Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-12-18, 09:48 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Mahon To Hamilton

Mahon returning to Hamilton 'a dream come true'

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...XWyYl1puM80rK/
Old 12-12-18, 09:50 PM
All District

Manmythlegeng66 is on a distinguished road
They are the people who know as much as him. Again LM will be fine. They have talent coming up from JV and Freshman levels. They have players to fill every hole. They have several options at running back and LB. There issue is O-line. That is where they might struggle. The JV and Freshman teams coming up won more than this senior class did at those levels. Last year JV lost 2 games with a patchwork oline and quarterback and running back hurt. Freshman lost one with starting qb out for the first couple games. They will be fine.
Old 12-12-18, 10:24 PM
Varsity

ptpattenpackerfan is on a distinguished road
Petedragon, the "real" people are those Mahon came to when he first arrived at LM in order to get a bead on who the players were in the LM system and how he could deal with the school board and administration/AD to get what he wanted. They are the people who have coached most of the players over the many years prior to Mahon arriving and knew where the talent was. They are the folks that consistently clamoured before the school board for new and improved coaching - replacing the absolute worst in the football program, which led to Mahon's hiring. They are the people who paved the way for Mahon to garner the success he had - whether through running interference before the administration/former AD, or providing positive PR for the program, providing much-needed and necessary weight room improvements, making preseason camps available, building outdoor platforms for practice field etc. The people - for the most part - Mahon chose to throw under the bus rather than respond in like kind to their efforts. Now he does what he does, use and move on! Just ask Delphine HS in Harrisburg PA, Northwest and now LM. Alot of fluff but little real substance. Hamilton will soon find that out. They'll get new uniforms every year and re-paint their helmets and find someone to provide a "tunnel" for the players to run through. But wait til they see the Mahon offense! Maybe he'll find another player to set a record in terms of carries per season as his predicatable, inefficient, non-creative offense gets another back - or two or three - beat up. But surely he'll lead the league, the region, the state in "f-bombs" (Can't say 2 sentences w/o at least one f-bomb!) and his players will follow suit - teaching them to become fine upstanding citizens of the Hamilton community! Pete, I bid you adieu!
Old 12-13-18, 05:21 AM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Sounds like these " real football" people should apply for the job since they are so knowledgeable about LM football. But then they couldn't be an armchair QB and bash the schedule and the coaching staff.
Old 12-13-18, 05:33 AM
All American

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpattenpackerfan View Post
Petedragon, the "real" people are those Mahon came to when he first arrived at LM in order to get a bead on who the players were in the LM system and how he could deal with the school board and administration/AD to get what he wanted. They are the people who have coached most of the players over the many years prior to Mahon arriving and knew where the talent was. They are the folks that consistently clamoured before the school board for new and improved coaching - replacing the absolute worst in the football program, which led to Mahon's hiring. They are the people who paved the way for Mahon to garner the success he had - whether through running interference before the administration/former AD, or providing positive PR for the program, providing much-needed and necessary weight room improvements, making preseason camps available, building outdoor platforms for practice field etc. The people - for the most part - Mahon chose to throw under the bus rather than respond in like kind to their efforts. Now he does what he does, use and move on! Just ask Delphine HS in Harrisburg PA, Northwest and now LM. Alot of fluff but little real substance. Hamilton will soon find that out. They'll get new uniforms every year and re-paint their helmets and find someone to provide a "tunnel" for the players to run through. But wait til they see the Mahon offense! Maybe he'll find another player to set a record in terms of carries per season as his predicatable, inefficient, non-creative offense gets another back - or two or three - beat up. But surely he'll lead the league, the region, the state in "f-bombs" (Can't say 2 sentences w/o at least one f-bomb!) and his players will follow suit - teaching them to become fine upstanding citizens of the Hamilton community! Pete, I bid you adieu!
You are the single most delusional, annoying person I’ve even seen post on Yappi (maybe even going back to the old JJ Huddle days) and I mean that wholeheartedly. You have no idea about “real” football. Quit crying and complaining. Coach Mahon helped start the turning of the ship at Little Miami and the time was right for him to return to his alma mater. Go away. Far far away and let the people trying to right the ship at LM do it without you pestering them.
Old 12-13-18, 07:56 AM
All Region

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Who are the "real football folks" at LM? Just curious.
Exactly! Are there any "real football folks" at LM?

