Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-18-18, 02:33 PM
Freshman

ShooterMcgavin is on a distinguished road
Its a shame you have some guys on here bashing a young kid. Patton is in the top 10 to ever play at LM hands down. I'm sure the SWOC coaches were pleased to see the Patton kid on the offensive sideline this year.

I believe the Pastor said 31 times in the first half not the total for a game.

Last edited by ShooterMcgavin; 12-18-18 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 03:44 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen one person bash the young man.
Old 12-18-18, 03:48 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
1) I don't think anyone is really bashing the KID. To point out that based on size (and maybe speed) does not make him a scholarship kid which is what some have done.
2) OHSAA record for carries in a GAME is 61 (2004 kid from Fairmont vs Springfield South) and qualified to state as a wrestler later that year) and he was not a scholarship kid.
3)Can this be done and move onto what has to happen for HAMILTON.
Old 12-18-18, 04:01 PM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Anybody know how many carries the Bainum kid from Williamsburg had in the early 2000's. I would be willing to bet close to 500. I know we scrimmaged them when I was coaching and in a 60 play SCRIMMAGE he carried the ball 57 times.
Old 12-18-18, 04:06 PM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Banium would carry it 50-60 times per game and played for a HOF coach.
Old 12-18-18, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcgavin View Post
Its a shame you have some guys on here bashing a young kid. Patton is in the top 10 to ever play at LM hands down. I'm sure the SWOC coaches were pleased to see the Patton kid on the offensive sideline this year.

I believe the Pastor said 31 times in the first half not the total for a game.

Sorry, the credibility of anyone that gets on here and backs up ole PT on their first post is zero.

How many accounts has he created to produce support for his arguments?

I know of at least two......
Old 12-18-18, 06:03 PM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
Sorry, the credibility of anyone that gets on here and backs up ole PT on their first post is zero.

How many accounts has he created to produce support for his arguments?

I know of at least two......
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
Old 12-18-18, 08:40 PM
Varsity

ptpattenpackerfan is on a distinguished road
Boy am I glad this past season is over. That any of you posters would suggest that having any back carry the ball 30, 40, 50 or 60 times a game is healthy is utterly ridiculous. That you attempt to justify such foolishness by pulling out State records or searching past players carry amounts is comical to say the least. As noted, our family's concern was re: 31 carries IN THE FIRST HALF of play. That is by all accounts RIDICULOUS no matter how any of you supposed football expert wanna-bees view it. Good coaches do NOT approach the game in such a fashion, nor put a young player at that type of risk of injury. Shame folks can't separate a father who loves his kid and wants what is best for him, and simply states what are the serious concerns and facts surrounding a circumstance, from the accusation of being meddlesome and a problem parent - or even as some have noted, "mentally unstable." But if that's what floats some people's own egos go for it. As far as getting back to the Hamilton matter, I only responded on this thread as one who went through the Mahon experience at LM, it being he is now Hamilton's new coach. The rest of the commentators decided to take the thread in the direction of vicious attacks of my person - a common theme for several posters. And yes, some of you folks (Pull-to-Trap) DID indeed malign the young man (my son) in previous attacks (calling him a "rag doll" of a weak player etc). Some of you guys need to get a life and realize that said life IS more than just about the X's and O's of football. There ARE real breathing people whose long-term lives are affected by those charged to teach and encourage their players. I stand by my stated concerns re: Coach Nate Mahon and his decision-making. Time to move on and let some of you crazy posters find someone else to malign. As for my son..., guess we'll just wait and see what the Lord has in store for him in his future. I am confident he will find success.
Old 12-18-18, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
After reading this hijacked thread I went back and watched the Winton Woods/Little Miami game. I was thinking I must had missed how good of a player this young man is.
Old 12-18-18, 09:02 PM
All American

