Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-27-18, 11:35 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Any difference is in the overall measurables of the team's players. OSU for instance is going to have more overall speed & size at positions on average than UC or MAC teams will have. Of course, if you look hard enough, you may occasionally find some exceptions to that, but they are just that, exceptions.
A MAC assistant FB coach told me once the biggest difference between MAC athletes and BIG10 athletes was toughness and meanness. That is the biggest thing you can't always improve upon. Kids can get faster, bigger, and stronger but it is difficult to improve a kid's desire and heart.
Old 12-28-18, 09:13 AM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
A MAC assistant FB coach told me once the biggest difference between MAC athletes and BIG10 athletes was toughness and meanness. That is the biggest thing you can't always improve upon. Kids can get faster, bigger, and stronger but it is difficult to improve a kid's desire and heart.
That's interesting and don't think I have ever heard that. I have always been told is that MAC kids are 1-2 inches shorter or .1-.2 seconds slower in the measurables
Old 12-28-18, 11:26 AM
All Region

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's his opinion. Hard to measure heart & desire. I've known kids on the Dayton Flyers, a D1 FCS non-scholarship team, that are just as mean & tough or more as kids on OSU's team that I have known. They were just not as fast in the 40 or some other measurable even though all were All State high school players at one level or another. Can say the same about MAC players I have known.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-28-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 01:51 PM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
We have all seen examples of kids who get D1 offers over kids who were far more productive on the field.

The only objective criteria available to coaches besides game tape is size and speed. In this day and age game tape means Hudl tape which is simply a highlight reel. Even lazy unproductive players have good plays on tape. So while a coach might pick up something about a players technique it is not a true and complete evaluation of the player.

So it comes down to current size, room to add weight (or height if they believe based on parents a growth spurt is coming) and 40 time. If you are talking about Power 5 schools size and speed is an important criteria. No matter how much heart a kid has you aren't going to line up a 5'11 200 lb linebacker at Ohio State.

I think what is unfortunate is how kids and parents don't always value FCS and DII and DIII opportunities. Kids can continue to compete while getting a good education at a number of great schools.

Parents need to provide the voice of reason to their kids, not by squashing their dreams, but of providing them a realistic look at their opportunities
Old 12-28-18, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The difference between the MAC/UC and any BIG10 school is so minute the average fan could not pick up on it.
In Jaydon's case it's not ability, speed, or grades as he's got all of that. It is probably that he is about 185 lbs which is small for a big ten rb. In contrast, Isaiah Bowser from Sidney, for example, just had a good true freshman season at Northwestern and he was a starter. Isaiah is not more agile, or faster than Jaydon, but he is about 30-40 lbs heavier and 2-3 inches taller.
Old 12-28-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Does he have any offers?
I believe Ball State offered him as well as many d2 schools. But that is not 100%. I haven't been able to find anything online regarding JCB.
Old 12-28-18, 05:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
In Jaydon's case it's not ability, speed, or grades as he's got all of that. It is probably that he is about 185 lbs which is small for a big ten rb. In contrast, Isaiah Bowser from Sidney, for example, just had a good true freshman season at Northwestern and he was a starter. Isaiah is not more agile, or faster than Jaydon, but he is about 30-40 lbs heavier and 2-3 inches taller.
Exactly .... good example.
Old 12-28-18, 06:04 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
We have all seen examples of kids who get D1 offers over kids who were far more productive on the field.

The only objective criteria available to coaches besides game tape is size and speed. In this day and age game tape means Hudl tape which is simply a highlight reel. Even lazy unproductive players have good plays on tape. So while a coach might pick up something about a players technique it is not a true and complete evaluation of the player.

So it comes down to current size, room to add weight (or height if they believe based on parents a growth spurt is coming) and 40 time. If you are talking about Power 5 schools size and speed is an important criteria. No matter how much heart a kid has you aren't going to line up a 5'11 200 lb linebacker at Ohio State.

I think what is unfortunate is how kids and parents don't always value FCS and DII and DIII opportunities. Kids can continue to compete while getting a good education at a number of great schools.