Funny how a coach is praised all year long when the team's doing well, then some j-off has to start poppin off when he decides to leave. He took the LM job because it PAID! It just so happens that he had some success. The guy does know football!
Old 12-13-18, 08:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmythlegeng66 View Post
They are the people who know as much as him. Again LM will be fine. They have talent coming up from JV and Freshman levels. They have players to fill every hole. They have several options at running back and LB. There issue is O-line. That is where they might struggle. The JV and Freshman teams coming up won more than this senior class did at those levels. Last year JV lost 2 games with a patchwork oline and quarterback and running back hurt. Freshman lost one with starting qb out for the first couple games. They will be fine.
If LM was fine, why were they so irrelevant prior to him getting there? Shafer, Hubbards, Fahon, Herman and so on, couldn't get it done. Why now are the pieces in place?

Unless, YOU are the JV or Freshmen coach that now thinks YOU are the guy?

Freshmen and JV football doesn't translate to varsity. So much happens between those years, so you can stop with all your stats and records. Actual "FOOTBALL FOLKS" don't care about that!
Old 12-13-18, 08:03 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
You are the single most delusional, annoying person I’ve even seen post on Yappi (maybe even going back to the old JJ Huddle days) and I mean that wholeheartedly. You have no idea about “real” football. Quit crying and complaining. Coach Mahon helped start the turning of the ship at Little Miami and the time was right for him to return to his alma mater. Go away. Far far away and let the people trying to right the ship at LM do it without you pestering them.
Old 12-13-18, 08:28 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
If LM was fine, why were they so irrelevant prior to him getting there? Shafer, Hubbards, Fahon, Herman and so on, couldn't get it done. Why now are the pieces in place?

Freshmen and JV football doesn't translate to varsity. So much happens between those years, so you can stop with all your stats and records. Actual "FOOTBALL FOLKS" don't care about that!
Personally I saw almost every Freshman, JV, and Varsity game this year and yes they will be fine and no I am not a coach, I live in the area and prefer HS football over other levels. The reason why there has been an influx of talent is due to the community growing at such a rapid rate. Which outsiders may not understand. The Maineville/Morrow area is one of the most rapid expanding areas in Ohio. The real estate people are talking about that area being the next Mason.

And JV and Freshman do have a correlation just like minor league baseball has a correlation with the majors. 9 times out of 10 if there is good JV team then most likely at Varsity they will be at least decent. Especially if they practice everyday together and Varsity is already good. Freshman/Varsity/JV do that at LM. So some of these kids are getting looks in practice against Varsity players as Freshman. The team next year will be no worse than 6-4 and no better than 9-1 guarantee.
Old 12-13-18, 11:29 PM
Varsity

Guess I must have "touched" a few nerves (off tackle, BaBa whatever?). Truth sometimes drives the less informed crazy. No delusion on my end. I simply state reality. Yeah, Mahon certainly got "paid," and quite handsomely (about a $50,000 increase from his Northwest salary!), and this is how he repays LM? This has been Mahon's plan all along. Just ask the PA team he left in the lurch when he thought he had the Hamilton job several years back. Oh, and as an aside, last I recall, the PLAYERS win the games, NOT the coaches. But then again, I do submit that coaches can indeed lose games by not putting the players in the best position for their talent (players' talent) to win. I'm sure that will "annoy" some of ya all as well! Hopefully LM will find a coach that is really about the kids and NOT about his own future aspirations.
Old 12-14-18, 08:54 AM
Freshman

