Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-11-18, 08:12 AM
Junior Varsity

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Bishop Ready new coach

I heard Brian Cross wonít be back at Bishop Ready. Any idea of where they might look?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-18, 08:17 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Do you have a link/source to where you saw this?? I've checked online and the Twitter account and there has been no mention of Cross leaving.
Old 12-11-18, 08:31 AM
Junior Varsity

He told the team this morning that he wasnít coming back next year.
Old 12-11-18, 08:31 AM
Junior Varsity

Actually it was Monday when he told them.
Old 12-11-18, 08:38 AM
All Region

If this is the case then best of luck to Coach Cross in his next endeavor/chapter.

Ready football has unfortunately taken a step back since the 2013 season. Hopefully there is a serious look at how to get the Silver Knights football program back to the level Ready is accustomed to. I hope they look at someone new. Cross was always a very questionable hire at best as you knew he wouldn't be around very long.

Last edited by ReadyKnightsFan; 12-11-18 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 11:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Bring back 🐺 lol! I wonder if they just grab an assistant or look outside?
Old 12-11-18, 11:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJect View Post
Bring back �� lol! I wonder if they just grab an assistant or look outside?
Hahaha it wouldn't be the worst decision this administration has ever made. I sincerely hope there is some serious vetting of qualified candidates that occurs. This is a program that is 5 years removed from being the best team in the state (still have issues with the unsportsmanlike call at the end of the game that essentially gave Kirtland the State Championship). The Cross hire never made sense to me and I hope given the outcome of his tenure, whoever is in charge of hiring the next coach looks at more than years of experience. Wolf and Cutler were both able to take this program to State. It's time the program gets up off the mat and stops looking mediocre.

The new coach will also have to deal with a program in transition. How long was the agreement Ready made with the CCL to play one of their schools every year or is that even happening? St. Charles was supposed to replace Hartley but the schools do not appear to have the same week free next season. Is this program joining the MSL after the 2019 season? The schedule is very interesting with games against West Jeff, Genoa Area, Whitehall, and Grandview Heights.

Last edited by ReadyKnightsFan; 12-11-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 01:41 PM
Junior Varsity

I do know that St. Charles is replacing Hartley on next yearís schedule. I imagine it will be home and home? This team should be pretty good next year. Didnít lose too many seniors. They had a tough schedule this past year. Lucky break here or there and they get into the playoffs.
Old 12-11-18, 01:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Yeah team that lost to Kirtland was very, very good!
Old 12-11-18, 05:22 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...as-ready-coach
Old 12-13-18, 12:59 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
I genuinely would not be surprised to see Ready take on an underwhelming hire, unless Joel Cutler comes back.
Old 12-13-18, 08:40 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Happy retirement Coach Cross. You earned it.

Several of my friends and co-workers played under Coach Cross at various schools. Everyone one of them have great respect for him.
Old 12-13-18, 09:23 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Happy retirement Coach Cross. You earned it.

Several of my friends and co-workers played under Coach Cross at various schools. Everyone one of them have great respect for him.
Hes not retiring. He was let go. Cutler is coming back. It was done a week ago
Old 12-13-18, 10:07 AM
Junior Varsity

DCap113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Isn't Cutler still under an investigation at UA? I know he resigned (er... not asked to come back), but I thought I saw the investigations was still ongoing.
Old 12-13-18, 12:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Is there truth to this? Cutler never really gelled at UA but he took the Ready football team to incredible heights.
Old 12-13-18, 01:29 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If true, Ready is only slightly more dumb than Orange was.... But I guess private schools are able to make hiring decisions that public schools won't make.
Old 12-13-18, 03:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
If true, Ready is only slightly more dumb than Orange was.... But I guess private schools are able to make hiring decisions that public schools won't make.
Cross took over a program coming off a Regional Championship. He went 30-22, lost at least 4 games every year he was at Ready, made the playoffs twice in 5 years just getting in at the 8 seed both years. How in the world is that a dumb move? All due respect to Coach Cross but he didnít succeed at Ready.
Old 12-13-18, 04:46 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
You're all going to be surprised who gets this job. I know you will be happy if it happens. Real Happy!
Old 12-14-18, 09:23 AM
All Region

Any ideas on who might apply?
Old 12-14-18, 10:33 AM
Junior Varsity

DCap113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
You're all going to be surprised who gets this job. I know you will be happy if it happens. Real Happy!
Clearly you know something. Care to share?
Old 12-14-18, 11:33 AM
Freshman

BuckeyeVolleyball is on a distinguished road
Who will make the call on this hire? Will it be the principal and ad or will it be the president of Ready?
Ready has not be a major factor in the play-offs since Wolf resigned. Cutler did a good job but was only there to get Head Coaching experience, so he could take a bigger job.
Yes they had a good play-off run with Cutler but not as good as a run as Wolf had.
Could be interesting.
Any alumni coaches out there that would be a good fit?
Old 12-14-18, 11:42 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeVolleyball View Post
Who will make the call on this hire? Will it be the principal and ad or will it be the president of Ready?
Ready has not be a major factor in the play-offs since Wolf resigned. Cutler did a good job but was only there to get Head Coaching experience, so he could take a bigger job.
Yes they had a good play-off run with Cutler but not as good as a run as Wolf had.
Could be interesting.
Any alumni coaches out there that would be a good fit?
Cutler took Ready to the State Final Four and was a field goal away from the State Championship game. That is as far as Wolf ever took Ready, but I would agree that maybe Wolf's name is more well known in the Ready circle for his commitment to the program.

Last edited by ReadyKnightsFan; 12-14-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 12:08 PM
All American

This really has less to do with playoff stuff, and more to do with the fact that a school with Division VI enrollment is embarrassed to have a rougher go in the MSL than they anticipated.

