Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-09-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
McKinley’s NFL players.

https://cantonmckinley.com/just-the-...ckinley-alumni

Tough to say the 04 Comerain team is better than the. 97 Bulldog team. In my opinion they are the two best ever. Tough to say one is better than the other. But McK beating that Iggy team twice has to mean something. I don’t think Colerain played anyone as good as that Iggy team.

Thanks. A very impressive list of pro players.
Old 12-09-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
McKinley’s NFL players.

https://cantonmckinley.com/just-the-...ckinley-alumni

Tough to say the 04 Comerain team is better than the. 97 Bulldog team. In my opinion they are the two best ever. Tough to say one is better than the other. But McK beating that Iggy team twice has to mean something. I don’t think Colerain played anyone as good as that Iggy team.
Canton McKinley sent 25 players on to the NFL! over the years, and is a closed enrollment public in a small city. Amazing!

Last edited by JJBulldog; 12-09-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
Canton McKinley sent 25 players on to the NFL!over the years, and is a closed enrollment public in a small city. Amazing!

Open enrollment has only existed in Ohio for 20-25 years.
Old 12-09-18, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Canton McKinley sent 25 players on to the NFL! over the years, and is a closed enrollment public in a small city. Amazing!

FYI. The Massillon Washington football program has produced 30 alumni that participated in pro football.
Old 12-09-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Tough to say the 04 Comerain team is better than the. 97 Bulldog team.
No it isn't.
Old 12-09-18, 05:38 PM
All Ohio

Canton McKinley actually had 30 kids go on to play Pro Football over the years!
Old 12-10-18, 03:26 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I dont recognize poll titles that weren't won on the field.
Outstanding.
Old 12-10-18, 05:37 PM
All Ohio

Game of the Century- #4 in the Nation Cleveland St. Ignatius vs #1 in the Nation Canton McKinley @ Fawcett Stadium 1997

Both teams were 8-0 heading into the contest. St. Ignatius had won 5 of the last 6 D1 State Playoff Championships and Head Coach Chuck Kyle's team was loaded with 2 future NFL players lineman LeCharles Bentley and quarterback Dave Ragone, along with All-Ohio middle linebacker Chris Haneline, Joe Gonzales, the best kicking team in the state, and a cast of typically good Wildcats. They were ranked #1 in Ohio going into this game.

Canton McKinley's team, also 8-0 going into this game, were led by 3 future NFL players Mike Doss (Colts), Jamar Martin (Cowboys), and Kenny Peterson (Packers), along with D1 quarterback Ben McDaniels (younger brother of the New England Super Bowl offensive coordinator and former HC of the Denver Broncos, ex- McKinley qb Josh McDaniels), and son of HC Thom McDaniels. The rest of the team was loaded with D1 and college talent galore.

This game was played to a sellout crowd of 22,000 and an overflowing press box of 200 reporters from all over the country.

Old 12-10-18, 05:44 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Game of the Century- #4 in the Nation Cleveland St. Ignatius vs #1 in the Nation Canton McKinley @ Fawcett Stadium 1997

Both teams were 8-0 heading into the contest. St. Ignatius had won 5 of the last 6 D1 State Playoff Championships and Head Coach Chuck Kyle's team was loaded with 2 future NFL players lineman LeCharles Bentley and quarterback Dave Ragone, along with All-Ohio middle linebacker Chris Haneline, Joe Gonzales, the best kicking team in the state, and a cast of typically good Wildcats. They were ranked #1 in Ohio going into this game.

Canton McKinley's team, also 8-0 going into this game, were led by 3 future NFL players Mike Doss (Colts), Jamar Martin (Cowboys), and Kenny Peterson (Packers), along with D1 quarterback Ben McDaniels (younger brother of the New England Super Bowl offensive coordinator and former HC of the Denver Broncos, ex- McKinley qb Josh McDaniels), and son of HC Thom McDaniels. The rest of the team was loaded with D1 and college talent galore.

This game was played to a sellout crowd of 22,000 and an overflowing press box of 200 reporters from all over the country.