longshot23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the part of the story that you are skipping over is that during those prior years LM couldn't pass a levy and pay to play was well over $600 per player per sport. Only kids that could pay that amount played on those teams during that time and were typically not the best athletes in the district. The best athletes and kids that wanted any shot of playing on a good team left for other schools. It was a mass exodus - many families up and moved to other districts (Kings and Lakota), left for open enrollment schools (Clinton Massie or Goshen), or went private. The group of high school kids this year (9-12) are the first wave of kids that stayed or have returned to LM- this (along with better coaching) is why LM is now seeing success. The group below this are the new kids moving into the district. Talent is on the rise despite what PT wants to believe. There are other kids in LM that can play football. We will be okay.
Old 12-14-18, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Guess I must have "touched" a few nerves (off tackle, BaBa whatever?). Truth sometimes drives the less informed crazy. No delusion on my end. I simply state reality. Yeah, Mahon certainly got "paid," and quite handsomely (about a $50,000 increase from his Northwest salary!), and this is how he repays LM? This has been Mahon's plan all along. Just ask the PA team he left in the lurch when he thought he had the Hamilton job several years back. Oh, and as an aside, last I recall, the PLAYERS win the games, NOT the coaches. But then again, I do submit that coaches can indeed lose games by not putting the players in the best position for their talent (players' talent) to win. I'm sure that will "annoy" some of ya all as well! Hopefully LM will find a coach that is really about the kids and NOT about his own future aspirations.
I wonder if this was his plan all along, then why did he just move into the LM area before the Hamilton job opened up?
Old 12-14-18, 01:04 PM
All American

Quote:
You didn't hit my nerves... I'm not and have never been a Panther. However, I still think you're delusional and wrong about most of the things you post. Coaches have lives, families and personal goals too. He's leaving LM in December- not in April or May when candidates are thin. I can't believe you thought he owed Little Miami something because he became an administrator. Players do win games and so does everything else involved. I'd venture to say that my experience/successes with game are far beyond yours PT and you need everything. You need players, coaches, administrators, community, alumni, etc. to ALL be on board. I think LM has some support- but let's not kid ourselves... their history isn't rich and LM major financial struggles still loom in the minds of everyone associated.
If a guy has an opportunity to return to his alma mater and that time is right... you do what's best for you. Hamilton has a strong group of young players coming though the ranks and the GMC is very vulnerable to change with the Bolden move to West. Little Miami is about to move to the ECC and get it HANDED to them by some until the players and community catch up to what big boy football is.
Old 12-14-18, 01:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot23 View Post
I think the part of the story that you are skipping over is that during those prior years LM couldn't pass a levy and pay to play was well over $600 per player per sport. Only kids that could pay that amount played on those teams during that time and were typically not the best athletes in the district. The best athletes and kids that wanted any shot of playing on a good team left for other schools. It was a mass exodus - many families up and moved to other districts (Kings and Lakota), left for open enrollment schools (Clinton Massie or Goshen), or went private. The group of high school kids this year (9-12) are the first wave of kids that stayed or have returned to LM- this (along with better coaching) is why LM is now seeing success. The group below this are the new kids moving into the district. Talent is on the rise despite what PT wants to believe. There are other kids in LM that can play football. We will be okay.
You're 100% correct. PT hasn't a clue. Little Miami will go through some growing pains with the league change though. Hopefully PT disappears since his son is gone- poor kid.
Old 12-14-18, 01:16 PM
All District

The growing pains will be there 2 years from now. LM will have a new QB (first year without Reder) and a new more challenging league. I think 5-5 that year will be the best they can hope for that year.

As for Mahon I think the time was right for him. This was his dream HS job. This reminds me of when Kelly left for ND. A historically bad program finally had success than the coach leaves for his "Dream Job" at that level. Ultimately I think Hamilton is getting Murphy pt. 2. ( a young upcoming coach who thinks he can fix the white whale) But that is for them to worry about.

