Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-12-18, 10:00 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
“In my opinion and mine alone, open enrollment is an area where parochial schools are currently struggling,” Kempe said. “We had open enrollment when Dan was head coach and during my first year, but after that the doors seemed to shut.”

Well he isn't lying.
Old 11-12-18, 10:04 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
New principal wants scholars, not athletes. Looks like Mooney May be feeling the same pinch.
Old 11-12-18, 10:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
New principal wants scholars, not athletes. Looks like Mooney May be feeling the same pinch.
Yea pretty obvious Kemp wanted the flood gates open. Will be interesting to see what the future holds. They need to alleviate that schedule even if it's a little bit.
Old 11-13-18, 06:16 AM
All District

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
“I had an opportunity to take another job last year...” Had to be Niles. Nothing else makes sense considering what was open last year. That’s interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-18, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Yea pretty obvious Kemp wanted the flood gates open. Will be interesting to see what the future holds. They need to alleviate that schedule even if it's a little bit.

So they are blaming their lack of success on the same thing that has made them good for all the years. Karma. Good luck getting a local public to schedule them.

Old 11-13-18, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Private schools should be trying to attract both scholars and athletes. IF being a great athlete gives you an opportunity at better HS education that is not a bad thing is it? Alumni can’t be happy with the current state of football at Ursuline.
Old 11-13-18, 11:33 AM
All District

Ok I'm taking a risk here making this statement and I promise I'm really not trying to start an argument or stir any pots... But I've always hated the stigma that because kids go to a catholic school, they are getting a better education. I don't have any hard evidence that it's true/not true, and I don't care to look at District test scores. But do private schools hire better qualified teachers than a public school? Where does this come from?

Edit: Additional thought... There's a difference between "catholic education" and "better education".

Last edited by NEohioFB; 11-13-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 11:37 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
“In my opinion and mine alone, open enrollment is an area where parochial schools are currently struggling,” Kempe said. “We had open enrollment when Dan was head coach and during my first year, but after that the doors seemed to shut.”

Well he isn't lying.
Is he saying that more area public schools now have open enrollment and some student-athletes who previously would have enrolled at Ursuline are now enrolling at other area public schools . . . or . . . is he saying that Ursuline has moved toward a more selective admissions process and, as a result, he cannot get his athletes "in the door."
Old 11-13-18, 11:48 AM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Having kids that have attended what is considered a "good" public school and now a Catholic school I can tell you unequivocally that the Catholic education is hands down, far as nd away better. There are many reasons but one of the biggest is that the teachers at the public are mostly legacies, either they graduated from there or their parents were teachers. It seemed to us that they were just there for the job. The teachers at our Catholic seem to be there for the love of teaching. It is just our experience and I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but that is how we feel about it. That being said, I understand that not all publics are bad just the same as not all Catholics are great. Same with the teachers.

It also should be noted that both Ursuline and Kennedy are actually classified as college prep schools rather than high schools.
Old 11-13-18, 11:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Having kids that have attended what is considered a "good" public school and now a Catholic school I can tell you unequivocally that the Catholic education is hands down, far as nd away better. There are many reasons but one of the biggest is that the teachers at the public are mostly legacies, either they graduated from there or their parents were teachers. It seemed to us that they were just there for the job. The teachers at our Catholic seem to be there for the love of teaching. It is just our experience and I'm sure there will be those that disagree, but that is how we feel about it. That being said, I understand that not all publics are bad just the same as not all Catholics are great. Same with the teachers.

It also should be noted that both Ursuline and Kennedy are actually classified as college prep schools rather than high schools.
I breathed a sigh of relief reading this simply because I can't believe a constructive response came out of my comment. I completely respect your opinion and trust it because you actually lived it. I've had family go through both types and obviously still have my opinion, but thank you for your response Jaws!
Old 11-13-18, 12:13 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Is he saying that more area public schools now have open enrollment and some student-athletes who previously would have enrolled at Ursuline are now enrolling at other area public schools . . . or . . . is he saying that Ursuline has moved toward a more selective admissions process and, as a result, he cannot get his athletes "in the door."
I think he's saying "both", and I think he's right.

As far as Mooney and Ursuline go, they have tightened their admission process to an extent, but they do take students that are "on the brink" and they are not all athletes.

Their charter is to educate students in a religious atmosphere. I believe both are very good at that. They certainly have shortcomings, but overall they give great educations, and send more kids to college (as a percentage) then the Public Schools in our area.
Old 11-13-18, 12:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I had to read it a couple times but I believe he's saying Ursuline has become more selective opposed to when Reardon was coaching and Kempe first began coaching at Ursuline. Idk if I 100% buy into that. There's still a lot of talent in that school, on that team.
Old 11-13-18, 12:17 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
As a footnote, the football programs are not the only ones suffering.