An amazing atmosphere with two great teams. After the game McDaniels said "If we're one, they're 1A." I was very confident going into the rematch because it's so difficult to beat a great team twice-- and that 97 Ignatius team was great.

McKinley was just a little better on that cold night in Akron.
Old 12-10-18, 05:44 PM
All Ohio

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Maybe the greatest matchup in state history. And it happened twice that year.
Old 12-10-18, 05:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCat View Post
An amazing atmosphere with two great teams. After the game McDaniels said "If we're one, they're 1A." I was very confident going into the rematch because it's so difficult to beat a great team twice-- and that 97 Ignatius team was great.

McKinley was just a little better on that cold night in Akron.
I agree. St. Ignatius was National Champion 1A that year imho.
Old 12-10-18, 05:49 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
That 97 Ignatius team crushed Berwick, Lake Catholic, and others that season.

Lecharles Bentley's matchups with Kenny Peterson were epic.

Always have so much respect for the Bulldogs
Old 12-10-18, 05:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCat View Post
That 97 Ignatius team crushed Berwick, Lake Catholic, and others that season.

Lecharles Bentley's matchups with Kenny Peterson were epic.

Always have so much respect for the Bulldogs
Coming from a St.Ignatius person, that is the greatest compliment in the world.
Old 12-10-18, 06:37 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Lots of cheers that night in Canton... Visit by the Goodyear Blimp...
and the entire stadium giving a roar as the PA would give updates of
the Indians World Series game.

:>---

SALT
Old 12-11-18, 07:40 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
JJ Bulldog, do you recognize poll titles that aren't won on the field?
Old 12-11-18, 08:50 AM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking the inflated # 6 ranking of the 1988 Dallas Carter team is based on the fame from the Friday Night Lights movie and the ESPN 30 for 30 piece.

Here is an interesting quote from this article:

"The only close game they played all year was against the legendary Odessa Permian."

The only close game that year ? Did this person not look at the results?

I see these 4 in addition to the close Permian win.

25 to 24 over Killeen
24 to 24 tie with Duncanville
22 to 18 over Marshall
7 to 0 over DeSoto.

Do these people read what they put out there ?
Old 12-11-18, 11:18 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Who is considered the best pro player to graduate from Massillon?
Old 12-11-18, 12:28 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
I sometimes think they put too much emphasis on how many went to the pros. For me I don't know how the 2004 Colerain team is not in the top 10. They averaged 46.3 points per game while giving up 6.5 and in the state final fumbled away the ball three times early in the game but still scored 50 points.
Old 12-11-18, 12:38 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Tough to say the 04 Comerain team is better than the. 97 Bulldog team.
Saying that comes pretty easily to me.
Old 12-11-18, 07:21 PM
All Ohio

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
I sometimes think they put too much emphasis on how many went to the pros. For me I don't know how the 2004 Colerain team is not in the top 10. They averaged 46.3 points per game while giving up 6.5 and in the state final fumbled away the ball three times early in the game but still scored 50 points.
That’s true, but they were also playing against a 3 loss surprise finalist in mcKinley who lost their best defensive player a few minutes into the game.
Old 12-11-18, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
My favorite thing about Odessa Permian is that they probably make Faust, Moore, Hoban etc look tame in comparison. Widely known fact that if your son was good and you needed a job Permian was the place for you. That oil money bought a lot of good football players
Old 12-11-18, 07:44 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
??? Maxie? Ts1960? Anyone?
Old 12-11-18, 08:00 PM
All District

