Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-14-18, 11:28 AM
Freshman

Warrior95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
WB is D3 in football and I am not bashing other programs but the EBC has 4 D4 schools that aren't winning many games for L2 points. 2 of their OOC games were vs D4 schools and one OOC vs a D5 and one OOC vs a D3

What does this tell me? One thing is that they are not playing "up" in any week meaning a D1 or 2 school and have only 3 D3 games

IF a school is going to have the majority of games on a schedule with schools that are in a lower division then they better beat them and then those teams have to win games.

This follows the rhetoric about their league decision that was discussed before which was what do the EBC D3 schools gain by stepping away from another D3?
Why this change of leadership is good is because when we played the playoff teams from our region Alliance, Marlington and West Holmes we were severely out coached. Offensive philosophy vs. Alliance, turnover in Marlington game could have been prevented by coaching decision and the West Holmes games was a schooling. Excited to see the new direction of the program...
Old 12-15-18, 08:57 PM
All Ohio

warriordad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I like West Branch and I don't know Dota. But I think you WB folks need to relax and see who Dota's replacement will be. From an outsider's perspective I think WB underachieved during Dota's tenure so this move was not a shock to many of us on the outside looking in.

Hillyer can transfer and may not be a QB at whatever school he goes to. He may want to stay at WB if he wants to be a QB.. I AM NOT SLAMMING THE KID - I THINK HE IS A GOOD PLAYER! He looked pretty good the 3 times I saw WB play but nothing spectacular. I don't think he would have started at Alliance, Marlington or Salem. If Minerva puts the right kid at QB it would be a challenge for him to start there too. Could he have been better had they let him throw a little more? I would say yes. I think West Branch is a really good fit for Hillyer and leaving would be a big mistake. He would help any program but maybe not as a QB.

McKeiver is the real thing. that kid can fly and perhaps he was way under utilized by Dota and his staff? He probably could have had some big numbers had they turned him loose.

So if I were Hillyer and McKeiver I would be excited for the change. Those 2 can probably be a pretty good combo in the next 2 years.

It seems like Dota was well liked by his players and it's hard to lose a guy like that, but I have a feeling WB will be ok..
Great post....
Old 12-15-18, 09:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Wasn't WB a D4 school last year ... maybe the year before?
No...but they would be if it wasn't for competitive balance.
Old 12-16-18, 11:00 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Competitive balance is not an excuse you can use, you would be one of the biggest D4 teams without competitive balance, but if you take the kids who came in from open enrollment, you would have a 3-7 team regardless of division, so competitive balance matters for everyone not just the schools people complain about
Old 12-16-18, 11:32 PM
Freshman

Donny_Swaggins91 is on a distinguished road
Nick Saban couldnít resurrect this program
Old 12-17-18, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Competitive balance is not an excuse you can use, you would be one of the biggest D4 teams without competitive balance, but if you take the kids who came in from open enrollment, you would have a 3-7 team regardless of division, so competitive balance matters for everyone not just the schools people complain about
Didn't know i was complaining. 3-7 LOL
Old 12-17-18, 11:28 AM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
WB would have finished 14th in D4 Region 13, they weren't close.. I think they need to worry about consistently competing in the EBC. the last time they were D4 was 2016 and still finished 16th. It certainly would be nice for them to be D4 but until they can consistently compete with Alliance and Marlinton, it really won't matter.

I really believe the West Branch can draw some good candidates. Again, I am not close to the situation but I think WB will be just fine. I am really curious to see what direction this decide to go.
Old 12-17-18, 04:29 PM
All Region

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WB would have finished 14th in D4 Region 13, they weren't close.. I think they need to worry about consistently competing in the EBC. the last time they were D4 was 2016 and still finished 16th. It certainly would be nice for them to be D4 but until they can consistently compete with Alliance and Marlinton, it really won't matter.

I really believe the West Branch can draw some good candidates. Again, I am not close to the situation but I think WB will be just fine. I am really curious to see what direction this decide to go.
I feel I have to say this again .
It’s not just Dota the program lost, 5 other members of the staff have quit as well .
There are Zero teaching positions open and no other qualified teachers/coaches to fill staff positions at West branch .
The board/ Saxton wanted rid of one fish and managed to Drain the entire lake. Perhaps they think the band director is qualified .Seems that and the drama club is all they really care about .This is want happens when you have unqualified people shaping the future of something they know absolutely nothing about . Also heard our best linemen ( Craig )could be relocating.Couple that with the high probability of losing 4 talented Dota loyals and the 3-7 that was mentioned in an early post could be a reality ,I fear it could be worse .

