or some other "fake college." If the college is regionally accredited, then it meets the same criteria as all other regionally accredited University. Why pay 2x the price when the degrees meet same accreditation criterion.
Old 12-22-18, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Yep - Size & 40 time or ACT score. It's all about the measurables for the position
& grades. Ability comes into play after the player has met the measurables & GPA/ACT scores.
I understand that measurables & academics are the obvious starting points, but what I have never understood is why actual game performance against high-level competition (GWOC D1 talent) doesn't matter more. I have seen too many D1 players signed that have the measurables but their game performance didn't match.
Old 12-22-18, 10:45 AM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not necessarily so, if the kid was smart enough to go through some type of co-op program on the way to earning his degree. That would obviously depend on whether or not the college offered co-op; but that's a great way to gain real-world, relevant experience, and make possible future connections.