AkronNative
I was born in the late 79, So I didn't see the old Moeller teams but I have heard they were great. I however did see McK 97, and there is no way in hell that if matched up in an actual game they beat Mck 97. And yes, I seen Colerain play that year twice and they were all time great. That McKinley team beat a Nationally rated top 5 team twice, plus another Nationally ranked opponent to win the title. On top of the other quality opponents in the regular season and playoffs. Colerain played an overachieving Bulldog team who lost 4 games that year. On paper they should have lost to Glenville in the Semifinals. Glenville actually would have been the better match up for Colerain and imo would have given them problems. There is no way they are overpowering Mck 97 like they did Mck 04. But I'm sure there will be alot of opnions(mainly southern Ohio folks) that differ from mines, which is fine but IMHO that is how I see it.
Old 12-11-18, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Good list but they lose some credibility when they confuse McKinley's schedule and St. Thomas Aquinas....McKinley beat St. Thomas 70 to 0 that year...Louisville not Florida
If they had beaten Louisville Trinity, that would mean something.
Old 12-11-18, 08:09 PM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
For none of those fabulous Moeller teams of the mid to late 70’s to be left of that list diminishes the credibility of the list. Those teams were far superior to anything the rest of the country had to offer. They were the epitome of a football Machine.
Old 12-11-18, 09:16 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
In my book, Tommy Hannon or Steve Luke.
Old 12-12-18, 08:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
When the game was 36-10 in the fourth quarter, McKinley coach Cross emptied the bench because at that point his Cinderella team didn't have the horses to compete. Colerain's coach left his first team in to run up the score. McKinley finished 3rd in the Federal league that year, and lost at home to Fitch 22-0 without crossing the 50 the entire game. They also lost at home to Marion Harding, finishing the year with 4 losses. In essence, Colerain faced no one nationally ranked like '97 McKinley did (twice), and their schedule was weak and the state was down talent-wise. Its easy for an outstanding team such as them to wrack up points against schools having down years. Also, they weren't a national champion, either, because in part, of their weak schedule. A weak McKinley team with only one D1 player made Colerain cough up the ball their first 3 possessions. The '97 team would have beaten them no problem, because Cards were one dimensional and we had 3 NFL guys on defense.
Old 12-12-18, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
When the game was 36-10 in the fourth quarter, McKinley coach Cross emptied the bench because at that point his Cinderella team didn't have the horses to compete. Colerain's coach left his first team in to run up the score. McKinley finished 3rd in the Federal league that year, and lost at home to Fitch 22-0 without crossing the 50 the entire game. They also lost at home to Marion Harding, finishing the year with 4 losses. In essence, Colerain faced no one nationally ranked like '97 McKinley did (twice), and their schedule was weak and the state was down talent-wise. Its easy for an outstanding team such as them to wrack up points against schools having down years. Also, they weren't a national champion, either, because in part, of their weak schedule. A weak McKinley team with only one D1 player made Colerain cough up the ball their first 3 possessions. The '97 team would have beaten them no problem, because Cards were one dimensional and we had 3 NFL guys on defense.
Old 12-12-18, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
National championships dont exist in HSFB. Must be settled on thenfield for a true national champion. And judging by how you dont count Massillon paper titles this shouldnt be an issue for you and I know we are in agreement that McKinley has zero national titles
Old 12-12-18, 08:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronNative View Post
I was born in the late 79, So I didn't see the old Moeller teams but I have heard they were great. I however did see McK 97, and there is no way in hell that if matched up in an actual game they beat Mck 97. And yes, I seen Colerain play that year twice and they were all time great. That McKinley team beat a Nationally rated top 5 team twice, plus another Nationally ranked opponent to win the title. On top of the other quality opponents in the regular season and playoffs. Colerain played an overachieving Bulldog team who lost 4 games that year. On paper they should have lost to Glenville in the Semifinals. Glenville actually would have been the better match up for Colerain and imo would have given them problems. There is no way they are overpowering Mck 97 like they did Mck 04. But I'm sure there will be alot of opnions(mainly southern Ohio folks) that differ from mines, which is fine but IMHO that is how I see it.
I agree. Also, the '97 McKinley team was much faster than the old Moeller teams 20 years before, and physically much stronger. The 97 team could still beat the champs of today because of their size, strength, speed and talent. The 70s Moeller teams would get killed by the big lines and speed of modern players. I agree with '97 McKinley as all-time Ohio's best based upon winning three games against nationally ranked opponents. The detractors on this thread are mostly butt hurt radical fans of the also -rans.