On a side note no person should be angry at any man who is chasing his dream. It is not my place or anyone's. It sucks for the program, it sucks for the kids, but from my understanding the kids are handling it better than the adults. And the adults should learn something from them.
Old 12-14-18, 01:16 PM
All District

Skoalbandito is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Couldn't possibly agree more.
Old 12-14-18, 01:28 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I am not an LM guy but i would agree. I watched all Jr High, JV, Freshman and varsity games when they played us. Not overwhelming athletes but a lot of across the board solid athlete that were well coached and worked together well.
However I do not expect them to have the success they are thinking they will have simply because it is a numbers game. They are going from the largest school in the league to middle of the pack. LM struggled with teams their size and did ok or well with smaller schools.
Old 12-14-18, 02:07 PM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly. I've lived in the district through all of what you just described, even had my own kids go through all of that, and chose to attend school/play sports elsewhere. Still live in the district and love it, and will do whatever I can to help whoever they name with this new coach's opening. Nate Mahon got them moving back in the right direction, and true, it's more a testament to the kids than him; but he deserves credit for coming into a dire situation and leaving it better than he found it. Mr. Patten, now that your son is finally concluded with his football career, it really is in your best interest and mental health to consider letting some things just go...

As longshot rightfully points out, there are good kids coming up, good people that want to keep the positive momentum going, good people who at least have a glimpse of what will be necessary in the next few years to move to the new league and be competitive. Whether or not LM staff will commit to what it will take, at least they now have a vision. It will be a big step up overall, but thankfully, they will no longer have to hear, or take into consideration, the long-winded diatribes you've become known for.
Old 12-15-18, 02:51 AM
Varsity

Well now, I guess many of you posters choose to ignore facts..., The question re: why Mahon bought a house in the District is really quite simple, in fact I believe the poster answered it himself/herself. The Hamilton job was not "open" at the time. No brainer there. Off tackle, it really shows that you know little regarding LM circumstances. I'd suggest you stick to Clinton Massie football matters. Though you may not think there should be some type of loyalty given to a school district that went all-in by providing a coach with a $50,000 raise to come and coach its football program, only to have the guy "bolt" to his own personal "dream job" which in my personal opinion will NOT end well for him, is really a problem in today's HS sports. Whatever happened to being a coach where the players matter more than the coach's personal aspirations? And NO, this isn't like Kelly leaving for ND, there we're talking about millions of $. From what I understand, Mahon's move is simply more or less a lateral move in terms of salary. My personal opinion is that he saw the "writing on the wall" regarding the move to the ECC and realized Lm may well be in for a very, very tough go of it in terms of competing. Easier to go where the expectations are far, far less and maybe win a few more games and be seen as a great success in order to move up further on the ladder to his ultimate goal, being a college coach at say, Miami, Oxford? And FootballPsychguy..., quite interesting that you claim to desire to support LM but you write that you pulled your own kids out of the ditrict to play elsewhere. And, I suppose your blogging name (psychguy?) somehow gives you credibility to diagnose me with "mental" problems. Wow! Besides, I don't do things for my best interest, I do them for the best interest of the young men and women who particpate in LM athletic programs. I'm just a "straight shooter" who lays it out in front of folks. Believe me, my son is just fine - albeit he certainly has faced the ultimate daunting challenge of playing sports in the wild world of LM athletics. Bottom line, I am quite confident that I have done plenty to actually help LM sports achieve success and the players and kids involved in LM athletic programs certainly know who I'm really all about! So do the many parents, who like myself, have sought to continually improve the integrity and quality of our athletic programs. Yeah, yeah, I know, another "long diatribe."
Old 12-15-18, 09:17 AM
All Region

FootballPsychGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well now, I guess many of you posters choose to ignore facts..., The question re: why Mahon bought a house in the District is really quite simple, in fact I believe the poster answered it himself/herself. The Hamilton job was not "open" at the time. No brainer there. Off tackle, it really shows that you know little regarding LM circumstances. I'd suggest you stick to Clinton Massie football matters. Though you may not think there should be some type of loyalty given to a school district that went all-in by providing a coach with a $50,000 raise to come and coach its football program, only to have the guy "bolt" to his own personal "dream job" which in my personal opinion will NOT end well for him, is really a problem in today's HS sports. Whatever happened to being a coach where the players matter more than the coach's personal aspirations? And NO, this isn't like Kelly leaving for ND, there we're talking about millions of $. From what I understand, Mahon's move is simply more or less a lateral move in terms of salary. My personal opinion is that he saw the "writing on the wall" regarding the move to the ECC and realized Lm may well be in for a very, very tough go of it in terms of competing. Easier to go where the expectations are far, far less and maybe win a few more games and be seen as a great success in order to move up further on the ladder to his ultimate goal, being a college coach at say, Miami, Oxford? And FootballPsychguy..., quite interesting that you claim to desire to support LM but you write that you pulled your own kids out of the ditrict to play elsewhere. And, I suppose your blogging name (psychguy?) somehow gives you credibility to diagnose me with "mental" problems. Wow! Besides, I don't do things for my best interest, I do them for the best interest of the young men and women who particpate in LM athletic programs. I'm just a "straight shooter" who lays it out in front of folks. Believe me, my son is just fine - albeit he certainly has faced the ultimate daunting challenge of playing sports in the wild world of LM athletics. Bottom line, I am quite confident that I have done plenty to actually help LM sports achieve success and the players and kids involved in LM athletic programs certainly know who I'm really all about! So do the many parents, who like myself, have sought to continually improve the integrity and quality of our athletic programs. Yeah, yeah, I know, another "long diatribe."
I'll try to help you sort some things out again, straight shooter:
The pull to return to his alma mater was probably the main key for Mahon. To use your words--no brainer there. The PTP was $651 varsity, $475 middle school, per sport, at the time my wife & I made the decision to take our kids out of LM. At that time the number of kids @ LM participating in all sports, 7th grade to 12th, dropped from 875, to less than 550. That's a significant drop, like someone else pointed out. If kids and families had options, many made the difficult decision to give their kids another experience. You may be bitter toward them, can't help you on that one. They (we) did what we thought was best at the time. Doesn't mean we didn't continue to follow closely the developments. It was also an academic one; state oversight committee cut class options down to the very core of state minimums. Not what we moved to the area for originally, and we had the possibility to do what we thought was best for our kids, did so. It wasn't an easy decision, still not sure it was 100% the right decision, but that's part of life. You have zero idea what went behind that decision. At the time, you were early on in your meddlings where you are genuinely clueless. That has continued to this day, and to the bitter end, you still don't get it. Parents like you are part of the problem; not part of the solution, like you think. You claim to be loyal to LM, yet out of the very same breath, you bash coaches, deride their decisions, and backstab others every step of the way. People outside of your tiny circle of like-thinking friends have made their best attempts to just ignore you. It's the only remaining option, because you still don't get it.
Old 12-15-18, 12:57 PM
Freshman

packerfanpt is on a distinguished road
I was also here when the pay-to-play was significant. Still, as I recall, there were several "fund-raising" opportunities employed and there were many ways provided financially to assure that no athlete would NOT be able to participate if they so desired. Thus was NOT the problem folks want to use as an excuse for the LM failures to provide quality athletic programs. In truth, most folks could NOT simply puck up and move to another district - particularly with housing market crash - which was in large part the reason for failed levies. That said, the real reason for Kim's abysmal athletics programs was the lack of support via the leadership in the district as the priority was more focused upon passing levies for teacher salaries etc. than providing quality athletic programs. People can debate that matter, but without district leadership support the athletic programs suffered. Such lack of support led to several coaching disasters and the hiring if an AD who was certainly NOT qualified for such a position (a matter that has since been rectified). As far as the perceived loss of academic classes etc. though there may have been some AP & Honor classes not being offered I can attest that in my eldest daughter's case such did NOT prevent her from receiving a full ride academic scholarship to Miami, Oxford. Sorry you assume I am NOT aware of our district's history. But I have resided here for nearly 25 years and will be having my 3rd and last child graduating HS This year. Frankly, my experience with LM's athletics has simply been one of lack of leadership from the top over the last decade or so, which resulted in several questionable coaching hires - in several of the school's athletic programs. I would dubmit thst in fact our new AD has his work cut out for, nit only seeking a nrw football ciach, but also addressing other coaching circumstances that are holdovers from the last decade of questionable coach hirings. I believe there are many, (Not just a small circle!) who would heartedly concur with my assessment. Still believe high school football coaches should focus more on the school they are hired by, and it's kids, and far, far less on personal "dreams." Unless it really is a financial issue/need, I'm not convinced HS coaches should be in the business of moving around for their own personal fulfillment. But, I get how some may not agree. Just don't see many HS coaches leaving programs for perceived "greener pastures" when the pasture their in is supposedly flourishing. Get Bolden went to Lakota West, but after his boys finished at Colerain AND for a reported $50,000 raise. Know any other coaches leaving play-off teams this year?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-18, 01:42 PM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
As a fellow coach at LMHS, I am thankful for what Nate Mahon did for the Little Miami community.

