Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-26-15, 03:12 PM
Freshman

cincysportslover is on a distinguished road
WINTON WOODS BOYS BASKETBALL future

Me and a buddy of mine got on the convo of winton woods basketball program. The warriors won 5 games this season. Winton woods under David Lumpkin was a powerhouse in the southwest area. So what happen? I honestly think that the talent is going to GCL from that area with a combo of bad coaching. You guys thoughts ?, Is it a school thing ? football did not look to hot either this year. So whats going on with the warriors?? Should the school look to rebuild coaching staff,administration etc or has the talent pool dwindled over the years.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 03:48 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
I believe they only made it out of the sectionals one year while Lumpkin was coaching... that was the year they went to state (2002). That being said, I think Lumpkin did a good job at WW during his time there.

The problem now is they are not in a league so their schedule is brutal and they weren't very talented this year either. Some of WW losses this year: Walnut, St. X, Elder, Dunbar, Wilmington, Cov Cath, Thurgood, Moeller, East. Not going to beat those teams if you don't have some top level talent. Gillespie made it out of sectionals one year just like Lumpkin did, and that year WW lost to Lasalle in the regionals and Lasalle went on to win state.

Last edited by cincyhoops; 03-26-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE I honestly think that the talent is going to GCL from that area .[/QUOTE]

Who have they lost to GCL schools over the past few years?
Old 03-26-15, 08:07 PM
All World

tucker
No conference may be hurting them keep kids
Old 03-27-15, 12:33 PM
Freshman

There is a lot of athletes that live in the forest park area that have taken their talent to Moeller or lasalle, and roger bacon as well as open enrolment schools. The point is if you are a top athlete that lives in that area you are not going to that school. Speaking of a league what do you suggest they do. Gmc ? inner city league. too big for chl. In my mind would fit the most due to location. Is the kids in that school getting good coaching? I can say on the boys side it has not been the best. To answer your question lumpkin made it out a couple more times other than that state runner up run. How are they looking next year all round (football,Basketball,)
Old 03-27-15, 12:48 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysportslover View Post
There is a lot of athletes that live in the forest park area that have taken their talent to Moeller or lasalle, and roger bacon as well as open enrolment schools. The point is if you are a top athlete that lives in that area you are not going to that school. Speaking of a league what do you suggest they do. Gmc ? inner city league. too big for chl. In my mind would fit the most due to location. Is the kids in that school getting good coaching? I can say on the boys side it has not been the best. To answer your question lumpkin made it out a couple more times other than that state runner up run. How are they looking next year all round (football,Basketball,)
It wasn't a question, I looked it up on the OHSAA website which goes back to 1999. What years (other than 2002) did Lumpkin make it out of the sectional on the boys side?
Old 03-27-15, 01:09 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
It wasn't a question, I looked it up on the OHSAA website which goes back to 1999. What years (other than 2002) did Lumpkin make it out of the sectional on the boys side?

Your right , sorry about that the point I am trying to make the coaching was still good parents was happy,school was happy ask parents now and the last 4 years coaching comments are not the best.
Old 03-28-15, 03:49 PM
All Region

Man Up is on a distinguished road
it goes much deeper than this, across the board football and basketball, its a word that some of my ww posters know some probably are tired of hearing it.

discipline. respect. I could write a five page note on this concerning my warriors, maybe later, I just don't have to energy right now.
Old 03-28-15, 04:03 PM
All World

tucker
why can't they get in the league with Harrison, northwest, and mt healthy? I have heard that little Miami is trying to go to the southern buckeye league to replace Amelia when Amelia and glen este merge.
Old 03-30-15, 12:27 AM
Freshman

Exclamation

The only thing about going into a league with harrison, Amelia, etc is they might roll through the football. Basketball is up in the air. It's tough to small for gmc to good for some leagues and to big. But many have blamed the ad for the current situation. My issue for this school which I have been watching since forest park days is that it seems the past 3 years it has not been discipline like man up said. But if you don't have the right people in place to discipline what do you expect. Another issue it seems like all the great coaches leave. Basketball mark Mitchell left, Adam Gergen , argentatti. All went off to another school. All of these guys definitely could of did better job than the guy in place. Calvin Johnson should of been the head coach of the football program another person who could of did better than Andre Parker. They had a guy name demarco kinnamoree young guy who I watch often in aau who was an assistant under Calvin Johnson girls program, this kid could of been trained or even took over he is a great role model and disciplinary he is young enough where he could invest time and build a program. A guy name Markus also was a great coach. Either one of those guys demarco Or Markus could coach boys or girls. My point all those guys I named are off to something else or left and should of been in a lead role. Kids are buying into catholic schools not only for the school but the coaching. Andre park great guy but has proven that he is not able to control his staff or players. Specially his staff. Don Gillespie gets everything his way because of his family name. Winton woods administration has to make a choice of if they want guys who build programs or do they want Guys who gets the job because of who they know. I mean the football staff interaction with the players was horrible seeing them at the neighborhood bars, should have never happen specially with players.i feel you change the decision makers in the school you get better outcomes.
Old 03-30-15, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only thing about going into a league with harrison, Amelia, etc is they might roll through the football. Basketball is up in the air. It's tough to small for gmc to good for some leagues and to big. But many have blamed the ad for the current situation. My issue for this school which I have been watching since forest park days is that it seems the past 3 years it has not been discipline like man up said. But if you don't have the right people in place to discipline what do you expect. Another issue it seems like all the great coaches leave. Basketball mark Mitchell left, Adam Gergen , argentatti. All went off to another school. All of these guys definitely could of did better job than the guy in place. Calvin Johnson should of been the head coach of the football program another person who could of did better than Andre Parker. They had a guy name demarco kinnamoree young guy who I watch often in aau who was an assistant under Calvin Johnson girls program, this kid could of been trained or even took over he is a great role model and disciplinary he is young enough where he could invest time and build a program. A guy name Markus also was a great coach. Either one of those guys demarco Or Markus could coach boys or girls. My point all those guys I named are off to something else or left and should of been in a lead role. Kids are buying into catholic schools not only for the school but the coaching. Andre park great guy but has proven that he is not able to control his staff or players. Specially his staff. Don Gillespie gets everything his way because of his family name. Winton woods administration has to make a choice of if they want guys who build programs or do they want Guys who gets the job because of who they know. I mean the football staff interaction with the players was horrible seeing them at the neighborhood bars, should have never happen specially with players.i feel you change the decision makers in the school you get better outcomes.

Did you really try to sneak Adam Gergens name in with these other coaches:laugh

Now that is nonsense, and I will no longer read another one of your post. Do us all a favor and delete yourself from Yappi
Old 03-30-15, 08:21 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlnewbie View Post

Now that is nonsense, and I will no longer read another one of your post. Do us all a favor and delete yourself from Yappi
What do you have against Gergen?
Old 03-30-15, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
What do you have against Gergen?
Nothing at all, hes just not in that class of coaching. Thats like putting Argentati and Mitchell in the same class as Fleming. Its all relative.
Old 03-30-15, 01:01 PM
Freshman

Sir its people like you in this city that make me sick, not once did I mention there resume but I sinply was stating the effect they have on the kids and the school and that's what winton woods need maybe you need learn some comprehension. Not once did I talk about wins or loss, but how well these guys were disciplinary when they were at winton woods. Your comment was needed and to be honest I can give two rabbit butts if you read a post from me again. Adam Gergen and a couple of those other guys will be great coaches soon and I pray it's guys like you that don't try to be there fans.
Old 03-30-15, 01:20 PM
All World

Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Get rid of over the top parents involved in the program who think their kid with marginal talent is the end all be all of the program.

Here is a perfect example. All this video and self made hype of a former cancer who amounted to a bunch of hot air / eligibility issues only to land on a college roster at basketball powerhouse The Vincennes University. Cancer in the big toe is just as dangerous as cancer of the brain. Cut the cancers at the door on day 1 of tryouts.

Old 03-30-15, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Sir its people like you in this city that make me sick, not once did I mention there resume but I sinply was stating the effect they have on the kids and the school and that's what winton woods need maybe you need learn some comprehension. Not once did I talk about wins or loss, but how well these guys were disciplinary when they were at winton woods. Your comment was needed and to be honest I can give two rabbit butts if you read a post from me again. Adam Gergen and a couple of those other guys will be great coaches soon and I pray it's guys like you that don't try to be there fans.
You are hilarious!! You school me on Comprehension?? Let me ask you this sir...When did I mention wins or losses??? Exactly I didnt, YOU sir ASSumed. So before you make an even bigger mess of this, ill accept your apology and move on!
Old 04-12-15, 04:50 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
If the youth programs, development at the grade school levels aren't happening, then the coaching may not matter. I graduated from the 1st class in 92" and Robert Hite was a child of that class. Most schools have the strength of its alumni and the merger killed the support of a lot of alums of Greenhills High School, Forest Park High, and Winton Woods High School. The merger should have happened in 1979 or so. This would have avoided the open enrollment option and private schools, some what. Race tension, academics not high, high property taxes has always been an issue. I know a lot of alums who have kids that a good in sports that took their talents elsewhere. Carlton Gray, Robert Bouldin, mine, and more would had Winton Woods talent rich for another generation. I wish Kids wrestled for my alum but they took their talents to Fairfield.
Old 04-12-15, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:

He also mentioned Demarco Kinnamore! Great kid but great coach? C'mon man!
Old 04-12-15, 09:53 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Marcus moved out of town for a promotion he got on his job! Now that hurt the program because he is an execellent coach! Demarco? Really? Very good guy but not a great coach. He also got into a little trouble so the district went another direction.