Last edited by warrior333; 12-17-18 at 05:15 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-17-18, 07:50 PM
All World

3-7 could have been realistic without open enrollment am I wrong? Weren’t most of the skill from open enrollment?
Old 12-18-18, 01:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
3-7 could have been realistic without open enrollment am I wrong? Werenít most of the skill from open enrollment?
I would have to say your not wrong , but those said players have been in the warrior program for quite some time most 5-7 years .
Old 12-18-18, 03:56 AM
All World

I understand that, but to the point they should be d4 is still wrong because without open enrollment they wouldn’t be there, so competitive balance applies, you can’t pick and choose who it applies to, mainly Ursuline and mooney are the teams that most people complain about in then Youngstown area
Old 12-18-18, 03:58 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
Itís not just Dota the program lost, 5 other members of the staff have quit as well .
There are Zero teaching positions open and no other qualified teachers/coaches to fill staff positions at West branch .
The board/ Saxton wanted rid of one fish and managed to Drain the entire lake. Perhaps they think the band director is qualified .Seems that and the drama club is all they really care about .This is want happens when you have unqualified people shaping the future of something they know absolutely nothing about . Also heard our best linemen ( Craig )could be relocating.Couple that with the high probability of losing 4 talented Dota loyals and the 3-7 that was mentioned in an early post could be a reality ,I fear it could be worse .
Question is, was it worth losing all the assistants? I would say no unless the new guy already has a staff assembled
Old 12-18-18, 09:06 AM
All Region

Quote:
I understand that, but to the point they should be d4 is still wrong because without open enrollment they wouldnít be there, so competitive balance applies, you canít pick and choose who it applies to, mainly Ursuline and mooney are the teams that most people complain about in then Youngstown area
Agree totally, Iíve not disputing the competitive balance rule at all . I have posted in the past divisions 2-6 to me can be totally deceiving ,Itís all about the Jimmyís and the Joeís on those teams and the structure of the program .
Take Kirkland smaller division school and would probably run the table in a lot of local conferences .
Old 12-18-18, 09:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
Itís not just Dota the program lost, 5 other members of the staff have quit as well .
Interesting insight Warrior333. I've always admired WB's program and their fans. I really hope this works out, the kids stay and the program get's back to the Jim Laut days.
Old 12-18-18, 10:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Question is, was it worth losing all the assistants? I would say no unless the new guy already has a staff assembled
I would say its safe to assume the decision and It’s repercussions were not thought threw . Reminds me of a couple good old boys walking out of the barn an deciding to take a piss on the electric fence , then going dam that’s not what I expected . It’s one thing to replace your head coach ,It’s a whole different ball game to replace the entire staff.

Last edited by warrior333; 12-18-18 at 11:21 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-18-18, 03:07 PM
All District

Louis is on a distinguished road
Dota has a sub 500 winning % in 8 years, it's time for a change at WB, he had his chance. Next. He was hired to bring back the winning tradition and he failed. WB getting soft like everyone else and settling for mediocrity. What use to be a powerhouse football team is not even an average football team. If kids wanna transfer because of a coaching change then so be it. Pouting will get you nowhere. And that tells you a lot about their loyalty. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. Ask Mounts backup QB that transferred.

I'm sure Sharp might be the next coach, if he wants it.
Old 12-18-18, 03:15 PM
All District

Quote:

Agreed
Need to get back to the winning ways. Montgomery has resurrected their basketball program that was in shambles and their wrestling team looks to be coming back also.
Old 12-18-18, 03:27 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Agreed
Need to get back to the winning ways. Montgomery has resurrected their basketball program that was in shambles and their wrestling team looks to be coming back also.
Montgonery is next in line on the chopping block , I was told only 16 kids on the roster 9th-12th and zero freshman team .Resurection looks more like a execution !
Old 12-18-18, 03:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Montgonery is next in line on the chopping block , I was told only 16 kids on the roster 9th-12th and zero freshman team .Resurection looks more like a execution !
Well Warrior, I saw WB play Minerva Friday. I only saw 1 senior get significant PT. They are young and loaded!! likely to win the EBC this year and should be favored next year. I can't see Montgomery going anywhere. I know this is for the basketball forum but if a kid wants to play basketball enough, he will play for the coach who is in place.

If a kid "bleeds green" in this case, he will be hitting the weights and eager to meet the new football coach. If a kid wants to leave (more like father want him to leave) then he most not "bleed green" so good bye and good luck at your new school!!

West Branch will survive..
Old 12-18-18, 04:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Well Warrior, I saw WB play Minerva Friday. I only saw 1 senior get significant PT. They are young and loaded!! likely to win the EBC this year and should be favored next year. I can't see Montgomery going anywhere. I know this is for the basketball forum but if a kid wants to play basketball enough, he will play for the coach who is in place.

If a kid "bleeds green" in this case, he will be hitting the weights and eager to meet the new football coach. If a kid wants to leave (more like father want him to leave) then he most not "bleed green" so good bye and good luck at your new school!!

West Branch will survive..
So if a kid wants to play football enough then he'll play for a coach ( good or bad ) is what your saying . Then where are Minerva's numbers ?
You sure seen to have peculiar passion and interest in Wb football for a guy who list his favorite school as Minerva . What color do they tend to bleed over there ? Perhaps your family member should join the warrior program . I would hope the young men looking to relocate would make the decision as a family . As for the weight room I know of only 6 young men lifting twice a day and none of them is the young man you tend to often praise .
Old 12-18-18, 04:56 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So if a kid wants to play football enough then he'll play for a coach ( good or bad ) is what your saying . Then where are Minerva's numbers ?