He did three things that I am thankful for:
--He provided much needed structure and discipline to the football program. He had a plan and executed it.
--He encouraged the boys to play other sports, recognizing that improving overall athletic skills makes better football players. This made other teams better.
--Working with the boys, he showed they could be competitive with other area football teams. He demonstrated to parents it is possible to win.

If you want to look for negatives, you can always find them. The facts are that he turned around a horrible football team that lacked discipline. They looked like a real HS team this past year. He is leaving the school football team in a better position than he found it.
Old 12-15-18, 04:25 PM
Freshman

longshot23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Man 101 View Post
As a fellow coach at LMHS, I am thankful for what Nate Mahon did for the Little Miami community.

He did three things that I am thankful for:
--He provided much needed structure and discipline to the football program. He had a plan and executed it.
--He encouraged the boys to play other sports, recognizing that improving overall athletic skills makes better football players. This made other teams better.
--Working with the boys, he showed they could be competitive with other area football teams. He demonstrated to parents it is possible to win.

If you want to look for negatives, you can always find them. The facts are that he turned around a horrible football team that lacked discipline. They looked like a real HS team this past year. He is leaving the school football team in a better position than he found it.
Very well said. Thank you!
Old 12-15-18, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

The only thing wild about the "wild world" of LM athletics are parents like you preach. Next year already looks brighter because hopefully you won't be around anymore!
Old 12-15-18, 11:43 PM
Freshman

packerfanpt is on a distinguished road
Well Pete, I'm not going anywhere and because we live in a free society I can write whatever I choose. It is interesting that you appear to disagree with my posts and yet you haven't indicated as of this time that you are a parent of a player who actually played for Lemon the recent years. As you know, my son has been playing for LM Varsity football the last 4 years - including the entire Mahon tenure. As such I believe to truly be able to "know" the inside scoop regarding the program and the coaching staff, a parent of a player who was significantly involved as a 4-year Varsity starter would no doubt have a better understanding than someone who may not even have a player involved in the current program. Unless of course you ARE a parent of a current player who was significantly involved (which you may be while "hiding" behind your screen name!) your commentary is really baseless and coming from ignorance. Be interested to know how many personal conversations you've had with coach Mahon? How much did your son play for the team in the last 4 years? If the answer to either is very little to none, you my friend have really no basis for informed commentary. Of course, maybe coming out from behind your screen name and revealing who you are and how extensive your involvement in LM's current football program could possibly provide a better substantive reality to your commentary. If not, you'll simply be another un-informed blogger who knows little and can't be reasonably listened to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-18, 04:17 PM
All Ohio

My screen name is my name. I'm not a hard guy to find.
Old 12-16-18, 06:44 PM
Varsity

Well Pete, if that's actually the case..., I don't recall any players in the last 4 years my son played LM football with the name "Dragon." So if it is as you say, how then can you possibly know the "real" scoop regarding LM's program? "Runningman", great comments re: the state of LM football under the former Mahon regime. I would agree with most of what you posture. However, I'm more inclined that a HS coach be more "all-in" for his school and his players - not be coaching for his own accolades and future ambitions. Just my preference (See Kings' Andy Olds for reference sake). Yes, our now former coach showed the community winning is indeed possible. But in my humble opinion there's much, much more I would like to see from a high school coach, not just garnering victories - particularly against (yes, I'll say it and some guy will call Vegas - Ha!) lower competition. I believe that the "discipline" you reference includes integrity and class, Again, dropping "F-Bombs" every other sentence is NOT the best way to instill such character traits in young men - and it did show up on Friday nights with players screaming "F-Bombs" at the stands etc. and being thrown out of games, with the head coach getting personal fouls for doing the same to officials. Encouraging kids to play multiple sports is ALWAYS a positive. Now if LM could get some coaching in those "other" sports (not yours if you are who I believe you are), then we'll really be headed in the right direction! believe our new AD (who appears to be a good man) has quite the tall order in front of him - and NOT just in replacing a football coach.
Old 12-16-18, 06:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Well Pete, if that's actually the case..., I don't recall any players in the last 4 years my son played LM football with the name "Dragon." So if it is as you say, how then can you possibly know the "real" scoop regarding LM's program? "Runningman", great comments re: the state of LM football under the former Mahon regime. I would agree with most of what you posture. However, I'm more inclined that a HS coach be more "all-in" for his school and his players - not be coaching for his own accolades and future ambitions. Just my preference (See Kings' Andy Olds for reference sake). Yes, our now former coach showed the community winning is indeed possible. But in my humble opinion there's much, much more I would like to see from a high school coach, not just garnering victories - particularly against (yes, I'll say it and some guy will call Vegas - Ha!) lower competition. I believe that the "discipline" you reference includes integrity and class, Again, dropping "F-Bombs" every other sentence is NOT the best way to instill such character traits in young men - and it did show up on Friday nights with players screaming "F-Bombs" at the stands etc. and being thrown out of games, with the head coach getting personal fouls for doing the same to officials. Encouraging kids to play multiple sports is ALWAYS a positive. Now if LM could get some coaching in those "other" sports (not yours if you are who I believe you are), then we'll really be headed in the right direction! believe our new AD (who appears to be a good man) has quite the tall order in front of him - and NOT just in replacing a football coach.
I can't believe I agree with anything you say, but what I will say is that some of the staff attitudes and player actions I saw were... not okay. Now- I don't think that's all Mahon. A lot of that rests on the school, other coaches, PARENTS. Mahon brought LM up from the basement- giving a community hope. I still disagree with you about his movement of jobs.EVERYONE who knows him knew that he would head for Hamilton if given a chance. A lot of coaches are very loyal to their alma mater.

You may not agree with this, but LM applied to join the SBAAC a few years ago, knowing good and well their end goal was to end up in the ECC. They would have been in the SBAAC for 3-4 years and then they would have darted. The SBAAC would have restructured for them- just to be left high and dry. The Admins in the SBAAC would have let LM had this not been the case. LM wanted to join, get some programs built up because they would probably do more winning in the SBAAC and then head to the ECC. So in a way LM was trying to do the same thing Mahon did... build themselves up and head to greener pastures. Karma sucks.
Old 12-16-18, 07:59 PM
All Ohio

I've been around LM athletics longer than your son has been alive. I've known the "scoop" long before you lived in this fine community. Nice try preach.
Old 12-17-18, 04:38 AM
Varsity

Look Pete..., all I'm saying is that simply being "around" LM athletics can NOT be assumed to being the same as "knowing the inside scoop" of a program when compared to a parent of an athlete currently participating in said program. It's one thing to hear about a program from "outside" sources as compared to being informed by a program's significant participant on a daily basis as in reports regarding practices, coaches comments, playbook discussions, game planning for opponents etc. Unless you are privvy to such info, which you have not indicated you are, then I find it difficult to comprehend how you can truly make an informed evaluation of what actually has been taking place over the course of the last 4 years of LM's football program. Sure, you can ASSUME certain things based upon outside "results" such as team season records etc., but without actually talking to players/coaches on a regular basis, well I state the obvious. That's why I stand by my observations based upon having access to such information, and why I find so many commentators on these blogs to be over-reaching in their views of what was really happening behind the scenes. With my own personal loss of such inside information via my son's completion of his time at LM I would be careful to offer commentary with the caveat of recognizing I am not going to be privvy to the real "inside scoop" any longer. Like you, I can offer opinions, but need to be careful and certainly recognize those personally involved would obviously have a better vantage point than my own.