Parents need to provide the voice of reason to their kids, not by squashing their dreams, but of providing them a realistic look at their opportunities
Very accurate post. I will only add the following: When a high school coach sends out his players highlight video and profile from the teams HUDL Recruiting Center to colleges they also send out the players two best full game videos for them to review. The players profile that goes with that includes the players measurables, ht-wt, 40 time, Pro Shuttle time, bench press etc; awards - other sports played - GPA & ACT/SAT scores. Their high school grades transcript can even be attached. It also includes the coaches recommendation or anything else he wants to say about the player and a rating by the high school coach for D-1 FBS, D-1 FCS, D-2, or D3/NAIA.

The HUDL Recruiting Center is the preferred method by colleges for receiving recruits videos & information as it puts them in direct contact with the players head coach. Many commercial recruiting organizations have tried to copy the way the HUDL Recruiting Center works and they charge parents up to $2500 to do the same thing for a player that his high school coach does for free. Actually, they cannot do as much for the kid as the high school coach can as they are not allowed to talk to the colleges for the kid by NCAA rules and the high school coach is allowed.

The one scouting site that I would recommend outside of HUDL for loading videos in Ohio is Mark Porter's site at www.scoutingohio.com. The Colleges pay Mark to belong to his site and he rates the players for them. It is "free" for the players. Mark also gives valuable recruiting information out on his twitter site: https://twitter.com/Mark__Porter

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-28-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Very accurate post. I will only add the following: When a high school coach sends out his players highlight video and profile from the teams HUDL Recruiting Center to colleges they also send out the players two best full game videos for them to review. The players profile that goes with that includes the players measurables, ht-wt, 40 time, Pro Shuttle time, bench press etc; awards - other sports played - GPA & ACT/SAT scores. Their high school grades transcript can even be attached. It also includes the coaches recommendation or anything else he wants to say about the player and a rating by the high school coach for D-1 FBS, D-1 FCS, D-2, or D3/NAIA.

The HUDL Recruiting Center is the preferred method by colleges for receiving recruits videos & information as it puts them in direct contact with the players head coach. Many commercial recruiting organizations have tried to copy the way the HUDL Recruiting Center works and they charge parents up to $2500 to do the same thing for a player that his high school coach does for free. Actually, they cannot do as much for the kid as the high school coach can as they are not allowed to talk to the colleges for the kid by NCAA rules and the high school coach is allowed.