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpattenpackerfan View Post
Boy am I glad this past season is over. That any of you posters would suggest that having any back carry the ball 30, 40, 50 or 60 times a game is healthy is utterly ridiculous. That you attempt to justify such foolishness by pulling out State records or searching past players carry amounts is comical to say the least. As noted, our family's concern was re: 31 carries IN THE FIRST HALF of play. That is by all accounts RIDICULOUS no matter how any of you supposed football expert wanna-bees view it. Good coaches do NOT approach the game in such a fashion, nor put a young player at that type of risk of injury. Shame folks can't separate a father who loves his kid and wants what is best for him, and simply states what are the serious concerns and facts surrounding a circumstance, from the accusation of being meddlesome and a problem parent - or even as some have noted, "mentally unstable." But if that's what floats some people's own egos go for it. As far as getting back to the Hamilton matter, I only responded on this thread as one who went through the Mahon experience at LM, it being he is now Hamilton's new coach. The rest of the commentators decided to take the thread in the direction of vicious attacks of my person - a common theme for several posters. And yes, some of you folks (Pull-to-Trap) DID indeed malign the young man (my son) in previous attacks (calling him a "rag doll" of a weak player etc). Some of you guys need to get a life and realize that said life IS more than just about the X's and O's of football. There ARE real breathing people whose long-term lives are affected by those charged to teach and encourage their players. I stand by my stated concerns re: Coach Nate Mahon and his decision-making. Time to move on and let some of you crazy posters find someone else to malign. As for my son..., guess we'll just wait and see what the Lord has in store for him in his future. I am confident he will find success.
I just canít fathom how 31 carries is an issue. But whatever. I only wish your son the best- heís a player and thereís no one here going to deny that. He isnít and wasnít at any point a D1 back IMO- but a solid NAIA/D3 player.
Old 12-18-18, 09:03 PM
Varsity

Well DonMagic, tough to see in that game - or any game Mahon called an offense for - but he did score the only offensive TD on the long pass at end of game. Made a pretty decent catch.
Old 12-18-18, 09:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Well DonMagic, tough to see in that game - or any game Mahon called an offense for - but he did score the only offensive TD on the long pass at end of game. Made a pretty decent catch.
A good (very good IMO) comparison to Luke is a young man named Seth Millar who played for Waynesville around 2009-2009. Probably the exact same size and skill set- he had a strong career at UPike.
Old 12-18-18, 09:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Banium would carry it 50-60 times per game and played for a HOF coach.
And “played” his college ball at Capital where I’m not sure he was ever a stud.
Old 12-18-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I usally look at if the opposing team has players that could play for Winton Woods and what position would they play for us. I came away thinking that the Jr offensive lineman would be the only player that would crack the Winton Woods lineman. The Blevins kid. I dont think thats your son. Are you the adopted dad of Dawson?
Old 12-18-18, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Nevermind. I figured it out. I took a look at your screen name, the LM roster and a previous thread. Why dont you take the conversation to the Little Miami thread. The Panthers are looking for a new coach right?
Old 12-18-18, 10:46 PM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
"Time to move on and let some of you crazy posters find someone else to malign"
Feel free to practice what you preach. I bring up a state record as a fact and I'm foolish. Not recommending it but I have yet to see a factual study re carries unlike pitch count in baseball. 40 in A GAME (not all year) is not unheard of and maybe not even unhealthy. OBVIOUSLY IT WAS FOR YOUR CHILD and you have expressed your views. You have an issue with Mahon and what he has done at LM. Everyone knows. Enjoy.
Old 12-18-18, 10:51 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You couldn't have been that worried about your son's long term well being if you had him continue to play for Mahon. If you were concerned you would've pulled him from the team ASAP.
Old 12-19-18, 03:16 AM
Varsity

Cincifan, I believe I relayed that to you personally in a PM. Senility maybe? After sophomore year I DID speak with coach re: carries for a kid my son's size etc. He made me "promise" to keep my son at the school and assured me changes would be made to "protect" him from injury (and NO, those changes did NOT include simply lowering his carry count to 3-5 carries a game!). He even went so far as to point out that one of the reasons he took the LM job was because he would have my son playing for him. Then the 31-carry first half debacle 2nd game of Junior season. Out for year. Coach knew I couldn't move my son out by then due to State rules that mandate a player transferring would be required to sit out 5 games - which would have been half his Senior season. Not that any of this makes any difference to the Yappi crowd whose sons did not experience such circumstances. OH, as for the "cramping issue..., we went to several medical professionals (including the Bengals' lead orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mark Galloway) and all agreed, if you make a player carry the ball in excess of 20 times in a half, the risk for "cramping up" does indeed vastly increase for the ball carrier - as does the risk of injury due to the weakening of physical strength. Even the college and professional medical people know this, as do the coaches. There are few backs that can handle such a load. And regarding college recruitment..., as I also relayed previously..., not a great concern for us as parents. as with our other children, we are most concerned with the academic side of college for our kids. Whether or not my son plays college football is NOT the issue here. How he was treated by a HS coach who has since taken the job at Hamilton HS is all I wished to point out.
Old 12-19-18, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
No senility here, you literally go against all of your atguments here. You could've moved him no problem and could've used one of the many qualifying reasons that you don't have to sit, happens all the time. Also, how else do you want a coach to "protect" your son other than lowering his carries. All you do is talk in circles, and when someone calls you out on it you say the opposite. And getting advice from Bengals medical staff, may as well talk to a witch doctor because Bengals medical staff is a joke and have more injuries than NFL average on a perennial basis.

