Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-02-19, 11:07 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Head Coaches stepping down?

It seems like there have been quite a few Head Coaches resigning over the last few years (at least in SW Ohio). I'm wondering if this is a common trend across the State and if there is a common reason? I put in 25 years and just needed to be home more for my family. Do most people agree that the season is too long and then you go right into locking hands season (Greco/Freestyle)? And now State being held on a Sunday!!!! It's a lot for any one person to do. Maybe I'm just bias, but I think Wrestling coaches put in more time year round than any other sport. Just over the last couple of years, some big time schools like Princeton, Oak Hills, Both Lakota's, and now St X, Fairfield, and Mason this year were/are looking for new Head Coaches! Is it the parents, kids, administration, time, family, other job opportunities that are making guys leave the profession?

Last edited by Coach JDean; 05-03-19 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-19, 12:08 PM
All District

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
For me (retired after 21 years) it was 90% to be with family and 10% the headaches of coaching. Dealing with modern athletes, dealing with parents (most were fantastic but the handful of non-supportive ones can ruin everything), lack of administrative support, length of the season, etc.
Old 05-02-19, 12:17 PM
All District

heavybcat is on a distinguished road
After 25yrs. All of the above!
Old 05-02-19, 12:23 PM
All Ohio

Sweep is on a distinguished road
I think everyone agrees, season is too long. Add that in with the stupid stuff OHSAA is pulling and it starts to not be worth it. With this big of a turn over with head coaches I would bet assistant coaches is 3 times higher. Harder and harder every year to find coaches!
Old 05-02-19, 12:51 PM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
It seems like there have been quite a few Head Coaches resigning over the last few years (at least in SW Ohio). I'm wondering if this is a common trend across the State and if there is a common reason? I put in 25 years and just needed to be home more for my family. Do most people agree that the season is too long and then you go right into locking hands season (Greco/Freestyle)? And now State being held on a Sunday!!!! It's a lot for any one person to do. Maybe I'm just bias, but I think Wrestling coaches put in more time year round than any other sport. Just over the last couple of years, some big time schools like Princeton, Oak Hills, Both Lakota's, and St X and Mason this year were/are looking for new Head Coaches! Is it the parents, kids, administration, time, family, other job opportunities that are making guys leave the profession?
Well now the season is a week longer...get done Mid March. And roll in around 11 pm on a Sunday night and have to go in to work on a Monday! Thanks O.H.S.A.A....

I think you do not really get to "coach" anymore. With running a program you have kids club, travel arrangements, parents, logistics in social media like facebook, twitter, and websites, picture day and fundraisers, team gear for everyone to buy, purchasing state tickets, getting certified for van training and certified to coach through NFHSCA with CPR, concussion and all that junk, planning practice, seed meetings for sectionals and what not, running a tournament at your school, keeping parents happy, communicating snow days, checking emails and phone calls when kids want to skip/get sick....I could go on and on and on and on. It really is a LONG LONG season to endure. Over 4 months...and then you throw in weekends of spending two straight days in a gym away from your family and people start to realize what is important.

Coaching is simply not COACHING. It is more like running a corporation and managing people. Just my opinion.

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 05-02-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 01:07 PM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Well said LHS, and don't forget being a Taxi- picking kids up and dropping them off or letting them crash at your place for the night so you can make sure they can get to the tourney on time the next day.
Old 05-02-19, 01:18 PM
All American

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
add in

1. paying for the camps for the kids and hoping and hoping they actually show up to them even though they are paid for

2. sitting in the parking lot waiting after practice for parents to show up to get their kids.

taking care of hydration testing and the forms associated

scheduling scrimmages/ all star meets

working in the voting for state duals and coordinating those events

i stopped coaching after 22 years last year
Old 05-02-19, 01:20 PM
All American

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
coordinating the banquet and getting those awards picked and ordered

attending a periodic wrestling board meeting you have set up to help assist in fundraising
Old 05-02-19, 02:41 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Make no mistake, I really respect coaches for the hours they put in and the paltry sum they receive for what they do.
That said, I am going to put in a shameless plug for all retiring head coaches (or any coach) to step up and become an official. You are still actively involved in a a sport you love, the pay per hour is MUCH better, and you get the best seat in the house.
How could it get better??
Besides, you will be on the other end of those "discussions" with a coach who thinks you lost your mind on that last call you made.
If you are down Columbus way, contact Refman. He just finished his largest ever class and I am pretty sure he has another coming up this summer.
We NEED new officials!!
Old 05-02-19, 02:58 PM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
Jim, you beat me to it.

We need you all! Come aboard the ref train!
Old 05-02-19, 03:44 PM
All Region

Solomon is on a distinguished road
Great topic.

And there will be another big SW program this year with a HC stepping down. Is it epidemic-level, yet?