Mooney has had some stunning results in the past decade or 2 (as has Ursuline), in other sports. Many of the sports that have had real success 5 to 15 years ago are struggling to compete
Old 11-13-18, 01:05 PM
Varsity

crazyirishfan
There were a lot more "athletes" allowed to attend Ursuline under Reardon than Kempe, I believe is what is being said if you read between the lines. I definitely agree. The well has run a little dry, but certainly still some talent and they should have performed better. They didn't and that is why there is a change. There is no reason why you couldn't have a quality academic institution that is also successful on the field of play. Open enrollment has definitely evened up the playing field in Mahoning County between privates and publics, in my opinion.

Whoever replaces Kempe will have their work cut out for them. Wish them nothing but the best of luck.

Could any former Ursuline assistants be in the running?
Old 11-13-18, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
As a footnote, the football programs are not the only ones suffering.

Mooney has had some stunning results in the past decade or 2 (as has Ursuline), in other sports. Many of the sports that have had real success 5 to 15 years ago are struggling to compete
Some of those sports are struggling to field teams let alone compete. Track and cross country immediately come to mind. Outside of the occasional good individual athletes, both schools' participation numbers in those sports have been extremely low.
Old 11-13-18, 01:40 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
We play Cardinal Mooney in Lacrosse, they have good numbers and field both a varsity and JV. The team is not very good, there are a few football players that play but they struggle with the stick skills that separate the good teams from the bad. they also tend to have the heavier kids playing on the defensive end of the game. The really good programs usually have their best athletes playing defense. What makes our program as good as it is, is that the defense has kids who can really fly around. Mooney not so much.
Old 11-13-18, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
We play Cardinal Mooney in Lacrosse, they have good numbers and field both a varsity and JV. The team is not very good, there are a few football players that play but they struggle with the stick skills that separate the good teams from the bad. they also tend to have the heavier kids playing on the defensive end of the game. The really good programs usually have their best athletes playing defense. What makes our program as good as it is, is that the defense has kids who can really fly around. Mooney not so much.
Mooney's lacrosse programs (Mooney offers girls lacrosse, too) have killed their track programs.
Old 11-13-18, 03:02 PM
All Ohio

I think Kempe’s really upset at the fact they asked him to stay. Having a young team coming up and that brutal schedule is a recipe for disaster. They all knew it was going to be a rough year. And now, having weathered the storm, they tell him we don’t need you now. Those kids will be a year older and more experienced and just those two factors will make it a better team next year. I also believe they lost their QB for the season before it started. If the next guy does better, and they should, part of the credit goes to this years staff. He stayed on when he had another job. No good deed goes unpunished. And some bad ones go unpunished too. But that’s another sad story.
Old 11-13-18, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I’m sure a job or two will be open this offseason for him to land in.

Old 11-13-18, 08:44 PM
All Ohio

gotti544 is on a distinguished road
I think it is a pretty well known fact the admissions were tightened once Reardon left, he recruited a lot of kids that would have never gotten in previously. Brutal schedule is the result of Reardon’s bandit ways, with admissions tightened it was a receipe for disaster for Kempe. Unless the AD is able to lighten up the schedule, many more losing seasons are on the horizon
Old 11-13-18, 09:10 PM
All World

And not to stir the pot at all but the rise of public schools like East, Hubbard, and Girard couldn't have come at a worse time for Ursuline football based on geographical locations. Even Fitch, Boardman, and now Chaney will keep kids home who use to opt for the Irish after middle school.
Old 11-13-18, 09:40 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Any word on someone taking over? I know it’s early, but there’s gotta be some names kicked around.
Old 11-13-18, 09:46 PM
All Ohio

Any ex-Irish players available?
Old 11-13-18, 10:45 PM
All World

Desantis was the offensive cord during their state championship runs. Any idea where he is now? I'm sure he'd apply.
Old 11-14-18, 06:24 AM
All District

He is a principal in Warren City. Hasn’t coached in 4-5 years. Highly doubt as a principal he’d be able to take that job.

Old 11-14-18, 11:56 AM
All World

Wow had no idea. Well good for John!
Old 11-14-18, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioFB View Post
“I had an opportunity to take another job last year...” Had to be Niles. Nothing else makes sense considering what was open last year. That’s interesting.

Could very well have been Campbell too.
Old 11-14-18, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
So they are blaming their lack of success on the same thing that has made them good for all the years. Karma. Good luck getting a local public to schedule them.

East will continue to

I imagine they will eventually be on Chaney's schedule as well.
Old 11-14-18, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti544 View Post
I think it is a pretty well known fact the admissions were tightened once Reardon left, he recruited a lot of kids that would have never gotten in previously. Brutal schedule is the result of Reardon’s bandit ways, with admissions tightened it was a receipe for disaster for Kempe. Unless the AD is able to lighten up the schedule, many more losing seasons are on the horizon
Cylar left around the same time Reardon did. Reardon doesn't have all that success without him.

That brutal schedule was locked in place years ago as Ursuline were tied into long term deals the AD agreed to.

I can remember talking to a booster back around 2014 and them being happy they had their schedule locked in for 4 years. Turns out that wasn't a good thing after all.
Old 11-14-18, 03:17 PM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
East will continue to

I imagine they will eventually be on Chaney's schedule as well.
East, the Irish may have to drop East in a few years, LOL!