Any dad truly worried about their son's health and worried that a coach was possibly harming his son would not have his son play for that coach, end of all discussion.

Now back to Hamiltucky, I mean Hamilton, I don't think Mahon has success here. It is not due to his coaching bit more to do with the community of Hamilton. They are just like Middletown, small town in a real bad spot and no coach is going to have them magically compete, too many factors outide Mahons control. Mahon saw some success when he played there, but those days are LONG, LONG gone.

Last edited by cincifbfan; 12-19-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 06:54 AM
Junior Varsity

Pantherdadof2 is on a distinguished road
He made me promise. Now that is funny.
Old 12-19-18, 08:05 AM
All District

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Now back to Hamiltucky, I mean Hamilton, I don't think Mahon has success here. It is not due to his coaching bit more to do with the community of Hamilton. They are just like Middletown, small town in a real bad spot and no coach is going to have them magically compete, too many factors outide Mahons control. Mahon saw some success when he played there, but those days are LONG, LONG gone.
Your assessment is correct. I think Mahon is a lot like Murphy and that maybe why there was hesitation by Hamilton initially. Mahon is a good coach and a good motivator. I don't think he is the offensive guru a lot of people think he is. His offense did lack some things. But he will have to motivate people to buy in who frankly have bigger issues on there plate besides football. At LM they lift every morning at 6 am in the off season and almost every kid including kids who are playing other sports show up to these liftings. Do you believe he will have that type of dedication at the program? As someone who who has familial connections in Hamilton and used to work there, I just don't see it. They do have some great athletes, probably better than LM...but is will be a hard sell if they do not come out of the gate and dominate and I don't think they will. Mahon I think views himself in the same light as the great Mignery who he played for. But those were different times and different kids.
Old 12-19-18, 08:10 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdadof2 View Post
He made me promise. Now that is funny.
and then there's the "other sports" issues........
Old 12-19-18, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

Hamilton is not quite as down athletically as Middletown is right now. But Mahon has to connect with the black community on the east side of Hamilton, particularly in the 2nd and 4th wards. From Front street over to Route 4, over by defunct Roosevelt Jr. High. Alot of hispanic families have moved in and black families have other options for athletics like Winton Woods, Fairfield even a couple at New Miami. The kids and parents are getting tired of losing.
Old 12-19-18, 08:37 AM
All Region

JetSweepAudible22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Hamilton is not quite as down athletically as Middletown is right now. But Mahon has to connect with the black community on the east side of Hamilton, particularly in the 2nd and 4th wards. From Front street over to Route 4, over by defunct Roosevelt Jr. High. Alot of hispanic families have moved in and black families have other options for athletics like Winton Woods, Fairfield even a couple at New Miami. The kids and parents are getting tired of losing.
This is the biggest thing...he has to keep those kids around. I think if you look at what Mahon has done as a head coach, he will schedule some cupcake games before the GMC and then hope to knock off Middletown, Oak Hills and another to get to 5-5 in year one. May or may not happen, but he's going to do whatever he can to build up the momentum.
Old 12-19-18, 09:06 AM
All District

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSweepAudible22 View Post
This is the biggest thing...he has to keep those kids around. I think if you look at what Mahon has done as a head coach, he will schedule some cupcake games before the GMC and then hope to knock off Middletown, Oak Hills and another to get to 5-5 in year one. May or may not happen, but he's going to do whatever he can to build up the momentum.
There wont be any cupcakes scheduled this year. I think they open against West Clermont and Anderson.

I could see a Hamilton/LM game in a couple years once they are part of the ECC
Old 01-11-19, 11:11 AM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Nate Mahon

Mahon digging into Hamilton football job: 'I don't feel it's a rebuild'

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...efmgljOTITfML/