You sure seen to have peculiar passion and interest in Wb football for a guy who list his favorite school as Minerva . What color do they tend to bleed over there ? Perhaps your family member should join the warrior program . I would hope the young men looking to relocate would make the decision as a family . As for the weight room I know of only 6 young men lifting twice a day and none of them is the young man you tend to often praise .

We have our own thread to bash Minerva- I would hate to see any school go down the path we are in!! I personally completely understand why some WB fans are worried. You never know what you are going to get. I hope you guys have a good search and upgrade from Dota. Only time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-18, 05:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Sorry you took my post wrong. I just think WB will land on it's feet. I think you have kids that will be ready to play football in 2019. I think you have a nice core, not as nice as Alliance but from the outside, this just seems like a good move.

I have no family members currently playing any sports in Minerva, my kids are too old and grandkids are too young and are not in the Minerva SD. I have been a fan of the NBC/EBC since the NBC started. I have said many times that i admire WB and the passion their fans have. I went so see your girls play in the softball state championship game and the following was incredible. I saw many WB games for various sports of the years, as i have alliance, Marlington, Louisville, etc...

What exactly does this mean " As for the weight room I know of only 6 young men lifting twice a day and none of them is the young man you tend to often praise"
Old 12-18-18, 06:34 PM
All World

Numbers should be a lot higher. Under 25 is usually a disappointment for me
Old 12-18-18, 07:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
We have our own thread to bash Minerva- I would hate to see any school go down the path we are in!! I personally completely understand why some WB fans are worried. You never know what you are going to get. I hope you guys have a good search and upgrade from Dota. Only time will tell

No punt or bashing intended on Minerva from me . I live under 10 miles away from down town and have a lot of passion for their hometown pride . My relation and newphew played on the team with Powell and wood. I spent many of Friday nights in the Lions den
Old 12-18-18, 07:24 PM
All Region

Quote:
Sorry you took my post wrong. I just think WB will land on it's feet. I think you have kids that will be ready to play football in 2019. I think you have a nice core, not as nice as Alliance but from the outside, this just seems like a good move.

I have no family members currently playing any sports in Minerva, my kids are too old and grandkids are too young and are not in the Minerva SD. I have been a fan of the NBC/EBC since the NBC started. I have said many times that i admire WB and the passion their fans have. I went so see your girls play in the softball state championship game and the following was incredible. I saw many WB games for various sports of the years, as i have alliance, Marlington, Louisville, etc...

What exactly does this mean " As for the weight room I know of only 6 young men lifting twice a day and none of them is the young man you tend to often praise"
With My weight room comment I was trying to express my disappointment with the low numbers showing up .A lot is probably due to the uncertainty . 2 of those six are ones potentially leaving An the kid that has great speed and needs to bulk up isnít showing , so itís dishearting .
Old 12-18-18, 08:02 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With My weight room comment I was trying to express my disappointment with the low numbers showing up .A lot is probably due to the uncertainty . 2 of those six are ones potentially leaving An the kid that has great speed and needs to bulk up isnít showing , so itís dishearting .

Understandable - need to name a coach to get some stabilityó it sounds like the assistants have uncertainty too.

Old 12-19-18, 10:40 AM
All Region

Quote:
Warrior333 - I do have a peculiar interest in all of the EBC teams. Believe it or not I really do have a life!! I have been a fan of the league since it started. I did have family members playing at Minerva in the 90s. One of my good friends who has kids in Minerva is a WB grad and we talk a lot about the Jim Laut and Harztell (?) days and how important football was to that community. I saw that passion during the 90s at WB, saw the same passion with your great girls basketball and softball teams. Not a peculiar passion for WB, just a lot of respect for the fan support when your teams..

Also, we are having the same sort of issues with lifting and off season training at Minerva. We do have a lot of multi-sport athletes that get their work in, but only 4 or 5 show up to winter lifts for football. Kids in Minerva just don't want to play football. Every year the numbers get worse, every year we lose upper classmen. Our program hit rock bottom with nowhere to go but up. We need a coach that will bring the passion back.. I think WB is at a crossroads and if they make the right hire your program will take off. Minerva and WB are at different place. 6-4 wasn't good enough for WB and 6-4 may get us a parade in Minerva!!!!!

Anyway, if your are one of the families that are considering moving your son, good luck and I hope it works out..
Old 12-19-18, 10:41 AM
All District

[QUOTE=NBC 1988;7214625]Well Warrior, I saw WB play Minerva Friday. I only saw 1 senior get significant PT. They are young and loaded!! likely to win the EBC this year and should be favored next year. I can't see Montgomery going anywhere. I know this is for the basketball forum but if a kid wants to play basketball enough, he will play for the coach who is in place.

West Branch will survive..[/QUOTE

Exactly!!
Old 12-19-18, 10:46 AM
All District

Quote:
If the Craig kid leaves then that would be pretty stupid on his part since he will be a sr i believe. As far as the weight room.....laziness & not dedicated
Old 12-19-18, 01:58 PM
All Region

3sport is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If the Craig kid leaves then that would be pretty stupid on his part since he will be a sr i believe. As far as the weight room.....laziness & not dedicated

dedicated to what? a program without a head coach, any assistants, or a direction of what's next?