And wjjsj, you may not have anything to ref if there are no coaches! ;-)
Old 05-02-19, 03:58 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
I think everyone agrees, season is too long. Add that in with the stupid stuff OHSAA is pulling and it starts to not be worth it. With this big of a turn over with head coaches I would bet assistant coaches is 3 times higher. Harder and harder every year to find coaches!
Well I am in the minority I guess. I donít think the season is too long. I can tell you that I am not far from the end myself. Just more and more hoops to jump through. Every year, itís just more and more. Thatís one reason. Another reason is all these years with no assistants for the in season and off season and having to coach not only my varsity team, but also, start a youth program and coach it. Itís pretty much wore me down.
Old 05-02-19, 04:59 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I think to say

it is becoming a trend ....is pretty anecdotal way to look at something. Coaching wrestling is a huge time commitment and its a grind. I dont blame anyone for stepping down. Especially now with all the coaching certifications that the state requires.
Old 05-02-19, 06:38 PM
All Region

LPW is on a distinguished road
If the season is too long for you just start mandatory team practice after thanksgiving. Or maybe stop pre season training 5 times a week beginning in August.
You get 20 pts how about only using 15-18. There are plenty of things an individual coach/ program can do without it being mandated.
Old 05-02-19, 10:57 PM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
Great topic.

And there will be another big SW program this year with a HC stepping down. Is it epidemic-level, yet?

And wjjsj, you may not have anything to ref if there are no coaches! ;-)
True...
Old 05-03-19, 05:48 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend View Post
Well I am in the minority I guess. I don’t think the season is too long. I can tell you that I am not far from the end myself. Just more and more hoops to jump through. Every year, it’s just more and more. That’s one reason. Another reason is all these years with no assistants for the in season and off season and having to coach not only my varsity team, but also, start a youth program and coach it. It’s pretty much wore me down.
With all due respect, can I ask why you do not feel it is too long? It is 4 months now if you get a wrestler to the state meet. That is 1/3 of a year in the dead of winter. It is probably the latest state tournament in the country. lol
Old 05-03-19, 05:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
With all due respect, can I ask why you do not feel it is too long? It is 4 months now if you get a wrestler to the state meet. That is 1/3 of a year in the dead of winter. It is probably the latest state tournament in the country. lol
Because my wrestlers often express to me that they wish the season wasn’t ending so quickly. Therefore, it doesn’t add up to me. I heard it more this year than I ever have, and our season ended at the state tournament as well.

Putting my wrestlers over myself, as it does wear me down, but it’s never been about me.

Last edited by wash.c.h.legend; 05-03-19 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 06:51 AM
All Ohio

CoachYing is on a distinguished road
After 25 years I need time with my family. Following my son wrestling in college and not missing his matches the next 3 years. I can't say I was ready to retire but family comes first. This has been the best spring in a long time not running Freestyle and Greco clubs and travelling every weekend. I will be staying close to our program and helping out. Best of luck.
Old 05-03-19, 08:21 AM
All Region

td2fall is on a distinguished road
alot of this is all true.but when it comes to length of season or how many matches you wanna have your team wrestle is in the coaches hands.if you want a season to be shorter dont wrestle matches till january or take team days off during the week..you have 20 points for scheduling but no one says you have to use them all.use 8 points and wrestle 16 duals.like a dual a week.the team in the room and the coaching of it is great.but over the last 20 years the state has made the rest ridiculous
Old 05-03-19, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Great answer!
Quote:
Because my wrestlers often express to me that they wish the season wasn’t ending so quickly. Therefore, it doesn’t add up to me. I heard it more this year than I ever have, and our season ended at the state tournament as well.

Putting my wrestlers over myself, as it does wear me down, but it’s never been about me.
Old 05-03-19, 10:11 AM
All District

Coach Maffey is on a distinguished road
I agree that looking at it on a calendar it is a big strain on our families, especially if they're new or young families... BUT I don't want to lose that time with my program. I think the key to success, (I could be way off base) is scheduling. Scheduling tasks me and my staff with scheduling the proper amount of practices, team building days, lifts and events. Proper scheduling gives us the best opportunity to stay healthy, maintain/grow numbers, have parents attend and volunteer.

Honestly, I probably put more into my scheduling time wise than I do a lot of other things within the program. My personal belief is that it is the most crucial part of the season, it literally sets up the flow of season. When we hit our peaks and when we rest.

In my opinion it goes to the adage "control the controllables." I can't change if someone gets hurt, I can make sure they have the proper amount of training days to build muscle. I can also make sure they have the proper rest periods so that their bodies can/will recover.

Another element of scheduling then goes into who you compete against in regards to the talent in your program. Can they handle the tough duals? Tournaments? You have to weigh your teams, staffs, parent/community and administrations goals. This has been a struggle for me personally because I want to take bigger leaps some years than my talent wields. There's definitely a balance here I'm still working on.

Right now we, the coaches, have the ability to schedule how we see fit. I want that responsibility, not Tyler Brooks or anyone else at OHSAA. Currently 20 points is our MAX, not our minimum. There have been seasons I have only scheduled 17 points because that's what was best for my team that season.

I thought OHSAA did a great service to coaches a few years back by adding the 1/2 point for duals. It encouraged what coaches were complaining about, hours upon hours in a gym.

My current setup which produced good results in the room in terms of: leadership, accountability, health and motivation.

Monday: #MotivationMonday
-We have a theme of the day ie "gratitude" and we work in the classroom and put pen to paper. We lift and run. This is a 90 minute practice day.