Ready is going through the same thing Newark Catholic is: they’re the smallest fishes in their respective ponds, and both schools are so prideful of their “punching above their weight” ethos that, when they’re winning they’ll stand behind the coach but when they go through a one-or-two year spell of losing the same coach will be put on a rail to be ran out on.

Ready is right where they belong with football. Cutler was a great coach, but neither Akili Taylor not Devin Dukes are strapping up for Ready again. Probably not going to have another lineman going to Ohio State anytime soon. And that’s OK. It’s good to have high standards, but Ready needs to pamper their expectations a little bit. West side grit is a staple of Ready football, but they need more than just toughness to be where they want to be.
Old 12-14-18, 01:12 PM
Freshman

BuckeyeVolleyball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Cutler took Ready to the State Final Four and was a field goal away from the State Championship game. That is as far as Wolf ever took Ready, but I would agree that maybe Wolf's name is more well known in the Ready circle for his commitment to the program.
I am not saying Cutler is a bad coach, thought he did a great job at Ready, but he was there for only a short time because he wanted to be at a Bigger School. I think if he stayed longer he could have made play-off runs like Wolf did.
If he does come back to Ready, would he leave again for another big job, would be the question.
Ready needs to hire a coach that would not leave at the drop of a hat. They need someone like Coach Burchfield at Hartley. Someone that would reload and not be ran out by the President.
Ready is a hard school to coach at. How many of their Head Coaches actually teach there, Lang is the only one that comes to mind.
The only sports that win at Ready and who have had any success on a regular bases are Softball, Volleyball since Kusan came back, and Girls Basketball. Boys Basketball, just got good a year ago.

Wrestling is no longer a powerhouse, Baseball is very bad, and Football is declining.
Hopefully the new Principal can make all sports great again, but with the President watching his every move I don't see it. This is why the kids on the boarder of Hartley and Ready choose Hartley. Principal is great and their sports programs are all well coached and produce.
Old 12-14-18, 02:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeVolleyball View Post
I am not saying Cutler is a bad coach, thought he did a great job at Ready, but he was there for only a short time because he wanted to be at a Bigger School. I think if he stayed longer he could have made play-off runs like Wolf did.
If he does come back to Ready, would he leave again for another big job, would be the question.
Ready needs to hire a coach that would not leave at the drop of a hat. They need someone like Coach Burchfield at Hartley. Someone that would reload and not be ran out by the President.
Ready is a hard school to coach at. How many of their Head Coaches actually teach there, Lang is the only one that comes to mind.
The only sports that win at Ready and who have had any success on a regular bases are Softball, Volleyball since Kusan came back, and Girls Basketball. Boys Basketball, just got good a year ago.

Wrestling is no longer a powerhouse, Baseball is very bad, and Football is declining.
Hopefully the new Principal can make all sports great again, but with the President watching his every move I don't see it. This is why the kids on the boarder of Hartley and Ready choose Hartley. Principal is great and their sports programs are all well coached and produce.
No Catholic school in the Diocese of Columbus is getting a good, committed football coach who will last long there unless they have a job in the building and a comfortable living situation. This is a huge obstacle, not the least compounded by the fact that the Diocese of Columbus, as a district, pays teachers very poorly and their pension plans are practically useless. Even coaches who are graduates of the Diocese, guys who are devout Catholics, especially in the ‘gen X/millenial’ category have left their jobs at Catholic schools and instead entered into public education because of the simple fact that’s where a livable salary is being paid (Bill Franks and Tony Hurps, for football and Joe Bills in basketball all instantly come to mind here as recent examples.)

What’s the deal with Ready having putrid baseball and boys soccer programs? Obviously football and basketball are bigger “pull” sports for prospective ninth graders when looking at high schools, but baseball and soccer matter as well.

Ready is under a president-principal model, eh? How long has this been the case? Those models have been tried at other schools in the Diocese, and they end up crashing and burning. EDIT: just looked at the Ready website. That’s who the president is? Isn’t she the principal a few years ago that is entirely against a football stadium? If this is who I think it is, she’s been lamented about before on here and the Huddle.

Last edited by The Dock; 12-14-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 05:19 PM
Junior Varsity

This is the first year for the President/Principal model. Speaking of baseball they might not be playing any home games because the field is in such bad shape. There is no busing to away games (not sure if this is commonplace for HS baseball). Numbers are so low they wonít have a freshman team and they might not have JV as well.
Old 12-15-18, 08:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJect View Post
This is the first year for the President/Principal model. Speaking of baseball they might not be playing any home games because the field is in such bad shape. There is no busing to away games (not sure if this is commonplace for HS baseball). Numbers are so low they wonít have a freshman team and they might not have JV as well.
The president-principal model has been experimented elsewhere in the Diocese. Itís not a good arrangement in the first place, because of issues that arise between power-sharing and who ultimately wants to be ďthe boss.Ē Itís especially not a good arrangement for small Catholic schools, which I think Ready probably fits the bill of. Plus, they generate great optics issues when it comes to transparency in administrative decision-making. Not too mention itís just an expensive, needless model.

Most Diocesan schools that are Readyís size or smaller donít have busing for any sports except football. Remember, Bishop Campbell says that not a dime of school money, including money donated to the school, can be used for sports equipment or transportation. It has to be privately raised and allocated for the very purpose of such; although the schools are allowed to fundraisers for the specific purpose of athletic program money.
Old 12-18-18, 08:41 AM
All Region

Is there any word? When is the application deadline?
Old 12-18-18, 10:52 AM
All American

Whizzer King is on a distinguished road
The name I keep hearing is Urban Meyer
Old 01-04-19, 07:32 AM
All Region

Still no word on this opening?