The one scouting site that I would recommend outside of HUDL for loading videos in Ohio is Mark Porter's site at www.scoutingohio.com. The Colleges pay Mark to belong to his site and he rates the players for them. It is "free" for the players. Mark also gives valuable recruiting information out on his twitter site: https://twitter.com/Mark__Porter
I am familiar with HUDL but have never heard of the HUDL Recruiting Center. If the high school is already using HUDL, I would assume the HC is using the RC?
Old 12-29-18, 07:56 PM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
People, plain and simple, its a numbers game, chit, you dont even have to be a great HS FB player, but if you can blaze in the 40, do the shuttle cones, the no fumble no stumble drill,back pedal,pass the eye test etc. their belief is they'll make a FB player out of you
Old 12-29-18, 08:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickShadow View Post
People, plain and simple, its a numbers game, chit, you dont even have to be a great HS FB player, but if you can blaze in the 40, do the shuttle cones, the no fumble no stumble drill,back pedal,pass the eye test etc. their belief is they'll make a FB player out of you
I believe this is true for only the elite of the elite athletes. For example Zion Williamson getting d1 offers and he doesn’t even play football. For the most part, you need to have more than just measurables to be a good football player.
Those are only a small part of what makes a player special.
Old 12-29-18, 10:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am familiar with HUDL but have never heard of the HUDL Recruiting Center. If the high school is already using HUDL, I would assume the HC is using the RC?
Only staff members with Administrative rights like the head coach or his designees have access to the HUDL Recruiting Center. I'm not even sure if you can see the link to it on your teams HUDL account if you do not have administrative rights. You can see what is on a players profile though without administrative rights. Players should be keeping their profiles updated. I would certainly hope that all head coaches are using it.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-30-18 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 11:42 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
I'm surprised that I haven't heard JJ Davis of Colerain's name mentioned with any offers.
The coach wasted JJ Davis. JJ ran wild in the playoffs last year. The coach picked the Ivan Pace ticket, this year. You can only run up the middle so many times.
Old 12-30-18, 01:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
I believe this is true for only the elite of the elite athletes. For example Zion Williamson getting d1 offers and he doesn’t even play football. For the most part, you need to have more than just measurables to be a good football player.
Those are only a small part of what makes a player special.
Measurables are not a small part. If a player does not have the measurables for the position they are looking to recruit at the D1 & D2 levels then they are probably not going to recruit them. Granted there are exceptions to every rule but there are few. Colleges don't even trust 40 times from other camps. They want to time the player themselves to verify. If they meet the measurables for the position & have the grades/ACT then their game videos & performance now mean something. D2 & D3 are full of All State & All District ball players that did not have the measurables for a higher level of play.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-30-18 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-30-18, 06:29 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
If your athlete plays another sport make sure you include that sports highlights in their profile. My son has been contacted about football because if his Lacrosse highlight reel. He plays both football and Lacrosse and several of the football coaches talked about his Lacrosse highlights as a defensemen more than his play at defensive end. One actually commented on a picture they found of him on social media dunking a basketball (he does not play basketball at all).
Old 12-30-18, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Measurables are not a small part. If a player does not have the measurables for the position they are looking to recruit at the D1 & D2 levels then they are probably not going to recruit them. Granted there are exceptions to every rule but there are few. Colleges don't even trust 40 times from other camps. They want to time the player themselves to verify. If they meet the measurables for the position & have the grades/ACT then their game videos & performance now mean something. D2 & D3 are full of All State & All District ball players that did not have the measurables for a higher level of play.
That patriots have been dominant for almost 2 decades with a slow and skinny qb who was drafted in the 6th rd. And their skill players and wide receivers are typically small not the the greatest type of athlete. But they have the intangibles.
Old 12-30-18, 11:21 AM
All Region

Quote:
That patriots have been dominant for almost 2 decades with a slow and skinny qb who was drafted in the 6th rd. And their skill players and wide receivers are typically small not the the greatest type of athlete. But they have the intangibles.
Brady had the measurables for a QB although he was on the slow side for the NFL, not college. That is why he barely made it in the 6th round as the 199th pick which confirms his measurables being the reason. You could almost call him an exception to the rule but he wasn't. He made it, although barely. How well one performs after making it to the NFL, D1, D2 etc; is a whole different conversation. You have to get there first.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 12-30-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 06:57 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tom Brady is 6'4" tall, and he played at a major D1 program, he had the measurables. D1 college programs recruit players who fit a certain size, depending on the position. If you aren't that size, it will be rare for you to even get looked at.
Old 12-31-18, 07:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Tom Brady is 6'4" tall, and he played at a major D1 program, he had the measurables. D1 college programs recruit players who fit a certain size, depending on the position. If you aren't that size, it will be rare for you to even get looked at.
Absolutely correct. Brady had the measurables but was on the slow side of the speed measurables for a QB. That & the fact that he did not have an impressive showing in the combine were the reasons he was drafted so low.
Old 12-31-18, 08:03 PM
All Region

Quote:
This is what it looks like inside the HUDL Recruiting Center when a players profile is ready to have 2 game videos attached and sent out to colleges along with his highlight video & Head Coaches recommendation. There is no reason to ever have to pay a commercial recruiting organization like many parents get sucked into. Click image for larger version

Name:	HUDL RC.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2709
Old 01-03-19, 09:29 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This maybe the stupidest thing I have ever heard, typically interior Dline (3s and 1s) and OL are a little bit smaller and not as deep. Depth at the Oline in the MAC has always been an issue for the entire conference. Obviously MAC schools are not going to have an abundance of NFL first 3 round talent like a Big Ten Teams, MAC schools typically have like 2 or 3 guys on each side of the ball that are NFL type guys (late round, free agents)
Old 01-09-19, 08:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I believe Ball State offered him as well as many d2 schools. But that is not 100%. I haven't been able to find anything online regarding JCB.
Good for him! It is great when a kid can use FB to pay for his college education at any level