Tuesday: #TechniqueTuesday
-We work in small groups on technique. I am lucky with the amount of assistants in my room. No live go's, just sparring. This is a 120 minute practice.

Wednesday: #WrestleWednesday
-We only dual on Wednesdays. I like the concept of competing on just Wednesdays for a couple reasons. We aren't cutting weight, so there's no need to waste practice time with "making weight" the day before. It gives structure! My team, parents and fans know we will only dual on Wednesdays. Everyone I know calls football "Friday Night Lights" everyone knows they play on Fridays... well at Middletown we wrestle on Wednesdays, come support your team.

Thursdays: #ThrowdownThursday
-Spar/Live Go's. 120 minutes with a lift.

Friday: #FitFriday
-Spar/drilling/make weight. 90 minutes or as needed.

Saturday: #SingletSaturday
-Wear a singlet and compete at tournaments.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, slow day at work. Also take into account my season ended after Districts, so...
Old 05-03-19, 10:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYing View Post
After 25 years I need time with my family. Following my son wrestling in college and not missing his matches the next 3 years. I can't say I was ready to retire but family comes first. This has been the best spring in a long time not running Freestyle and Greco clubs and travelling every weekend. I will be staying close to our program and helping out. Best of luck.
Good run.
Old 05-03-19, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Because my wrestlers often express to me that they wish the season wasnít ending so quickly. Therefore, it doesnít add up to me. I heard it more this year than I ever have, and our season ended at the state tournament as well.

Putting my wrestlers over myself, as it does wear me down, but itís never been about me.
Unless I interpreted this wrong, this is a good statement and I think ties into what RR mentioned above in that perspective and outside factors also contribute to the burnout. For me this wasn't a long season per se, but I personally felt January just absolutely dragged.

The last 3 seasons I've purposefully left opening weekend open and just start week 2 to give us more time to prepare but then also no point in starting that early when we end so late, and we only wrestled 2 tournaments in December and back loaded our schedule.

January was bad because our AD was forced to step down with no replacement until after the season, so each individual sport had to pick up the extra slack and I took over all Sectional Site Manager duties for our site. Several jr high meets were cancelled due to weather or no officials so then trying to get those rescheduled, that week varsity had a couple events get cancelled due to weather made that a long stretch between events. So trying to get creative in practice so it wasn't so "routine" became difficult, and some days just not having the bodies there to really have a quality practice. Then also factors outside of school/wrestling kind of added to the stress this month too.

Once February hit it seemed like a breath of fresh air for me and felt like we were really hitting our stride then. We also did not have a SQ but had a guy just miss so I was more bitter we didn't get the extra week than anything.

But yeah, calendar wise the season didn't feel that long to me because the end of the season is when I felt like things were clicking for us. It was just that one month where outside factors contributed that made it long.
Old 05-03-19, 11:41 AM
All World

We don’t practice on Saturdays. The longer calendar season actually allows for some weekends off. And if I see someone appears beat up or drained they get the day off no problem. Wrestling is brutal no matter how long the season is. But actually with a stretched out season as some say, it allows for the body to heal if managed correctly. Maybe that’s why my guys wanna keep going. I don’t know. But getting back in topic, the coach don’t get a day off. I must be there for everyone.
Old 05-03-19, 12:58 PM
All District

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
I always scheduled some days off here and there. If we had a Thursday dual and no weekend event they may get a long weekend off if its the right part of the season. We would always take off several days after our holiday event. We went to Medina a lot which was always the 28-29th or so of December so I would give them 3-4 days off after that and not usually start back up until we were back in school. It seemed to recharge them quite a bit. We also tapered down practice times as the season went on. By the last few weeks we rarely practiced more than an hour if they went hard enough.

Earlier in my career we didn't taper or take any days off and the kids were always burnt by the time the post season got there.
Old 05-03-19, 01:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
We need more wrastling, not less!
Old 05-03-19, 01:43 PM
Varsity

Styxbb is on a distinguished road
Devil's Advocate here. Coach, you get 20 points. You're only using 16. How is my kid supposed to set any records or get 60 matches like some of those other kids at state? How is my 30-0 kid supposed to compete with that kid that 45-0. You know you'd hear it.
Old 05-03-19, 02:37 PM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPW View Post
If the season is too long for you just start mandatory team practice after thanksgiving. Or maybe stop pre season training 5 times a week beginning in August.
You get 20 pts how about only using 15-18. There are plenty of things an individual coach/ program can do without it being mandated.
ďAĒ....to the ďmenĒ!!!!!

Been saying this FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COACHES MAKE THE SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to look in the mirror anymore.
Old 05-03-19, 03:39 PM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
ďAĒ....to the ďmenĒ!!!!!

Been saying this FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COACHES MAKE THE SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to look in the mirror anymore.
This sounds good in a world without hydration testing, or parents.
Old 05-03-19, 08:43 PM
All District

Coach Maffey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
This sounds good in a world without hydration testing, or parents.
You have until Mid-January to take the hydration test, what's the issue? You can make your own timeline again.

Open communication and clear goals usually eliminated the major issues, in my 15 years, for the program. If not we talked them out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk