Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-19, 10:05 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Maffey View Post
You have until Mid-January to take the hydration test, what's the issue? You can make your own timeline again.

Open communication and clear goals usually eliminated the major issues, in my 15 years, for the program. If not we talked them out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Both my head coaching stops we were told basically where and when we needed to certify because it worked out with our contracted trainers and their requirement, along with ours, to certify with another team. If you don’t attempt to certify until December you’ll have issues scheduling said trainers. Now add in that if anyone has a weight loss plan that is long term you could potentially be preventing them from making their final goal.

This is all disregarding the parental and administrative expectations based on when the OHSAA declares the season to exist. If coaches operated truly independently from those expectations then this idealistic environment where “you make the schedule” could work but that’s not truly real life. You can choose to take breaks mid season, or give days off during the week, but starting weeks after everyone else would be seen as short changing the kids and would be met with hell fire from parents and administrators.

I actually don’t know that I think the season is too long, just throwing out that the idealistic view isn’t necessarily the realistic view. I think the sport has much bigger issues than the season being too long, but I’ve brought those up before and been met with a “we can grind through it” attitude towards the issues.

Last edited by Suplexer130; 05-03-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 03:37 PM
Freshman

Coach Powell is on a distinguished road
Much respect to all of the coaches and to all of your families. It's an expected grind and goes with the territory. The wrestling seasons have always run from November to March. The difference are the amount of quads and super duals. Kids are wrestling over 50 matches in a season! Pace yourself. Go as long as you can go and when it's your time to pass the program to a worthy successor, have no regrets. Good luck to you all!

#GoVikes
Old 05-09-19, 10:50 AM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
Nobody wants to look in the mirror anymore.
With faces like we have, not wanting to look in the mirror makes perfect sense.
Old 05-09-19, 10:57 AM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
This is all disregarding the parental and administrative expectations based on when the OHSAA declares the season to exist. If coaches operated truly independently from those expectations then this idealistic environment where ďyou make the scheduleĒ could work but thatís not truly real life. You can choose to take breaks mid season, or give days off during the week, but starting weeks after everyone else would be seen as short changing the kids and would be met with hell fire from parents and administrators.
This (certifying when I wanted to, having full / not full schedule, etc) is "truly real life" in both my head coaching positions (Mechanicsburg and Bellefontaine).

I explained my rationale for these decisions to the AD and in my parent meetings. Haven't had any "hell fire" yet. Some have asked more clarifying questions but never had any calls for my head. It is possible and if they don't want to follow your lead as the HC on what you believe is best for the program, then do you really want to be the HC anyway?
Old 05-09-19, 12:01 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
This (certifying when I wanted to, having full / not full schedule, etc) is "truly real life" in both my head coaching positions (Mechanicsburg and Bellefontaine).

I explained my rationale for these decisions to the AD and in my parent meetings. Haven't had any "hell fire" yet. Some have asked more clarifying questions but never had any calls for my head. It is possible and if they don't want to follow your lead as the HC on what you believe is best for the program, then do you really want to be the HC anyway?
Full schedule vs not full schedule isnít what I was discussing. Iím talking about starting official practice a full month after all other schools. Picking when you compete and against who I donít think most people would have an issue with.
Old 05-09-19, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
the tradition

of the same tournaments being held every week on a yearly basis makes it very difficult to start scheduling late. Most people have to wrestle the majority of their matches in december then coast to sectionals. The extra two week coast of waiting for sectionals is what people do not want.
Old 05-09-19, 01:57 PM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
Actually the way our schedule is built we have our least amount of matches in December…Then we pick it up in January and they actually have matches running up to the week before sectionals.
Old 05-09-19, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
so you dont

go to ironman or brecksville or medina? Thats what i am saying if you want an elite schedule you have to go to these events.
Old 05-09-19, 05:43 PM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
Yes we go to Medina
Old 05-10-19, 11:03 AM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
With faces like we have, not wanting to look in the mirror makes perfect sense.
This one made me chuckle. And it's funny because it's true.

ps: Makes you think... For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?
Old 05-10-19, 10:33 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to apologize for involving myself in the back and forth argument that's now been taken down. Though I do have my beliefs and opinions, this wasn't the appropriate place to bring them up. Though my schedule doesn't allow me to coach, I still stay as involved as possible with the sport. We're already losing coaches at an alarming rate, no need for me to get on here and be so critical.

Brian Hawley
Old 05-13-19, 01:29 PM
All American

Donkability is on a distinguished road
its a lifestyle you either live it or you dont.